• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Undiscovered pokemon of tomorrow's metagame is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalFlare

.::Pokecommunity's Finest::.
Years
  • --=== Tauros ===--

LEAD

Tauros @ Choice Band / Life Orb
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Intimidate
    EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~ Return
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Pursuit

Damage Taken

~ Normal ( x1 )
    ~ Fire ( x1 )
    ~ Water ( x1 )
    ~ Electric ( x1 )
    ~ Grass ( x1 )
    ~ Ice ( x1 )
    ~ Fight ( x2 )
    ~ Poison ( x1 )
    ~ Ground ( x1 )
    ~ Flying ( x1 )
    ~ Psychic ( x1 )
    ~ Bug ( x1 )
    ~ Rock ( x1 )
    ~ Ghost ( x0 )
    ~ Dragon ( x1 )
    ~ Dark ( x1 )
    ~ Steel ( x1 )

Base Stats

~ HP: 75
    ~ Attack: 100
    ~ Defense: 95
    ~ Special Attack: 40
    ~ Special Defense: 70
    ~ Speed: 110

~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O

So we all know the maned Bull for rampaging through the safari zone, and always mocking us with it's "HAHAHAHA n00b you can't catch me" attitude when it comes to catching it. However, when you do tame the wild beast many would go as far as to say it's not suitable for the OU environment. This isn't true, the only reason it's BL is because it's unpopular, unlike Charizard who's caught between realms. Now I've been using Tauros for a while and it's become a key part of my team. From 6-0 sweeping with return to breaking some key sweepers, Tauros is seriously a force to be reckoned with.

The most popular set for Tauros would have to be the choice band set. It offers the most power with a whole lot of type coverage, but if you've done your research you should know this. Tauros makes a great lead because once it starts rampaging, it really doesn't have to stop unless it's obvious that it cannot continue. even if it rampages for as long as it can without stopping you can probably make a good three pokemon dent in the person's team, if not destroying it completely.

Now aside from Tauros as a lead it also makes a great offensive counter. With a base speed of 110 it outspeeds some key offensive sweepers like lucario, infernape, and gyarados. Not only does it outspeed those major threats, but with the intimidate factor in place it also weakens them to a considerable degree. With an intimidate switch to a Gyarados even with a dragon dance it can't OHKO while the CB stone edge can probably 2HKO it. Not to mention it doesn't even have to switch in, as a revenge killer it works wonders.

So next time you're looking for power and speed in a single enchilada look no further than the l33tness of Tauros.

~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O

~~ Smogon University Sets ~~
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tauros

{ Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Still trying to get used to Pokecommunity. }

~ FinalFlare

Last edited:
    Years
  • Linking to sets seems pretty dull. If you're going to gawk at Tauros' amazingness, justify it here. Post sets that you think are good. Your own tweaks to Smogon sets. Calculations that boost Tauros' self-esteem.

FinalFlare

.::Pokecommunity's Finest::.
    Years
  • Linking to sets seems pretty dull. If you're going to gawk at Tauros' amazingness, justify it here. Post sets that you think are good. Your own tweaks to Smogon sets. Calculations that boost Tauros' self-esteem.

I know. I just dont have the time at the moment to show you specific sets, so I just gave you some of the basic idea for now. Ill probably update later, but for now. Im watching the New York Giants vs. the Dallas Cowboys. Here is the set that I usually use...

Lead

Tauros @ Choice Band / Life Orb
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Intimidate
    EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~ Return
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Pursuit

Last edited:

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Not only does Tauros have a mediocre STAB, but it has no way to hit Steels that float. Yes, this includes Skarmory and Bronzong, who HUGELY popular walls. Even 2 crit Stone Edge's from a Choice Bander can't kill Skarm. This isn't a testament to Skarmory's defensive capabilities, but to Tauros's lack of brutal power. I agree that against some of the less bulky sweepers, such as Infernape, Lucario, and Electivire it can be quite troublesome, but things with decent Defense really ruin it. For example, a Choice Banded Metagross isn't affected by Intimidate, and takes up to 70% from a Choice Banded Earthquake, living quite convincingly. It then retaliates with a Choice Band Meteor Mash, which easily OHKOs (99% minimum).

I find Tauros to work quite well by making it a bulky ResTalk user, since even a Life Orb Gyarados at -1 Attack can't even 3HKO Tauros with Waterfall, assuming that Sandstorm and SR/Spikes are in effect. Even still, there are better things to fill this role out. Then comes Anger Point, which is gimmick.

Also, that lead doesn't handle any of the common leads, at all. In fact, Bronzong uses it as set up fodder, and Aerodactyl outspeeds it easy.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Essentially what Vance said. Tauros also has a very bad movepool and is prone to getting killed by revenge killers like ScarfGar and even Scarfmence.

Don't overestimate Tauros. It's good for catching Scarfgar on the revenge with Pursuit and beating up some more poorly done offensive teams, but it is severely limited nowadays.

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Uh, since it is super-effictive on nothing, resisted by two types (one of them extremely common), and completely ineffective on another type that also we see a fair amount of.
    Oh, I forgot that it couldn't learn Earthquake or Pursuit. Maybe it can learn Mud Slap?

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • Oh, I forgot that it couldn't learn Earthquake or Pursuit. Maybe it can learn Mud Slap?

You were only asking why its STAB sucked. Sure it can learn those, but if you choose to CB it, a bad prediction can screw you over, cause it won't matter what else you have if you're stuck on the wrong move. Yes, that is always the case with Choicers, but many other Choicers have a STAB that is a little more reliable.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Since when is 104 Base Power running off of STAB, Life Orb/CB, and a 328 Attack medicore?

Oh, I forgot that it couldn't learn Earthquake or Pursuit. Maybe it can learn Mud Slap?

YEAH BECAUSE EARTHQUAKE PURSUIT ARE TWO STABS RIGHT???????????/////. AND EVERYONE RUNS ADAMANT TAUROS RIGHT???????///// (no one does by the way, meaning Tauros's max attack is 299. NOT EVEN 300 LOLZ)

Honestly, if you're just going to take what I say and twist it around, don't bother responding to my post. I'm referring to it's STAB attack. The attack it relies on to do the most damage. Earthquake doesn't stop Skarmory or Bronzong, and Pursuit isn't going to hurt bulkier Ghosts such as Dusknoir. Tauros's movepool is horribly predictable, and the fact that it can't surprise you at all only makes it easier to stop. Take Salamence for example. There is no way you can determine a Salamence's moveset when it enters battle. At all. It's a game of wits; bring in a physical wall and die to a special attack. Bring in a special wall and die to a physical attack. Then comes the hold items; Yache Berry makes revenge killing it harder than it already is, Choice ___ makes it either faster than you or hit hard enough to pierce the reliable defenses of your team. And Life Orb gives it freedom to do as it pleases. Tauros has 2 usable items; Life Orb and Choice Band. Both movesets are the exact same, except one grants freedom and the other hits harder.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Since when is 104 Base Power running off of STAB, Life Orb/CB, and a 328 Attack medicore?

When statistically it's one of the worst attack types in the game (Doug on Smogon actually has a chart and physical normal attacks are like the third lowest). This isn't like Flygon's average attack where it has Outrage with great coverage and better power. It has horrible coverage coming off of average attack (at least for a physical sweeper) and it's locking itself into that move. Besides, with 328 Atk it's running adamant which means it loses its ability to beat Infernape and Gengar. Not like it really matters, but it's 102 base power.

I don't even see why it matters since you know and I know that Tauros can't hurt a thing...otherwise it would be used more.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • CB tauros is so old but has always been viable. done several sweeps with it.

and to say that it doesn't hurt a thing? come on, don't overexaggerate. it's an unconventional sweeper do to its limited movepool and lower attack, this is true. however, STAB return w/ CB has many viable usages even in the OU metagame, if not especially FOR the OU metagame. there is so much concentration of counters and prediction that makes an attack with poor coverage for physical variants actually worth giving a try.

Last edited:

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • I agree with Samson. I've hurt pleny of things with CB Tauros. Saying "Can't hurt a thing" is a massive understatement.

People are so quick to write off pokes that looks bad on paper. Well, that's how you become the greatest at theorymon.

Not that I'm saying it doesn't have those weaknesses that Vance & Anti mentioned, but I've used it, and it has done plenty of good for me.

EDIT: Then again, I run my Tauros with Double Edge, not Return. It does pretty good damage to quite a few switch ins (Dark Asself is Tauros week, but uses Celebii to cheet).

EDIT Two: People seem to think that just because it is 'outclassed' means it is unviable. Trying outclassed things really helps evolves the game, not that it has anything to do with Tauros, no sarcasm intended. Point is, don't be so quick to write it off just because there are other options. I've used it, it's done well, and no one seems to expect it comming at all.

Last edited:

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
  • Also, let's not forget this set, although the rise in priority moves further nulls its success.

Tauros@Salac Berry/Leftovers
    Jolly, Anger Point
    252atk/252speed/6HP

Substitute
    Return
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Sub, Sub, and Sub away. If the opponent activates your Anger Point with a critical hit, then they might be in a world of pain. With a Salac Berry, you can tie with ScarfGar, but if you want to stick with Adamant, go ahead so you at least have over 300 attack.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I know you weren't trying to boost the set up ABYAY so don't take this as directed at you necessarily but...

Almost any strategy that relies on luck isn't going to be great (especially one as scarfer and priority weak, not to mention it can't hurt anything even with a boost where it can't even OHKO Skarmory). Anger Point is "other options" material to use Smogon's term...I mean it's totally inferior to the Choice Bander. At most I'd just switch abilities on the CBer and call it a day.

And I actually have tried it (you know back when I would try Articuno and Claydol lol) and it still couldn't do anything. It wasn't that I couldn't predict (I actually could at the time), it's that Tauros just doesn't deal enough damage.

I mean I see where you're coming from sims, but even in practice Tauros is massively underpowered. Yeah "It can't hurt a thing" is stretching things a bit, but it has severe troubles with a lot of the OU tier, and its damage output is horrific for a Choice Bander.

I think it's interesting that you mentioned Double-Edge though, since that absolutely makes Tauros better offensively (though it doesn't get as many switch-ins but whatever). It makes all the difference against stuff like Heatran and also to waters...I mean Tauros needs all the power it can get.

It's a shame normal is one of the worst attack types in the game, otherwise Tauros could actually be way better. Being a potential set-up fodder for Scizor, Heatran, Gengar, and many many more is putting yourself at a disadvantage.

So yea, agreeing with sims to an extent but the game has largely passed Tauros by to the point where it's hardly usable compared to other options. It doesn't have have "unpredictability" since everybody knows what it runs and anybody who doesn't can look it up. It's not like Salamence or Gengar or anything.

sims796

Years
  • This is a nice little discussion, we should do it moar often.

With Double Edge, I've been able to hurt so many things, it's amazing. In this particular metagame (I don't like that word), there is such a huge emphasis on exact counters, a little guy like Tauros can really shine. He is pretty beefy, and has to great abilities.

Anger Point is such a great ability for those who don't care about having a huge win/loss record. This isn't directed at you, Anti, but the majority. Luck is a terrible strategy, but it also comes with being the most fun. Nothing like a lucky streak for a win. You've said this, but ABYAY wasn't building that set up. It's just a fun alternative to spam that awesome Anger Point. Intimidate is superior, of course.

All in all, I've had such fun playing with [Intimidate] Tauros. It isn't terrible, it certainly isn't as great as the thread starter makes it out to be, but it is very much usable when you want to try something different without failing hard.

Oh, and I feel I should mention, I never liked Return when it has Double Edge. After doing 50% to a Gliscor switch in (not that I'm bragging, I was just impressed) is pretty good.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    CB tauros is so old but has always been viable. done several sweeps with it.

and to say that it doesn't hurt a thing? come on, don't overexaggerate. it's an unconventional sweeper do to its limited movepool and lower attack, this is true. however, STAB return w/ CB has many viable usages even in the OU metagame, if not especially FOR the OU metagame. there is so much concentration of counters and prediction that makes an attack with poor coverage for physical variants actually worth giving a try.

"It can't hurt a thing" is exaggeration, that's for sure. But it's not really far from the truth. Stone Edge doesn't OHKO the standard Gengar from a Choice Bander, and a Life Orb Return fails to OHKO Infernape. 2 critical hits from Stone Edge on the Choice Bander fail to 2HKO the standard Skarmory. Much of the common top 10 (Tyranitar, Heatran, Scizor, Gengar) come in on the Choice Bander, and happily set up on the switch from Return.

I agree with Samson. I've hurt pleny of things with CB Tauros. Saying "Can't hurt a thing" is a massive understatement.

Perhaps, but the lack of OHKOing Gengar is pretty sad =[

People are so quick to write off pokes that looks bad on paper. Well, that's how you become the greatest at theorymon.

Oh no, I've USED Tauros before, and it failed to net many key KOs.

Not that I'm saying it doesn't have those weaknesses that Vance & Anti mentioned, but I've used it, and it has done plenty of good for me.

EDIT: Then again, I run my Tauros with Double Edge, not Return. It does pretty good damage to quite a few switch ins (Dark Asself is Tauros week, but uses Celebii to cheet).

Uses Suicide moves only shows the Pokemon needs a lot of help to get past things (Staraptor for example)

EDIT Two: People seem to think that just because it is 'outclassed' means it is unviable. Trying outclassed things really helps evolves the game, not that it has anything to do with Tauros, no sarcasm intended. Point is, don't be so quick to write it off just because there are other options. I've used it, it's done well, and no one seems to expect it comming at all.

If something is outclassed, then it's an inferior choice. This metagame revolves around winning, and although it hurts the chances of things like Tauros to shine, it makes it much more competative.

Also, let's not forget this set, although the rise in priority moves further nulls its success.

Tauros@Salac Berry/Leftovers
    Jolly, Anger Point
    252atk/252speed/6HP

Substitute
    Return
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Sub, Sub, and Sub away. If the opponent activates your Anger Point with a critical hit, then they might be in a world of pain. With a Salac Berry, you can tie with ScarfGar, but if you want to stick with Adamant, go ahead so you at least have over 300 attack.

Yay for gimmick sets.

This is a nice little discussion, we should do it moar often.

With Double Edge, I've been able to hurt so many things, it's amazing. In this particular metagame (I don't like that word), there is such a huge emphasis on exact counters, a little guy like Tauros can really shine. He is pretty beefy, and has to great abilities.

Anger Point is such a great ability for those who don't care about having a huge win/loss record. This isn't directed at you, Anti, but the majority. Luck is a terrible strategy, but it also comes with being the most fun. Nothing like a lucky streak for a win. You've said this, but ABYAY wasn't building that set up. It's just a fun alternative to spam that awesome Anger Point. Intimidate is superior, of course.

Anger Point sucks. Intimidate is better in every single case. It makes Tauros quite bulky.

All in all, I've had such fun playing with [Intimidate] Tauros. It isn't terrible, it certainly isn't as great as the thread starter makes it out to be, but it is very much usable when you want to try something different without failing hard.

Oh, and I feel I should mention, I never liked Return when it has Double Edge. After doing 50% to a Gliscor switch in (not that I'm bragging, I was just impressed) is pretty good.

I think Tauros is in the middle of BL. It'll never be OU by any stretch of the imagination, but it has its moments and can be considered broken for UU.

sims796

Years
  • Yeah. First, you never proved why Anger Point sucks. You kinda dismissed most of my cases, without ACTUALLY aadressing them.

Double Edge a suicide move? Doesn't Infernape use Flare Blitz? Doesn't Staraptor use Double Edge/Brave Bird? Just because it has a recoil, doesn't mapke it a desprate move. Hell, Outrage has an even more serious setback.

As I said, Anger Pont is for the high risk/high reward strategy. Just because YOU don't use it, doesn't mean it sucks. Especially if your aim is to LET LOOSE & HAVE FUN, which I've also adressed. I've stated the fact that Anger Point is inferior, but it has a workable set that is a blast to use.

Tauros can 2HKO most pokes that you have mentioned, and is faster than the others. Tauros also has a move for each of those pokes. If you are outpredicted then that's on you, but I've taken out those pokes (except Scizor, for some reason) many times before. Sure, I've been outpredicted a time or two. Big deal. You are only speaking one side of the spectrum (IF they switch in on this, then blah blah blah). You'll need spot on playing to use it, but it is a very rewarding, very enjoyable poke to use.

And as I said, just because it is outclassed, doesn't make it viable. I never said that it was the go to poke, nor did I say it was superior to any other option. But it certainly isn't terrible or unusable if you wanted to. With such a huge nitch with today's metagame, he can fit in quite comfortably when played right. there is more than just the 20 pokes in the metagame.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back