• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Upgraded Storage Space

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    In B/W we got an upgrade from 540 Pokemon to 720 Pokemon total allowed to be stored. I'm going to take advantage of this and I finally have room to store my Synchronizers, Eggs, and all my other Pokemon nicely organized!

How do you organize your Pokemon?
    Are you going to take advantage of this extra room?

Years
  • Yeah, In every other game I just randomly placed Pokemon in whatever box was open at the time but I think I'm finally gonna take the time to organize them all since I'm gonna try to complete my pokedex.

Hyrulian_Hero

Pocket Monster Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    the way I had it in Heartgold was

bug/grs
    fire
    water
    elc/stl
    rck/grnd
    fighting
    psychic
    drk/ghst
    normal
    drgn/psn
    ice
    Unown
    Legends
    Shinies
    eggs
    Newcomers
    Main Pkmn

Years
  • I usually organise my boxes based on pokémon types. I leave Box [1] free so that all of the pokémon I catch during free-play are transferred there. Then, when I have free time, I'll go to a PC and move the pokémon to their respective type-controlled boxes! Box [2] would be for normal-type pokémon, Box [3] for Fire, Box [4] for Water and so on.

I always use the last 2 boxes on the PC system for a couple of different purposes as well. One box for legendaries that I've caught and the other for main team switch-ins & HM mules. Main team switch-ins are usually just pokémon that I tend to alternate between quite often to progress onward with the main story or for the pokémon league. I put pokémon that I've received from NPC-trades or in-game events [e.g. Jasmin's Steelix, Friday Lapras] in the same box as legendaries since it's more-or-less the same thing; unique, one-off pokémon etc. etc.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I don't have a set system for my boxes usually, but in HG/SS I organized them by level- specifically, Boxes 1-5 are under level 30, while Boxes 6 and 7 are over level 30 (and thus Battle Hall eligible). Box 5 has a bunch of Chanseys, Box 8 has Pokemon I've bred and am going to train, and Boxes 9-10 have Pokemon/eggs I'm currently breeding. I never used all the space I had, so I doubt the upgraded space in BW will affect me much.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I ALWAYS used to run out of room, but now that there's more space, I can fit every Pokemon inside of it.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    In my SS I had a quite neat pc system going on, it was split into:
    Breeding; Giggity.
    Training; Y'know, to like, train.
    Journey; Pokemon I had used in the storyline and wasn't willing to release, for old times sake haha.
    Trading; just whacked pokemon I would put on the quick trade thread here or for planned trades...
    Trophies; All my shinies, events, legendaries were whacked in here.
    Battling; Just all my Ev'd pokemon who I'd rotate around for battles :P

I'll try and keep this up for when I get white but for the main story my boxes usually go awol XD

JRoe

Grass Type Lover
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    Generally I just shove them in the box and be done with it... but then I have to go through the hastle of searching for the Pokemon I want, so in Platinum I've ordered them numerically by the National Dex, and after I've filled it (W/Out any Event Legendaries) I'm going to go through the lengthy process of sending them to my white.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't really care for organising, but I do plan to go on catching sprees. All the room though... not really needed for me, because I don't plan to bring past Pokemon into the games. XD;

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I don't really organize my pokemon. I usually just catch them and leave them there or move them when I use them. The only organized boxes I have in other games are boxes to breed and a box for shiny pokemon. Usually I also keep a box of pokemon I tend to use frequently.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't like the fact that you start off with 8 boxes, but I like the idea of getting new ones if you put 1 Pokemon in each box. The fact I can put 720 Pokemon in the PC is very neat.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • I'm SO am. I mean, now I have a box for every type(no paring of two types), one for Unown, all Legendaries, and an extra four boxes as storage and such.
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of the new box system, so much more efficient...

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • I've always organized my PC box by type. I like the new system, because I have enough boxes for each type, plus enough to have 2 boxes for Water and Normal and still have a Breeding, Event and Box of my own stuff. Shinies just go in the normal boxes =)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Initially, I organize my boxes either by type, level, or evolutionary status. I like to change the wallpapers so that I have a box for each type, but I quickly get sick of organizing, and my system falls apart.

On Diamond, I have a number of boxes for different purposes, but I didn't start out with any sort of master box organizing plan. I have several boxes of miscellaneous Pokemon that I caught in the game, several boxes for bred Pokemon (they used to contain lots of Squirtles and Bulbasaurs that I bred before learning how to RNG, but I finally moved a bunch of those to My Pokemon Ranch), a box of legendaries and events that I obtained myself, several boxes of other events, a couple of boxes of shinies I traded for, a box of shinies I RNGed, a box with starters, two boxes of Dittos, a box of GTS traded Pokedex fillers/alternate ID numbers, a box (or half a box) of "junk" Pokemon to trade away, a box of egg move Pokemon, and a box of frequently used Pokemon (HM users, extra team members, my Magcargo and Camerupt for hatching eggs, etc.).

My B/W games are currently sitting in an Amazon box at home, waiting for spring break to start, so I haven't worked out my organizational system for them yet. I suspect that I'll probably have a system that's similar to the one I have in Diamond (though I probably won't have a chance to trade as much as I did when Diamond came out). I don't plan on transferring too many of my old Pokemon to B/W, aside from newly hatched Pokedex fillers (or, potentially, freshly bred team members).

I'm glad we have more box space, though it makes sense given that there are more Pokemon now. I just wish we had even more box space (maybe even an infinite amount). I don't want to worry about catching too many Pokemon, and I hate releasing Pokemon.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen today
    Now I have a box for each of my teams and each of my breeding chains :)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Right now I have absolutely no rhyme or reason to my boxes. I'm only filling the Unova dex right now but if I decide to fill the National Dex, I'll probably sort it like I sorted Diamond's dex. I'll leave a space for every Pokémon and possibly work toward a living dex this time.

Anyway, I'm super excited for all the extra space. ♥ I had almost completely filled my Diamond's boxes before I just shoved everything on Ranch. So having more than just one box of extra space will be godly.

Back