• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UU RMT - My first!

Ogun

greetings, three things, tree tings
Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    Hey there!

Thought I'd share the first team I've created for UU, after a few weeks of playing on Showdown. Looking for advice and suggestions on what changes I can make! So far I've had relatively good success with this team (10 wins, 1 loss) but I feel like it probably has some gaping flaws as this is the first time I've ever played Pokemon on Showdown.

Quick look

UU RMT - My first!
    UU RMT - My first!
    UU RMT - My first!
    UU RMT - My first!
    UU RMT - My first!
    UU RMT - My first!

In-depth
    Spoiler:

Changes
    Spoiler:

I suppose this would be considered a stall team, although I'm not too certain as I've only been playing for a few weeks. I've had a lot of fun with this team, with it's large amount of bulk and staying power, and it's ability to wear down most of the teams I have come across.

I'm hoping for some solid constructive criticism, opinions, basically anything to help me improve my team building skills! Please keep in mind that this team is built off two weeks (if that) playtime on Showdown and little knowledge of competitive play - try not to be too harsh :(

Looking forward to responses!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sky Drop is an unreliable attack because heavy targets (ones that weigh over 440.9 lbs/200 kg; look at the Pokedex for reference) are immune to it. Not to mention that it wouldn't really make much of a difference in singles. Aerial Ace is the better Flying STAB to turn to because of its higher PP:
    -Stone Edge
    -Aerial Ace/Aqua Tail
    -Defog/Taunt
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe
    Item: Aerodactylite

or
    -Stone Edge
    -Aerial Ace/Roost
    -Aqua Tail/Aerial Ace
    -Hone Claws/Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe
    Item: Aerodactylite

Milotic has a better way to spend that Protect moveslot: Toxic to cripple opposing walls (and you should remove Toxic on Forretress to make room for Volt Switch to give Aerodactyl a safe chance to switch into battle) or Dragon Tail/Haze.

There are better all-out Psychic attackers than Espeon, as its offensive movepool is relatively shallow. Alakazam has better coverage options, as well as Magic Guard to block passive damage:
    -Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast/Energy Ball/Calm Mind
    -Dazzling Gleam
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard

Ogun

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    Thanks for that! The Aerodactyl changes make a lot of sense, I'll implement those today! And I think I'll also swap Toxic for Volt Switch on Forretress, and think about removing the Protect from Milotic. Although, Alakazam has been moved to OU with the tier changes. Does this leave Espeon as the best choice? Or is there anything else that may fit?

Thank you for the feedback!

EDIT: Life Orb Azelf? With Nasty Plot?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks for that! The Aerodactyl changes make a lot of sense, I'll implement those today! And I think I'll also swap Toxic for Volt Switch on Forretress, and think about removing the Protect from Milotic. Although, Alakazam has been moved to OU with the tier changes. Does this leave Espeon as the best choice? Or is there anything else that may fit?

Thank you for the feedback!

EDIT: Life Orb Azelf? With Nasty Plot?
    Forgot that Alakazam was bumped to OU, so Azelf is the next-best alternative:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Psyshock
    -Fire Blast
    -Dazzling Gleam/Taunt
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Years
  • Blissey can become setup bait, or something could Taunt or force a Choice Item onto it. Maybe consider some Taunt support on your team.

Maybe swap Gyro Ball for Stealth Rock on Forretress. More entry hazards = more chaos. Again, this could turn it into setup fodder, though.

An alternative spread of 252 Sp.Def, 252 HP, 4 Def/Sp.Atk, with Milotic holding a Flame Orb to activate Marvel Scale, could turn it into a defensive BEHEMOTH. The burn damage won't even matter much with Recover.

Chesnaught does well with Bulk Up, with all EVs in HP and Sp.Def. Maybe replace Spiky Shield with Bulk Up, and Leech Seed with Rest, to regain any lost health while boosting. Chesto Berry could be a good idea if you do this.
    Seed Bomb could also replace Wood Hammer if you DO wanna try RestoChesto, for better longevity.

Finally, Scarfing your Espeon and Baton Passing Substitute and Nasty Plot to it will make it nigh unstoppable with Stored Power, and Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball for coverage. Lastly, Psyshock, just in case you can't get any boosts.
    Togekiss works well for this strategy.

Overall, you could do with something to Taunt the opposition, as many of your Pokèmon are kinda setup bait.

Feel free to try out any of this, or leave things as they are - if it's working, it's working.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You could try Jellicent over Milotic, whom also blocks spin and covers dumb crap like CroCune if you use Taunt and also other waters. Night Shade or Scald/Wisp or Toxic*/Recover/Taunt is a nice set. 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Speed is the set, Bold Nature, Water Absorb, Lefties.

*only use with Scald.

Stealth Rock on Forry > Spikes and move Spikes over to Chesnaught over either Seed or Wood Hammer. Spikes are a luxury, Stealth Rock is a NECESSITY for every serious competitive team.

Espeon/Azelf seem really random tbh. I dont understand how this team helps with their inevitable fate, which is to be Pursuit trapped by the omnipresent Krookodile on every team then you have wasted a slot. I feel this slot could be put to better use.

Also rofl at the flame orb Milotic, scarf stored power espeon etc suggestions.

Years
  • I feel like your team's gonna have trouble with defensive Pokémon like Goodra, Florges and/or Mega-Aggron, to name some. So, I feel like it might be wise to change Chesnaught into a fighting-type that's got a bigger offensive presence on the field. I propose Mienshao, Machamp or Infernape. The first is one of the best fighting-type Pokémon in UU, IMHO, but the second and the third are a bit less helpless on their own against fairies. Especially Infernape can prove quite interesting for your team, however, it comes with a water-weakness, which you already have. Machamp can be hell to switch into, seeing as Dynamic Punch is a) powerful as hell b) a sure-fire guarantee for confusion to a non-Ghost counter. A set like Machamp @ AV, Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, Knock Off and Bullet Punch can really put the hurt on the opponent, even moreso after you've brought it in via Volt Switch.

To follow up on such a change, and to take into regard what Dark Azelf has said before me, if you'd choose to drop Chesnaught it might be a wise idea to change Espeon/Azelf into something like Roserade. If you'd choose a set like Sleep Powder / Leech Seed / Leaf Storm / Sludge Bomb, or something like that, it can really hassle the opponent. It also functions as an absorber for Toxic Spikes which are used quite often, in my experience. It also helps you against Ground-types that roam the tier, like Donphan and the aforementioned Krookodile (although the latter can outspeed, mind you!) and the bulky waters that you can't break through otherwise. Sleep Powder in itself is also an emergency check for anything that you didn't foresee.

Then again, this might change the entire premise of your team (a 1/3 change is quite a lot). It might be worth it to consider it, though! ;-)

Ogun

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    Thanks a lot everyone! Lots of good suggestions here, made me realise that I need to think through my team's synergy rather than just throwing 6 together that looked good (may or may not have done this). As this was my first UU team (first team I've put together on my own at all, really) I wasn't too aware of some UU threats (Krookodile namely) but in the last few days I've noticed a few big weaknesses. Might try to rebuild this team from the bottom up, and incorporate some of the suggestions - will post back with results at some point! :D

Back