• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Version name change for America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    At first, I said no. After reading this, the name "Pokemon Black Version" is a contraversy.<---Spelled Wrong? The name should stay, but I'm confused whether the name should change or not.
    Obsidian and Quartz would sound nice. Personally, I do think they'll change the names because as I said, "Black" and "White" is understandable by the Japanese and they don;t associate it with race whatsoever, however on this side where it's associated with race, they'll avoid conflict and change the name.
    I'm sorry, but there's already a rom hack called "Pokemon Quartz".

Years
  • At first, I said no. After reading this, the name "Pokemon Black Version" is a contraversy.<---Spelled Wrong? The name should stay, but I'm confused whether the name should change or not.

There was a fangame named "Pokemon Platinum", but that didn't stop Nintendo.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • At first, I said no. After reading this, the name "Pokemon Black Version" is a contraversy.<---Spelled Wrong? The name should stay, but I'm confused whether the name should change or not.

there is already a rom hack called black, and a rom hack called white.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I don't think they should change the name of the games, because, as stated in the posts above, they're not necessarily associated with racism.. Its just a game after all.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Anyone who assosiates the colours Black and White with anything to do with racism is, in fact, a little racist themselves for even allowing the thought to enter their heads. When I see the colour black, do I think of a person of African descent, no. Nor do I think of a Caucasian when I see the colour white. Quite frankly, people aren't white or black anyway, Caucasians are peach and Africans are brown, I have never met a white or black coloured person.

Even if they try to force Nintendo to change the names, it would get thrown out of court for being ridiculous as there will be no mention of race in the games to begin with.
    I agree here with Crystal-Heart.

If anybody is going to think of these games as racial because of the title, then they themselves are basically thinking with a close mind. The games itself do not revolve around racism, nor does Nintendo advertise one more than the other. So, for it to cause a controversy would be between those who still have in their mind that blacks are black people and whites are white people. It's just a color, and like Crystal-Heart said, I still have yet to see an actual true "black" and "white" person.

This is only a minor conflict, and with that, I see it slim to none that these titles will be changed when released in not only the USA but worldwide as well.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I doubt it would, people don't find that racist and even so the lawsuits would fail becaus it really isnt racist.

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • If they do release it as Black and White in Japan, they'll do so in American as well, or at least Something Black and Something White ("Obsidian Black" or w/e, but it will include the words Black and White). No-one is going to start any public arguments about it, because we already have so many products with names like Black and White, that no-one complains about. There's the "Black and White" milkshake, there's "black and white" photos and movies, and of course a video game called Black and White by EA. Actually, because of that latter, they may in fact opt for the Something Black and Something White idea I mentioned, because historically they've shied from giving pokemon titles existing names. In fact, they renamed the Japanese Team Galaxy to Team Galactic in the English release because of an existing anime called Team Galaxy (source: Bulbapedia)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

There was a GSC hack called Diamond, too, but that's not the point, is it? If you're going to say ROM Hack names can't be used, there aren't any names that can that don't sound stupid. Just about every "normal" colour has been taken, as well as all gemstones and metals. =|

OT: I find it silly that the idea could even enter one's head that the names Black and White have racial connotations. Although the names Black and White are (in my opinion) a little bland compared to what we've been getting for the past few years, they aren't bad names.

.light

Airplanes in the night sky...
    Years
  • Seriously? I reckon nintendo are the racist one becuase they don't add black pkmn trainers, hardly even brown.... and I dought the name will get picked up because it's pokemon...

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    And while we're at it, those uptight lawyers will be filing for legal change of the colours black and white, because they're offensive :pink_no:

Doubt they'll change the names so long as the boxart doesn't change and we have black-coloured and white-coloured boxart for the two versions.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • You remember Megaman Battle Network 3? the versions were originally called Black and White, but due to racial paranoia, was changed to Blue and White, two names that are very incompatible with each other as a pair........

Actually, it was paranoia that caused HG/SS to be so heavily censored, first, we have the Tin Tower, renamed to Bell Tower because of 9/11 conspiracies, enen though the Ecruteak Towers had NOTHING to do with terrorism, the towers were based off of the Kyoto temples in ancient Japanese History, then we had entire lines of dialouge changed from BOTH the Japanese HG/SS AND the original G/S/C, the prime examples being anything on the Game Corner, Professor Elms quest involving Mr. Pokemon, and most critically, an NPC in Celadon, who originally said (in G/S/C and Japanese HG/SS) "Hehehe, this gym is great, it's full of women" it was changed to "Hehehe, this gym is great, it's full of STRONG TRAINERS" because NOA thought he was the pervy toad sage (why must Narutards ruin EVERYTHING!?), Finnaly, we have Voltorb Flip, which was born from paranoia of gambling, Jack Thompson, and the European morons who bombarded the Veilstone Game Corner in Platinum, it's not even realistic gambling, it's a freaking minigame and you have a fit over it, not to mention that you are not using your in game money, YOU ARE USING GAME CORNER COINS, which are like the tokens at Chuck E' Cheese, but does the ESRB care, NO, they just kill all the NPCs in the Game corner, and replace them with three old geezers (Jack Thompson, a.k.a. "Mr. Game" and two of his senior citizen cronies) in a suprisingly EUROPEAN STYLED ROOM, so it IS Europes fault that the slots are gone, just like they did in Veilstone. It is highly likely that Black and White will have slots in their game corner, which will 99.99% chance be converted into Voltorb Flip in America, the EXACT SAME from HG/SS with the same NPCs and dialouge, though since B/W have not been released in Japan yet, it is possible that there will be no Slots in Japan, but instead an Arcade filled with Pokemon-ified versions of arcade classics such as Tetris, Donkey Kong, and Galaga/Space Invaders/generic-arcade-space-shooters, we won't know until the games come out (I'm sure game freak is aware of what NOA did to the Game corner in HG/SS and are trying to make it up in B/W)

On the version names, I am sure they will stay the same, since there already is a Blue Version of Pokemon and the version names are always related to the color of the legendary mascots of the individual games (unless NOA pulls a Jynx on us and changes the color of the still unrevealed Black Version mascot)

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    No, the names will not be changed, and if you ask me the only ones with even a thought of it seem to be online pokemon fans. Nintendo of America wouldn't, or shouldn't, be that stupid to even bring it up, and I don't see anyone in America taking offense over it considering it's just a POKEMON game.

I am black, and take no offense, and I'm positive most others won't. If the names are changed though I will still get the games. I mean a name is just a name it should have nothing to do with gameplay. At first I thought the names were retarded though, now I love them.

I guess I should mention as well that black and white aren't colors, they are just mear shades.

Sure, because Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow offended Native Americans and Asians right? When they change version names because of colors vaguely correlated with race, that's when I'll know that America has officially become a 3rd world country.

That would have nothing to do with being 3rd world. I'd say we live in a protectionist society but 3rd world countries usually don't have this sort of argument. They have far worse problems to attend to. and please don't compare this to red and yellow versions. Native Americans of course aren't red, many are of a color that some blacks are or lighter. Asians aren't yellow either. East Asians (Japanese..as in land where pkmn originated) are usually paler while SE/South Asians are more of a brown shade. Even seen some Indians that were darker than blacks that I know.

The box art will tell us a lot of how the games will be received. Though that may sound stupid a pokemon game is obviously judged on its cover art before it is even released. Depending on what black and white's cover art is may shape how people think of these games..if you get what I mean.

Last edited:

ILoveDragonite

~~Do the wave~~
    Years
  • Knowing how up tight Nintendo of America's lawyers are I would assume that they would not let Black and White slide as acceptable names. Unlike Japan, we have a lot of black people here and lawsuits could come up from stupid people who don't understand what racism means.

I personally think they could come up with better names than Black, White and possibly Gray. I would love for the names to be changed, and they might here in America.

What do you think?
    The names aren't offensive at all. Black and white are just two tones. This is the most nonsensical thing i have ever read. Do people actually take race this seriously? It's not called pokemon african american and pokemon crackers, is it?

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • I don't think they're offensive, and it seems as though they're keeping the names Black and White, judging by what they're saying on the official website. I'm going to hear crying about it from other people, but I'm kind of glad they're releasing it as such, unless they change it at the last second.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Me too... and besides, racial issues are not all the rage anymore. It's Gay Rights, so maybe we should not expect Rainbow to be the third installment anymore should we? :/

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Hey! It's been decided that the names in Pokemon Black and White may not be changed, because on the front page in Pokemon.com, there was Pokemon Black and White with unchanged names, so there will be a Pokemon Black and White. No change in the name!

Penutz

Breeder & Collector
    Years
  • If anyone is going to get a name change its going to be australia. We dont have R rated games (18+). The game "bully" on ps2, got changed to "Canis cadem edit". Left for dead 2 had no gore. and everytime an indian gets murdered or attacked, everyone yells racist.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back