• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
And I bet everyone's whose posted about their gaming moments will copy paste it XD. I take back what I said about bravely default I'm gonna buy it after I buy a PSP :D though microtrnasactions for a 60 dollar game is a bit questionable.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
$60? It's a 40 dollar game. Though maybe with MTs it could be 60 (and I'm pretty sure it definitely is with its collector's edition), but I'll probably just wait. Inazuma Eleven's supposedly coming out Q1 and Final Fantasy LR definitely is, so Q1's covered this year. Plus there are a slew of other games that have gone unplayed and are coming out this year, so I'll just wait until it's cheaper

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Q1 in Europe unfortunately is boooring. Inazuma came out months ago, and I'm waiting for my 2DS to be bought along with Bravely Default, which came out last month.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
It might be 40 here you live but its 60 onthe eshop in Australia but I don't mind paying that much for a game its become the norm. How much better is fire emblem awakning compared to shadow dragon, graphically.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Shadow Dragon has sprites, Awakening has amazing 3D models, and amazing cutscenes. I think that says enough.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Graphically? Well, the 2D Overworld sprites are higher resolution and more detailed, plus the battle scenes are in 3D (As in models rather than sprites). It's hard to compare the Portrait sprites since they're different art styles...which really defines the difference between the two as a whole. It's hard to compare them in that sense because they're so different, and it's really a matter of whether you prefer the sharp and detailed modern anime-esque aesthetic of Awakening or the sharp and detailed Mid-/Western European aesthetic of Shadow Dragon. It's not really a matter of better or worse, but a matter of preference (which, in the grand scheme of things, defines the entire franchise).

Also, the moment you said "Australia" I understood.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The prices down under are truly astounding. Of course here in Greece its similar though, 50 per game, and the mark up on the 3DS is amazing. 140 for a 2DS, and only thanks to Christmas did the XY bundle go to 145.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Yeah I'm used to having to pay for things at really high prices its just something I have to live with. Okay thanks for the info on awakening I like the 3D models for battles it sounds good.

TY

Here its usually 45-50 euro's per new game in the Netherlands (3DS & PC)

Then theres PS3 and Xbox (65-70 euro's, which is ridiculous)

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Shadow Dragon has sprites, Awakening has amazing 3D models, and amazing cutscenes. I think that says enough.
Shadow Dragon has an ugly art style so it looks worse but from your wording it seems like you're suggesting Awakening looks better than the GBA/SNES Fire Emblem games. >:(

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Yes I am. I preferred the 3D models, and the solid artwork only helped improve the game.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
On the subject of fire emblem ish stuff, will they be making an advance wars for the 3DS? I would love to see it in 3d and what ever they decide to do.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Yes I am. I preferred the 3D models, and the solid artwork only helped improve the game.
BULL
On the subject of fire emblem ish stuff, will they be making an advance wars for the 3DS? I would love to see it in 3d and what ever they decide to do.
Oh my god yes.

But only if they go back to the old art style
advance_wars_1.jpg

olaf.png
grit.png
eagle.png

drake.png
sonja.png
kanbei.png

I don't care if they just come up with new characters (as much as I'll miss the AW1 cast), just bring back the HAPPY WARS setting.

who am i kidding they can make it a dating sim + strategy game with an otaku bait artstyle and i'll still buy it and love it

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Yes, Advance Wars. I'd totally consider a 2DS just for it. I liked the old art soooo much! Plus Andy ftw! If they make an even bigger campaign plus new characters, it'd be god perfect!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Bull? Yeah okay, character design is miles better then what the series has offered, the CGI cutscenes were miles ahead of what Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn had, and I honestly feel that the sprites were holding things back. I personally am not one to argue graphic capability over gameplay, but its one change I'm very happy happened.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Bull? Yeah okay, character design is miles better then what the series has offered, the CGI cutscenes were miles ahead of what Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn had, and I honestly feel that the sprites were holding things back. I personally am not one to argue graphic capability over gameplay, but its one change I'm very happy happened.
Relax, I'm joking. I'm not gonna judge you for liking Awakening's art style.

I'm not a fan of the art style and the character designs at all though. The models bug me too, particularly their lack of feet.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Ah gotcha. Makes sense, different strokes and all. It probably has to do with the fact that I also got into the series a lot more with Awakening then with previous entries.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I played part of...Dual Strike, was it? But then I immediately went to the darker one. Not because it's so much more difficult (and dear Christ was it, never got too far into DS so I can't say for sure, though), but I liked the anime style mixed with a Western aesthetic, creating a wider appeal than "just anime" or "just cartoony" would, and I think that was a smart idea.

I'll probably play the others eventually, but I certainly like what they did with that one. I pretty much avoided DS because I assumed it was going to have simple characters, a simple story, and just gameplay to hold it up, as was evidenced by the dialogue. Maybe it wasn't that, and it's been a while since I played DS so I can't say for sure (It could've easily been a misconception, this was years ago and it was when I had a crapton of roms on my cart at the time, so it's likely), but I dug the feel of Days of Ruin. Other than the aesthetic, I thought it handled the shift to a darker setting nicely. It was gritty, but not gratuitously so. Everyone wasn't mad all the time and always talking about how bad things were, and people smiled. And the story had a mystery to it. It was so open that you could never really know where it was going to go next, and that was really what drove me to beat each level in that horribly...horribly...HORRIBLY punishing game. Haven't beaten it solely for that reason. It hurts.

...Though I don't think that they should dwell in the darker setting. It wouldn't work well a second time, and it could EASILY fall into the realms of the generic really quickly, and that kind of takes away any part of what makes Days of Ruin unique and...well...good. They can hark back to the days of Famicom Wars or create a new universe for all I care, just don't milk it for what it was, 'cause it'll spoil real quick.

I'll revisit DS and the GBA ones, of course. It's not like I don't like the games, after all; I've barely played them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Dual Strikes is to Advance Wars what Awakening is to Fire Emblem...kinda. Sometimes I feel the opposite. Either way Dual Strikes is a broken mess of a game that has so much gimmicks and even RPG mixed in, but it has SO many content and I've seen so many people get addicted to it.

I actually haven't played DS yet since I'm in the middle of AW2 but I read about the COs (holy ****ing crap IS what were you thinking with these new COs and Dual Strikes and of all the broken COs in AW2 you had to nerf my two favorites, Sami and Kanbei. :( ) and I also watched videos and read impressions so I have a general idea.
Thing about AW is that COs are very, very unbalanced. Characters that don't have a real weakness but no real strength either (Andy or Olaf) are kinda crap unfortunately. It's all about who has the bigger strength to weakness ratio, so COs like Grit and Sami dominate. It's really weird too. You have Colin, who gets more money than other COs but his units are weaker, and then you have Kanbei who has stronger units than others but they're very very costly. Guess which one of them is broken? Yeah, both. It's because their gains are much more beneficial than their shortcomings being an actual hindrance, so it goes back to the whole strength to weakness ratio.

I haven't played DoR but I really wanna give it a try eventually. It brings back the simple gameplay of AW1 which is my favorite. AW2 and especially DS introduced way too many gimmicks and units that it doesn't feel as balanced per se, although they're still great in their own right. (AW2 campaign > AW1 campaign, just saying. Feels nice having so many COs to use on the campaign) My only gripe is, obviously, the art stye and I'm not digging the character design to be honest. I'll easily let that aside if the gameplay is worth it, and who knows, I might get attached to said art style and characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back