• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Usually it's about 180-220 MB for me, but then again you probably aren't in as many group chats as I am, if I had to assume. :P

There's 8 of them in my recent list. :P

For some reason I want a big SSD.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Well, I do hope that after selling all the stuff I don't need I can afford a 480/500/512GB SSD. :)

I think 480/500/512GB SSD are pretty expensive enough, I'm not sure if I'm capable of getting SSD this big or even as high as 16 TB, atm, but if you want speed, it'll worth it.

I'm not sure when SSD will be on lower price but still maintaining the speed SSD is known for, because usually I tend to choose HDD because of lower price/GBs.

Years
    I can't imagine that SSDs are going to lessen up in price until HDDs begin to go away, which is probably such a long ways away.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think 480/500/512GB SSD are pretty expensive enough, I'm not sure if I'm capable of getting SSD this big or even as high as 16 TB, atm, but if you want speed, it'll worth it.

I'm not sure when SSD will be on lower price but still maintaining the speed SSD is known for, because usually I tend to choose HDD because of lower price/GBs.

I can't imagine that SSDs are going to lessen up in price until HDDs begin to go away, which is probably such a long ways away.

Well, we're at the point where an SSD of similar capacity to a given HDD of 1 TB is about 8x-10x more expensive...

We're doing pretty good now, though 1 TB still costs $400-500. Not too good, but remember that 250 GB SSDs used to cost that much.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I really want to get an SSD for sure. I'm just not sure if I should get one for a desktop or a laptop.

Well, the thing that you use more needs it more :)

But if you can't decide because they're equally important, laptops. Desktop 3.5" 7200 RPM HDDs aren't too shabby.

Years
    Well, the thing that you use more needs it more :)

But if you can't decide because they're equally important, laptops. Desktop 3.5" 7200 RPM HDDs aren't too shabby.
    That's what I actually have in my tower right now, but it's collecting dust because of a bulging capacitor that I wouldn't want to risk catching fire :|

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That's what I actually have in my tower right now, but it's collecting dust because of a bulging capacitor that I wouldn't want to risk catching fire :|

That thing has already failed. :(

You probably already have another storage device available now, no?

I just want to be able to drop in a 2 TB SSD when the time comes. Maybe when they're as affordable as 250 GB models are today.

Years
    So I guess the lesson learned today is that I need to label my ****. :|

(I misplaced my 16 GB flash drive with all my schoolwork and some personal files on it, but I think somebody has it because they notified me after I put up a message on Facebook)

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I should do the same, I've lost USB drives before at school and never saw them again. :(

So I had my CS midterm yesterday and I'm rather pissed off about it. Why? Here's the question:

The question itself is a good question, don't get me wrong. Where the professor went wrong is that he's discussed vectors in class in the presentation, however, we haven't had a chance to practice it in lab assignments, which is extremely unfair in my opinion. The prof is basically expecting us to write code that we haven't even had a chance to work with in an assignment until that point.

Then of course the next assignment, which was given to us AFTER the midterm, makes us use vectors.

I'm more concerned with your professor's unhealthy obsession with typedefs... Why is he teaching you to write C++ that looks like really bad C?

Years
    Got my Chromecast working again woot woot

It performed fine last night despite being the same distance from the network it once was when it was more unstable..hmm..

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So I'm currently debating between two laptops to buy. I'm not sure which I want because the specs are almost neck-and-neck with one another and I'm absolutely torn as to which to pick. Let me give a rundown:

Dell Inspiron i7737T:
    Processor: Intel core i7-5500U @ 2.4GHz
    RAM: 12GB (Unknown type)
    HDD: 1TB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 845M 2GB
    Screen: 17.3" 1920x1080 resolution
    Price: $999.97 (Clearance, in-store)

MSI Leopard Pro Gaming Laptop GP72:
    Processor: Intel core i7-5700HQ @ 2.7GHz
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    HDD: 1TB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
    Screen: 17.3" 1920x1080 resolution
    Price: $1179.99 (Regular, no sale, online, ships in a week)

The difference between the two is around $180, but it seems that the MSI has a slightly better processor and graphics card. Should I shell out that difference and go with the MSI over the Dell? I can easily afford to do it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'll be doing some moderate gaming with it, as well as all my programming and school work.

You mean significantly better CPU, and if the GTX 950M has GDDR5 memory, also significantly better GPU in favour for the MSI laptop.

Why these two machines in particular, too?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's because it's within my budget. I don't want to spend too much, but I also want a dedicated GPU.

Edit: So it seems that last night or early this morning Staples pulled the item from their site. I'm going to go down and see if I can order the item in-store and get it shipped here. It's taken me a very long time to find the laptop I want, I don't want this deal to slip from my hands.

Edit 2: So after a few phone calls, it seems that they may just be out of stock, so I've had a ticket put in to see if they're getting more of them and when I'll be able to order them again. I don't mind the slight delay, as long as I get the pricepoint that I saw online I'll be happy.

Either way, these laptops seem to be really big. Planning to get a desktop replacement?

Will you be bringing it out often?

Have you checked the exact display type?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well, it's actually a replacement for an underpowered, dying laptop. I don't have a desktop that I can efficiently make use of - the only desktop in the house is around 10 years old and doesn't have much in the way of up-to-date drivers, and is being used by my mother as a Facebook/email/realty searching machine.

I will be using it fairly often (Back and fourth between home and school), and as for the display, I can't remember the specifics, but if memory serves it had anti-glare on it, so I can play it in bright lighting conditions with little issue.

Edit: So apparently Staples discontinued the model...

But...

That's not the end of the story! I went to the MSI site to see if I could order it directly through them, and it seems that there's other Canadian retailers that sell them. One of them has the exact same laptop that I want, for a dollar less (big deal) as well as a free MSI-branded backpack (Just what I needed as mine is breaking on me!). Gonna order it later today with express shipping, coming to a grand total of $1281.16. Just gotta go and get the money from my savings. I CANNOT WAIT!

You'll love it. Especially when you get a laptop that happens to be able to do a desktop's job well.

Too bad there's probably no free plushie.

Years
    I'll complain since I'm still on Windows 8.1, but I always dislike that time of year whenever the time changes and then you have two weeks of that annoying notice on your computer's clock. :|

Years
    Okay so ordered my laptop today. Current mood:

turn it off and on again
    That's me whenever I order anything. :P

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well, now that I have a competent computer, I'll have to get in on some Steam sales! I might also pick up Skyrim, I've heard a lot about it and I want some different games to play for a change.

Try to get the Legendary Edition. Even if you don't plan to get mods, it's much better.

And quite a lot of good mods want you to have everything too.

(Also take a look at the free official high-resolution texture pack, even if you plan to use a different pack later.)

Years
    One of these days I'd love to see audio cards having the capability to handle multiple inputs just like an audio mixing board. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back