• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Ultimate Gen 1 Team

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2016
    So I tripped across an archived post on this site from back in 2010 about the ultimate gen one pokemon team while randomly googling pokemon. It motivated me to create this account so I could necro the topic. There are some oddities I noticed in the original post that I thought to mention.

Firstly, there is the common misconception that Chansey was a weak pokemon in gen one. There was no special attack and special defense, just special. Chansey actually had a fairly high special in gen one. Making a Chansey a strong tank vs picks like Mewtwo that relied mostly on special attacks, while actually being able to hit back with a relatively strong attack.

Secondly, there is someone mentioning how Gengar was a good pick because Ghost > Psychic. That wasn't until gen two. In gen one, Psychic pokemon mopped the floor with Gengar.

Thirdly, is the overall dismissive stance towards Gyarados. Personally I found him crazy strong, especially in link battles. He had unique typing and either due to intentional design or a glitch the game would prioritize the better type to handle whatever attack was directed towards him. Meaning if you hit him with a Grass attack, his flying subtype would take precedence and he would take half damage. This meant he had a ton of types he was strong against, with the only weakness being Electric attacks.

All that being said, my gen one team was Gyarados, Alakazam, Gengar, Dragonite, Chansey, and Mewtwo. It had solid status effects, including my two favorites confuse and paralyze, and with minimize on Chansey, Chansey became a super tank. Genger would be the secondary tank for any normal/fighting types that simply could not hit him. Alakazam would apply confuse, as well as being a heavy hitter to back up Mewtwo as Psychic types were extremely strong gen one. Dragonite and Gyarados would cover any type the others were weak against and serve as more balanced fighters.

Now in the original post, Mewtwo was banned, so if that was the case, I would probably sub in a strong electric type for him, being either Jolteon, or Zapdos. mainly to get another thunder wave besides Chansey's.

So, anyone have a different opinion and want to share it? Any feedback would be welcome.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Thirdly, is the overall dismissive stance towards Gyarados. Personally I found him crazy strong, especially in link battles. He had unique typing and either due to intentional design or a glitch the game would prioritize the better type to handle whatever attack was directed towards him. Meaning if you hit him with a Grass attack, his flying subtype would take precedence and he would take half damage. This meant he had a ton of types he was strong against, with the only weakness being Electric attacks.

I'm pretty sure this is actually just a glitch, and that Gyarados ends up taking neutral damage from Grass attacks, as should be the case.

Anyway, I dunno about the ultimate team competitive wise, but in game, I'd say...

Venusaur/Victreebel: Guaranteed critical hit with Razor Leaf, due to the critical hit mechanics in those games, and 75% accuracy sleep move (although the former doesn't get it until the end of the game).

Alakazam: Good critical hit rate/speed, good Special, could patch its weaker defense with Reflect, and it's the most broken type in the game (I'd probably replace it with Mew, if you don't mind using the Mew glitch).

Starmie/Lapras: The former's fast and powerful, while the latter's slower and bulkier, but they both get amazing type coverage, getting Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Surf, Psychic...

Zapdos: Unfortunately, you'll have to save your sole Thunderbolt TM for him (unless you use that Missingno glitch to get more), but it can use both Thunderbolt and Drill Peck pretty well.

Articuno: Yeah, it's actually not that great today, but back in R/B/Y, Blizzard had 90 accuracy, so it was at least something. It also learned both Ice Beam and Blizzard naturally, so no worries in the TM department! Its Flying STAB is Peck, but you can always teach it Fly.

As for the last slot... well, I'm not sure, honestly. Moltres comes way too late, no Gengar since we've already used the Thunderbolt and Psychic TMs... Personally speaking, I'd probably go with Dugtrio. Earthquake and Rock Slide are great physical attacks (and Dig is suitable until you get EQ, since it has 100 power in Gen I), and it gets insta-crit Slash. 80 attack isn't the greatest, but you take what you can get in Gen I.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2016
    I am actually working through a game of gen one pokemon right now in my spare time, so I will test the Gyarados typing, as currently I am going off very old memories.

I know some people really liked sleep powder, but I generally preferred thunderwave for link battles. if someone switched to a grass type with sleep powder I would generally counter swap in Dragonite with ice beam. They would either have to swap out, risk a miss, or my Dragonite waking up while they do half damage and then getting hit with ice beam.

Thunderwave however, would greatly impair a player's ability to counter attack, especially when combined with confuse, accuracy debuff abilities, and/or evasion abilities. Also, Chansey came with both thunderwave and minimize, making for some insane tankyness.

I find it interesting that people seem to like Dugtrio, as I recall his stats were mediocre, and against other players Rock and Ground types were generally food. Everyone would have at least one, if not two, either Water or Grass types on a team, and they would mop the floor with any rock or ground type as rock and ground types generally had low specials relying on physical defense and usually below average HP as well, again relying on defense, which was useless against water or grass moves.

On a side note, anyone else always buy that Magikarp before Mt Moon then level it up and bring a Gyarados in to fight Misty? I always do that, then get a Bellsprout after nugget bridge, level it to get sleep powder, then sleep an Abra, catch it, and take a Kadabra in to beat Lt Surge. After that the game is pretty easy.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    To be fair, I did say in game. ;) Not that many Persians have Surf in single player. :p

Also, I'm not sure I've ever done that, TBH. Then again, I haven't played R/B/Y in ages (outside of my crappy speedrun attempts).

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 15, 2024
    My ultimate team would be

Clefable
    Lapras
    Weezing
    Nidoqueen
    Chansey
    Exeggutor