• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Victini, Zekrom and Reshiram Discussion Thread

Who's more epic?

• Zekrom

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Reshiram

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • can't decide

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Victini

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lexxy

sup brah?
Years
  • I really like the White one, which is good since I wanted to get Pokemon White anyway.

I feel like..they look a lot like Digimon though..is it just me?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    You know, I could see them going with black hole/white hole for the whole big plot thing. Zek's tail kinda looks like a vortex, while Reshi's tail looks more like it's, uh, blowing something out (Did I just say that?). But you can see what I mean, right?

You know what else Zekron reminds me of? The Giant of Babil from FFIV DS.

So, a chocolate-covered Palkia/Groudon/Slowbro/Babil.

EDIT: that's a chocolate-covered Palkia/Groudon/Slowbro/Babil that will pierce the heavens. Thanks, Dominus. ;)

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Oh my. Just... oh my.

It's possible that they could introduce the Light-type, of course, but you have to remember that the Dark and Steel-types weren't introduced in Gen II as a means of expanding the game, they were created to counteract the way overpowered Psyhic-type in Gen I.
    I'm thinking that based on Reshiram, the introduction of the light type is a very serious possibility.

I agree that Light as a type suddenly seems a greater possibility. I've always believed that if they were to add a new type, Light would be first (followed by Sound, though that's another story). I never thought they really actually might make new types, though...

I'm pleased that they're switching up the mascot-by-color thing, too. I wonder if there's a plot reason- not everything is always black or white? Sometimes there's... shades of grey? Hmm...

I'm still getting Black first, but I certainly hope they'll both be available in the game at some point. I'd rather not wait for the third version to get both of them. Also, I'm wondering what they'll represent? Light and dark? Good and evil? Life and death? I'm kind of leaning toward the last one there, Zekrom just sounds a bit like a death-ish kind of name to me. I'm pleased with these guys regardless.

And my first thought wasn't jet turbine tail... I saw Zekrom and thought "GIGA DRILL BREAKER!"

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    What the f------------------?

Oh well, now it definitely seems racist. Why does the 'White' version get the badass Pokemon? XD

Regardless, here is a conversation that I recorded.

Guy 1: So yeah, Pokemon is lyk so gay, right?
    Me: You really should check out the legendaries of the new Generation.
    Guy 2: MEWTWO is so BADASS, that he will beat anything ever made, by Nintendo, Game Freak, or that guy who coined "nine-thousand."
    Me: *shows them legendaries*
    Both: O.O

But Reshiram is awesome too! u forget white version may have Zekrom (awesome) but Zekrom is completely black..so that's a counter to your 'racist' :D

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021

But what type would counter light? Dark? Couldn't psychic sort of be considered light type already?

But Light would also be Super Effective on Dark, a Yin Yang effect if you will. Anyway I have a theory, and it somewhat involves there being a Light-Type... Reshiram is white, and looks more angelic and pure and ancient whilst Zekrom looks more Modernized, sinister and almost constructed. Could it be based on what is pure (Light-Type) and what is destroying our world, modernization and industrialization (Dark-Type). I don't know, I'm starting to have a clearer picture of what I expect it to be like.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • Wow, this is really something. Take how much disappointment I had with the starters, then that's how much I approve of these. 8.5/10 :)

P.S. Please don't make this another annoying "Let's add moar typez!" thread...

RedBaron474

I don't even know
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    You can't really define it. The new legendaries just don't have the same feel as did the originals and a few gens after that. I just can't see a Zubat (for example) and something like Zekrom or Reshiram in the same game.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    But Light would also be Super Effective on Dark, a Yin Yang effect if you will. Anyway I have a theory, and it somewhat involves there being a Light-Type... Reshiram is white, and looks more angelic and pure and ancient whilst Zekrom looks more Modernized, sinister and almost constructed. Could it be based on what is pure (Light-Type) and what is destroying our world, modernization and industrialization (Dark-Type). I don't know, I'm starting to have a clearer picture of what I expect it to be like.

My good sir, are you suggesting that James Cameron had some influence in these games? o.O?

I like the idea, it could go well with the story. What is ancient vs. what is modernized. Hmm, with this thought maybe the new team could actually be good for once? Say it appears as if they are bad at first but really they're just trying to balance yin and yang again after human advancement has misplaced and damaged what was old...Though if Zekrom stood for modernization and in the story we were fighting to stop modernization from destroying the balance of Isshu's eco-system then would that make Zekrom....the bad guy?

Wow, this is really something. Take how much disappointment I had with the starters, then that's how much I approve of these. 8.5/10 :)

P.S. Please don't make this another annoying "Let's add moar typez!" thread...

lol...too late :D you should look back a few pages

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today

But what type would counter light? Dark? Couldn't psychic sort of be considered light type already?
    That's what others have said before whenever a Light-type was considered. The Dark-type already beats the Psychic-type.

As for the Legendaries themselves, I'm already liking Zekrom. The instant I saw it, my decision to buy the White version first was sealed. It looks like an amazing Pokemon. Right now, I don't care what type it is (though Dark/Dragon gets a "yes please!" from me). It just looks great.

Reshiram will take some time for me to get used to, but the design isn't too horrible. (Except for one part that I could point out. Harhar.) It fits as Zekrom's counterpart in looks, and soon we'll learn in what other ways the two are connected, and what part they have in the story. Plus what the story is about.

And I like the fact even more that the Legendaries don't even match the games they're the mascots for. It sets them apart from what came before in another way.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    What defines what Pokémon have to look like, may I ask?
    I agree. They're drawn by Ken Sugimori, in his own style, for the Pokemon series. They're Pokemon, there's really nothing else to it.

(why do people complain about Digimon so? Is the fandom still jealous it had the better anime...?)

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021

My good sir, are you suggesting that James Cameron had some influence in these games? o.O?

I like the idea, it could go well with the story. What is ancient vs. what is modernized. Hmm, with this thought maybe the new team could actually be good for once? Say it appears as if they are bad at first but really they're just trying to balance yin and yang again after human advancement has misplaced and damaged what was old...Though if Zekrom stood for modernization and in the story we were fighting to stop modernization from destroying the balance of Isshu's eco-system then would that make Zekrom....the bad guy?

Haha, seriously, I never even thought about Avatar but most media draw parallels to others... but yes, the teams don't necessarily have to be evil in this case, just fighting for what they believe is a better way to live.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • I was already going to get Pokemon Black and after seeing this I'm glad I chose it! These two beasts look awesome! I may just have to get white as well :O

RedBaron474

I don't even know
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    I agree. They're drawn by Ken Sugimori, in his own style, for the Pokemon series. They're Pokemon, there's really nothing else to it.

(why do people complain about Digimon so? Is the fandom still jealous it had the better anime...?)

They may be drawn by Ken Sugimori but that does not mean that his style may change over years, over generations of games.

Oh, and why do people complain about digimon? I'm really not complaining about digimon. I just don't enjoy seeing digimon-like creatures (in my opinion of course) in a pokemon game. Do you understand?

KejiBebi

aishiteru
    Years
  • Oh thats too awesome! :D
    I love the white one, its absolutely gorgeous!
    I'll definitely be buying that one when they are released.
    I can't believe they are making new games, I haven't heard of this at all.
    I can't wait for it! So exciting!

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    That's what others have said before whenever a Light-type was considered. The Dark-type already beats the Psychic-type.

As for the Legendaries themselves, I'm already liking Zekrom. The instant I saw it, my decision to buy the White version first was sealed. It looks like an amazing Pokemon. Right now, I don't care what type it is (though Dark/Dragon gets a "yes please!" from me). It just looks great.

Reshiram will take some time for me to get used to, but the design isn't too horrible. (Except for one part that I could point out. Harhar.) It fits as Zekrom's counterpart in looks, and soon we'll learn in what other ways the two are connected, and what part they have in the story. Plus what the story is about.

And I like the fact even more that the Legendaries don't even match the games they're the mascots for. It sets them apart from what came before in another way.

I agree, because at first I thought Zekrom was on black (and I had planned to get black before the legendaries were revealed) but then once I found out I'd be getting Reshiram I was.......O_O O_O.....but now I love Reshiram just as much if not more. The switches on them is a break-away from usual, and I have a feeling that this will further strengthen us having a ying-yang story going on.

I would love a light-type, and was just wondering who'd defeat it. Another poster (Haza..I think) said that light could be dark and dark could beat light. I figured that would work or it could be like a quardruple circle going on: ghost-psychic-light-dark

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Haha, when I first saw Groudon and Kyogre I thought they were more suitable for Digimon than Pokemon, and the same with Dialga and Palkia. I'm quite use to it now.

Years
  • My good sir, are you suggesting that James Cameron had some influence in these games? o.O?

The technology vs. tradition idea has been around since the Industrial Revolution so I wouldn't credit Mr. Cameron with anything here if it turns out to be a theme in these games, which I'm more hopeful of now that we've seen that one of our legendaries does look a bit futuristic.

Back