• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Well I started to like Miju's evo when Ken Sugimori explained it. I like Pokabu's evos and Pokabu is my favorite starter, so I'm definetly having a hard tme picking.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    i dont know if these pokemon are real or not..but i saw them on that image sliding thing on pocketmonster.net and theres a lot more pokemon designs x]

Until a main source website like Serebii or Pokébeach has this put up, then I'll have some concerns. However right now it seems that they don't have the detail that some of the pokémon contain and there isn't much information. Like for example the "possible 2nd evolution (or 1st)" for Gigaiasu, doesn't have the rough look Gigaiasu does.

Spoiler:

The mini details on Gigaiasu (such as the little light and dark blue spots on its body) isn't on the other one. That one is more smooth and painted like. I'm betting on it being fake since it looks like someone with a computer tablet and a well drawing program could do that. ;x

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    If I remember reading right, they're not exactly real. They're supposedly interpretations of rumors going around. It's all on Pokejungle.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
    Well I started to like Miju's evo when Ken Sugimori explained it. I like Pokabu's evos and Pokabu is my favorite starter, so I'm definetly having a hard tme picking.

https://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1138051.jpg
    https://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1138056.jpg

Translated by a friend on Serebii Forums
    Ken Sugimori, primary illustrator: I really struggled the most with the Water-type [starter] this time.
    Yusuke Ohmura, illustrator: There was talk of, "Wouldn't a sea otter be good for the Water starter?" But it was a really close decision in terms of what this sea otter would become once it evolves. In the end, we decided to have it evolve into something with a completely different appearance.
    Sugimori: Of course, we want to make the starters into Pokémon that remain with the player throughout the game, so we hope to make them evolve into creatures that offer a surprise to the player. We always make an effort to throw in some twists and create third-stage evolutions that have an impact.
    Ohmura: There was also talk this time about dividing the three starters into Japanese, Western, and Chinese styles of design. Tsutaaja was based on Western design, and Pokabu was rooted in a Chinese style, so I was told, "Let's make Mijumaru into a more Japanese-style design." Someone even asked, "Can't you make Mijumaru into a samurai?" [laughs]
    Everyone: [laughs]
    Sugimori: I worried about it for a while, and I eventually went to go see the sea otters at the aquarium. I happened to catch the sea lion show while I was there, and I became aware of the sea lion's power. "Well, let's try blending a sea otter and a sea lion," I thought. I came up with the idea of making the shell on Mijumaru's stomach into a sword (katana) and using it to fight, and that's how I completed Mijumaru and its evolution."

I guess that the starter evolutions are confirmed real now T_T

The starter evos are fake. Its been proven with that very interview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai

In the beta art we got like 2 or so months ago we first saw Mijumaru's evolution, along with Tsutaja's (and koromori and kibago blah blah blah).

Upon closer inspection of Mijumaru's evo he had a samurai kusazari/haidate around his waist with one shell on each side, which basically symbolized having two "sheathed" katanas:

In the beta art we got like 2 or so months ago we first saw Mijumaru's evolution, along with Tsutaja's (and koromori and kibago blah blah blah).

Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread

Upon closer inspection of Mijumaru's evo he had a samurai kusazari/haidate around his waist with one shell on each side, which basically symbolized having two "sheathed" katanas:

Samurai's use swords, not horns. Samurai's are bipedal. Sea Otters are also quadrapedal (at least i think they are) but Mijumaru isn't and neither is his evo. It wouldn't make sense for a Samurai to become a non samurai through an evolution, especially since the whole samurai personality and look is being given early on both in the anime and in the design of Mijumaru and its first evo.

Mijumaru's evo shown in the beta art also has a hair spike in the back, which could later turn into something resembling a helmet.

Another thing is Mijumaru's design is Japanese. Unicorns aren't japanese but Samurai's are.

Basically the starter evo shown on 2ch/4ch is wrong.

Until a main source website like Serebii or Pokébeach has this put up, then I'll have some concerns. However right now it seems that they don't have the detail that some of the pokémon contain and there isn't much information. Like for example the "possible 2nd evolution (or 1st)" for Gigaiasu, doesn't have the rough look Gigaiasu does.

Spoiler:

The mini details on Gigaiasu (such as the little light and dark blue spots on its body) isn't on the other one. That one is more smooth and painted like. I'm betting on it being fake since it looks like someone with a computer tablet and a well drawing program could do that. ;x

Pokexperto explains that it is fanart of the real pokemon. He has images and info of all the pokemon but isnt allowed to give you the official sprites or artwork, so he has someone else that is also on the inside draw fanart of the pokemon to show you the general concepts. He did the same thing before Diamond and Pearl and he was spot on and true all the time with that stuff back then, why wouldnt he be now?

Last edited:

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
    To be honest I have really high doubts about those pictures which Kaori posted earlier but in the other hand I wouldn't say that they couldn't be true. There's been a lot of rumours going on about the possible cotton pokémon and Gigaiasu's pre-evolution. Also if I don't remember wrong there has been some rumours about a couple of tadpole pokémon (I hate them already even if they were real or fake because POLIWAG's family is the only TRUE tadpole-family! >:|) and also something about the possible Hattooboo (Or what was that wannabe Pidgeotto called again?!) evolution. And yeah, we've also seen a shady picture about that purple cat and also a clip of that seed like pokémon few weeks earlier on a video posted in Pokébeach. Though we did not see it like real. Only from the up when it was running a circle outside the Daycare House.

G3RM

Trainer
    Years
    Starter's EVOs FAKE?

In a recently released pokemon magazine Sugimori was interviewed and from what he said I assume the starters from Pokexpert to be fake.

Interview:
    Ken Sugimori, primary illustrator: I really struggled the most with the Water-type [starter] this time.
    Yusuke Ohmura, illustrator: There was talk of, "Wouldn't a sea otter be good for the Water starter?" But it was a really close decision in terms of what this sea otter would become once it evolves. In the end, we decided to have it evolve into something with a completely different appearance.
    Sugimori: Of course, we want to make the starters into Pokémon that remain with the player throughout the game, so we hope to make them evolve into creatures that offer a surprise to the player. We always make an effort to throw in some twists and create third-stage evolutions that have an impact.
    Ohmura: There was also talk this time about dividing the three starters into Japanese, Western, and Chinese styles of design. Tsutarja was based on Western design, and Pokabu was rooted in a Chinese style, so I was told, "Let's make Mijumaru into a more Japanese-style design." Someone even asked, "Can't you make Mijumaru into a samurai?" [laughs]
    Sugimori: I worried about it for a while, and I eventually went to go see the sea otters at the aquarium. I happened to catch the sea lion show while I was there, and I became aware of the sea lion's power. "Well, let's try blending a sea otter and a sea lion," I thought. I came up with the idea of making the shell on Mijumaru's stomach into a sword (katana) and using it to fight, and that's how I completed Mijumaru and its evolution."

EDIT: sorry i didn't realize there was already a thread about this

Last edited:

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I believe that Sugimori's interview confirmed them fake as well, katana anyone? Just because they said sea lion people assumed it was the leaked evo, but they are missing the Japenese/Samurai bit.

Years
    Sugumori said it himself that Mijumaru's evolution used its shell/blade to attack, so going by that i think the revealed evo's are fake, since the water evo doesnt have a shell to attack with.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
    In a recently released pokemon magazine Sugimori was interviewed and from what he said I assume the starters from Pokexpert to be fake.

Interview:
    Ohmura: There was also talk this time about dividing the three starters into Japanese, Western, and Chinese styles of design. Tsutarja was based on Western design, and Pokabu was rooted in a Chinese style, so I was told, "Let's make Mijumaru into a more Japanese-style design." Someone even asked, "Can't you make Mijumaru into a samurai?" [laughs]

EDIT: sorry i didn't realize there was already a thread about this

Well to conclude everything that was discussed in the other thread that was created for this I can only say that the most of us believes those evolutions posted earlier on are fakes while other consider them being true like crazy maniacs and can't even argument their sentence other way than saying: "IT MUST BE TRUE 'CAUSE I SAY SO." Basicly I believe those earlier scans are all fakes and this proves it but in the other hand there is always the slight chance of being wrong and that's why I am in the same time really HAPPY-JOY-JOY for not possibly have to train with those monsters and keep the sad face attached into my forehead because until we see the real pictures anything can basicly happen. And btw that thread made to discuss about that was closed so~

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
    i dont know if these pokemon are real or not..but i saw them on that image sliding thing on pocketmonster.net and theres a lot more pokemon designs x]

here some more pictures x]
    The cat one might be, because we have a shilloutte with that same body shape. I'm hoping the first three of those are real, because they look awesome!

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Okay I'm pretty sure those are the evos. Here's why.

Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread
    Well Sugi said the Tsuutaja family would have a western design, it is royal looking and its in the form of a serpent, maybe a reference to feudal europe.

Pokabu's final evo shows signs of Chiniese Design, which Mr. Sugimori also stated. The bright patterns on it are showing the beauty of chinese art and decoration as the chineise were quite decorative. Also the flames on it Pokabu's final evos tail and the designs of the flames in general look like Firecrackers, a staple of many chinese festivals and of course, the pig is a sign in the chinese zodiac.

Finally Mijumaru's. For those of you who said it was a Sea OTTER, its final form is actually a Sea LION, which are quadropedal. Its armor and padding represent that of the samurai and its mustache represents a wise master of combat imho. This may also make a reference to Japan's close affiliation with the sea, as Japan was known for legends such as the kappa, and fishing is a prime industry in japan.
    That's my take on these guys and why I think they are indeed REAL.

chanchimi

With a Side of Cheddar
    Years

Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread Unconfirmed Pokemon Thread
    Well Sugi said the Tsuutaja family would have a western design, it is royal looking and its in the form of a serpent, maybe a reference to feudal europe.

Pokabu's final evo shows signs of Chiniese Design, which Mr. Sugimori also stated. The bright patterns on it are showing the beauty of chinese art and decoration as the chineise were quite decorative. Also the flames on it Pokabu's final evos tail and the designs of the flames in general look like Firecrackers, a staple of many chinese festivals and of course, the pig is a sign in the chinese zodiac.

Finally Mijumaru's. For those of you who said it was a Sea OTTER, its final form is actually a Sea LION, which are quadropedal. Its armor and padding represent that of the samurai and its mustache represents a wise master of combat imho. This may also make a reference to Japan's close affiliation with the sea, as Japan was known for legends such as the kappa, and fishing is a prime industry in japan.

I agree with all you said. I also think that these are the real evolutions. His interview doesn't contradict these, at least, it doesn't seem that way.

Mijumaru's final evolution has that huge conch on it's head, which is what I think it uses as it's "Shell blade". Either it flails it's head to attack with it or something like that, or takes it off and uses it like a sword/katana/beat-stick.

He also said the 3rd evolutions were meant to be surprising, and I think many people were surprised with the way they look! xD

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
    The starter evos are fake. Its been proven with that very interview.

Samurai's use swords, not horns. Samurai's are bipedal. Sea Otters are also quadrapedal (at least i think they are) but Mijumaru isn't and neither is his evo. It wouldn't make sense for a Samurai to become a non samurai through an evolution, especially since the whole samurai personality and look is being given early on both in the anime and in the design of Mijumaru and its first evo.

Mijumaru's evo shown in the beta art also has a hair spike in the back, which could later turn into something resembling a helmet.

Another thing is Mijumaru's design is Japanese. Unicorns aren't japanese but Samurai's are.

Basically the starter evo shown on 2ch/4ch is wrong.

Pokexperto explains that it is fanart of the real pokemon. He has images and info of all the pokemon but isnt allowed to give you the official sprites or artwork, so he has someone else that is also on the inside draw fanart of the pokemon to show you the general concepts. He did the same thing before Diamond and Pearl and he was spot on and true all the time with that stuff back then, why wouldnt he be now?
    That would explain why the pokemon don't look legit. I'm praying that the first three are real, because they look awesome tom me (Being a grass type fan)

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
    I've noticed a couple posts of people saying that the mijumaru evolution doesn't have a shell/sword of any kind. Excuse me, did I just imagine the large, sword-shaped conch on it's head? Doubt it.

Also, sea otters are bipedal but can stand on their hind legs.

Sea lions on the other hand have no hind legs, but since Miju's evo did then it may be able to stand on it's hind legs like an otter. The plates on it's arms and legs could represent the sheathed swords, as mentioned earlier.

And on the issue of the thing on its head being a horn rather than a sword, it is confirmed that Mijumaru's shell is removable, so the one on its evolution's head will be too. I have no doubt in my mind that these are real.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

Want to add that the Water Starter does look as if it has a shell on its stomach where Ken said the shell holding the sword would be.

Ken also said that the final forms wouldn't look like the beginning forms.

Years
    My God, it's like every forum I go to is discussing this. XD
    But honestly, this interview doesn't confirm the starters. We just have to wait until B/W is released. =/

G3RM

Trainer
    Years
    Came off Poke Peer look under shijika (i think?):

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Yep, a new Pokemon. Saw this at PokeBeach. Maybe its just me, but it looks like it could be Yanappu's evolution or something. <333 That art is so amazing, though. Seeing Musharna on two legs just made me like it.

Back