• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Game Violence Debate

Years
    Hello all! For school, I have always focused on the Violent Video Games causes violence among teens and young adults, and once again, I have the opportunity to make a presentation on this subject. Out of curiosity, I wonder what all of you think on this matter. Annnnnnnnnnnd go! ^^

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    Just because you play a video game on a certain subject matter doesn't mean you're going to act upon it.

However, I do think it makes you less affected by such things. If you grow up playing video games with lots of death, then the concept of death is going to come across more easily. For example, there's so many television shows and movies with killings in them nowadays, children actually laugh when someone dies in them. It makes us numb in a way.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    https://vgvn.net/pages/games_violence/

Games don't cause violence. If anything, they avert it, they act as an outlet. A recent study actually suggested that it's not the violence in games that makes us feel violent, it's the challenge. WELL NO CRAP, anyone who's ever played one could tell you that.

I really don't get how this is even still a debate. There is a huge body of evidence that suggests real life violence and video games are not at all correlated. And yet ignorant people continue to prattle on about stuff they haven't researched at all. Ugh. It kills me.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    Even in studies that do show correlation between gaming and violent behavior, correlation does not equate to causation or even relation. Games by themselves do not cause violence any more than guns kill people. Violent people cause violence, and people have been killing each other for longer than the existence of video games and guns combined.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    I think we just get used to violence and gore. Example: 1st time watch the walking dead, and you get grossed out watching them. A few episodes later, and your laughing and cheering on the characters as they slice open zombies. Same with violence, you just get used to it. Just because I'm shooting something in a video game, doesn't mean I'll do it in real life. In pokemon, we battle other trainers pokemon. That doesn't mean I'll be doing this:

Unleash me 7 pound puppy on thou neighbors cat!!!

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Considering how violent games can be (as well as how violent television, books and even radio shows can be) it's more of an induced fear than anything. Actually, I was playing Saints Row a couple of days ago and it made me less inclined to be in a gang because it comes off as dangerous, and that game exaggerates up the wazoo.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    I actually was considering doing this very thing with a new thread. While technically there has been no proof of causation, there are lots of people out there who will tell you otherwise. Those are people we call liars, there has yet to be a study that shows causation between video games and violence. There is a huge difference between correlation and causation, and I think people need to focus on the benefits from video games. Like stress relief, better imagination hand-eye coordination, etc. Human beings are violent by nature, they've been killing each other for as long as they've existed. It has nothing to do with video games.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
    In my opinion, violent games are just that. They are video games meant to be fun and enjoyable. There is no harm in playing them. Only an idiot would act upon it.

Years
    Isn't there a quote going around that likens blaming video games to violence with blaming spoons for making people fat? I'm pretty sure I read it or saw a meme or something. But yeah pretty much summed my opinion up.

Years
    It makes me think of the one sidequest in Fable 3, where you seduce the husband just to confirm the wife's fears that he is a cheater (or something around those lines). Later, he found out of my deceit and gave the player the ultimatum of I will kill you and the wife, OR run away with him but you as the player kills the wife...Naturally, my protective instincts kicked in, and I killed him instead. It freaked me out so bad that I turned off the xbox and watched a disney movie right after.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    ban dark souls 2 it's too hard and makes me hurt people

In seriousness, is there a legitimate debate about this going on? I wasn't aware there were people who could actually put forward a coherent argument for video game violence being a key factor in actual acts of violence. 8D

Would love to see a coherent devil's advocate argument if anyone fancies it.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Dark Souls 2 too hard...?
    Hello, Dark Souls 1 anyone?

Would agree that DS1 is more difficult tbh. DS2 is a cakewalk YOU CAN GET TO SL200 SO COMFORTABLY and by then you're well equipped to blitz through things as long as you've got your gear up to scratch too. NG+ on DS2 has been pretty fun so far though to be fair. 8D Being able to use 20 Estus +7 and having high vit makes DS1 easy though.

ANYWAY UH YEP DEFINITELY NOT FEELING VIOLENT DUE TO EITHER OF THEM.

Sir Codin

All the proof you need to know that violent video games doesn't desensitize people to violence can be found on an episode of Penn & Teller that examined this very issue.

To drive the point home, they got an actual kid who plays violent video games and gave him a rifle to fire (at targets, of course). After a few shots, the kid said that was enough and was actually crying afterwards.

Another case and point...me. I've played violent video games like Doom and Quake since I was 4, but never touched a real gun in my life until a couple of months ago when my dad took me to a gun shop. My hands were shaking and I was nervous just holding onto one; even though I knew it was unloaded I still felt uncomfortable holding an actual one in my hands. My arms will still shaking for hours afterwards.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Do video games cause people to be more violent than they already are? Probably not.

However, media (games, TV, films, some music) does tend to glorify violence, normally under the guise of 'he's a good guy' and make it look pretty damn easy. Now, that's not to say it'll make your typical person want to give it a try - but those who are unstable may well be affected. Again, this is true of all forms of media.

Is violent media a problem? Most of the time, no. However, I believe there should be some form of responsibility to keep it in check: making sure violent programs are past the watershed, enforcing cinema ratings, selling video games to people (a) of age and (b) disclosing why it is rated.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
    Violent video games does have some affect on you but really it's us who promote violence. Now days in the news all they show are psychopaths killing off people or an innocent girl getting raped. Are they encouraged to do this by video games? I think not people. We cause this society to be like this so now that everything's screwed experts point to whatever as long as it makes them look good. Blaming violent video games is just another excuse humans say to prove that they are not the fault. Sure violence is frequent but those are choices you make, not your common violent video games. Plus, why blame crime on something that can't even defend itself? For gods sakes, we are living, not our cool and favorite games.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I think it's odd we see the idea of becoming less sensitive to violence is automatically bad. Now, all honest studies about the subjects find that video games don't do this, But I'll talk about it anyway. I'd much rather my family be able to defend their lives from someone who threatened them by killing the person than have them die because they had a batman-like fear of killing. I wouldn't want them to be able to bring themselves to kill innocent people, but honestly, being desensitized to violence wouldn't generally cause that. It's like claiming that being a doctor and seeing someone die is going to turn you into a crazed killer. Sure, you may not be as affected by seeing death later, but that doesn't make you want to cause it.

Back