• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Version name change for America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
  • Knowing how up tight Nintendo of America's lawyers are I would assume that they would not let Black and White slide as acceptable names. Unlike Japan, we have a lot of black people here and lawsuits could come up from stupid people who don't understand what racism means.

I personally think they could come up with better names than Black, White and possibly Gray. I would love for the names to be changed, and they might here in America.

What do you think?

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Why should we change the name because a bunch of people think the name is offensive. The name suits it's title. No indians or asians complained at pokemon yellow, so america can get over it.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Why should we change the name because a bunch of people think the name is offensive. The name suits it's title. No indians or asians complained at pokemon yellow, so america can get over it.

I am not talking about the American public, I am talking about some of the most uptight lawyers ever.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Black and White are absolutely gorgeous names and if they change the names I will not buy the games. Seriously.

Whoever thinks that naming the games "Black" and "White" will be racist or is racist is an ignorant jackass. We refer to old-school television as black and white, so why the hell would naming games in that manner make any sort of difference?

Natester

Mostly a lurker
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Iowa
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I certainly hope they don't change the names of the games. It's just like when they changed the name Tin tower to Bell tower because of *cough*9/11*cough*. Hooray for censorship...NOT!

EDIT: I almost forgot about the European Union canning the slots in video games. European Union = butthurt.

X75flames

Free starters, PM me
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2014
    They made a black and white. Its not like they made white the thrid of this serese. I'm white, and will be getting black beacuse I think it will lokk really awesome on the title screen. Thats what I do with most pokemon games XD

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I think America as a whole is well beyond associating colors with anything racial. I don't see why it'd have to change if the African American public has yet to speak out about it. >_>

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • they protect a company from losing money from lawsuits right?
    That amongst other many various cases, yes. With that said though, they would have no power to say whether or not he game titles are racist to people or not. That final decision would be left upon the government and Nintendo would find a way around it. Such case happened with Game Corner and their slot machines.

Anyway, I doubt the American version of these games would be changed. The titles are perfectly fine, and in no way reflect upon racism. It's just a color like Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green. Only those who actually think of it that way, would complain about it - which sadly there are quite a handful of them. D: I don't think something as simple as a game title would have to be changed though. If it did, that would be kind of disappointing to see.

I mean the slot machines in the Game Corner was one thing, but this is another.

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but the people who aren't in the know with regards to Pokémon probably wouldn't see black/white versions of a game being much different than having the choice between a black or a white version of a T-shirt. Or maybe black and white should just never be available as choices for anything. =/

I dunno, I just can't see why there should be any issue...And I think any attempts to change the names to something more "PC" could end up butchering the games greatly. Not to mention I love the names as they already are...

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It's a shame that people even notion these ideas, to be blunt.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    if they did, which they wont (unless african americans, or those religious nutjob white americans start anything) itll proably be changed into stones of similar colour:
    such as zerconium for white & onyx for black
    and grey would be left alone, im sure americans can handle grey :P

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • I hope they dont change it, the title are awesome! Plus, if dudes think its offensive, it aint, and its their fault for thinking its offensive. XDDDDDDDDDD

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
  • I don't think its racist I just think the names black and white seem really boring even for pokemon games. It went from colors to metal to minerals and then jewels and now were going back to colors? I'd like to keep moving on maybe to light and darkness?

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years
  • No just No...
    Asians frikin made Yellow, and that was acceptable eh?
    Nothing wrong with Black and White, they aren't referring to Skin Color at all! They are two opposites, that's all. I don't think anyone would feel offended, and if they are then there's really no reason to be.. o.o

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Anyone who connects the game titles with race and then demands the names of the games to be changed really need to find something better to do with their time. You'd think after so many years that we as a society have grown from that closed mind thinking where every single color or thing done relating to colors had a double meaning behind them. Alexeon makes a good point, and reading it, I really don't think many people will make a huge commotion over it, though I'm sure idiots today will cause there to be some controversy over the names. Black and white are just two extremely expressive colors, in my opinion. This just goes back to something I think of when I think of white and black; the iPhone. It's personal choice. Not getting one color doesn't mean your racist towards that color, it just means aesthetically you prefer that specific color for that specific piece of merchandise. At least that's how I see it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back