• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
Years
  • I'll do this! Hmm.... I'm going to go for poison :D

I come into pewter town and catch Nidoran (m) and Nidoran (F)

I train both of them and battle brock.

Brock was pretty easy as i found out that both of these little fellas learn Doublekick :D

Team:

Nidoran (f) Level 15
    Moveset:

Growl
    Tackle
    Scratch
    Doublekick

Nidoran (M) Lvl 12
    Moveset:

Growl
    Tackle
    Horn-attack
    Double kick

Brock was pretty damn easy ^^

Before entering MT Moon i evolve both of my Nidorans. Then i go through MT moon.

Whilst in MT Moon i find a moon stone and evolve Nidiorino into Nidoking :D Unfortunatly i didn't find both of the Moon stones so i don't have Nidoqueen YET!

I enter Cerulean and go to bills house then i fight the gym leader Misty.

My team:

Nidorina Lvl 25
    Moveset:

Growl
    Tackle
    Scratch
    Double Kick

Nidoking Lvl 23 - I know why is my epicz pokemon lower then my 2nd evolved one :S
    Moveset:

Poison sting
    Trash
    Horn-Attack
    Double kick

Misty was pretty hard took me three times to beat her. I had to spam double kicks on staryu and then use Nidoking using horn-Attack as double kick did like no damage.

Finally i beat her and recieve the badge and everything.
    Time to go see Lt. Surge :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • ... I'll have to look up where to get the VS Seeker in Ruby (never found it yet)

There isn't one. VS Seeker wasn't introduced until FR/LG.

I went through the S.S. Anne. Fred is leveling really fast. Beat Green with ease and got Cut from the captain. Taught it to Paras.

I got off the S.S. Anne and traded my Spearow for Dux the Farfetch'd. I taught Cut to Dux as well.

Went to the Gym. Fred evolved to a Charizard while I was beating the trainers in there.

I was dreading the lock puzzle, but I made record time. It was the one closest to the door, and I got the second on my first try. Lt. Surge was pathetic. Voltorb and Pikachu both went down to one Slash each. Fred is so fast, and coupled with Slash's high crit ratio, every hit is critical. Raichu got off a Thunderbolt, but it barely did anything.

I got the Thunder Badge and the Thunderbolt TM, which I sold, because no Fire Pokemon can learn it.

I then headed to the Poke Mart and sold all my useless TMs and Potions, as I was constantly throwing them away on the S.S. Anne.

I realized that I would need Flash soon. I went through Diglett's Cave and back to Pewter City for the Old Amber, then caught a Rattata and evolved my Clefairy. That made 10 Pokemon that I owned, so I went to Oak's aide and got Flash. Taught it to Clefable and went back through the Cave to Vermillion.

Now I'm at Route 9. I'll be heading through Rock Tunnel soon.

Current Team:

Fred Lv. 36
    Mega Punch
    Slash
    Ember
    Leer

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • There, the first page is updated again, people! :D

A lot of interesting teams I've been seeing, including the first batch of HgSs players here. You guys are making me want to continue my own challenge now. X3

Nikorasu

Years
  • i've done loads today ;)

Went through the S.S anna and beat Abbd, got cut
    Got into 3rd gym and fought L.T surge.
    Nidorina hit little and got one hit koed.
    Nidoking beat his raichu with 10hp to spare.

My team:

Nidorina lvl 26
    Moveset:

Growl
    Tackle
    Scratch
    Double kick

Nidoking Lvl 26
    Moveset:

Poison sting
    Thrash
    Horn-Attack
    Double Kick

Time to go fight erika, Wish me luck through Rock tunnel >.<

Found another moonstone and got flash.
    Evolved Nidorina to Nidoqueen

Got through rock tunnel with flash but got beaten by the guy right outside it >.<
    Had to go through again.

Finally got to Erika. Defeated her with Nidoqueen on low hp and Nidoking fainted.

My team:

Nidoking Lvl 34
    Moveset:

Poison sting
    Thrash
    Horn Attack
    Double kick

Nidoqueen Lvl 30
    Moveset:

Thunderbolt
    Tackle
    Scratch
    Double kick

Zubat Lvl 18 - Couldn't be bothered to gring him before Erika.
    Moveset:

Leech life
    Supersonic
    Bite

Slaves:
    Charmander - Cut
    Pikachu - Flash

After beating Erika i went to the game corner and owned team rocket. I beat Giovanni with Nidoqueen alone ^^

I went to the lavender graveyard tower. And owned Jessy and james :)

Then when i got to Koga i caught a Venonat to use but didnt train it cause once again i cba.

I was getting owned by koga quite alot >.< but FINNALY AFTER AROUND 20 TRYS I beat him :D
    Both my pokemon were level 38 at the start of trying to beat koga.

Heres my team after.

My team:

Nidoking Lvl 42
    Moveset:

Poison sting
    thrash
    Horn drill - 8 of my trys were trying to one hit k0 venomoth. Guess what? Venomoth is unaffected for this attack >.<
    Double kick

Nidoqueen Lvl 44 - Thanks to this pokemon i managed to beat Koga :) i massed thunderbolt on all his pokemons
    Moveset:

Thunderbolt
    Tackle
    scratch - need to get rid of those 2 moves >.<
    Double kick

Now i need to go fight sabrina. Man shes gonna be hard. Especially has Psychic > Poison :(

I get into saffron city and got to Silph Co. I go and beat get givern the masterball.

Now its time to do what i dread >.< Fight Sabrina.

I'll add pictures later

Last edited:
    Years
  • No Vs.Seeker? Well, then i have to continue training against these annoying status-inducing Roselias or Electrikes and i guess my only infinite pre-Elite 4 source of money are Zigzagoons, i'll have to catch some of them...
    Even though it will be not very effective against Wattson's entire team, i'm pretty sure it will help against him, since all my moves are not very effective.

But i have an idea: I might train my Mudkip (or would that be against the rules), evolve it into Marshtomb, teach it Mud Shot and breed that on Surskit (i just found out Surskit it not only in the Bug Egg group - and that eggs from it and the Nincada have Flash, which i don't really want on Surskit.)

So would the Mud Shot Surskit be illegal in a mono bug, or might i use it?

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    As long as you don't beat any important trainers (ie. gym leaders, rival) with it, I don't think it's illegal.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

:D
    I defeated Moltres in the Victory Road :D
    Team:

EpicPwnage/Blastoise
    Level 52
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Dig
    ~ Bite
    Awesome in the earlier parts, but inferior to Gyarados in the end.

DragonDanc/Gyarados
    Level 53
    ~ Surf
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Blizzard
    ~ Fire Blast
    This thing was awesome in the early parts, and phenomenal in the end. MVP for sure.

Move me to Johto! :D

Years
  • There isn't any trainer besides Wattson i can already access and didn't fight yet. Oh wait, theres Brawly, i completely forgot about him, but whatever. Well, I grinded the Mudkip to level 16 and put the new Marshtomb into daycare. Now i have a Jolly Surskit with Mud Shot and a Modest Surskit with Flash (from the only egg by Nincada), which i'm of course going to delete as soon as i reach Lilycove. Time to grind them into their 20s.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I had the same problem some time ago. I ended up not breeding, but my view is that it is NOT illegal.

Anyway, finally got to the E4. Here are my comments on the most important battles:

Candice: Swords Dance + Bullet Punch lol. Seriously.

Cyrus: He was a pain in the Distortion World. I had had a VERY bad experience with him on my Mono-Poison (wasn't registered here, and I only did it on the 4th gen) due to his Weavile, so I knew I would have to face him with my +6 Attack Scizor. Problem is, Houndoom pretty much OHKO'd everything, aside from Vespiqueen. So I ended up PP stalling Houndoom thanks to Roost and Defense Order, then let Vesp die, switched out to Scizor, Swords Dance till +6, then sweep away.

Volkner: Lol. Stalled out of Charge Beams by Vespi, then switch to SD Scizor, and lawlbie. >_>'

Oh, oh oh oh! And I caught a Shiny Psyduck! I know it's nto usable, but it was my very first random shiny catch finding! :D

So, after having bought TONS of Full Restores, Revives, Hyper Potions and Full Heals, here is my team for the E4 Challenge:

Martyr, the Kricketune @ Razor Claw
    Swarm Ability
    Adamant Nature
    Level 55

~ X-Scissor
    ~ Return
    ~ Aerial Ace

~ Perish Song

The only change was Sing for Perish Song. He's too slow to be a reliable status inflicter, and Singi sn't that good either. So I suppose Perish Song can help me against the last pokes of each E4 member. Specially Flint. I'm really scared of him.
    Martyr is somewhat reliable. As I've said before, he's my secondary physical sweeper. His happiness is Maxed, and Razor Claw is there to give him the extra Critical Hit chance.

Mel, the Vespiqueen @ Leppa Berry
    Pressure Ability
    Bold Nature
    Level 56

~ Power Gem
    ~ Defend Order
    ~ Roost
    ~ Toxic

Yeah, this thing did not have any changes. Quite useless on the majority of regular trainer battles (mostly leveled via Exp. Share), but VERY handy on the most important ones. Rock Gem could be replaced by Sludge Bomb for higher damage, but I value too much the protection against flyers and the power to hit steels. Aside from that, it's your usual Toxic Staller. Defend Order gives +1 Def and +1 Sp. Def, Roost recovers HP (and eliminates ice/thunder/rock weakness), and Toxic... you know the drill. Leppa Berry is there to restore PP if I run out of Roosts and need to stall the enemy a little bit longer.

Raziel, the Scizor @ Silk Scarf
    Technician Ability
    Adamant Nature
    Level 55

~ Quick Attack
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ X-Scissor
    ~ Swords Dance

A true beast. This physical sweeper spreads panick among other pokes. Swords Dance and hack away. X-Scissor if I know I can take the hit but need a REALLY strong move. And tere really is not much else I can say. Silk Scarf is there to power up its Quick Attack.

Monday, the Yanmega @ Fist Plate
    Tinted Lens Ability
    Rash Nature
    Level 59

~ Bug Buzz
    ~ Ancient Power
    ~ Hidden Power [Fighting, 52-Base Power]
    ~ Air Slash

My special version of Raziel. A little worse, true, but still reliable. Bug Buzz and Air Slash are my main means of attacking, due to STAB. Ancient Power deals with flyers and can get me the every-stat-boost, and HP allows me to hit Steels and Rocks for SE. The coverage Monday gives me, while not spectacular, far surpasses that of other pokes.

EDIT:

AND THE ULTIMATE MONOTYPE BUG CHALLENGE IS COMPLETED.

The Elite 4 was kind of a letdown, to be honest. My Mono-poison challenge was tons harder, and had some really climatic moments. This one... meh.

Aaron, a.k.a. 'The 2nd best Bug Trainer of all time'

This battle was easy, and all thanks to Monday. I had both Martyr and Monday able to hit them for SE damage, but I prefered to go for the safer choice. I Air Slashed every bug that appeared in front of me, and only Scizor managed to escape the OHKO. He retaliated, but the following Air Slash would ditacte his demise. After that, Drapion was down with 2 Ancient Powers.

Bertha, a.k.a. 'What the hell just happened?'

Seriously Scizor, you need to refrain from being so awesome. It was so easy that I don't even remember the fight. Three Sword Dances up, and Bullet Punch shattered all of the members into pieces, OHKO-ing one after another.

Flint, a.k.a. 'Overrated'

I was genuinely worried about Flint. I had no idea how I was going to beat him. All of my pokes aside from Mel would be OHKO'd by a FThrower from his lead Houndoom, and Mel had no PP to Toxic stall all of his team. I decided then to attempt a PP stall. With Defend Orders and Roosts, I managed to stall the hell out of Houndoom's FThrower. I then Power Gem'd just to make Flint waste his Full Restore. Switched out to Scizor when I knew Houndoom would Sludge Bomb, in order to avoid any unnecessary damage. I couldn't be sure that Scizor would OHKO every team member, so I really had to be cautious. Swords Dance'D 3 times, then Quick Attacked. Fortunately, they were all OHKO'd. Quite anticlimatic, I must say. I remember that even on Mono-Poison, this battle was a pain in the butt (since my tanking pokes would usually suffer from a non-STAB'd SE move from the poke they would be best-suited to tank). In any case, it was down.

Lucian, a.k.a. 'I can't do squat!'

I remember on my mono-poison, constantly switching between Drapion and Crobat in order to lure innefective Psychics and EQs from Brozong, PP-stalling him out. This battle was the hardest of all, though not hard at all.

I lead with Martyr to deal with Mr. Mime, since I wanted a non-crippled (Mime has TBolt) Scizor at full HP for Gallade. I couldn't risk the Paralyz. Neither I could risk not being able to OHKO Zong and getting Psychic'D in the face right after. Scizor is VERY frail on his special side. So I decided to do things the non-cheap way.

Two X-Scissors from Martyr did the trick, and one would have been enough if Mime didn't set up the god damn screen. When Gallade came, I knew Scizor was the only one capable of taking the Stone Edge. So with some X-Scissoring, Gallade was down. Now I had to face Zam, Espeon, and Zong, all of which could do immense damage, set-up or not. I couldn't fight them directly, because Scizor was already low on HP, and the oncoming Zam would kill me, even if I healed. As I said, Scizor's special defense is just a no-no. So I sent in Mel, and proceeded to do what she does best: to stall. After all, she is a special tank, and his physical attacker (Gallade) was already down. I maxed out Mel's defenses, and then Toxic'D + Roost + Power Gem'd. It was funny to watch Zam Recovering time after time, believing he could surpass the power of Toxic. He even got to Struggle. Espeon was down in a matter of time too. Brozong started setting up as well, but then again, that was why Mel was there. I couldn't afford to get Psychic'D in the face by him with Scizor, since I doubted he'd be able to OHKO Zong even after 3 SD. Nor I could take the change of getting Brozong to Calm Mind and then sweep me. Mel was the obvious sollution: even with +6 Sp. Attack, Zong's power was not enough to deal with Mel's insane stalling capabilities. Pressure helped once again, and soon Zong was only a mere, flying metal bell, able to do nothing but to Calm Mind. I stalled CM too (Seriously, with his +6Sp. Def, Power Gem did JACK!), and he eventually killed himself due to struggle.

Cynthia, a.k.a. '*Yawns*'

Seriously. I started the battle with Mel because I thought Scizor's sweep would end up on Luke anyway, and then I'd just get owned by Swords Dance. Unfortunately, I got a crit, and Mel died to Spiritomb. I brought Scizor, set up, and started to sweep. Then Luke came. I Bullet Punch'D, and as I suspected, Luke didn't die, even when I had +6 Attack. However, his Aura Sphere did NOT OHKO Scizor. That was a surprise. I guess his Sp. Def isn't that bad after all. From then on, it was a Bullet Punch/Quick Attack parade. And so the champion fell to my knees.

Ultimate Monotype Bug Challenge overview:

This was a hell of a challenge, when it comes to fun. My main difficulty was related to movepool: bugs have it severely limited. I did not, however, find the challenge too hard. In fact, if you knew what you were doing, it was reasonably straightfoward. Bugs also have limited defensive capabilities, so I often relied on a 'hit fast and hit hard' kind of approach. Psycho, Ace, Bughamut, Shuriken, Blade (after the BP), Raziel, and to a lesser extent, Monday, were good examples of that. Tanking is hard with bugs: I was only able to tank successfully with Shuck and Mel, being that Shellshock was more of a secondary choice than anything else.

To sum up, Bug-type pokemon aren't really all that balanced. They are usually fast, but also frail. So you have to plan some turns ahead in order to make sure that no member goes to waste due to a mistake of yours. Fortunately, there are also some heavy hitters, such as Scyther and Scizor, Heracross, Armaldo, and hell, even Ninjask. They might require some set-up, but after that, they're unstoppable. Due to their frailness, however, that's not always that easy to accomplish. I guess the main thing to keep in mind is that you have to focus on team-oriented playing, and be ready to make some sacrifices in order to have someone else do all the dirty work. Support-oriented bugs are severly lacking: only Ladybug and Linda managed to fulfil this role adequatly, and even then, the occasions when they were decisive were VERY few. Hell, Ladybug only got on one fight. (an important one though :p)

IMO, the 4th gen was the less interesting one. I just don't like Platinum that much, although I love the new game mechanics. Both the 1st and 2nd gen were very interesting (and fun!) playthroughs. Emerald was more of an annoyance than anything else. Probably my fault, since I chose the pokes wrongly.

So I'd like to thank Psycho, Ace, V-Gun, Linda, Funghi, Predator, Webmaster, Bughamut, Shellshock, Shuck, Ladybug (even if she only did one battle, lol), Blade, Rachel, Shuriken, BioHazard, Raziel, Mel, Martyr and Monday for making this challenge possible. I'd also like to thank the Topic Creator for the idea, Monday Sucks and Charmaggedon for the input, and Thomas for all the chats on MSN where we discussed how things would be going. Next challenge? Who knows!

Last edited:
    Years
  • After a ton of grinding, my Surskit Dou finally got to their 20s, so i could attempt Wattson again. ByeMagnemt (nomen est omen), my physial Mud Shot Masquerain, took out Wattsons Magnemite in one hit, but Voltorb outspeeded it and put a serious dent with some random move into it before getting OHKOd. Magneton outspeeded it too (That thng is jolly, so why doesn't it outspeed ANYTHING?) and KOd it with Shock Wave. Shedinja came in, and managed to Screech (which is my only reason to keep Shedinja in my team) it, so Pirates! could 2HKO it with Slash.

Team:

Pirates! / Ninjask f Lv.35 @ Silk Scarf
    Adamant Nature / Speed Boost
    - Slash
    - Fury Cutter
    - Swords Dance
    - Double Team
    No, the 35 is not a typo. After bait-and-switch-training 3 Pokemon into their 20s, Ninjask is now heavily overleveled, of course

OHKO / Shedinja Lv.20 @ /
    Adamant Nature / Wonder Guard
    - Cut
    - Flash
    - Screech
    - Double Team
    Again, nomen est omen. Shedinja's purpose is switching into a resisted attack, Screeching and dying, there isn't much more to do with it.

Galileo M. / Illumise f Lv.25 @ /
    Timid Nature / Oblivious
    - Thunderbolt
    - Quick Attack
    - Encore
    - Wish
    Galileo Mystery is a german documentary-like TV show about mysterious things that no one really takes serious because they always seem to relate anything to the Illuminati.
    I wonder if anyone actually understood that description of Illumise's nickname.
    Anyways, Illumise's role in my team is locking enemies into useless moves with Encore and supporting my team with Wish, obviously. Thunderbolt gives it decent coverage, and Quick Attack is a filler.

Flash / Surskit f Lv.23 @ /
    Modest Nature / Swift Swim
    - Bubble
    - Flash
    - Quick Attack
    - Sweet Scent
    Flash is going to be my main special sweeper later on. The current moveset is probably even worse than Shedinja's, but it'll soon get Bubblebeam, then i can evolve it and it will become a lot better.

ByeMagnemt / Masquerain m Lv.22 @ Soft Sand
    Timid Nature / Intimidate
    - Bubble
    - Mud Shot
    - Quick Attack
    - Sweet Scent
    Currently the better one out of the two, but Masquerain's special attack is a lot better than its attack, and i'm getting Dig for Ninjask soon, so i'm going to drop this one out of my team soon.

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

Years
  • So, I've got some great progress in my Mono-Water in Crystal, and I'm in Tohjo Falls, heading to Victory Road, I have all the Johto Badges now.
    Team:

Quaggy/Quagsire @ Amulet Coin
    Level 34
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Headbutt
    ~ Rollout
    He's been nice, killing Morty's annoying Gengar.

Surf/Lapras @ Pink Bow
    Level 35
    ~ Surf
    ~ Headbutt
    ~ Body Slam
    ~ Sing
    I was lucky. I didn't know which day I told to Mom yesterday, and I found out today was Friday!

Confused?/Golduck
    Level 35
    ~ Surf
    ~ Headbutt
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Confusion
    The name is a great one for Psyduck, isn't it? It's been a surprise package till now, defeating Clair after others were killed, he was at 11HP.

Crunch/Feraligatr
    Level 35
    ~ Surf
    ~ Hidden Power (Ground)
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Headbutt
    Most valueable pokemon for sure. Hidden Power Ground was a cherry on the cake, that helps against Electric types, and my team's three Ice Punchers help vs Grass types.

Slaves:

Fly!/Hoothoot
    Level 14
    ~ Fly
    ~ Peck
    ~ Foresight
    ~ Tackle

Dragons!/Gyarados
    Level 30
    ~ Strength
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Whirlpool
    ~ Leer

Anyone knows how to see the base power of Hidden Power in Crystal?

walasaka

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • Hi, I'm quite interested and I was wondering: say if I wanted to do it as a ghost trainer, instead of traipsing around (Fire)Red until I find a ghost, could I change the starter to a Ghastly by modding the game? It would be the only change I make, I promise! I just don't see the point of waiting so long :s

Mind you, I don't think I will do that since that's the only family I can use there, but the same applies to Psychic.

Nikorasu

Years
  • Mind you, I don't think I will do that since that's the only family I can use there, but the same applies to Psychic.

Except for the fact that you catch abra after Mt.moon? ^^

Anyway heres my next entry!

Kanto entry number 3 ^^

Wow! Sabrina was suprising really easy!
    I beat her on my first try! :D

Well heres my team:

Nidoking Lvl 48
    Moveset:

-Bubble beam
    -Thrash
    -Horn drill
    -Double kick

Nidoqueen Lvl 47
    Moveset:

-Thunderbolt
    -Double team
    -Skull bash
    -Double kick

Venonat Lvl 24 - I hadn't trained this :(
    Moveset:

-Disable
    -Supersonic
    -Confusion
    -Poison Power

After that i Grinded venonat to level 41 and evolved it into a Venomoth

Finally, i got to cinnabar island and it was time to go into the pokemon mansion get was the first pokemon i bump into? :)
    A level 38 grimer i instantly catch it and train it to 40, Whilst that happens. It evolved into Muk :D

Then i get the secret key and go into blaines gym.

Blaine was pretty easy, i beat him on my first try :)
    First i used me Muk and beat his ninetales. Then he died because of Rapidash :(
    Then i sent out Nidoking and beat both Ninetales and aArcanine :) Job well done.

My team:

Nidoking Lvl 50
    Moveset:

-Bubble beam
    -Thrash
    -Horn drill
    -Blizzard

Nidoqueen Lvl 47
    Moveset:

-Thunderbolt
    -Double team
    -Skull bash
    -Double kick

Venomoth Lvl 41
    Moveset:

-Solarbeam
    -Stun spore
    -Psybeam
    -Sleep Power

Muk Lvl 40
    -Disable
    -Poison Gas
    -Minimize
    -Sludge - I'm going to improve these moves later.

Now for the last gym leader nad then the elite 4... Then time for Silver!

Years
  • Hi, I'm quite interested and I was wondering: say if I wanted to do it as a ghost trainer, instead of traipsing around (Fire)Red until I find a ghost, could I change the starter to a Ghastly by modding the game? It would be the only change I make, I promise! I just don't see the point of waiting so long :s

Mind you, I don't think I will do that since that's the only family I can use there, but the same applies to Psychic.

I think you could trade yourself a Gastly egg, but whether you're allowed to hack the gastly, i don't know. But i guess it wouldn't be that different from a hatched one, so i think it would be alright.

BloodLucario, i advise you to teach at least one of your Nidos Surf, for either Bubblebeam or Skull Bash. Ice Beam wouldn't hurt as well. Earthquake is also a nice thing to have (ok, if you're playing FR/or LG you can't get it before Giovanni, but in gen.1 it's somewhere in the Silph Co.), get rid of Horn Drill for it, OHKO moves aren't worth it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Congrats for finishing, Blues, i'm maybe a bit late, but i really didn't read that before today. And i have to agree that the first 2 generations are the most fun, since in the 3rd there's Wattson and the 4th gen. games are so slow, i'm already pretty sure that part of this challenge will take me the longest.

I didn't know Nidoking/queen get Surf for a long time as well (always went with Bubblebeam instead), but when i was using a Nidoqueen some weeks ago, i found it out when planning my final moveset of it.

Well, i beat Flannery now, the Slugmas were no problem for Flash, but the Torkoal definetely was a problem, it beat both Flash and Galileo M. before Pirates! finally took it out. Here's my team, which has shrinked together quite a btit since my last post, since i'm not using ByeMagnemt and Shedinja anymore:

Team:

Pirates! / Ninjask f Lv.36 @ Silk Scarf
    Adamant Nature / Speed Boost
    - Slash
    - Fury Cutter
    - Swords Dance
    - Dig
    I let Pirates chill out a bit since my last post, so the others can catch up to it.

Galileo M. / Illumise f Lv.29 @ /
    Timid Nature / Oblivious
    - Thunderbolt
    - Quick Attack
    - Encore
    - Wish
    Didn't change, still mainly there for Encore and Wish support.

Flash / Masquerain f Lv.32 @ /
    Modest Nature / Intimidate
    - Bubblebeam
    - Flash
    - Quick Attack
    - Gust
    All the Geodudes, Sandshrews and Numels on the way to Lavaridge were decent training for Flash, and despite being weakened by the nature, Gust deals quite well with most Grass and Bug types.

Slaves are Marshtomb and Shedinja, which i'm planning to replace by a Tropius as soon as i beat Norman and get Surf.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I totally felt like starting a new challenge. So I decided to copy my friend Thomas, and joined him in his UM Elec challenge. I'm already after the 6th badge at Yellow, and so far the game has been very easy. Here's my team (all at level 47, sorry but I don't have the patiente to go and get the sprite links):

Jerry, the Pikachu
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Body Slam
    ~ Submission

My secondary sweeper. Quite nice. Thunderbolt/BodySlam/Submission do good damage and the first two can parahax. Thunder is redundant but there really is nothing else I'd like on Pika, and it may give him the extra damage boost on some needed situations. Gets some nice crits quite often.

Mr. Volt, the Jolteon
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Pin Missile
    ~ Double Kick
    ~ Quick Attack

My primary means of offense. His movepool also covers a diversity of pokemon types. Being the fastest, it criticals like mad. Nothing else to add.

NotBOOM!, the Magneton
    ~ Thundershock
    ~ Swift
    ~ Double-Edge
    ~ ThunderWave

Not that good at sweeping, so I gave him a more powerful move (Double Edge), and TWave to compensate for his low speed.

BOOMerang, the Electrode
    ~ Swift
    ~ Explode
    ~ Light Screen
    ~ Reflect

My double-screener, which also relies on his speed to critical often with either Swift, or the awesome Explode. Very reliable on tight situations.

Fire Wolf

Years
  • Well, I'm in Mt. Silver now, and I can't find Red in there. Can anyone help me with finding Red?
    Edit: found Red, only to see I'm heavily underleveled, my highest level is 48 right now. :(

Last edited:

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • I totally felt like starting a new challenge. So I decided to copy my friend Thomas, and joined him in his UM Elec challenge. I'm already after the 6th badge at Yellow, and so far the game has been very easy. Here's my team (all at level 47, sorry but I don't have the patiente to go and get the sprite links):

Jerry, the Pikachu
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Body Slam
    ~ Submission

My secondary sweeper. Quite nice. Thunderbolt/BodySlam/Submission do good damage and the first two can parahax. Thunder is redundant but there really is nothing else I'd like on Pika, and it may give him the extra damage boost on some needed situations. Gets some nice crits quite often.

Mr. Volt, the Jolteon
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Pin Missile
    ~ Double Kick
    ~ Quick Attack

My primary means of offense. His movepool also covers a diversity of pokemon types. Being the fastest, it criticals like mad. Nothing else to add.

NotBOOM!, the Magneton
    ~ Thundershock
    ~ Swift
    ~ Double-Edge
    ~ ThunderWave

Not that good at sweeping, so I gave him a more powerful move (Double Edge), and TWave to compensate for his low speed.

BOOMerang, the Electrode
    ~ Swift
    ~ Explode
    ~ Light Screen
    ~ Reflect

My double-screener, which also relies on his speed to critical often with either Swift, or the awesome Explode. Very reliable on tight situations.

Umm, you don't pass screens in the first generation. They only work for the pokemon who sets them up.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I will complete this today, I promise. I've dealt with my rival, he was tough. I led with Tentacruel and set up Barrier and a double layer of Toxic Spikes, before finishing off Staraptor with Sludge Bomb. Heracross was up next, and Lumineon had his Flying move deleted in the daycare, so instead I put out Gastrodon, forgetting that Rock-type moves were resisted by fighting. I used Rock Slide, but he took me down with two Close Combats. Since he was frail now, I sent out Floatzel to outpace him and take him down with Waterfall.

Torterra was up next. I sent out Octillery to Ice Beam him, but took a Leaf Storm to the face instead. I tried Empoleon, forgetting Torterra's Ground typing. (I was really tired yesterday, my brain went mulchy). He died, so I sent out Lumineon, and U-turned out to Tentacruel to soak up the inevitable Grass attack. Surf from Tentacruel, combined with Toxix damage, took the bitca down.

Snorlax was evil with the damn immunity to poison. Floatzel hit him with a Brick Break with did under half, and a critical Body Slam took Wesley down. Tentacruel did decent damage with Surf, but succumbed to Earthquake. Lumineon, of all people, saved me here. Snorlax used Rest and I used Attract, so the sleeping time plus the turns he missed due to infatuation gave me time to heal up Floatzel and Gastrodon, and get Snorlax to under half HP with Zoey before she died. Floatzel finished him off with Brick Break.

Floatzel .vs. Floatzel. He was poisoned, so I used Dig twice to get the extra poison damage and defeat him easily. Rapidash was a non-issue with an Earthquake from Gastrodon.

I'm gonna grind a little and then face the Elite Four. Question – I'm going to use Gastrodon as a Garchomp counter as it's the only thing I think could survive an Earthquake from 'Chomp. Do you think I should use Blizzard or Ice Beam? The other will be put on Tentacruel. Opinions?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back