• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News US-Iran crisis intensifies after general assassinated

Maedar

Banned
Years
  • Why is it that so many people keep thinking Trump will somehow metamorphosize into a capable leader? He has none of the requirements necessary to successfully lead this nation. Not only does he lack wisdom, intelligence and empathy, he has no understanding of diplomacy, negotiation, history or world cultures. His mental state is in question with every rash decision he makes. Trump is obviously jealous of anyone and everyone in government who knows more about international situations than he does. He has never been a success in business; his business failures and six bankruptcy filings have left countless people devoid of their savings and contractors unpaid for work done for him. He rants about the NFL when his only experience in football was running the USFL into the ground. No American banks would grant him loans he sought, so he turned to the Russians for his money. For Trump, his office is just a setting for another game show in which he can scream "You're fired!" at anyone and everyone who disagrees with him or challenges his decisions. It seems his appeal is mostly for bullies and those who are as stubbornly ignorant as he.

Case in point, LDSMan, read this.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...crimes-against-irans-cultural-sites/23896373/

Specifically, read the replies.

Seeing you guys try so hard to agree with everything he says without admitting he made mistakes never fails to amuse me.

And yes, it's everyone, the international outcry shows that the only folks behind him are his sycophant yes-men who would indeed defend him if he stood on the corner of 5th Avenue and shot someone.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Yes, yes, you hate Trump. Doesn't bother me.

You subscribe motives to me that don't exist. Trump was better than Clinton. That's all. I certainly don't think everything he does is great nor is he the person you describe. Not all that relevant to the discussion at hand.

Why should anyone care about online comments?

No thoughts on the possibility that Iran just killed a plane full of people?

Years
  • Deadly plane crash in Tehran earlier, killing many from my country, so its a bit personal but the over all death count is ridiculous, my deepest condolences.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/08/middleeast/plane-crash-victims-iran-intl/index.html

These people were trying to flee, it's really sad.

This is so terrible and it is starting to look like it was an accident, Iran possibly shooting down the plane because they thought it was a US aircraft.

So far Iran is refusing to release the black box which would either confirm that, or help explain why a relatively new aircraft suddenly crashed, which could save lives.

LDS, my opinion of Trump's complete failure in trying to bully Iran is best summed up here:

https://politizoom.com/2020/01/08/the-stupidity-is-unprecedented/

One of the worst terrorists in the world, the second in command for Lebanon Hezbollah, and the leader of Iraq's Hizbollah is dead, the resulting counter attack was a few rockets that resulted in no US casualties. Can you please explain how that is a failure?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Uh, ALT, they are not obligated to release the black box to us.

In fact, asking them anything is going to be a chore given what Trump did.

They do not have to release the black box to anyone, Boeing, the EU, Japan, no one that is right. However if this was an accident that caused a pretty new plane to catch fire, a model that is flown by tens of thousands everyday. Then releasing it could save many more lives and allow Boeing to figure out what is wrong with their model.

That is of course, if there was anything wrong with the plane.....

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Trust me ALT, Trump has ruined any chance of trust between this country and any other.

This poll was actually taken BEFORE the assassination of General Soleimani, and I do believe it's gotten worse since:

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/...obe-while-views-of-u-s-stay-mostly-favorable/

One of the worst terrorists in the world, the second in command for Lebanon Hezbollah, and the leader of Iraq's Hizbollah is dead, the resulting counter attack was a few rockets that resulted in no US casualties. Can you please explain how that is a failure?

First, one could say that Trump is the bigger terrorist. You could argue that Soleimani was defending his own people from invaders engaged in an illegal occupation, with the goal of looting their oil fields.

This was not a military operation to remove an enemy leader. This was murder.

Trump had no authority to order an air strike with the intent of killing him, he had no approval from Congress (something you condemned Obama for, I might add) he committed a blatant war crime by threatening to bomb historic and cultural sites.

AND, I might add, I'm sick of Republicans saying that Democrats are siding with Iran. Biden said, bluntly, "No one will mourn Soleimani." And besides, I do believe at this point that even if Rep. Omar were to breakdance on his grave, Trump's blindly loyal sycophants would say her sympathies lie with him.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Trust me ALT, Trump has ruined any chance of trust between this country and any other.

This poll was actually taken BEFORE the assassination of General Soleimani, and I do believe it's gotten worse since:

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/...obe-while-views-of-u-s-stay-mostly-favorable/

So, because the Iranians hate Trump, they are right to not release a black box that could save tens of thousands of lives?

I am not suggesting they release it to the US government, they can give it to Boeing, they can give it to an intermediary, someone, anyone that could be trusted to figure out how this plane went down.

Not doing so, will only further the belief that Iran accidentally shot down their own plane and is trying to cover it up.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • So, because the Iranians hate Trump, they are right to not release a black box that could save tens of thousands of lives?

Why would they? He tore up the nuclear deal, and has now murdered one of their generals.

ALT, let me ask a simple question: Are you not suggesting that the President has the right to order the death of anyone he chooses?

Years
  • Why would they? He tore up the nuclear deal, and has now murdered one of their generals.

Because it could save tens of thousands of innocent lives, people who fly on this exact same model of plane every day.

ALT, let me ask a simple question: Are you not suggesting that the President has the right to order the death of anyone he chooses?

If they provide a clear and present danger to the US or US military he does.

First, one could say that Trump is the bigger terrorist. You could argue that Soleimani was defending his own people from invaders engaged in an illegal occupation, with the goal of looting their oil fields.

Wait are you suggesting Solemani was an Iraqi General from the Saddam regime?

This was not a military operation to remove an enemy leader. This was murder.

Who was meeting with proxy's who had just attacked a US embassy.

Trump had no authority to order an air strike with the intent of killing him, he had no approval from Congress (something you condemned Obama for, I might add) he committed a blatant war crime by threatening to bomb historic and cultural sites

We can go through the laws, but I would suggest the Authorization of War after 9/11 and the War Powers Act of 1973 disagree with you.

AND, I might add, I'm sick of Republicans saying that Democrats are siding with Iran. Biden said, bluntly, "No one will mourn Soleimani." And besides, I do believe at this point that even if Rep. Omar were to breakdance on his grave, Trump's blindly loyal sycophants would say her sympathies lie with him.

Literally no one in this thread are saying the Democrats are siding with Iran.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Because it could save tens of thousands of innocent lives, people who fly on this exact same model of plane every day.

As the nuclear deal could have.

If they provide a clear and present danger to the US or US military he does.

And all the proof Trump and Pompeo have offered, is their word, which to sane Americans, is garbage.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/04/politics/trump-iran-soleimani-strike-concerns/index.html

We can go through the laws, but I would suggest the Authorization of War after 9/11 and the War Powers Act of 1973 disagree with you.

Quoting from Wikipedia,

The War Powers Resolution (also known as the War Powers Resolution of 1973 or the War Powers Act) (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548)[1] is a federal law intended to check the U.S. president's power to commit the United States to an armed conflict without the consent of the U.S. Congress. The resolution was adopted in the form of a United States congressional joint resolution. It provides that the president can send the U.S. Armed Forces into action abroad only by declaration of war by Congress, "statutory authorization," or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces."

I saw no proof of any attack upon the United States, except Trump and Pompeo's word, which again, is garbage. Furthermore, where was this reasoning when Obama launched the strike that killed bin Laden?

Years
  • As the nuclear deal could have.

So because Iran is mad at Trump, they want to endanger thousands of innocent lives?

By the way the nuclear deal of which Iran was already violating, only prevented them from enriching Uranium for a bomb for 15 years. If Iran plans to nuke Israel then the deal did not save any lives, it just postponed the attack.

And all the proof Trump and Pompeo have offered, is their word, which to sane Americans, is garbage.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/04/politics/trump-iran-soleimani-strike-concerns/index.html

Quoting from Wikipedia,

I saw no proof of any attack upon the United States, except Trump and Pompeo's word, which again, is garbage.

Let's ignore that Soleimani went to Iraq in October and prepared his terrorist proxies with Iranian made weapons and plans to attack the US.

Before he flew to Iraq he was in Lebanon briefing Hezbollah on the next step forward after the US Embassy attack, he flew to Iraq and met with the leader that attacked the Embassy and who he had given weapons to in October. It was clear they were planning their next action after the Embassy attack.

Furthermore, where was this reasoning when Obama launched the strike that killed bin Laden?

I was never against such a strike.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • So because Iran is mad at Trump, they want to endanger thousands of innocent lives?

Would you be concerned about ANY number of lives on their side if they, for example, killed VP Pence with no proof of wrongdoing? Or if they threatened to, say, blow up Mt. Rushmore, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Disneyworld?

Look at it that way. People would be screaming for their blood. Just like Iran is now screaming for ours.

Let's ignore that Soleimani went to Iraq in October and prepared his terrorist proxies with Iranian made weapons and plans to attack the US.

Link to proof please. Trump's word does not count.

Edit: Here is the Wikipedia page detailing the Embassy attack:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_attack_on_the_United_States_embassy_in_Baghdad

Soleimani is mentioned twice, once to show that one of the attackers spray-painted "Soleimani is our leader" on the wall, and again to say that his death occurred in the aftermath.

Is the vandalism proof that he was behind the attack? NO. But it seems enough proof to you, it seems.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Would you be concerned about ANY number of lives on their side if they, for example, killed VP Pence with no proof of wrongdoing? Or if they threatened to, say, blow up Mt. Rushmore, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Disneyworld?

Look at it that way. People would be screaming for their blood. Just like Iran is now screaming for ours.

You are right I would be looking for war, however if a plane suddenly exploded killing hundreds of people, I would be up for doing everything possible to get the information out, that would stop more jets from exploding.

Link to proof please. Trump's word does not count.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/tracked-targeted-killed-qassem-soleimanis-final-hours

Years
  • Seems rather vague, but it only reinforces what I already knew. Still see no justification for assassinating him. Sure, he was a bad man, but Trump's actions were extreme.

Wait so he works with Hezbollah Lebanon on what to strike next, he met with Hisbollah Iraq in October to give them weapons and sign off on attacks against the US, he arrives in Iraq days after the embassy attack to talk with the leader of the embassy attack and you say there is no justification? It is abundantly clear that they were planning the way forward after the embassy attack and he was meeting with his terrorist proxies.

" The Revolutionary Guards commander instructed his top ally in Iraq, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, and other powerful militia leaders to step up attacks on U.S. targets in the country using sophisticated new weapons provided by Iran, two militia commanders and two security sources briefed on the gathering told Reuters."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1Z301Z

Back