• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Useful Flying Pokemon

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Mantine and Delibird are missing. Both are crap.

I prefer Gyarados. A pain to evolve, but very useful.
    OBJECTION!

Good sp.def, water absorb, and an abundance of stab moves (except flying.)
    I would know, I used a modest one with water absorb on a previous run. Set up an agility and you can kick butt with ice beam + hydro pump.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Mantine isn't bad it's the Mirror of Skarmory

The only difference between Skarmory and Mantine's stat distribution is in their defenses and attack; Mantine has 80 base Special Attack and 140 base Special Defense, but Skarmory has 80 base Attack and 140 base Defense.

Also

Mantine is tied with Kyogre for having the highest Special Defense out of all Water-type Pokémon.
    Mantine has the highest Special Defense out of all non-legendary Flying-types.

Don't Belive me here go all the way to tthe Triva section https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mantine

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    I used a fearow. Mirror move is really useful, and fearow is a good revenge killer.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Mantine was pretty useful with its high defensive stats, and pretty good SpA. It isn't very hard to train either.

Or Pidgey line, because Pidgeott is strong and fast and easy to train and is found straight away in game. So Pidgeott will probably be the mist useful, Noctowl is not as strong.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Noctowl, not strong? What? He makes Morty a breeze (more specificly Gengar). Being a Normal Type he is immune to Shadow Ball, he has Insonmia so get get Hypnosised, having Psychic Moves for SE damage. Only thing you Fear (though not really) is Sucker Punch and Mean Look. The Former can be easily be counter-acted with Hypnosis.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    Ledian: synonym of crap

:D

I got a Ledyba in my SS, and around the time of fighting the Kimono girls I decided to leave it in the P.C, it really isn't a good pokemon to fight with xD

My favourite flying is probably Wargle from B/W.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    There is a lack of Butterfree in this Thread.It makes me Dissapoint D:

Murkrow is good to, if you mind walking / wait 3 hours at the Safari Zone. And id you do the Safari Zone way, good uck with Murkrows Flee and Catch Rate.

This is comming from someone who did a Run WITHOUT Saving. Yup I exausted my Charger that day,poor guy. D:

G-Virus

The B.O.W. King
    Years
    What about Swellow? If it gets statused, then its Guts ability will boost its attack by 50% (I think?). With Facade, I guess it'll do a significant portion of damage, and if it health gets too low, you can easily make it use roost.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2011
    right now im using dragonite
    waterfall
    fly
    outrage
    ????

anyone know for a last move??

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    What about Swellow? If it gets statused, then its Guts ability will boost its attack by 50% (I think?). With Facade, I guess it'll do a significant portion of damage, and if it health gets too low, you can easily make it use roost.
    Swellow is too frail for Roost. Just U-Turn when you get to low.
    right now im using dragonite
    waterfall
    fly
    outrage
    ????

anyone know for a last move??
    Dragon Dance or Extremespeed (if it is the ExtremeSpeed Dragonite) since it looks like a Physical Dragonite.

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
    Murkrow all the way.

(Have any of you ACTUALLY used that pokewalker yet?)

This. The only downside is that you can't get a Dusk stone to evolve him into a Honchkrow (who is probably my favorite flying-type) without trading until after you beat the E4.

Haonn

hello, zombie ♥
    Years
    There is a lack of Butterfree in this Thread.It makes me Dissapoint D:

Murkrow is good to, if you mind walking / wait 3 hours at the Safari Zone. And id you do the Safari Zone way, good uck with Murkrows Flee and Catch Rate.

This is comming from someone who did a Run WITHOUT Saving. Yup I exausted my Charger that day,poor guy. D:

True, back in the days of RBY I always used a Butterfree :3
    and you can also get a Murkrow with a Pokewalker, I can't remember which course it was but it's not that hard to get by, I used it for a while until I wanted a Pokemon that could evolve before the league. ( couldn't get a stone ;f )

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Well there are couple of pokemon!
    Pidgeot, Noctowl, Fearow, Crobat are just some of the Flying pokemon that you can get very early in the game, and are very helpful!

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
    Charizard was my flying type during the story. As soon as I fought a trainer with a Charmeleon (can't remember which one it was), I requested one on GTS and then bred it. Coincidentally, It evolved into a Charizard around the time I got the Fly HM!

Sapeiro

Random Trainer
    Years
    I actually find Pidgeot to be the best of the early game birds (on par with Noctowl but CERTAINLY better than Fearow).

Noctowl certainly has an edge on Special Defense and HP, and is the only one who can take a Thunderbolt/Ice Beam, and live to tell the tale.
    Fearow's Attack and Speed make it pretty good, but pretty much any STAB attack will KO it, and that kind of sucks.

Pidgeot is like the middle ground. You won't be killing as much as Fearow, but you won't be dying as much either. I'm actually using one in my playthrough (something I don't do since R/B/Y), and it's holding his own as much as my Typhlosion, Pinsir or Espeon.

Years
    Regional Dex- Noctowl is available from the start and can be useful in the beginning.

National Dex- Togekiss, you already have a Togetic from the beginning and all you need is a shiny stone, plus it's very powerful.

Back