• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Oh joy. Breaking into the Mahogany Rocket Hideout is so much fun... I'm looking forward to getting the Red Scale, though. And the sooner I'm through Ice Path, the besser.

Better.

And it's Fisher Tully on Route 42 that gives Water Stones, for whoever needed/needs that info.

subame

I control the spice!
Years
Blarg...more Platinum....
-Note: I've started replaying the Ruby Destiny hack number one....it has been eating my time today
-Cleared out gym #6, the thing that gave me the most problems was Bronzor....
-Beat Byron, Focus Blast 1-shots FTW
-You know, in retrospect, Romantic Poets are tough...
-Took care of Lake Valor, evolving Jezebel in the process..
-Visited the Move Re-learner
-Beat Saturn, he was suprisingly durable (I say that a lot)
-Went to Verity and beat Mars, Purugly Ko'd Jezebel. Deppressing, eh?
-Stocked up to journey North.
-Set out to Snowpoint...or wherever..
Badges:6

Seraph Lv39F
Poison Point-Impish-Big Root
Giga Drain
Magical Leaf
Hyper Beam
Toxic

Bram Lv40 M
Inner Focus-Quiet-none
Pluck
Aerial Ace
Confuse Ray
Bite

Bonnie Lv40-F
Dry Skin-Naive-none
Revenge
Focus Blast
Nasty Plot
Mud Bomb

Jezebel Lv41 F
Sniper-Bold-None
Poison Fang
Ice Fang
Fire Fang
Thunder Fang

-------------

Freya

Squee!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2016
Ack. . . I started the dragon-type challenge months ago, got to johto, and my psp decided to die :/ So I'm going to do johto again, this time on gold ^_^

luciachan

PokeSpe Fangirl
Years
Hmm...this seems like fun and I need an excuse to play fire red again.

So I noticed that no one has done a mono-run for steel, may I be the first to start one. I will trade over a magnemite at lv 5 (bred with ditto
)from leaf green as soon as I get the pokedex.

Well Good Luck to everyone else doing this challenge!

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 37 - Gonna Start All Over Again

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 0
Generation: III (on Emerald)

Log
:
It's been a while since Tyson and Arwen and I defeated Red on Mt. Silver. A week after I arrived back in New Bark Town, I packed up my belongings and went back to Pallet Town. I was happy to see that Ringo, Trixie, and Felix were doing well. A few days later, my mom told me that we would be moving to Littleroot Town in the Hoenn region, so we could be closer to my father, who is a gym leader there.

Unfortunately, I was stuck in the moving truck the entire way there. When we arrived in Littleroot, I went upstairs to set my clock, and I retrieved my extra Potion from my PC. Bed. Check. PC. Check. Gamecube. Check. I went back downstairs and my mom told me to say hi to our neighbors. I met a girl named May, and she told me that she is also a Pokemon trainer, and that her father is a professor. I went to his lab and was told to check in the fields.

Suddenly, I heard a scream! I ran up and saw the professor being chased by some little racoon thing. I saw three Poke Balls in the grass, and I threw the first one I saw. This little orange chick... thing came out. I wasn't familiar with Hoenn Pokemon, but it was better than nothing. Luckily, I managed to save Professor Birch. He invited me to his lab and told me I could keep the Pokemon (it's called a Torchic). I named her Zara.

He suggested that I go see May. I went up north past a place called Oldale Town, and I tried to go west. Some guy with glasses panicked and stopped me, yelling, "No! These are the footprints of a rare Pokemon! I have to sketch them!" I shrugged and continued northward. I saw May, and she challenged me to a battle. She sent out what looked like a Water-type Pokemon (is it just me, or is there some deja vu going on?). Thanks to some training we did earlier, Zara managed to beat it.

When we got back to the lab, Professor Birch gave me a new Pokedex (apparently, that was called a Mudkip, and earlier I saw a Zigzagoon). May also gave me 5 Poke Balls. I met up with my mom and she gave me Running Shoes as presents. With Zara at my side, I walked out of Littleroot and into a new adventure.

Team:
pkrs004.gif

Zara (Level 8)
- Scratch
- Growl
- Focus Energy

---

I like these "creative-writing" diary-ish logs. But they're so long! AARGH. And I swear there is a method to my madness for nicknames.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Actually, the reason that you have seen no Steel runs, or Dark runs, is because of Rule 6: "Due to the fact that they didn't exist in RBY, Dark and Steel teams will be disallowed."

Although you're more than welcome to do an electric run that way...

luciachan

PokeSpe Fangirl
Years
Oh...I though it would be OK since steel is a type in Fire Red

Well in that case I'll take my second favorite type: Psychic!

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 37 - Gonna Start All Over Again

Log:

It's been a while since Tyson and Arwen and I defeated Red on Mt. Silver. A week after I arrived back in New Bark Town, I packed up my belongings and went back to Pallet Town. I was happy to see that Ringo, Trixie, and Felix were doing well. A few days later, my mom told me that we would be moving to Littleroot Town in the Hoenn region, so we could be closer to my father, who is a gym leader there.

Unfortunately, I was stuck in the moving truck the entire way there. When we arrived in Littleroot, I went upstairs to set my clock, and I retrieved my extra Potion from my PC. Bed. Check. PC. Check. Gamecube. Check. I went back downstairs and my mom told me to say hi to our neighbors. I met a girl named May, and she told me that she is also a Pokemon trainer, and that her father is a professor. I went to his lab and was told to check in the fields.

Suddenly, I heard a scream! I ran up and saw the professor being chased by some little racoon thing. I saw three Poke Balls in the grass, and I threw the first one I saw. This little orange chick... thing came out. I wasn't familiar with Hoenn Pokemon, but it was better than nothing. Luckily, I managed to save Professor Birch. He invited me to his lab and told me I could keep the Pokemon (it's called a Torchic). I named her Zara.

He suggested that I go see May. I went up north past a place called Oldale Town, and I tried to go west. Some guy with glasses panicked and stopped me, yelling, "No! These are the footprints of a rare Pokemon! I have to sketch them!" I shrugged and continued northward. I saw May, and she challenged me to a battle. She sent out what looked like a Water-type Pokemon (is it just me, or is there some deja vu going on?). Thanks to some training we did earlier, Zara managed to beat it.

When we got back to the lab, Professor Birch gave me a new Pokedex (apparently, that was called a Mudkip, and earlier I saw a Zigzagoon). May also gave me 5 Poke Balls. I met up with my mom and she gave me Running Shoes as presents. With Zara at my side, I walked out of Littleroot and into a new adventure.

Team:
pkrs004.gif

Zara (Level 8)
- Scratch
- Growl
- Focus Energy

---

I like these "creative-writing" diary-ish logs. But they're so long! AARGH. And I swear there is a method to my madness for nicknames.

Well, Camerupt isn't THAT bad, and Torkoal has pretty good stats (besides speed, but Blazekin and Ninetails are fast enough), so the run won't be to bad. But if I was forced to play Diamond or Pearl in Fire, I would just solo with Infernape, cause Rapidash sucks.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Hmmm...thinking about rule #6, shouldn't dark/steel types be allowed because in Gen3 in the RBY remakes you can get steels, and are therefore obtainable? Ya know, just saying.

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Well, Camerupt isn't THAT bad, and Torkoal has pretty good stats (besides speed, but Blazekin and Ninetails are fast enough), so the run won't be to bad. But if I was forced to play Diamond or Pearl in Fire, I would just solo with Infernape, cause Rapidash sucks.

I have reasons for hating Camerupt. : P

I like Torkoal and all (a turtle that isn't a water type? what a concept!), but I'm one of those people that likes to get things done fast. I'm afraid I'm going to train it up to a nice level, and then I'll bring it to face Wallace and I'll get outsped and Surfed/Hydro Pumped/Water Spouted/etc. away. I'm not planning on grinding like crazy and overleveling either.

And that's why I'm going to use Platinum. They have Houndour, so I won't be stuck with a crazed monkey and a horse on fire.

---
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 38 - Of Rivals and Creepy Stalkers

Log
:
After stocking up on some Potions, I started west of Oldale. I stopped by to talk with that guy who was sketching the Pokemon footprints. He sighed and told me that they were only his own footprints.

A trainer stopped me and reminded me that whenever two trainer's eyes meet, it's time for a battle. What does he think I am? A beginner? Zara eventually learned Ember! I made it to Petalburg City and, after healing Zara, went straight to the Pokemon Gym. I was happy to see my dad and his Pokemon. Suddenly, a boy with green hair came in. He introduced himself as Wally, and asked my father to lend him some Pokemon so that he could catch one for himself. My dad agreed and I offered to go with Wally to help him.

We went outside, and I told him to look in the tall grass. In no time, we found a Ralts. Wally weakened it with a Zigzagoon and caught it! We went back to the gym, and he thanked us. I wanted a battle with my dad, but he suggested that I challenge the gym in the next town instead. He promised that we would battle after I got 4 badges.

When I walked out, a man in sunglasses and a blue shirt stopped me. He looked at me thoughtfully and mumbled something about looking for trainers with talent. Before I had time to say that I had beaten both the Kanto and Johto Elite Four, he walked off. Hmph. It's not like he's going to show up again and become an important person or anything like that. That would be crazy.

---

Okay, fine. I admit. I'm in a creative writing mood, and it's kinda fun.

And I just realized something. I don't recall if Blaziken can learn Flamethrower by level up. And I can't remember where you get the TM for Flamethrower... wait. Isn't that the one you buy at the Game Corner for a ridiculous amount of money...? That's not good. I need that money for Hyper Potions!

Edit: I feel sorry for Wally. He's going to have a gender-confused Gardevoir (aka a male one). Too bad Gallade isn't in this generation. It makes me wonder why the game designers created male Lopunnys and female Machamps. Ugh.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Rule 6 exists because you have to go through all the generations with the same type, and it's impossible to get one of the types before the Elite Four even with trading in the remakes (and the other would be a solo run anyway).

That, and it's TRADITION!

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
I have reasons for hating Camerupt. : P

I like Torkoal and all (a turtle that isn't a water type? what a concept!), but I'm one of those people that likes to get things done fast. I'm afraid I'm going to train it up to a nice level, and then I'll bring it to face Wallace and I'll get outsped and Surfed/Hydro Pumped/Water Spouted/etc. away. I'm not planning on grinding like crazy and overleveling either.

Camerupt = awesome type coverage.

Blazekin can learn Blaze Kick, which is the same power as Fthrower, but with an increased Crit rate and a slight miss rate.

And Torkoal can survive a water attack at a decent level, but why aren't you just using Blazekin to sweep his team? Because at a high enough level, Blazekin can still sweep with Sky Uppercut (or Brick Break), Blaze Kick, Return/Slash, and Overheat.

Years
Player: mondays suck
Type: Dragon
Badges: 16

Generation: II (Crystal)

I had stopped with 13 badges, only the stuff after Snorlax being left. The last 3 badges were easy, against Brock and Blaine I had a type advantage, against Blue (I just noticed that they all start with B, was that done on purpose?) some of his Pokemon survived a hit, but none of them could do anything to Kingdra.

Red Time!
230.gif
VS
025.gif
First turn, I set up Rain while Pikachu uses Charm. Too bad my Kingdra is a pure Special attacker... A Surf OHKOd then.
230.gif
VS
196.gif
Espeon survived a Surf with very low HP, but luck remained on my side and it set up Reflect and died the next turn.
230.gif
VS
143.gif
Surf did about 1/3, Snorlax used Amnesia. I was already thinking this could take a while, but then I got a crit Surf and KOd Snorlax. Is more luck possible? Oh, and I think Rain must have stopped here, but because I was playing at high speed, I didn't notice it
230.gif
VS
003.gif
Instead of using Ice Beam, I misclicked and used Surf which did pretty much nothing. Venusaur first charged his
Solarbeam then, survived my Ice Beam, and I can't exactly remember the rest, but somehow it set up Sun. Or maybe it first set up Sun and then used Solarbeam...? I really should stop playing even bosses at high speed...
230.gif
VS
009.gif
Dragonbreath is not exactly the most powerful move out there, so Blastoise took some hits to die. I don't know what it exactly did in its turns, but the only damaging thing it did was a Blizzard that did surpisingly much, but then again not enough to endanger my victory. Probably it was paralyzed and/or set up Rain in its turns.
230.gif
VS
006.gif
Surf OHKOd.

ogg9c4_th.png

Final Team:
kingdra.png

Poseidon / Kingdra m Lv.76
@ Leftovers
- Dragonbreath
- Rain Dance
- Surf
-
Ice Beam
Seriously, I never finished a Johto game before with a total level as low as that. And Kingdra was even traded...

On to Ruby, where I will finally use more than 1 Pokemon! But first I will have solo all the way to Fallarbor or what the town where Swablu lives was called again, because I'm not in the mood to have to try 20 times for a successful trade

Last edited:

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Camerupt = awesome type coverage.

Blazekin can learn Blaze Kick, which is the same power as Fthrower, but with an increased Crit rate and a slight miss rate.

And Torkoal can survive a water attack at a decent level, but why aren't you just using Blazekin to sweep his team? Because at a high enough level, Blazekin can still sweep with Sky Uppercut (or Brick Break), Blaze Kick, Return/Slash, and Overheat.

I guess I'm just not fond of Camerupt's design. I choose Pokemon on design, not necessarily usefullness.

I thought Blaze Kick had 85 base power while Flamethrower had 95? Or maybe I'm forgetting/missing something? It's been a while since I've use a Blaziken.

You mean, like, solo-ing the game with Blaziken? Or just getting Blaziken to some ridiculous level and just beasting the Elite Four? Because I don't think there's any fun in that. I probably could sweep all the games with my starter, but I'd get bored of sending out the same Pokemon every single time. I personally like a little variety. Meh. That's just me. I know I'm complaining about facing Wallace and all that, but I really do like the challenge.

---

Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 39 - I Know Kung-Fu

Badges: 1

Log
:
I decided to continue onward through the Petalburg Woods, training Zara along the way. I decided to catch a Taillow, and I named it Tanya just for the heck of it. Then, a man came up and asked me if I had seen a Shroomish. Before I could answer, a guy wearing a blue bandana rushed up and attacked us! But his Poochyena was no match for Zara. He walked away, mumbling something about "Devon Goods." The man I helped suddenly panicked and ran off after him.

When I got out of the forrest, I saw some weird fruits growing on trees. Apparently, they're Berries. They didn't look like any of the Berries from Johto. And then, two girls stopped me and asked me for a double battle. Unfortunately, Tanya fainted in the battle after Zara's Ember "accidentally" hit her.

I made it to Rustburo City, but I decided to go north for some more training. The residents of the city told me that the Gym Leader, Roxanne, uses Rock types, and that Fire types don't work well against them. We'll show them. I decided to catch a Nincada, and I named it Nick. After our training, Zara evolved into Combusken and learned Double Kick! I knew I was ready, so I went to the Gym and destroyed all the Geodudes with Fighting attacks.

Roxanne's Geodudes were also no match. Then she sent out a... Nosepass? A giant rock with a giant nose? I'm still trying to figure out what that thing was. Despite that, Zara's Double Kick was enough to win the battle. At least I got the badge in the end, but I'm still confused about the Nosepass. Next thing you'll be telling me is that in Hoenn, there are camels with volcanoes on their backs. Now that would be crazy.

Team:
pkrs005.gif

Zara (Level 19)
- Ember
- Double Kick
- Peck
- Scratch

---

My creativity is running out. Back to boring logs/shorter ones later.

Last edited:

subame

I control the spice!
Years
Actually,so far, this run hasn't been too much trouble, especially now with Psychics out of the way....

-Trudged on to Snowpoint
-Beat Candace, Focus Blast, Fire Fang, or Poison Jab one to two shotted everything
-Assaulted Team Galactic HQ
-Fought Cyrus...a tad harder than before...However, he is much better than Giovanni, Archie or Maxie..
-About it

Seraph Lv41 F
Poison Point-Impish-Big Root
Giga Drain
Magical Leaf
Hyper Beam
Toxic

Bram Lv44 M
Inner Focus-Quiet-none
Pluck
Aerial Ace
Confuse Ray
Bite

Bonnie Lv43 F
Dry Skin-Naive-none
Mud Bomb
Poison Jab
Focus Blast
Nasty Plot

Jezebel Lv45 F
Sniper-Bold-none
Poison Fang
Ice Fang
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang

The team is doing pretty well, movesets almost finalized, getting ready for Coronet and the Distortion World.....I don't really predict any major future problems.....except for Buck...he may cause issues...

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 40 - Grah! Keelhaul it all!

Badges: 2

Log
:

• Retrieved the Devon Goods from the Team Aqua member, who says, in my opinion, the best line ever, so I decided to honor him by putting his quote in the title.
  • Tried to figure out how to pronounce "Devon." Dev-In? Dee-Von? De-Von? Deh-Ven? Oh well. Whatever.
  • Got the Devon Goods and Steven's Letter.
  • Fought May outside Rustburo. Whoa, didn't expect that one. She has a Torkoal? Seriously?
  • Sailed with Mr. Briney to Dewford.
  • Apparently, "Tasty Commemorate" is the hottest thing in Dewford. I'm not ever sure what that means. Usually, the phrases that the game comes up with make a little bit of sense, but this just confuses me.
  • Challenged the Dewford Gym. Freakin' Meditites and their Detect move.
Battle Against Brawly:

• Yes, he has a separate segment for one reason. So, his Machop went down to a lucky Critical Double Kick. Not too hard.
  • I used Peck on Meditite, and it used Reflect, so I switched to Ember.
  • Finally, comes Makuhita. Ah, Makuhita. Makuhita is awesome and all, and I love Hariyama, but... ugh. I couldn't use Ember in case Makuhita had Thick Fat, and I was afraid of burning it and activating Guts (I've had incredible luck with burning opponents so far), so I used Double Kick. He used Bulk Up, so Double Kick did even less, and the Reflect was still up. He used Reversal, which did about a third, and his Sitrus Berry activated. He continued to Bulk Up, while Reflect finally wore off. He used Vital Throw, which left me with 15 HP, and Brawly used a Super Potion. I decided to use a Super Potion as well. A turn or two later, he used Reversal, and Zara fainted. Aw hell naw.
  • Attempt number two. Machop went down easily again, though he got in a Karate Chop, and Brawly wasted a Potion. He used another Potion on Meditite, but Zara fainted it before it set up a Reflect. Double Kick does a lot more on Makuhita, now. He Bulked Up and used its Sitrus Berry, but my next Double Kick Critical'd. YES WIN. First time I've ever lost to Brawly.
Team:
pkrs005.gif

Zara (Level 23)
- Ember
- Double Kick
- Peck
- Scratch

---

I made the executive decision to add a Torkoal to my team. I've never trained one before, so it should be interesting. Now, for a nickname... I'm torn between a few.

BlackRay

The other trainer.
Years
I changed it to electric and I will be playing YELLOW

{Hopefully they will make Kanto remakes -_-'}

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back