• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

:) Using my VMware machine as an my actual machine :)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I love your implication that amateurs that get paid are any less amateur.
    Open Source Software is *always* worse than Commercial. We know this to be a fact by the virtue of Windows' complete and unchallenged dominance.
    So I'm assuming your definition of an amateur is someone that doesn't work for a big corporation, and a professional is someone that does? You realize there are plenty of amateurs in big corporations, and plenty of professionals that are either out of work or at positions in smaller companies. And if you're implying that, because open source software is somehow "worse" (subjective to begin with; there are plenty of arguments to that alone), that the people who make it must be amateurs, then you're affirming the consequent; there are plenty of other reasons that open source software could be "bad" that have nothing to do with the capability (or lack thereof) of the programmers (not to mention that there are plenty of reasons why software could be "good," despite having amateurs programming it).

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Technically speaking, the emulated pc can run "faster" than the host machine even on less specs. Try running TinyXP emulated using VirtualBox or Vmware on a Vista Home Basic machine, it will run faster on 512mb ram (Vista should have 2gb ram). It can also depend if the host is crap. Which is why I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. It runs faster than the emulated machine almost no matter what.

For all intents and purposes, I've run TinyXP legitimately by selecting option nine during installation and entering my own product key. Emulated on a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Vista Home Basic and later Windows 7 Ultimate.

Though in terms of "Double the amount of space" is probably a reference to the 344GB he allocated on his emulated machine of the 500GB hard drive he has. Thus leaving 156GB for his host (very roughly half of his guest).

FYI, 3D support and DirectX in VirtualBox is really scratchy relative to the performance of VMware, just confirming if anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
    Years
    Actually technically speaking, the emulated pc can run "faster" than the host machine even on less specs. Try running TinyXP emulated using VirtualBox or Vmware on a Vista Home Basic machine, it will run faster on 512mb ram (Vista should have 2gb ram). It can also depend if the host is crap. Which is why I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. It runs faster than the emulated machine almost no matter what.

Fresh installs also run faster for those who don't know what processes can be turned off at startup. The OP probably has a fresh install in their guest.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    I'm usually not that much of a stooge.
    Sorry for making you angry.
    I've changed it.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    In any case, a fresh install of XP or even 98 would be faster than any OS they are using...

Even a copy of Linux, popular ones like Ubuntu can almost run twice as a fast as XP with that much features.

Even if the OP requires a product key, he also requires one for the VM :)

EDIT: When did I say Linux was slow? I didn't even say popular ones are faster? O.o

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    In any case, a fresh install of XP or even 98 would be faster than any OS they are using...

Even a copy of Linux, popular ones like Ubuntu can almost run twice as a fast as XP with that much features.

Even if the OP requires a product key, he also requires one for the VM :)
    I don't understand your implication that Linux is slow, and especially that popular distros are faster than less popular ones. You can configure Arch or Gentoo to go at the SPEED OF LIGHT.

Back