• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen underused GSCRBY pokemon

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    My first team i ever used on Gold Version was nearly fully made of ones that weren't popular

My second however only had had two that I consider not immensely popular, Bellossom and Lanturn

On older versions i've used Muk, Persian, Ratcate, Sandslash, Dewgong, Fearow, Primeape, Marowak, Kangaskhan, Hitmonchan and Electrode to name a few...

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I use noctowl, Marowak and Midrevous on some occasions. I dont like to use the others on account of things.

Sneasel: Doesnt have powerfull moves
    Raticate: I have always hated Raticate. It was annoying and weak
    Vileplume: I use it sometimes against water gyms or against friends who have water pokemon, but not all the time
    Persian: Never liked it. I mean it learnes Thunderbolt
    Hypno: Ever since in red where you see rockets having hypno I always felt that hypno was sort of an Antagonist compared to Alakazam
    Dugtrio: It was annoying in Red/blue and its always annoying

I dunno, Raticate can pack a helluva punch early on in the game. Hyper Fang was a dreaded move with my Pikachu. While not too helpful later on, I think it's pretty decent in early game.

And Hypno the villain? lol, but your Rival has an Alakazam in RBY! That makes Alakazam like the primary antagonist. Plus Alakazam just looks evil.

And I would consider Dugtrio to be part of the OU, wouldn't you? It's attack is damn good, and his speed is something to be envied. I came across one of them, and sent out my fastest Poke, and the bugger outran me. I was stunned that a Whack-A-Mole could move so bloody fast! Marowak too, that seems too popular to be considered UU, but I could be wrong.

Vileplume was always a favourite of mine... but Victreebell was my preference out of the two. Seemed to have a slightly better movepool than 'Plume.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
    I use Teddiursa/Ursaring every opportunity I get. I don't do tournaments, battles with friends etc, nor do I EV train, but he seemed okay to me.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    good to know that there are actually some people who like the underdogs here. oh, and to Grim: what's the point in coming to an underused pokemon thread and calling some of them weak? and you weren't really right about most of them.

i'd like to take this opportunity to justify Raticate in one move that everyone is forgetting. Super Fang? hello? that's one of the most useful moves ever created. if you can't take an opponent out in one attack, just take out half of their hp, and whittle from there. and Hyper Fang is still good later in the game, because the fact remains that it's the strongest move with a flinch chance in the game, having a one-in-three chance on a move that's actually strong enough to use later in the game, as an STABed move with a base power of 80. meaning, 120 power with a 33% chance of flinching. so there. now Raticate is put in perspective.

Years
    On Red:
    Psyduck
    Electrode
    Does the do-it-all Nidoking count?

On Blue:
    Weepinbell

On Yellow:
    Hitmonchan

On Old Silver(1st):
    Farfetch'd - Got this thing up to level 100.
    Typhlosion?

On New Silver(2nd):
    Togetic?
    Graveler
    Vulpix

On Crystal:
    Suicune?
    Typhlosion?

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    On Red:
    Psyduck
    Electrode
    Does the do-it-all Nidoking count?

On Blue:
    Weepinbell

On Yellow:
    Hitmonchan

On Old Silver(1st):
    Farfetch'd - Got this thing up to level 100.
    Typhlosion?

On New Silver(2nd):
    Togetic?
    Graveler
    Vulpix

On Crystal:
    Suicune?
    Typhlosion?

i'm sorry, but Suicune and Typhlosion will never, EVER be considered underused, by any stretch of the imagination. Typhlosion is arguably one of the most popular and commonly used fire types ever created, and Suicune is a legendary, therefore getting a swarm of people who use it all the time. oh, and sorry, but Nidoking isn't underused, either. it's not overused, either, but you see it a decent amount. kudos on that Farfetch'd, though. i've never raised one all the way up to level 100 before. same with the Hitmonchan and the Togetic.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    i'm sorry, but Suicune and Typhlosion will never, EVER be considered underused, by any stretch of the imagination.

Ditto on that.

Anyone ever think about (or have) used a Ditto in a serious battle? Seems like he'd be hard to use, but being able to morph into any Poke can have its benefits, save for the 5 PP thing. As long as he also copies the Stats of a given Poke, he can turn into any Wall or Sweeper, which is some feat.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    Ditto on that.

Anyone ever think about (or have) used a Ditto in a serious battle? Seems like he'd be hard to use, but being able to morph into any Poke can have its benefits, save for the 5 PP thing. As long as he also copies the Stats of a given Poke, he can turn into any Wall or Sweeper, which is some feat.

actually, i have a Ditto that i use. Ditto, as a battler, is actually kinda useless, because it may turn into any pokemon, but that means that the other one just has the same stats + one extra turn to attack you when you transform + more pp for each move + more hp because Ditto's a little low. so, you have to get creative. ever heard of the "Sketch Ditto" trick? well, that means that Ditto can have one move that can be sketched, assuming you do it properly, and since it's programmed in the game, it's not even a cheat. so, now i have a shiny blue Ditto with Spore and Transform, so i send out a Ditto, put them to sleep, turn into them, and savage them with their own stats and moves. it worked out nicely when i turned into a Curselax (Snorlax with Curse, Rest, EQ and Double-Edge). made it quite easy to sweep the whole team. also, Metal Powder can be useful; for those of you who don't know, having Ditto hold it is like sending it out and having it use Acid Armor. holding it doubles its defense, so turning into something like an Alakazam can be quite nice.

ZER0

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2007
    Fearow
    Clefable
    Wigglytuff
    Parasect
    Venomoth
    Dugtrio
    Persian
    Victreebell

If U Wana Make A Tangible Team Out Of Them Where There Isnt Mor Than 1 Of Sam Exact Type Or Type Combo Rather Go With This

Fearow
    Clefable
    Parasect
    Venomoth
    Dugtrio
    Victreebell

9 Times Outa 10 Nobody Use These Pokemon. Umbreon Is Mor Popular Than Meganium. Only Mr.mine Porygon2 N Gligar R Unpopular. From Wat I See Wigglytuff Is Actually Mor Popular Than Clefable N Even Persian Is Mor Popular. Why Alakazam Isnt Less Popular I Dont Kno. Mewtwo Is Better In Every Stat Of The Word. Rare Pokemon R Popular Common Pokemon R Unpopular. If Venomoth Was Rare 151 Pokemon He Would Be 10 Time As Popular N From Wat I See Venomoth Is Less Used Than Wat Is Thought Of As Underused Such As Fearow N Raticate Is Pretty ****ing Popular Than U Might Think N Ive Seen A Few Ppl Use It

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    9 Times Outa 10 Nobody Use These Pokemon. Umbreon Is Mor Popular Than Meganium. Only Mr.mine Porygon2 N Gligar R Unpopular. From Wat I See Wigglytuff Is Actually Mor Popular Than Clefable N Even Persian Is Mor Popular. Why Alakazam Isnt Less Popular I Dont Kno. Mewtwo Is Better In Every Stat Of The Word. Rare Pokemon R Popular Common Pokemon R Unpopular. If Venomoth Was Rare 151 Pokemon He Would Be 10 Time As Popular N From Wat I See Venomoth Is Less Used Than Wat Is Thought Of As Underused Such As Fearow N Raticate Is Pretty ****ing Popular Than U Might Think N Ive Seen A Few Ppl Use It

Umbreon is only mildly popular. as much as i love it, most people just like its looks, and don't bother using it in a serious battle. and you say "only Mr. Mime, Porygon2 and Gligar are unpopular" like taking a team with three pokemon most people hate and winning in a tournament is easy. Alakazam is more popular than you deem proper because most trainers have a "no using legendaries in a serious battle" rule. that limits your choices on a psychic type. and, to be honest, most pokemon aren't unpopular because of how common or rare they are, it's because there's usually a pokemon with their type that's better than they are, statistically speaking. so, Venomoth is unpopular because there are a good handful of bug types that are significantly better than it in a battle. also, Fearow isn't THAT underused, it's just typically passed up for Pidgeot, or any flying type that has more power, and Raticate? we've been over this. regardless of what you think, Raticate is still unpopular, mostly for the role of "annoying pokemon that comes up a lot" that it plays in the storyline of the game. and we've already gone over its merits.

oh, and by the way: you're allowed to swear on here. you don't have to put ****ing.

ZER0

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2007
    Be Entitled To Yo Own Opinion. This Whole Forum Is

Ai-Chan

I love Roark~ x3
    Years
    Staryu & Starmie! <3
    Staryu's my favorite Pokemon. xD I dunno why, it's just loveable. xD

I'll see a Starmie every once in a while, because it can get some pretty nice attacks. [Water moves, psychic moves, and an electric move]
    But I usually just use Staryu 'cause it's really cute [To me atleast... xD]

I pretty much go for Pokemon on their cute factor. xD;
    So baby pokemon like Smoochum are some of my favorites.

I also have an obsession with water pokemon... xD
    & I've caught and raised a Magikarp from lvl. 5 before, also. xDD Though I assume other people do, too? ^^;;

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    I use Dunsparce some times.

It has no good attacks and has very low stats.

Only reason i use mine is that its level 60...

I used dunsparce like crazy for awhile lol.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    to Chaotix: Dunsparce? jeez. i applaud you. there are only like, two combos that thing can learn at all. i can't make myself train one, but i always kinda liked it. it's like a little floating dragon, kinda...

and to Ai-Chan: i love that you use Staryu, but "Deathstar" (a Starmie with Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Psychic) is actually pretty widely used. or, it used to be. i guess it was also more popular in Red and Blue than Gold and Silver. but how can you not love the thing?

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2008
    Most underused Pokemon:

Linoone - It can learn a variety of attacks, but, as many normal types, it isn't very strong.
    Raticate - Same reason.
    Furret - Same reason.
    Pikachu - Everone's pretty much sick of it. The ones that aren't evolve it within a day.
    Eevee - Everyone wants one because they like Umbreon or Jolteon, but when's the last time you saw an Eevee on someone's team?

I use furret.
    It can learn strenght, surf, cut, & dig
    Pretty sweet

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I use a Politoed, Porygon3, Hypno, and.... a level 100 magicarp. It's actually not that bad, because it knows flail!

SilverDragonair

Dragon Master
    Years
    I think the reason a lot of people don't use Umbreon in serious battle is because they aren't aware of the potential Umbreon has. I have a bred female Umbreon with Shadow Ball, Crunch, Attract, and Return. (I know a lot of people say Crunch can't be bred into an Umbreon, but it's possible. Mine is proof of that). My Umbreon is practically indestructable, and I'm actually getting quite bored with her LOL I want her to battle something really, really hard.

During one game, I actually went through the whole thing with a Furret on my team. It was so cute, and it could learn a lot of powerful moves. I'm pretty sure mine knew Dig and Strength too. But then again, I also suped it up with Carbos, Iron, ect...lol

Back