• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

:) Using my VMware machine as an my actual machine :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2022
    You think my idea is good? I'm using this Guest OS because my Host OS is slow. On this Guest OS I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3, 344 GB (Twice as much as my Host OS), 2 gigs of RAM, and plus, I think XP is the best Windows OS anyway :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    How does your guest have twice as much HDD space as your host? it doesn't work like that.
    The guest will always live in the constraints of the host. And will always be slower.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • You think my idea is good? I'm using this Guest OS because my Host OS is slow. On this Guest OS I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3, 344 GB (Twice as much as my Host OS), 2 gigs of RAM, and plus, I think XP is the best Windows OS anyway :P
    As Bianca said...

It defies all logic how a virtual machine could be faster than the host... Wouldn't make sense to buy high class servers etc. :P

A virtual machine is like using a part of your system's resources to run an independent system.

Years
  • You think my idea is good? I'm using this Guest OS because my Host OS is slow. On this Guest OS I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3, 344 GB (Twice as much as my Host OS), 2 gigs of RAM, and plus, I think XP is the best Windows OS anyway :P

A few things... some of which have already been asked before:

1. What is your host OS?

2. How the duck does your guest box have twice as much HDD space as the host box? You're going to crash your whole system once you use all the space that is physically there on your hard drive unless you change it so the hard drive is smaller than the host HDD. :\

3. Unless you physically have more than 2 GB of RAM, you're guest OS is using your HDD as a source of virtual memory, which eats up a lot of your precious space. :\

4. Someone has not tried Windows 7 Ultimate. That is good fun to use.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Spoiler:

This is why I don't recommend VMware to newbies. I don't think it's even possible to set your guest OS' specs higher than the host OS in VirtualBox.

Also, if your host OS is running THAT slow, take inventory of your programs, back all your data up besides your programs, and reinstall the OS. Better yet, make a proper partitioning scheme upon re-installation wherein you don't NEED to back up your data before reinstalling.

Last edited:
    Years
  • With all due respect, that's the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time. Running your VM more than the host OS is like clamping yourself with a beartrap in an attempt to be more agile. If you really like XP, Dual Boot it, at least.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • Spoiler:

This is why I don't recommend VMware to newbies. I don't think it's even possible to set your guest OS' specs higher than the host OS in VirtualBox.

Also, if your host OS is running THAT slow, take inventory of your programs, back all your data up besides your programs, and reinstall the OS. Better yet, make a proper partitioning scheme upon re-installation wherein you don't NEED to back up your data before reinstalling.
    Why is that the reason you prefer VirtualBox over VMware? I mean...I have used VMware, and it has many features that I can't find in other VM software, specifically 3D support....

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • You absolutely, positively can not run a VM with higher specs than what the host PC has. In fact, it's incredibly stupid to think that your VM will run faster than your host. Do you even know what a VM does? In order to run, the VM is going to pull resources from your host OS, and it can't pull them all, because obviously the host needs something to run on.

Let's say you've got a 40GB HDD, 1024MB (1GB) of RAM, and a 2GHz CPU. Now let's say that you're computer is already using 45% of the HDD and 512MB of ram. That leaves you with only 50% of the HDD and another 512MB to use for the VM (as you don't want to completely fill up your HDD, and assuming that the application you're using uses physical memory). Not to mention that part of that 512MB needs to be allocated to VRAM (or video memory).

What you really want to do, and I think has been mentioned here already, is to check to see what programs are running in the background and remove them from startup. Just go to Start --> Run (or in Vista/7, click in the Search box) and type in MSCONFIG, then enter. Once there, go to the startup tab and figure out what does and does not need to run at startup (things such as iTunes, Quicktime, JavaUpdater, Adobe Updater, etc...do not need to be running at startup).

If all else fails, back-up all of your data (or at least what you want to save), and reinstall your OS. That's all the advice I give for today! :D

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Why is that the reason you prefer VirtualBox over VMware? I mean...I have used VMware, and it has many features that I can't find in other VM software, specifically 3D support....
    Well, specifically it has different features, and I believe VirtualBox has some 3D support. However, unlike VirtualBox, VMware assumes you actually know what you're doing, which means if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to cause major problems.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • Well, specifically it has different features, and I believe VirtualBox has some 3D support. However, unlike VirtualBox, VMware assumes you actually know what you're doing, which means if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to cause major problems.
    Not if you buy the paid versions... But yeah, if you have the free versions, you need to be able to understand it...
    Like VMware workstation is damn easy to handle... It even installs the OS on its own o.o
    I guess its their way of discouraging freeware?

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Btw VMware supports Aero Glass and Compiz Fusion and other nice little 3D effects ~ not sure where VitualBox is at; but I suspect like all Open Source software it's a pale imitation.

Years
  • Btw VMware supports Aero Glass and Compiz Fusion and other nice little 3D effects ~ not sure where VitualBox is at; but I suspect like all Open Source software it's a pale imitation.

VB is better than Virtual PC by a ton, but that should go without saying. And VMWare is far more capable, from personal experience (though I would've gone Virtual Box if it offered emulation for more than two COM ports).

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I love your implication that amateurs that get paid are any less amateur.
    Open Source Software is *always* worse than Commercial. We know this to be a fact by the virtue of Windows' complete and unchallenged dominance.

Years
  • Linux has been far more stable than Windows from personal experience, in the little time I've had with it (lifelong Windows user here). But it is a lot less user-friendly for those who aren't competent with computers.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I love the "you'll only like linux if you're tech savvy" argument :3 It implies that because I know lots about computers ~ that I must want to use an OS that is more difficult to use than it needs be. Makes sense to me! *rollseyes*

Years
  • I love the "you'll only like linux if you're tech savvy" argument :3 It implies that because I know lots about computers ~ that I must want to use an OS that is more difficult to use than it needs be. Makes sense to me! *rollseyes*

I'm just saying that those who program the various versions of Linux seem to only want to convert the skilled/savvy who are looking for something more stable than Windows but can't stand a Mac (be it price, the OS itself, or just on principle, though the Fedora GUI reminds me very much of Apple's GUIs of the last decade).

Back