• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hey guys, decided to see if I could do this on Blue and if I got somewhat far, I would post as a challenger for it. I then got so absorbed that I forgot to post until now; I finished a Blue Ground Monotype. I enjoyed playing with ground types and I enjoyed the monotype challenge, so I think I'll try an Ultimate Monotype Ground. I've beaten Kanto, so now I'm starting Johto...

Team at the end of beating Kanto:

Nidoqueen (Gaia) Lv 58
    Body Slam, Surf, Thunderbolt, Poison Sting
    -Most powerful pokemon, surf and thunderbolt were incredibly vital to beating the elite four.

Rhydon (Drillago) Lv 51
    Strength, Stomp, Horn Drill, Fire Blast
    - Excellent offense/defense tank, although he had a limited movepool, and limited use overall.

Sandslash (Shrewdel) Lv 53
    Slash, Swords Dance, Swift, Cut
    - Slash is a beastly move in this game. I basically used Shrewdel against any opponent I didn't have a type advantage against.

Nidoking (Terrus) Lv 52
    Blizzard, Horn Drill, Thrash, Submission
    - My first pokemon I caught that I could use. Blizzard helped against Lance, and Thrash killed a lot of everything.

Graveler (Geode) Lv 54
    Tackle, Earthquake, Rock Throw, Explosion
    - My first legitimate ground type, was incredibly useful against my rival, taking out Rhydon and Charizard.

Marowak (Kimimaru) Lv 52
    Bone Club, Bonemerang, Counter, Thrash
    - I <3 Marowak, even if he isn't *that* great. For lolz and irony, I took all of Agatha's pokemon out with it. (Cubone came from Ghost tower, she's a ghost trainer)

Overall this was a really fun challenge, I'm planned on starting a Crystal File today. Wish me luck!

Years
  • I decided to post my first update even though I haven't officially been accepted as a challenger. Anyone know how long it takes to update the list?

Umm.. it takes a while, most of the time. It depends on when alakazam wants to update it..

Starting My Normal UMC!

Picked squirtle. no particular reason, except for hm slave, maybe.

gave oak his parcel, and caught a rattata and pidgey, named them Skat and Bird. Got them to level 10 and killed my rival. made my way to pewter city and got them to level 15, then challenged brock. He was pretty easy, thanks to skats hyper fang and birds sand attack.

Caught a jigglypuff and named it puff, and entered the cave.

That's all i feel like doing right now

Skat/Ratatta

Level 16

-Tackle
    -Quick Attack
    -Hyper Fang
    -Tail Whip

Bird/Pidgeotto

Level 20

-Gust
    -Quick Attack
    -Sand-Attack
    ---

Puff/Jigglypuff

Level 14

-Sing
    -Pound
    -Disable
    ---

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Iowa
    • Seen Apr 30, 2022
    Two Gyms Down! Six more to go!

Here is my second update. I'm rather peeved that I can't post pictures of my pokemans until I have 15 posts. I believe having the pictures makes the post a little more interesting to read.

Current Location: Mt. Moon

Current Team:
    Ivysaur (Odin)
    Level: 19
    Moveset: Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Nidoran Female (Hena)
    Level: 13
    Moveset: Growl, Scratch, Tail Whip, Double Kick

Zubat (Nimbus)
    Nature: Lax
    Level: 10
    Moveset: Leech Life, Astonish

Traveling through the sub-floors of Mt. Moon Hena reached level 16 and evolved. Nice! I also snagged a Moon Stone for Hena later. After beating up a few more grunts and a Super Nerd I exited the cave, tired and low on PP. Good thing the PokeCenter wasn't to far away.

Cerulean City: Healed up and headed for the grass patch to finish grinding my team up a few levels before heading on to Nugget Bridge. Then I went North and faced off against Joraho.

Current Team:
    Ivysaur (Odin)
    Level: 20
    Moveset: Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Nidorina (Hena)
    Level: 18
    Moveset: Poison Sting, Scratch, Tail Whip, Double Kick

Zubat (Nimbus)
    Level: 17
    Moveset: Leech Life, Astonish, Supersonic, Bite

The battle went well, except for Hena and Nimbus both leaving the fight in the critical HP zone, which wouldn't have happened if I was paying attention throughout the entire fight. Oh well, onwards to Nugget Bridge!

Nugget Bridge and Route 24: I blazed past most of the trainers here, stopping to head back to the PokeCenter every now and then to refresh my team. Reached Bill's house will my team in pretty good shape level-wise for the next gym. Separated Bill (what ever happens to that Clefariy?!?) and he gave me the SS Ticket as a reward. I tied up my running shoes and raced back to the city to face off against Misty.

Current Team:
    Ivysaur (Odin)
    Level: 22
    Moveset: Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

Nidorina (Hena)
    Level: 21
    Moveset: Poison Sting, Scratch, Tail Whip, Double Kick

Zubat (Nimbus)
    Level: 21
    Moveset: Leech Life, Astonish, Supersonic, Bite

Took down Misty's lackeys with Nimbus to raise him a level and learn Wing Attack. Then Odin destroyed Misty with three Razor Leafs. Two gyms down, six to go! Healed up and saved. see you next time.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Another update on my Ultimate Flying Mono-type challenge - Sinnoh region.

Went from Wayward Cave to Rt. 210 where the Psyduck are.

Mostly screenshots today because I am not motivated to write it out, and it's been a couple days since I saved the game.

Spoiler:

Team Fargo:
    Spr_4d_207_m.png

Claw the Bashful Gligar, ♂ - L31
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Moves: Quick Attack, Faint Attack, Dig, Strength
    Spr_4d_416.png

Boss the Hardy Vespiquen, ♀ - L32
    Ability: Pressure
    Moves: Gust, Slash, Power Gem, Heal Order
    Spr_4d_169.png

Shadow the Adamant Crobat, ♂ - L31
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Moves: Pluck, Confuse Ray, Bite, Fly
    Spr_4d_397_f.png

Hawkeye the Hardy Starvaria, ♀ - L31
    Ability: Intimidate
    Moves: Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Return, Double Team
    Spr_4d_426.png

Drifter the Brave Drifblim, ♀ - L31
    Ability: Aftermath
    Moves: Gust, Swallow, Stockpile, Spit Up
    Spr_4d_400_f.png

Grunt2 the Impish Bibarel, ♀ - L16
    Ability: Simple
    Moves: Cut, Rock Smash, Rollout, Water Gun

In the box is Ducky (Psyduck) and Blue (Piplup).

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Iowa
    • Seen Apr 30, 2022
    Reaching the S.S. Anne

I started off heading towards a suspicious police officer by a house. I checked out the house and OH MY GOD, these people got ravished. Needless to say the stupid grunt that did it decided to hang out in the backyard instead of making a quick get-away and Nimbus beat his face in. Hoo-hah! Onwards towards Vermilion!

Route 6: I battled a few trainers and Nimbus level up to level 22 and evolved. Nice! Golbat pretty much pwns at this point in the game. In the same route Hena level up to level 22 as well and I decided to use the moon stone on here. Now the powerhouse that is Nidoqueen is at my command. I finished pwning the other trainers and made it to Vermilion City.

Current Team:
    Ivysaur (Odin)
    Level: 23
    Moveset: Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

Nidoqueen (Hena)
    Moveset: Poison Sting, Body Slam, Bite, Double Kick

Golbat (Nimbus)
    Moveset: Leech Life, Wing Attack, Supersonc, Bite

Vermilion City: I healed up, explored the city to get some free items like the Bike Voucher and a Rare Candy, then I headed towards the S.S. Anne to train and get HM01 Cut. I systematically destroyed all trainers in the room on the first floor, and didn't go fight Joraho yet. I need to finish off the other levels first. But I have to head to work so that is it for this time. See y'all later.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
  • Okay, schools over for me and its time to end what I had started. It's been eons, but I finally got time to do this. I'm resuming my Ground UMC in Sinnoh. Platinum will be my game of choice, and my planned team is: Torterra, Gastrodon, Steelix, Gastrodon and Gliscor.

EDIT: Started the game and I'm training my pokemon before going into Eterna FOrest. More details coming once I get to the city with the same name.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Normal UMC update!!

Made my way through mt. moon and caught cleff, the fourth member of my team. Got my whole team to level 20 (Bird to 21), evolving skat, and fought my rival. Bird and Skat killed his team easily. After healing, i entered the gym and fought misty. She was very easy. I just spammed quick attack with bird and her pokemon died in a few shots.

Fought all the way to bills and gto the ticket, and then went to the little route and caught a meowth, and named it Cat... I used the tm's mega punch and bubble beam. Punch for cleff and beam for skat. Gave puff a moon stone, evolving it at level 25. At 24, i gave Cleff a moon stone and she became a ckefable. I continued to grind all of the to level 30, evolving cat. I went on the boat, fought my rival, and got cut. I had to catch a sandshrew and teach it cut, then i challenged lt. surge. I always feel like im at a really high level at this point. I was at 32, his highest was 21. I destroyed them with skat and dig.

Made my way to and through rock tunnel and to celadon. I bought the drinks, got tms, and save one fresh water. I grabbed the eevee, but i put it away, since i didnt want to train it for that long.. I then challenged the gym. Erika was easy, all i did was spam wing attack and she went down fast.

That's all for now.

My Current Team..

Bird/Pidgeotto

Level 35

-Gust
    -Quick Attack
    -Sand-Attack
    -Wing Attack

Skat/Raticate

Level 35

-Quick Attack
    -Dig
    -Bubblebeam
    -Hyper Fang

Puff/Wigglytuff

Level 35

-Pound
    -Ice Beam
    -Body Slam
    -Seismic Toss

Cat/Persian

Level 34

-Thunder Bolt
    -Pay Day
    -Bite
    -Screech

Cleff/Clefable

Level 30

-Pound
    -Mega Punch
    -Double Slap
    -Minimize

Tony Montana

Years
  • Tony's Log #1: Tony Goes to Oreburgh Then Goes Out for his Forest Badge

-Started game, named myself Tony and my rival Barry.
    -Got Turtwig (Dee Dee), Barry got Chimchar, he challenged me to a battle but his Chimchar spammed Leer till he was KO.
    -Saw a weirdo at the lake nearby, went to Rowan's, got a Pokedex and learned how to catch a Pokémon (for the 4365417th time).
    -Went to Jubilife to give my hasty friend some stuff he had left behind, met some Looker cop.
    -Owned Barry (again) on my way to Oreburgh along with a bunch of trainers.
    -Got HM06, went to Oreburgh, did all the stuff to get Roark's arse back to the Gym.
    -Owned Roark, "unlocked" Rock Smash, Dee Dee evolved into Grotle, returned to Jubilife, protected Rowan from some weirdos.
    -Got to Floaroma, caught Shellos(Oozer), ran the Galactics out of Valley Windworks.
    -Went through Eterna Forest with some Cheryl girl.
    -Got HM Cut from Cinthia, trained a little bit.
    -Beat Gardenia and earned Forest Badge, "unlocking" cut and thus gaining access to the Nutcases' Hideout.
    -Saved in Eterna Pokémon Center.

Team:

Dee Dee/Grotle Lv 25
    Bite
    Curse
    Absorb
    Razor Leaf

Oozer/Shellos Lv 22
    Hidden Power Fire
    Harden
    Water Pulse
    Mud Bomb

More coming after beating the Lunatics and adding more members to my posse.

Last edited:

J J JUAN

Psychic Master
    Years
  • Start Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Hi, I'm now starting the UMC, with psychic-type pokemon. I'll begin with pokemon Red.

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Iowa
    • Seen Apr 30, 2022
    Tearing up the Rockets and 4th Party Member!

Update 4:

Current Location: S.S. Anne

I knocked out the rest of the trainers on the ship, took a rest and went to find Joraho so I could beat his face in. Hena pretty much took down his whole team, except Nimbus took out his Kadabra. I receive the HM from the Captin, and headed back to the PokeCenter. I decided to skip the trainers on Route 11 until I got some new team members. I figured I was a high enough level for the gym.

I taught cut to Venesaur (needed a better move than Tackle, and headed into the gym. After defeating the trainers and spending way to long on the damn trash can/switch puzzle I unlocked the barrier to Lt. Surge and got ready to throw down with him.

Current Team:

Ivysaur (Odin)
    Level: 26
    Moveset: Cut, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

Nidoqueen (Hena)
    Level: 26

Golbat (Nimbus)
    Level: 25
    Moveset: Leech Life, Wing Attack, Supersonic, Bite

Hena soloed this gym, taking out everything with her Body Slam.

After the gym I went to some grass patches and had to catch some stupid pokemon so I would have ten for the HM Flash. After that I went through Diglett's Cave and headed for the Aide.He gave me HM05 Flash, and I travel back through Diglett's cave, Odin destroyed some Digletts and a Dugtrio. Back up through the Underground Path the Cerulean. In Cerulean I picked up the Bicycle and headed towards Route 9 with my team and my Flash Slave ( that poor couple still haven't fixed their house yet :/).

Route 9: Trainers went down very easily for me team. Easy EXP. Made it to the entrance of Rock Tunnel in good shape. Healed and entered the tunnel. Glad I brought Flash with.

Update 5

Rock Tunnel: Rock Tunnel was pretty easy. I just grabbed the items, defeated the trainers and headed straight through it. MY team was in good shape when I exited that I fought the outside trainers and made it to Lavender Town in top condition.

Lavender Town: All I did was heal my team and leave. I really wanted the Silph Scope badly so I could catch my next team member before I got to over-leveled. Onwards to Celedon!

Route 12?: I managed to skip all but one trainer then made it to the underground path.

Celedon City: Healed and went to grab the coin case. Then I beat the suspicious grunt guarding the obvious poster. Hit the switch and traveled into the Hideout.

Rocket Hideout: Odin reached level 32 when I beat the first grunt and evolved into Venesuar. Sick! Well everyone else pretty much fell flat on their faces to my powerful team. Soon I was at Giovani, I made him kiss my feet when I was through with him. Muhahahahaha.

Celedon City: Healed up and grabbed some Hot Tea from a nice elderly lady. Back to Lavender!

Lavender City: I made it here by avoiding trainers and using the guards who stole my Hot Tea.... Oh well onto Pokemon Tower.

Pokemon Tower: Wait why is Joraho here?! WAIT, WHY ISN'T HIS RATICATE ON HIS TEAM ANYMORE!?!? OH MY GOD, I MUST HAVE KILLED HIS RATICATE AND HE BURIED IN POKEMON TOWER!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW HORRIBLE I AM!! Anyways he was pretty cool about it and I them stomped his ass into the ground. I headed up a floor and caught myself a Gastly, nicknamed him Bashuu. :) Since I didn't want to do the tower yet until I finished off the fourth gym I headed out and started training Bashuu.

Current Team:

Ivysaur (Odin)
    Level: 33
    Moveset: Cut, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

Nidoqueen (Hena)
    Level: 32

Golbat (Nimbus)
    Level: 32
    Moveset: Leech Life, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Bite

Gastly (Bashuu)
    Nature: Gentle
    Level: 20
    Moveset: Lick, Spite, Curse, Nightshade

That is it for this update. Stay tuned!

Years
  • Alright, updating my Ultimate Ground Challenge, I beat Crystal today, just wrapped up beating Red now. It took a *ton* of items, but it is done! My team at the endgame was:

:t075: Rocko the Graveler (Female) Lv 54

- Strength
    - Rock Throw
    - Explosion
    - Earthquake

This was the first pokemon I caught, and one of the three who I used both generations. Graveler was better in first gen, but this beast was still pretty powerful. Helped against Koga in the elite four, and took care of Red's Pikachu, Snorlax, and Charizard without too much difficulty. It's a good pokemon to have in ground runs, but I had to argue with myself as to whether to use him or Onix/Rhydon. For moveset, he's the best choice, but for stats, it can be rough.

:t031: Neo Gaia the Nidoqueen Lv 54

- Body Slam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Fire Punch
    - Double Kick

In first gen Gaia, my Nidoqueen, was my best pokemon. In this gen Neo Gaia was still a monster, and having the ability to use fire and electric attacks was incredibly useful. That being said, she wasn't *as* good this game. In the elite four she took out part of Will's team before dying, Koga's Fortress, half of Karen, and Lance's Gyarados. Overall a useful member of the team, and pretty much vital for a ground run. I imagine the Nido family would also be incredibly useful in a poison run, as well.

:t221: Bushido the Piloswine (Male) Lv 53

- Body Slam
    - Icy Wind
    - Headbutt
    - Earthquake

The second last member of the team to join, he made a good tank that could take a ton of damage. His earthquake was also brutal, and did tons of damage. He took out whatever Neo Gaia failed to do on Will, could help with Koga, and wiped a lot of Lance's team. Overall a necessity for this run in second gen, not getting one would be questionable.

:t028: Duster the Sandslash (Female) Lv 53

- Slash
    - Sandstorm
    - Dig
    - Cut

The last pokemon that I used in both this generation and last, Sandslash was powered down for this generation, unfortunately. Slash is still a great move, but it no longer is quite the same. It's still great, though. Sandstorm is a godsend in this run to deal with Sunny Day and Raindance, as both power Water type and Grass type moves (Solar Beam is a *****), and dig and cut are useful. He wasn't vital to this run, but I don't regret having him over Donphan, the classic choice for pure ground in second gen. The reason? He's much faster, so he can slash through fragile pokemon that do tons of damage (See: Psychic Type). He was damned useless against Red, but could reliably be thrown anywhere in the elite four to do some solid damage, particularly against Bruno.

:t207: Bruce the Gligar (Male) Lv 53

- Slash
    - Sandstorm
    - Swagger
    - Faint Attack

Gligar is something people typically don't bother with, and I can see why: As a ground type and a flying type he's kind of a failure, at least in this generation. Luckily I didn't want a flying type, and everything I had was ground. He ended up being quite useful, although once again he died miserably in the final battle, like Sandslash. In the elite four he was good against Will and Bruno, swagger being particularly awesome against Bruno. It also was moderately useful against Red's Venusaur, as swagger and sandstorm put a stop to Venusaur's barrage of Solar Beam long enough to get Bushido out to kill it. Otherwise, good for this run, but not irreplaceable.

:t195: Mudman the Quagsire (Male) Lv 54

- Ice Punch
    - Amnesia
    - Surf
    - Earthquake

This is the Gaia of last run, being by far my most useful pokemon. In the elite four it could take most of Will's team, parts of Koga's team, half of Karen's team, and a few of Lance's team, although typically an outrage killed him. In the last battle he was even more indispensable, taking out Blastoise and Espeon due to use of Amnesia. Even outside boss battles, he was the best pokemon to have on the field, and is the pokemon this run that was required. Nearly every other pokemon, with the potential exception of Bushido, could have been switched, but Mudman was pretty much necessary. Probably would do very well in an all water type run, as well.

So with that, Crystal is out of the way. Thinking I'll start third gen later today, although I feel like third gen might break me. (Training for the league in that game is so long and repetitive.) Anyways, that's crystal, see you guys later.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    Yay for challenges! I'm going whole hog and doing a FIRE type ULTIMATE CHALLENGE! That's right, fire type, overall the hardest to use, weakest movepool, pokemon. :) Let's get cracking!

First game is Yellow. (For the record, I'll be going Yellow-Silver-Sapphire-Platinum-Black) So, in true challenge style, I now go to train my Pikachu to face Brock. This is going to be fun!

First Update: Shot Pidgeys on Rt. 1 until I got to Lv. 10. Then took up the storyline, gave Oak his custom Pokeball. Back up to Viridian, I went in the Mart. Well, not much point in buying balls for now. So, I spent everything on Potions. :D I entered the Forest with a level 12 Pikachu, and trained and trained and trained. Finally, I got to level 14. Out in Pewter, I entered the gym. Took down the trainer in there with spammed Quick Attacks to get to level 15. Double Team! 8D Healed, and saved next to Brock.

I had a strategy going in, but I had no idea if it would work or not. He sent out Geodude, and I just let it hit me while I used Double Team again and again. 6 DTs later, Geodude could hardly hit me at all. I did have to use one potion to beat it, but it wasn't too bad. Pikachu got a nice chunk of EXP, and Brock sent out Onix. I tried a Quick Attack, but it did so little damage that even with the DTs I knew that was pointless. So, I spammed Tail Whip. Yes, Tail Whip. 6 Tail Whips and 1 potion later, I had a slightly brighter outlook on the battle. It took forever, with him missing almost every turn and me still doing a tiny amount of damage. There was one sticky spot where he hit a Bind and Pikachu's HP dropped rather alarmingly, but I persevered and eventually made it out alive! O.O First try!

Battle summary: 3 Potions used, no faints, 1 level gained.

I saved, healed, and headed to Mount Moon!

Last edited:

IDoLikeMudkip

Master of Nothing
    Years
  • Anyway, i am back, and very bored....but the fact of the matter is I have lost all of my pokemon data...and so i have to start over on the Sinnoh section of the my ultimate monotype run....and so i did

and I got through everyting i had gotten through again, i am back in Eterna city, with my Leaves (Grottle), and Rosebud Jr. (Budew)

and yes, that is where I and is where i shall start again some other day

Tony Montana

Years
  • Beat the Galactics out of Eterna and got two new pokémon on my team. Tony´s Log #2 coming after getting my team at the same level (which would be about 27). Time to train I guess...

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Oh, wow I completely forgot about my mono-challenge! I don't even know if I still have my save in Platinum!
    btw Just a question.
    Is Isshu required even though it isn't in English yet?
    Sorry if this has been answered already! I'm 2 lazy to read 40 pages just looking for an answer! lol

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • I'm feeling bored today, so an Ultimate monotype challenge seems to be the perfect way to waste time. :D

Starting in FR with the Water type.

Last edited:

J J JUAN

Psychic Master
    Years
  • Psychic UMC

J J JUAN reporting, while playing pokemon Red. I'm in the Rock Tunnel, my current team is.

Kadabra Lv 35
    Hypno Lv 30
    Mr. Mime Lv 31
    Drowzee Lv 23
    Abra Lv 10
    Oddish (Cut slave) Lv 13

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • Ok I've tried to do this update 3 times now and m laptop keeps cutting out.
    Suffice it to say I've beaten Koga and I think I saved after catching and evolving a Tentacool. I'll update properly in a while, I'm not feeling well. :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back