• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

USUM's Plot Predictions (s/o to B2W2?)

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    In SM, the plot largely relied on the guidance and quirks of Lillie & Nebby with the upbringing of Hau on the side. Also, the huge scheming of Lusamine connecting with the Ultra Dimension slightly w/ Team Skull.

Also, there have been some similaries/hints to B2W2 which is a bit intriguing:
    1) The Legendary Fusion
    2) Colress & Grimsley Easter Eggs in SM
    3) The vanilla USUM character design kinda reminds me of B2W2's character design with the shorts and leggings underneath

Since all tricks & slips were placed on the table thanks to SM, what do you expect to lead the storyline in USUM?

There's a huge amount of possibilities like:
    1) Lillie & Hau grown up and running the Pokémon League in Alola
    2) Gladion running the Aether Foundation with ease, maybe plotting something as well for his Silvally?
    3) Colress making a grand return from being last seen in SM & is beind the fusion of Solgaleo & Lunala (s/o to user: Hikamaru for the og idea)
    4) Gladion & Colress join up for Pokémon fusions; Gladion tries to achieve the best/strongest Pokémon possible from being dissatisfied with his Silvally & teams up w/ Colress to achieve the best Pokémon
    5) Team Plasma appears! Since Colress was afflicted with Team Plasma, he may want to bring back his Team Plasma lab buddies back and we got our evil team
    6) If USUM is kinda an ode to B2W2, we can expect the return of the PokéStar Studios or the Pokémon World Tournament (Maybe seasons as well ?)
    7) Something similar to the Abyssal Ruins will maybe appear? There is a TON of water in Alola & I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed diving, and if there's diving, there's bound to be some sort of legendary underwater ruins!

Anyways those are some of my thoughts, but again, what are you expecting for USUM's storyline? Any concerns for USUM's storyline? Do you wish to see less of a storyline due to the amount of cutscenes in SM? Why or why not?

pkmin3033

I would honestly love to see a return to the days of Gen IV, where the focus was on you as a player, and not the NPCs that have dominated Pokemon titles from Gen V onwards. They're just not interesting. Game Freak clearly has NO IDEA what constitutes a good story (given that they've been recycling the exact same one since Gen III!) and not a single clue how to develop their characters properly.

I am thoroughly sick and tired of having my hand held, being sidelined in favour of faceless NPCs, and replaying what is essentially EXACTLY the same thing as was in the last game. They need to either take the mute player character out - which they clearly do not intend to do - or give them a more active role in proceedings, so you actually feel like you're a part of things when you're clearly supposed to be.

I don't have any concerns, because I know better. This will be another story about how people want to exploit another Legendary for the same heinous purposes, with the same bland cast, with me as the same faceless player character. Nothing is going to change. Nothing ever does. Pokemon plot has not progressed by even a fraction of an inch since Gen III, and in all probability it never will. It doesn't need to in order to sell, so it won't. Although you would think with all the money they make GF could afford to hire a writer.

blue

gucci
    Years
    We'll probably (and hopefully) get a new evil team similarly to how Neo Team Plasma took over Unova in B2W2. I'm more than positive Colress will have a much more involved role in these games in which hopefully we see him go batshit crazy with fusing Pokémon.

Years
    Like Blue said, I am pretty sure we'll be getting some B2/W2 similarities and have Colress be involved in the major plot, like him having something to do with the new forms of Solgaleo and Lunala.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    I don't know why everyone think this is going to be a sequel. The game isn't called Sun and Moon 2, and Masuda called it an "alternate story in Alola" instead of a story set after the events of Sun and Moon. This is simply Sun and Moon's Platinum, so some things will be fixed and updated and we'll get new forms for Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma as we've seen already. Maybe Gladion will show up more? Since the names have Ultra in them, it seems like the Ultra Beasts will be a lot more present in the main story (thank god), I'd love to see more of the fight between the Tapu's and the Beasts.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    Not sure if that one's possible.

Always a possibility! You never know what could happen!
    (That's if GF decides to plot Gladion like his mother later on aha)

I don't know why everyone think this is going to be a sequel. The game isn't called Sun and Moon 2, and Masuda called it an "alternate story in Alola" instead of a story set after the events of Sun and Moon. This is simply Sun and Moon's Platinum, so some things will be fixed and updated and we'll get new forms for Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma as we've seen already. Maybe Gladion will show up more? Since the names have Ultra in them, it seems like the Ultra Beasts will be a lot more present in the main story (thank god), I'd love to see more of the fight between the Tapu's and the Beasts.

Good point. But for my reasoning personally why I consider it a "sequel" is just how things were portrayed and left out in the open in SM.

SM gave the bread and butter for the roots in Alola and the introduction to the Ultra Dimension it'll be quite hard of GF to simply just forget the foundation they'd built on in SM. For example, it'll hard to re-introduce the Ultra Dimension in another light from Lusamine being the mastermind of it all and the player knowing this from their connection to Lillie (and Lillie's connection to Lusamine is that she's her mother as we all know). Also, not to mention the introduction of the mascot Legendaries from Nebby. Plus, SM left the main-side characters (Lillie, Hau, & Gladion) on their fresh-new starts if you will at the end of the game which would appeal to players if they see them appear again in USUM. (+ You got to consider the Alola anime)

I'm not saying GF 100% will ignore the elements they'd put in SM but I personally find it hard (yet intriguing) to see GF portraying everything else in another light.

side note: looking at back what I just said, I COULD see GF rewriting the introduction of Alola to the player (or just minor-major changes to the plot). For example, I could totally see them just have the main storyline but add Colress and Necromza & boom ya got your USUM imo lmao

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    I completely agree with you, Colours. S/M did leave us on a lot of cliffhangers and possibilities for the future. Does Gladion inherit Aether? And if so, what does he do with it? What ever happened to that third Type: Null? What happens with Lillie and Lusamine? Does she become a great trainer in Kanto, and does Lusamine ever return to a normal life? Does Hau ever find his father, or become a Kahuna like his old man? Speaking of which, will Gyms replace Trials, or will they live side by side? What's gonna happen to the Totem Pokemon? Does Mina ever make her trial? What's up with Ryuki? And there definitely seems to be a lot about Ultra Wormholes and Ultra Beasts unsolved (seriously they just act like normal Pokemon once you catch them, okay?). Does Anabel stay in the International Police or ever recover her memories as a Salon Maiden? Same goes for Mohn, I find it really hillarious how you're secretly hanging out with Lillie's dad this whole time and they never know.

I could honestly go on forever, which is why this announcement confuses me, why not make Sequels? Sure SM could be improved, but I still think it's the second or third strongest opening pair of a generation, after Black/White and maaaaybe Gold/Silver. I just really wanted to see this great cast all grown up because they seem to have bright futures ahead of them. And if they are sequels, why dance around that fact? Why not say "hey this is the story after the events of SM", and honestly everything we've seen so far save for the implied new totem Pokemon, Necrozma forms and the new Z-Ring gimmick look the same as SM. Sun and Moon got new designs ala Emerald and Platinum did, and it's their same house just in a different colour scheme.

I wonder how they'll change the story, it'll be weird if it still ends off on the note of "Lillie and Lusamine go do stuff also you're the champ nice", but i also can't see them retconning that.

Honestly, I really hope Gladion plays a bigger role in this game, maybe he'll show up more, and slowly build up to the part in Aether where he agrees to fight with you, instead of completely hating you until that point. I also want Hau's development to be better. He says he wants to get stronger to protect Lillie, but he still fights you with 4 Pokemon. I was expecting 6 right after that moment. I want him to get pissed and upset with himself and get stronger, maybe even learn Mega Evolution.
    And although I'm really happy with how Guzma was handled in SM, I wouldn't mind seeing more of him, maybe seeing him around Lusamine more would be interesting too.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
    I completely agree with you, Colours. S/M did leave us on a lot of cliffhangers and possibilities for the future.

Out of all those things, you forgot to mention about who Kahili was and how she was simply shoehorned into the E4 without much backstory, and the point of the golf course. But then again though, X and Y gave us a lot of unsolved mysteries as well, and while some have been solved like the Strange Souvenir, a lot of them have still not been solved. Who was the ghost girl? What's behind the locked Power Plant doors? What's the point of the Chamber of Emptiness? What is the Lava Dome Pokemon underneath Lumiose City? Who is the person in the movie poster? What's with Sycamore's note in Couriway Station? What's with the bush shapes in Parfum Palace? I could go on though. Anyway, back to the topic.

I'd love to see some more exposure out of Ultra Space and the Ultra Beasts, to be honest. In the original games it was only barely touched on and it only served as an arena for the climactic battle. As for the Ultra Beasts, only Nihilego got actual plot involvement while the rest didn't really have any special shtick to them and were simply just thrown on the player in what was essentially a boss rush, and thus we don't know the actual reason why Lusamine resembles Pheromosa or why Guzma resembles Xurkitree. Also, they were advertised as a danger to Alola and if the player doesn't beat Lusamine in the first battle, Alola will end up being taken over by the beasts, yet the player can lose to Lusamine and move on with the plot; nothing will happen until after the game is beaten. In essence, they're just extraterrestrial Pokemon and probably wouldn't be heading there for the sake of destroying the region, because they don't know what to do in this unfamiliar land - it's like Ultra Space to them.

Maybe in these games we could have one of the flutes go missing from the start, and Lusamine or whoever the new bad guy is (it'll likely be Lusamine) be more competent and get hold of the Sun/Moon flute before the player does, using it to summon Solgaleo/Lunala before taking it into Ultra Space, thus preventing the player from getting to them and maybe forcing them to go awaken the other box legend to get to Ultra Space - not sure if it can be done without the flute. Speaking of which, I really want to see it as an actual dungeon on the lines of the Distortion World, where you can battle not just Nihilego, but all the others as well. This could anger Necrozma, who will end up fighting the player, and adding Necrozma in at this point would solidify its connection with the Ultra Beasts, because as of this point, nobody knows who or what it is.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
    sorry if someone already said this becuase i didnt have time to read all the posts, but here is my theory- (if u already siad it, again, my apologies)
    So firtly, we know grimsley was part of the Unova E4. Sorry to say, though, that the Elite 4 didnt really get any appearances. this limits the theorys that we can form. like all of u guyz i think that Unova characters will make comebacks and stuff, but what if colress did not create the fusions? what if he predicted that something like this would happen becuase of necrozma, and is simply here to research teh fusions, and maybe, MAYBE, help ur character? But on the other hand, he literally agreed that he would freeze an entire region by abusing a pokemon just the "see pokemon's potential unlock" or something like that. So what i'm trying to say is, that grimsley is here to spectate, and if possible, stop colress from doing anything retarded, or maybe him and colress are here to see that nothing stupid happens. anyone agree?

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    USUM don't seem like sequels. Sequels tend to have events after the first games events. This seems like a third version split into two or something new.

pkmin3033

I don't think the games HAVE to be sequels to share plot elements with Sun/Moon. A re-imagining/alternate story would imply, to me at least, that the games are possibly set alongside the original titles, in that painfully under-utilised Alternate World, or in that alternate dimension that never had Mega Evolution or anything...assuming that's separate from the Alternate World.

If that's the case, it would be entirely possible to expand upon SM's world without tying into the original games in any way other than sharing some of the same characters. And even if they're set after Sun/Moon, that doesn't necessarily imply they're sequels either. You can have multiple stories set in the same world without having them link to one another in any significant way, or with just cameos. It's not an uncommon thing to see in longer high fantasy novel series.

The idea that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon could be the A Certain Scientific Railgun to Sun/Moon's A Certain Magical Index is an interesting idea, though.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    We know more as the info comes. I do want to complete my gen 7 collection. Whether these are a split third version games or not doesn't matter to me.

Back