• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen underused GSCRBY pokemon

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    Well, everyone has their favorites, and some favorites are more popular than others. We all realize this. Some pokemon are not only cool, but strong too, so they get a lot more use than some really cool pokemon with average stats. An example? Every team that I've seen in the last six months has a Scizor. Almost every one has a Tyranitar. And nowadays you have to SET RULES if you don't want the battle to come down to "who's Mewtwo is better?". When's the last time you saw something like Porygon2 on a team? Or how about Persian? Or Politoed? No, some pokemon are just underused. So, who out there has a pokemon that they use that isn't that popular? There are plenty of them. Here are a few of mine:

Noctowl
    Sneasel
    Marowak
    Raticate
    Vileplume
    Persian
    Hypno
    Dugtrio
    Misdreavus

...And those are just a few. My friend made it in a tournament with a Mr. Mime, Porygon2, Umbreon, Lapras, Gligar, and a Meganium. Granted, Meganium and Lapras are pretty popular, but no one expected her to win with that team. So who are your "secret weapons"? Got a favorite that no one understands but you? This is where to tell it.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    I use noctowl, Marowak and Midrevous on some occasions. I dont like to use the others on account of things.

Sneasel: Doesnt have powerfull moves
    Raticate: I have always hated Raticate. It was annoying and weak
    Vileplume: I use it sometimes against water gyms or against friends who have water pokemon, but not all the time
    Persian: Never liked it. I mean it learnes Thunderbolt
    Hypno: Ever since in red where you see rockets having hypno I always felt that hypno was sort of an Antagonist compared to Alakazam
    Dugtrio: It was annoying in Red/blue and its always annoying

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    Most underused Pokemon:

Linoone - It can learn a variety of attacks, but, as many normal types, it isn't very strong.
    Raticate - Same reason.
    Furret - Same reason.
    Pikachu - Everone's pretty much sick of it. The ones that aren't evolve it within a day.
    Eevee - Everyone wants one because they like Umbreon or Jolteon, but when's the last time you saw an Eevee on someone's team?

Ash&pikachuarethebest

Houndoom trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    Has everyone for got about magikarp being the most underused pokemon in the world because of it being so weak

Years
    I like Dugtrio a lot in Red/Blue/Yellow because Dig was a such a strong attack in those games. In Gold/Silver/Crystal they made it much weaker, making Dugtrio not quite as good. I still like to use them though.

In regards to Houndoom: I think one reason why people use it is because of it being the best dark type Pokemon in the game. Most of the others don't even come close. Murkrow is very weak, and learns more ghost-type moves than dark. Umbreon is pretty good, but Faint Attack is the only dark-type attack it learns. If it learned Crunch or something of that nature, it would be really good. And I'd like to state for the record that I rarely ever use I Houndoom. I like it, and it has good moves, but by time I get to Celedon City's Route 8 in Gold/Silver/Crystal I already have six Pokemon that I'm fine with using. So that's really why I don't use Houndoom all that much.

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    I like Dugtrio a lot in Red/Blue/Yellow because Dig was a such a strong attack in those games. In Gold/Silver/Crystal they made it much weaker, making Dugtrio not quite as good. I still like to use them though.

In regards to Houndoom: I think one reason why people use it is because of it being the best dark type Pokemon in the game. Most of the others don't even come close. Murkrow is very weak, and learns more ghost-type moves than dark. Umbreon is pretty good, but Faint Attack is the only dark-type attack it learns. If it learned Crunch or something of that nature, it would be really good. And I'd like to state for the record that I rarely ever use I Houndoom. I like it, and it has good moves, but by time I get to Celedon City's Route 8 in Gold/Silver/Crystal I already have six Pokemon that I'm fine with using. So that's really why I don't use Houndoom all that much.
    Untrue. Umbreon learns bite. Haven't you ever played Pokemon Collesseum?

Years
    Noctowl all the way, ever since Ash had a shiny Noctowl I had one, and I loved it. It was awesome.

I think Pichu is underused because people get it just for Pokedex and don't have it in their lineup.

Also, I think Magmar is underused while it owns... People should be using Magmars more often, they own. :lol:

Pokemon Breeder Zoria

Normal Type Master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2008
    Mine is Butterfree. It has ridiculously high attack, and an average defense...

But I like it cause it's cute.

I never use my Minun in Rescue team...

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
    Mine is Pikachu, 'cuz it's attack,defense,and special defense are very low....Even though it looks tough in the anime shows, don't be a fool putting Pikachu in your team...

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    Mine is Butterfree. It has ridiculously high attack, and an average defense...

But I like it cause it's cute.

umm... hate to break it to ya, but Butterfree has pretty bad physical attack, and really low physical defense. mabye you meant its special stats? that's a possibility, but "ridiculously high" doesn't describe any of its stats, or it'd be used more.

but i agree- it is cute.

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    Are Banette and Crobat underused?

Anyway I like to use Octillery a lot and Quagsire.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    Are Banette and Crobat underused?

Anyway I like to use Octillery a lot and Quagsire.

Crobat isn't underused at all; it's one of the only hazers, and it's a good annoyer. i like it a lot anyway. Banette is underused, but that's the wrong generation.

Octillery and Quagsire, on the other hand, are BOTH really underused. Octillery packs a lot of punch as any type of attacker, it just needs a bit more speed, and Quagsire is just underused because of its 4x weakness to grass moves, coupled with its lowered special attack when compared to other water types. good choices.

kuribohgx

pokemon freak
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 17, 2007
    i use butterfree and farfetchd on my team. i use butterfree because it can learn psychic attack and farfetchd because it has a high attack

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2007
    I have always loved tauros, cloyster, himonlee, and aerodactyl all awesome pokemon that were either on my first team or used often, and i have made a point to use all of them in different combinations as i played games over. what can i say i am sentimental.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    I have always loved tauros, cloyster, himonlee, and aerodactyl all awesome pokemon that were either on my first team or used often, and i have made a point to use all of them in different combinations as i played games over. what can i say i am sentimental.

good choices. Tauros is only kind of popular. he gets overlooked in favor of Snorlax ever since the GSC transition. i'll admit Aerodactyl is popular as hell, but for good reason. it's a cool-looking pokemon with good stats. Cloyster and Hitmonlee, on the other hand, are almost never used on teams. i like both of them a lot, and they have some cool move options, but they never seem to get any credit.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I just finished playing Crystal again and I had started using a Noctowl, but changed to Pidgey (to get to to be a Pidgeot), used a Victreebel, Poliwrath, and I do admit later on I raised a Tyranitar... Oh, I also had a Suicune. I usually think that Legendary Pokemon are over-rated, but Suicune's an exception with me.

Anyways, my secret weapon was Poliwrath. I loved training it.

Back