• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2009
    update:

going through dark cave on red, got me a parasect and a butterfree, waiting to get a scyther and a venonat to add to the team,
    lt. surge was cake coz i taught dig to parasect (:

Parasect:30
    cut
    stun spore
    dig
    leech life

butterfree:30
    confusion
    stun spore
    sleep powder
    supersonic

HM slave:
    drowzee for flash

but i was wondering as d/p/pt are so terrible for bugs, can i trade over a couple of eggs? so they start at level1 but i dont have to waste days grinding a kricketot or spend years waiting to get a combee/heracross using honey?

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2010
    I'm going for a Fire Type run, so here we go !
    Gonna be playing good ol' Fire Version, Goodie !

VVVVV

Chapter 1 - My Adventure Begins !

Trainer Name - David [[Yes, that's my real name .]]
    Badges - 0 !
    Generation - 1 !
    Location - Pallet Town - Viridian City

Log!

1. Played some NES !
    2 . Got my trusty Charmander ! Yay ![[No nickanme .]]
    3. Owned my Rival D:<
    4. Got a potion .
    5. Got a parcel for Oak .
    6. Delivered it .
    7. Training !

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't think DPPt are that horrible for bugs. Ok, there's a big part of the game where there's only Kricketune, and there are the honey trees, but in Platinum there are Pokemon like Scyther and Yanma availiable, they should be strong enough to beat the game without too many problems. At least I hope so since I'm planning to use them... When I finally end my hiatus and finish Ruby.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2009
    i dont have platinum.. gna have to download the rom for it
    how early on are they available do you know?

krocketot sucks lol

update:
    just got to fuschia city!

got me a venonat on the way

Butterfree: 42
    psybeam
    confusion
    stun spore
    mega drain

parasect: 41
    cut
    slaxh
    dig
    leech life

venonat: 28
    tackle
    disable
    poison powder
    leech life

Hacky

Who knows who <- is?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2011
    Again, I'd like to ask, can I trade my Deity the Charizard into yellow to teach it fly and then return it to red? Fly can only be taught to Charizard in yellow.

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2011
    Again, I'd like to ask, can I trade my Deity the Charizard into yellow to teach it fly and then return it to red? Fly can only be taught to Charizard in yellow.
    I don't see why that would be a problem personally.

---

Trainer Name: Greeny
    Badges: 7
    Play Time: 17:46

Latest Progress:
    Flew to Celadon City and bought a bottle of Fresh Water.
    Took the Water to the guard of Saffron City.
    Arrived in Saffron City and began training by destroying Rockets plans with Silph Co.
    Defeated Smithy (Rival) only it's getting harder to do so now, his Gyarados took out all of my team but Omanyte, which I managed to hold Gyarados off with while I revived Onix to hit the final Rock Throw and defeat him, I then revived Aerodactyl to take care of Venusaur and the others.
    Defeated Giovanni with absolute ease, Omanyte's Surf will soon prove useful again when it comes to the secretive Viridian City gym leader.
    Got the Master Ball and left the Silph Co. building.
    Healed Pokemon at the Poke Centre before heading for the Fighting Dojo.
    Trained Aerodactyl and got a Hitmonlee (sent to PC).
    Healed Pokemon once again and headed to the real Gym.
    Defeated most of the trainers in the gym as training before taking out Sabrina, which was much easier than expected. Rhydon and Graveler's Earthquake were strong enough to take her Pokemon out without taking much damage.
    Omanyte evolved into Omastar.
    Flew to Cinnabar Island once again.
    Trained North, East, and North Eastern routes.
    Healed Pokemon and entered the Mansion.
    Found TM Blizzard which I will teach to either Omastar or Rhydon depending on which one will do better against Lance, so probably Rhydon.
    Found the Secret Key, and used an Escape Rope to get out of there.
    Healed my Pokemon and headed to the Gym.
    Battled all of the trainers for training purposes. I'm sure I remember enough about Pokemon to have taken the quiz. :)
    Defeated Blaine and flew to Viridian City.
    Saved game outside of Viridian Poke Centre.

Team:
    Gravelar - Level 46

Moveset:
    -Explosion
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Throw
    -Body Slam

Onix - Level 44

Moveset:
    -Strength
    -Screech
    -Double-edge
    -Rock Throw

Rhydon - Level 45

Moveset:
    -Horn Attack
    -Stomp
    -Tail Whip
    -Earthquake

Omastar - Level 44

Moveset:
    -Water Gun
    -Spike Cannon
    -Surf
    -Horn Attack

Aerodactyl - Level 44

Moveset:
    -Bite
    -Supersonic
    -Fly
    -Take Down

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Ugh, why do the trainers in Victory Road have so many fire pokemon. They are giving my bugs a real beating.

And not looking forward to facing Ice, Rock and Dragon-types in the Elite Four...Not to mention the Champion with his Arcanine, Gyarados and Pidgeot. I just wanna get to Johto and get some Steel pokemon, (Scizor ftw!)

Hacky

Who knows who <- is?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2011
    Okay folks! I accidentally deleted my pokemon red sav. file and I'm quitting for now. I'll try again later, but now I have no will (for some strange reason, that I had almost completed the game) Unless someone knows a pokemon Red save file editor, it'll be a goodbye for a while...

NatureKeeper

Pokemon : Blue Version

Emulated.

My planned team...

Poliwrath.. An extra fighting would help....
    Tentacruel... Uhh... Suggestions, plz?
    Slowbro... Psychic..
    Blastoise... Starter...
    Starmie...
    Cloyster...

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    My advice:

Remember that you only *need* strength, surf, and cut to complete the Kanto leg of the UMC... and that you are not required to have a team of six for the champ battle.

With water, specifically, I would take Starmie over Slowbro because of Recover, and Vaporeon over Cloyster for Acid Armor. Most of Lance's Pokemon have physical attacks, which makes having an Acid Armor + Aurora Beam Vaporeon better for tanking against him... once you get past the thundahbolters.

mikep

The sky tiger
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2017
    POISON
    POKEMON EMERALD

expected team:

dustox
    weezing
    seviper

you have to start with kanto in red/blue/yellow or fire red /leaf green and work through all the gens you can't start in gen 3

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Ahh, a newcomer. You might want to read the opening post again, this is for all four generations.

How lovely that they all try to start in Hoenn before remembering that that's the third leg of the adventure...

And how lovely that I'm so slow a typer that I get Ninjask'd every time...

Last edited:

Hacky

Who knows who <- is?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2011
    Yippee! I'm back in business! Huge thanks for Bulbapedia for providing a ton of knowledge required for this, Munchlax for his/her great exp guide, SunTzu7 for his/her save editor and Marriland for stat calculators! Got few cities backwards but I have got all the key items so it should be a piece of cake going to beat those three gyms!

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Ok so I'm hoping to complete Kanto today.

I spend awhile training Butterfree in Victory Road, then gave it the 5 rare candies I had accumulated, and now she can destroy Lorelei, Bruno and Agatha, with only Lorelei causing some effort.

Lance, however is proving to be as annoying as always. </3 Gyrados right now.

Edit: Kanto=Complete. Beat the Elite Four the attempt after claiming to hate Lance :P.

Butterfree destroyed the elite four completely.

Johto begins now. Scizor time :D

Edit: Hating the time aspect on Silver, need to wait until morning to catch any bugs.

Last edited:

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Quick update:

Skye took down the Celadon branch of Team Rocket, then went on to wipe the floor with Rival. Also bought ten Max Repels, which should be more than enough for getting through Pokemon Tower.

Deathscale, Lv. 26 Butterfree
    Confusion
    Poison Powder
    Harden
    Flash

Chitose, Lv. 26 Golbat
    Leech Life
    Confuse Ray
    Bite
    Bide

Grey Eagle, Lv. 27 Pidgeotto
    Gust
    Sand Attack
    Quick Attack
    Fly

Blaster, Lv. 27 Charmeleon
    Cut
    Counter
    Ember
    Rage

Skye, Lv. 27 Gyarados
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Dragon Rage
    Bite

I will need a strength slave for Victory Road...

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    It's snowing outside! Huzzah!

---

Fire Monotype Challenge: Part Two - Here's Looking At You, Ringo...

Trainer Name: Seb
    Badges: 1
    Generation: I (on Blue)

Log:

• Explored the Viridian Forest and made it to Pewter City. Those puny Bugs didn't stand a chance.
    • Went through the Forest again to train. Why is the encounter rate so low? Or is it just me?
    • Realized I should probably catch a HM Slave for Fly before Ringo gets too strong to weaken them.
    • Realized I thought about it too late. Oops.
    • Luckily, I barely caught a Level 4 Pidgey.
    • Easily beat my rival Holden. Ringo is now Level 15!
    • Ringo evolved into a Charmeleon! HUZZAH!
    Pewter City Gym Battle Log:

• Marched into the Pewter City Gym and 2HKOd the Trainer's two Pokemon. I was little worried about Brock. The music is pretty epic and Geodude's sprite looks funny. Ember 3HKOs Geodude, and he just spent the entire time Defense Curling. Pfft.
    • Onix is only 3 Levels below me, but atleast the only thing he can really do is Tackle. It's more of a tedious fight than a hard fight if you evolve into Charmeleon. Just because the game was nice, my Ember burned Onix. Yeah, Rocks can get burned. Nintendo Logic. Then again, I guess Rocks can heat up enough. Then Brock actually Full Healed his Onix. Huh, that's a new one. Onix then started to use Bide, but Ember took him out. All in all, it was a pretty easy fight. Boulderbadge get!
    Team:

Ringo (Level 17)
    - Ember
    - Scratch
    - Leer
    - Growl

---

My next log will be at Cerulean City. I don't see much point in logging the routes to there. And I log as I'm playing the game, so it gets dull and boring switching back and forth after a while.

Years
  • I finally was in the mood to continue today (needed a break from egoshooters), I did all the stuff up to Fortree and wanted to test my Pokemon's Hidden Powers. Found out that Masquerains Hidden Power is something physical, so resetted - and of course I had not saved and I'm back at Petalwood after beating Norman again. I'm angry now, so i suppose it's egoshooter time again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back