• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
  • Underrated: Dunsparce- he's dunsparce. He's great to have.
    Chimecho- He's rare, oh so rare. His stats really aren't that bad, either.
    Mew-Nobody really pays attention to the ancestor of all pokemon any more.... :(

Overrated: Arceus, Lucario, Zoroark

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
    Years
  • Overrated-Most legendaries are overrated. Pikachu and Charizard as well when you ask a person who doesn't know Pokemon as much they usually name Pikachu or Charizard.

Underrated-Slaking is a big one who because of it's ability attacks once every 2 turn. This one can hit like a truck.

Antisocial.

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Overrated- Giratina. All my friends bought Platinum because of the stupid Giratina, and it kinda sucks.
    Underrated- I'd say Psyduck. Everyone thinks of the stupid headache "Pssyyy" from the show, but Psyduck and Golduck are pretty freakin' awesome if you raise them right.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Overated
    Arceus: Just because its like a god of all Pokemon or something like that, its overrated.
    Oshawott: Yes, I admit its cute. But that doesn't mean it must be that overrated.
    Snivy: Damn that meme.
    Charizard: I like it, but I got to admit its overrated as its stats are absolutely no-no.
    Pikachu: Ash's good friend, enough said about it.
    Underrated
    Lapras: Used by Ash as a surf slave, it has actually a very good base HP.
    Raichu: Pikachu has all the glory.

Years
  • I'm surprised no one mentioned this guy yet!

447.gif

Riolu, like Lucario, is very overrated. You just see/hear it everywhere - pictures, videos, merchandise, just about everything. Everyone also says that Riolu looks cute but for me, I personally don't like it's design. I'm more of a Mienfoo person.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • As for overrated, I'd be inclined to say Lucario or Riolu, were it not that they just so happen to be some of my favourite pokémon, so I am not going to even think about saying that, were it not that I just thought about it and I can't unthink it, or can I? I suppose Mudkip, or Seaking, or any of the other pokémon who were turned into internet memes are pretty overrated in my opinion.

Underrated pokémon would probably be the ones who are too frequently dismissed as "vendor trash" pokémon. Bidoof falls in this category pretty squarely, as I absolutely adore the silly look the bugger has, which only gets better once it evolves. Breloom might be a bit underrated too. I don't know, I might be a bit biased with my love for kangaroos, but I've adored his design a whole lot too.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    As for overrated, I'd be inclined to say Lucario or Riolu, were it not that they just so happen to be some of my favourite pokémon, so I am not going to even think about saying that, were it not that I just thought about it and I can't unthink it, or can I? I suppose Mudkip, or Seaking, or any of the other pokémon who were turned into internet memes are pretty overrated in my opinion.

Underrated pokémon would probably be the ones who are too frequently dismissed as "vendor trash" pokémon. Bidoof falls in this category pretty squarely, as I absolutely adore the silly look the bugger has, which only gets better once it evolves. Breloom might be a bit underrated too. I don't know, I might be a bit biased with my love for kangaroos, but I've adored his design a whole lot too.

I think Breloom isn't as underrated as it seems. I mean, it was the 20th used Pokemon on Smogon's servers in Feb.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years

• I think Breloom isn't as underrated as it seems. I mean, it was the 20th used Pokemon on Smogon's servers in Feb.
    It is? My apologies, but so far, I've never been aware of, nor have I ever known a single other person who's been a big Breloom fan yet. It may be because of differences per community, but yeah. I've never participated in competitive play whatsoever, so that might deffo explain it.

Last edited:

Simipour

Geyser Pokemon
    Years
  • You might be surprised, Epic-Latios-Fan, Sawk is actually fairly popular (particularly in Japan). I definitely agree on the issue of Lucario and Riolu. I never really saw the appeal of them.

There are a LOT of underrated Pokemon I like- off the top of my head, Frillish/Jellicent, Elgyem/Beheeyem, Simisear/Simipour, Kingdra, Altaria, Roserade, Luxray, and Rapidash...

Years
  • You might be surprised, Epic-Latios-Fan, Sawk is actually fairly popular (particularly in Japan). I definitely agree on the issue of Lucario and Riolu. I never really saw the appeal of them.

There are a LOT of underrated Pokemon I like- off the top of my head, Frillish/Jellicent, Elgyem/Beheeyem, Simisear/Simipour, Kingdra, Altaria, Roserade, Luxray, and Rapidash...

I agree with Elgyem and Beheeyem, they make awesome to have on a team that uses Trick Room.

Years
  • You might be surprised, Epic-Latios-Fan, Sawk is actually fairly popular (particularly in Japan).

Sawk is popular? Well, I don't see that much Sawk fans. I mostly see people criticizing the blue Fighting-type whereas I personally love Sawk myself. But it has been shown a lot lately such as the anime and merchandise.

And on topic, I think Farfetch'd is pretty underrated. Although it is awful in battles, no gives the poor duck any love. I kind of like it's design also.

I also thought of other overrated Pokemon.

MIENSHAO: Although the slender Fighting-Type is one of my favourite Pokemon, I seemingly see alot of Mienshao fans. Why doesn't Mienfoo get any love? Even I was once on Ebay, there was a person who was selling his/her Mienfoo charms because she only wanted the Mienshao charms that came with it... People also say its design is nice. I'm not a big fan of its design, I guess it looks okay.

GARDEVOIR: Too many people love the fenimine Psychic-type. I don't really care about it's design at all, to be honest.

UMBREON: I agree with everyone else, Umbreon is pretty overrated. I don't really see anything special about this one... Is it because of it's design or how it can glow in the dark? Dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Overrated: totally Lucario. Pain in the butt, and they aren't even that good. Also, Arceus is overrated. Just because it's sort of lame.

Underrated: BULBASAUR!!!! Poor Bulby is so hated just because he evolves into Venusaur. Venusaur isn't ugly! Bulbasaur is totally the best pokemon ever.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    zangoose.png

Always kind of liked this Pokemon, one of those Pokemon "Who got away" back in Gen III

absol.png

Another "One who got away" kind of sad to see these two in the NU tier, I know its hard for them to compete withe a lot of Pokemon in Gen IV and Gen V but at least give them UU tier~

Years
  • Hmm...after some thinking, I came up with several Pokemon who are for me overrated and underrated. (Beware: A block of long text appears)

Overrated Pokemon

CHARIZARD. Many nostalgic fans of the first generation worships this fire-breathing dragon. It's been a staple in many teams mainly in the R/B/Y series. Well yeah, it's a friggin dragon for God's sake... But aside from it's simple yet cool design, there's nothing really going on for this Pokemon competively. In-game it is quite good to use because of its fire typing; it has a lot of type advantages/effectiveness. For competitive gaming however, it sets it place in the bottom tiers. Why? Them stealth rocks, that's why! It has a good special attack and speed but mediocre defenses. However, that 4x weakness to Rock is just hurting this dragon. Overall, it's a decent Pokemon, just not a tad bit worthy of its fame.

BLISSEY. This pink blob of voluptuousness (or maybe chunkiness) is great for stalling and delivering other lulz. But, I don't use it that much in-game because I don't have the patience to search for its pre-evos; that is in the first few generations. And, you won't normally stall in the games, you just hit stuffs and tear down foes! But, it sets its popularity in competetive battling. It has an ENORMOUS base HP and special defense; so, it's just that obvious that it will be used as a special tank. It also has a wide-array of support moves like Aromatheraphy, Wish, etc. But worry not, for you shall kill this fat ball of cuteness and lulz with the right prediction in battles. There are numerous ways to kill this beast. It has an exceptionally low physical defense and speed, so tear it down with physical hits. And Blissey might be in for a bit of a danger because there are many Fighting-type Pokemon around the realms of competitive battling. Still, you need to be careful in switching in to it. FFF...Come on, just look at those flabby lovehandles!

LUCARIO. Come on, isn't it obvious?! Though it does has stellar offensive prowess combined with a cool design...?, it doesn't take hits pretty well. Most of them would carry focus sash in competetive gaming because it dies rather quickly. Still, it does have its merits. In both aspects of gaming, it is a beast and can wreak havoc amongst unprepared teams. No need to worry in-game. But yeah, I agree with the others; he is a bit overhyped which is annoying.

SOME Special Mentions:
    Haxorus, Umbreon, Ash's Pikachu

Underrated Pokemon

MISMAGIUS. This ominous witch is overshadowed by the likes of Gengar as an offensive threat. But it does have a few bag of tricks under its sleeves. Personally, I love Mismagius. It's actually quite a versatile Pokemon; it can go offensive with a Nasty Plot set, it can stall with a Perish-Trap set, and it can even go specially defensive. This Pokemon has a special spot on my team 'cause it saved my sorry butt in fighting some of the Elite Four several times now.

ALTARIA. This adorable, blue bird/dragon/peacock thing with cotton for wings is actually useful; surely not as much of its much better cousins, Dragonite and Salamence. Still, it's a good Pokemon in its own rights. Usually if Altaria is in my team, she serves as my defensive-mon especially in the R/S/E days. This Pokemon has averagely good defenses and also a good typing. If times were hard, I use Rest+Natural Cure to recover from damage. It has mediocre offenses but who cares; the dragon is made mainly to be on the defensive side. I don't know, I just love this little guy...

VENUSAUR. ARRGH! My dear Venusaur..the first starter I chose in the first generation. The poor little thing was not as popular as its fellow starters but there's something about the Pokemon that made me choose him. Well yeah, I liked its design; he actually is kinda cute. Also, this bulky Pokemon is a beast in battle; he's lots of fun to use in-game. Just put your foe to sleep and proceed to wreak havoc amongst teams. Though competitively Venusaur is considered as a UU Pokemon in the four previous generation, in the fifth he is making a comeback bringing him with the ability Chlorophyll. So when the sun's up, his mediocre speed will double and will reach to a huge level. For the most part I like his versatility; he's a great status inducer and can stall well, his good defenses gives him bulk, and surprisingly he may be utilized as a physical or special sweeper using a Growth set. Now, Venusaur is actually doing quite well in the Pokemon environment but still, he needs more love!

SOME Special Mentions:
    Jumpluff & Whimsicott, Clefable, Walrein

Now give 'em Pokemon some lovin'! <3

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Overrated: Every legendary, Lucario, and Dragonite.
    Underrated: Chikorita, nobody really uses Chikorita they all pick either Cyndaquil, or Totodile. Togekiss and Furrett, once again everyone thinks they suck because their stats arent that good but, they have a huge move pool.

Years
  • Overrated: Every legendary, Lucario, and Dragonite.
    Underrated: Chikorita, nobody really uses Chikorita they all pick either Cyndaquil, or Totodile. Togekiss and Furret, once again everyone thinks they suck because their stats arent that good but, they have a huge move pool.

I feel sorry for Togekiss, it has great Sp. Atk and pulls it off well with Aura Sphere and Air Slash. It also gets Metronome for random moves.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I feel sorry for Togekiss, it has great Sp. Atk and pulls it off well with Aura Sphere and Air Slash. It also gets Metronome for random moves.

Finally, someone who agrees that Togekiss is a good pokemon. Most people only care about the highest stat Pokemon and the strongest Pokemon in general. They are missin out.

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
    Years
  • I find that Oshawatt is extremely overrated. I mean, he doesn't even look nice. His design and expression in pathetic.

Underrated, I'd go for Mareep + its evolutions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back