• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen UGH! Liepard is so hard to train!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Before playing Black and White, I always had interest in catching and raising a Purrloin. After finally catching one, I realized how hard it was to gain experience and level up, so I ended up giving up on training it.

What are some Pokémon in Black and White you found difficult to grind with?

Discuss, discuss, discuss!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2011
    Any pokemon with a low defense stat is really annoying to train, because they constantly faint which means running back and forth to the pokecenter every few minutes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Blitzle was the first one I had a tough time with. Thankfully, once it evolved to a Zebstrika it was so much easier to deal with. Minccino was the other one. Because of it's incredibly low defense (it was the same with Blitzle) it would continuously die, and it didn't help that 'Sing' didn't like to work half the time (70% accuracy my butt). When it evolved though, Sing seemed to gain accuracy with me and it was easier in general. It still has a problem fainting though, haha~

The other four on my team (because they're all really who I've trained) have in general were much easier to train than those two.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I had trouble initially with Klink. He was pretty weak compared to the other wild pokemon and it drove me nuts. At least I had the lucky egg to help it along.

Years
  • During my first playthrough of White, I decided that Liepard is probably the worst fully-evolved Pokemon in the 5th gen. It goes down easily and even when it does hit you, it does almost nothing. It kinda reminds me of Mightyena.

I didn't find any of my Pokemon hard to level tbh :s.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've actually raised 3 Liepards (on 3 separate save files) one to Level 39, another to Level 51 or 52 and my current Liepard is Level 61, once she starts learning hard hitting moves like Sucker Punch and Shadow Claw, she's great!

Years
  • Liepard gave me a though time but not she's one of the strongest pokemon in my team. Instead, I have a hard time with Gothorita and Litwick. They are fainting too easily...

Years
  • I had such a difficult time training my Purrloin near the beginning of the game. I persevered, though, with the preconception that Purrloin was the 5th Generation's version of Magikarp [hard to train but well worth it], and when it finally evolved into a Liepard at level 20, I was not amused.

Liepard is a joke.

Years
  • Purrloin was the very first Pokemon I caught, and she really wasn't that hard to train. Come on guys, you get two exp shares and a lucky egg in the game. When you throw in the new exp system nothing's hard to train anymore.

Liepard's Fake Out was invaluable, and it became a very helpful member of my team once it learned stronger moves.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Liepard has somewhat bad stats, so that explains it. Zoroark does it's job way better!

Mine is Tirtouga, only because I've been training it near grass. It will be an epic Carracosta though :) 3 more levels!

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    I gave up on my Liepard too. :/ Ever since I got the Lucky Egg, I've been using to train my Pokemon so I'm not really sure which one was hard to train.

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • Blitzle was tough for me, due to it's low defenses. It got better when it evolved, but I still wound up swapping it for Galvantula later.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Blitzle was tough for me, due to it's low defenses. It got better when it evolved, but I still wound up swapping it for Galvantula later.
    Co-sign!

On top of this, I had problems in the beginning training up my beloved Scraggy: less because it took ages to level up, but it doesn't evolve for ages, is quite slow and has very little HP despite its relatively high defences. Far from giving up on it, though, maybe it was the fact that it kept fainting that it endeared it to me. I love me some Scraggy (and Scrafty for that matter)!

Years

Agreed.
    It was tough for it to take many hits which just made me rage a lot; as well as having some bad luck along the way.​

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I just started White on Saturday, and so far, Purrloin has been my least favorite Pokemon to train. I finally evolved it into Liepard, and while I feel like I should keep training it after all that effort, I think it's going to be one of those Pokedex completion Pokemon that sits in my PC from now on. Who knows, maybe I'll Audino grind it later, if I feel inspired/have too much time on my hands...

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    Tynamo, Tynamo, Tynamo. >.< It looks promising on paper. No weakness, great movepool, etc. I knew it'd be hard to train in the first stage, but I figured once it evolved for the first time things would pick up. Nope. :< It was TERRIBLE to train clear through, and I finally abandoned it at Lv. 40. (The rest of my team was in the 50s.)

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I gave up on Purrloin and Blitzle too. Both were weaker than expected in Attack, and even weaker than feared in Defence. I also gave up on my Scolipede at about Lv.32, but that was because I came across new and better team members like Sandile (now a Krookodile, my best Pokemon) and my Galvantula.

Back