• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unrealistic Moves

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
Years
  • Earthquake wouldn't do much, at worst it would make the Pokemon fall over.
    I could be wrong here, but I think Earthquake was intended to have a shockwave travel through the ground to deal Earthquake's damage. Falling over would just be an added bonus.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Off the top of my head, none of the moves are too unrealistic. Sunny Day/Rain Dance powering Fire or Water moves makes sense to me, though it may seem confusing if I try to explain.

Hyper Beam, maybe.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Just did some research, that happens in the anime but not the game.

Technically, Earthquake never got to see the light in anime ever since an earthquake struck Japan while they were developing an episode that, ironically, was supposed to feature the move Earthquake and decided to cancel it and avoided using eartnquake, fearing another Earthquake would jinx them again.

Anyway, alot of people tend to refer move visuals through the anime and believed thats how it would look in-game.

King Of Pokemon

Pokemon King
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2014
    String Shot lowering speed? It's string, the pokemon could just pull it off

Also, guillotine and only making the pokemon faint? I wasn't aware pokemon could live without heads.

Brolijah

Secretly (Not) Active
    Years
  • Also, guillotine and only making the pokemon faint? I wasn't aware pokemon could live without heads.
    Apparently game logic says you can live with a broken neck. (Fall damage lol).
    I think everybody can agree to the following: Amnesia. Why does forgetting something raise the Special Defense?? I think I can see (oooh so barely) how that would raise a defense towards psychic, but overall, just no!

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    Apparently game logic says you can live with a broken neck. (Fall damage lol).
    I think everybody can agree to the following: Amnesia. Why does forgetting something raise the Special Defense?? I think I can see (oooh so barely) how that would raise a defense towards psychic, but overall, just no!

let's just say it like this:
    I am a Slowbro. I have amnesia, I forget my fears, such as the fact that Electric does Super Effective damage against water. Pretty much like that XD

Years
  • pretty much all water type moves are unrealistic. hydro pump could work, but water gun and bubble would be a mild irritant. anime comes to the rescue by making the bubbles explode, but still.

also I love how the existence of quick attack means that, in realistic terms, pokemon that use tackle just aren't trying very hard

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Payday. Infinite coins popping out of a Meowth's head? Unlikely. I'd think they'd bleed to death, even.

Minimize. Unless they truly were the origins of the "shrinking ball" technology, then I'd find it very unrealistic.

Egg bomb. Look at Payday, except I have no idea where they get the eggs. In the anime, they "bounce off" and return to the pocket-- wait, wtf? Eggs bouncing off? And look below (softboiled), their shells couldn't be so hard/rubbery to...bounce off and still be cracked open for breakfast. That's just terrible.

Softboiled...you tell me that Pokemon eat eggs... of Chansey/Blissey? Okay, I'll end it there as this might turn into some disgusting and gory horror movie.

False Swipe. A pokemon's a thread away from death (a.k.a 1 HP). You hit it with another swipe... it doesn't faint? What?

Morning Sun and Moonlight. In the middle of the night and day, respectively.

Yawn. Good lord, my little Psyduck whose mind is in another dimension, how did you end up sleeping.

Ice ball. Great, my Spheal just coughed up some ice block. If they keep doing this in the north pole, we'd have world-wide winter all-year round.

Every other continuous attack like Hydro Pump or Flamethrower. Seriously, they never run out of juice. Sure, I personally know a human who could infinitely produce and spit up bubbles with his own saliva (not kidding!)... but to be able to produce Hydropumps with such a small body (squirtle!? he can only squirt!) is really unrealistic... and random.

Surf out of nowhere or dig in the middle of the Ocean or Avalanche inside a volcano... speaking of which, I'm going off-topic for a moment. Sending a Charmander/any of it's line underwater should kill it (according to the dex entry). But apparently, mine still evolved into a Charmeleon. Your pokedex is making stuff up. Anyway, back to the moves. Sure, they've never done it in the anime... but who knows, right?

Ice Burn. Now I think someone's spilled his cup o coffee on the move data.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't know too much about the moves and how they are unrealistic, but the Pokemon that can learn them.. Like, Aron, he can learn iron tail.. And he doesn't even have a tail.. And so can Alakazam too apparently.. :S
    Dodue can learn fly (Hehe helicopter head), Diglet learn slash, Wooper learning ice punch... With what hands?! And the fact that snorlax can selfdestruct..! That's messy.. Haha!

And how you can use the move dive on land, use dig while in a battle in the middle of the ocean water, you can use fly underwater, you can use a tiny pigy to fly you across the other side of a map...

But as for un realistic moves and effects they do... All I can think of is bubble killing an onix in one hit... Haha.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
  • Payday. Infinite coins popping out of a Meowth's head? Unlikely. I'd think they'd bleed to death, even.

It gets even weirder when you consider that Pokemon other than Meowth can learn it (typically via TM). Where do they get those coins from? Alchemy?

Other unrealistic moves:

- Power/Guard Swap/Split, Power Trick, Reflect Type, and other moves that manipulate a Pokemon's type or set stat level. It seems like these moves operate on game stats and not real-world concepts, and in the real world it's just bizarre to talk about one's defense and offense being manipulated like that.
    - The exception to the above is Soak, since it makes sense that throwing lots of water on someone would temporarily make them behave more Water-like as far as strengths and weaknesses go (i.e. being more fireproof and vulnerable to electric shock when wet).
    - Ally Switch. It has an application in in-game triple battles, but what good is it realistically? In a real-life triple battle, the Pokemon would be moving around so much that each participant wouldn't really have much of a set position.

Years
  • - Fire Fang... Mostly ouch for the Pokemon whose mouth is on fire...

- Crunch... What is a crunch? It's not even an action. And it's [ractically the same animation of bite... So is it just a critical bite ore something???

- Magic Leaf... Flying rainbow leaves hit you...? Ouch?

- All water type moves... Where do they store the water?

And the two main ones:

COTTON GUARD AND COTTON SPORE

Seriously GameFreak? How the hell does covering yourself in cotton balls increase your ability to withstand Flamethrower. And how does it lower your speed??? WTF?

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I never understood why tail whip lowered defense instead of just being a standard physical attack. That's like the equivalent of me shaking my booty or something. lol

Years
  • Dugtrio used Slash!
    Cryogonal used Attract!

Also...

Unrealistic Moves

Back