• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VOCALOID Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagumi

For a sick boy
Years
  • inb4 no replies ;_; With THE VOC@LOID M@STER20 coming up very soon in Japan, I thought it would be a good time to start off a VOCALOID discussion thread. For those of you wondering what a VOCALOID is, the Wikipedia page can probably explain better than I can. It's basically a singing synthesizer; or you could say it's an instrument. If you're interested in how the software looks like and how it works, then here's a part of a video demonstrating how it works. The video and software are quite old, and the newer VOCALOID software looks much more professional and updated, but it still works the same. There's lots of different voice banks you can buy ranging from male vocals to female vocals and from Japanese vocals to English vocals. In the VOCALOID community, someone who produces VOCALOID music is referred to as a "producer". You can find more information about what producers are and how they get their names (for example, 40mP, Aether_Eru, ジミーサムP, etc.) here. Many producers release self-published CDs of their VOCALOID music at doujin (think Japanese indie) events, such as THE VOC@LOID M@STER or Comiket.

So to get some discussion going, here's a few questions:
    • When and how did you discover VOCALOID?
    • Who is your favourite VOCALOID?
    • Who are some of your favourite producers and why?
    • What albums are you looking forward to from THE VOC@LOID M@STER20?

When and how did you discover VOCALOID?
    I think I discovered it in 2008 and one of my friends here (I had another account back here in 2008) had supercell's "World Is Mine" as their profile video. I listened to it and I enjoyed it a lot. From then, I searched throughout YouTube looking up more VOCALOID music. Eventually I began to learn about producers, the different voice banks, and whatnot.

Who is your favourite VOCALOID?
    Miku Hatsune. I enjoy her voice a lot, although I can understand it when people dislike her as her voice is quite high-pitched. Nevertheless I still like her and I also like her character design.

Who are some of your favourite producers and why?
    My number one favourite producer would have to be 8#Prince/八王子P. I enjoy his music a lot because it's addictive, he tunes his VOCALOIDs well, and overall he has pretty good production quality. I also like kz (livetune) for pretty much the same reasons, though I think he has slightly better production quality. Other notable mentions go to DECO*27, U-ske, Clean Tears, Aether_Eru...

What albums are you looking forward to from THE VOC@LOID M@STER20?
    • [Plug::8] electric love collection
    • [emonloid] emonloid4
    • [P∴Rhythmatiq] Symphonia
    • [40メートル走] 幸福指数
    • [SUKIMONO] NightGroove
    • [kous to 初心者F] 残らずの森 and 7th
    • [CueB] Avalanche

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    huh, no responses. Nyeh, i'll go ahead and answers

I discovered Miku about the time she came out, through Watashi no Jikan/My Time. Most of that was coincidence of joining Nico Nico Douga around the same time. Vocaloid of choice is Miku and IA. As far as composers go, I've followed ryo/supercell for quite a bit, even though he's moved to actual singers now. I've also listened to a bit of kz, tokuP, cosMo, HSP, doriko, Dixie Flatline, and deco*27.

Can't really say I'm really looking at anything from Vocamaster 20. Usually I'll hear them on Nico and if I like it, I'll grab the album if there's a corresponding store link under the video.
    ^ I take this back a bit, Key Sounds Label is releasing a vocaloid cd soon, so if this is at this, that'd what i'd be interested in.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I discovered Luka through a few songs posted on another forum I was visiting at the time, instantly fell in love with the sample songs I found then started to listen to Miku a bit as well. Megurine Luka is still my personal favorite though due to being fast paced, vicious, and too enticing to pass up for my ears to enjoy. I believe some of the songs I first discovered from her were titled Angel Bullet and Psychopath on Youtube.

As for CDs though I never considered buying any atm in all honesty, money's been tight.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
  • I ended up discovering VOCALOID through "World Is Mine" and "IMITATION BLACK", and generally just spread to listening to all of them, plus cover singers.

My favorite VOCALOID is probably Gumi, with IA and Miku in second and the Kagamine twins right behind them. Megurine Luka comes in close, too.

I'm gonna have to say 40mP and DECO*27 are my definite favorites, but I love pretty much anything ORYO, samfree and Seven Color Light/natsuP compose.

Considering my last sentence on my favorite composers, I'm hoping I can get 40mP's 幸福指数 soon enough.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • I found VOCALOID through Love is War and melt. original, no? XD I think I was in middle school, which means...2007-08 or so? Idk, can't really remember.

My favorites are the Kagamine twins Len moreso than Rin and Miki. And Gumi. Oh and Yukari.

Wowaka and DECO*27 are my absolute favorites. I think Deco's moved on to real people now though. His compositions are still top-notch XD especially ESPECIALLY Egomama go look it up NOW

As for CDs...hmm. I got wowaka's Unhappy Refrain and Deco's Aimai Elegy off iTunes not too long ago. I don't think either one of them has released anything recently :/

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • yay replies

Xulek said:
    I believe some of the songs I first discovered from her were titled Angel Bullet and Psychopath on Youtube.

If I remember correctly, I believe Psychopath was produced by ゆよゆっぺ/Yuyoyuppe. If you liked that then the chances are you'll enjoy most of his other songs. I like Yuyoyuppe a lot, he's pretty much the only heavy metal artist I listen to. The only bad thing is that I think he tends to tune his VOCALOIDs a bit too high-pitched for my liking but aside from that, he's good. I especially enjoyed his self-sung album, Wall in the presence and his latest Touhou Project re-arrange album, Ghost and your heart (although admittedly none of them feature any VOCALOIDs).

Not sure if you've heard of them before, but if you like Yuyoyuppe then you might like 無力P/MuryokuP's songs. I finally got around listening to his three albums last night and they were all quite good. Their latest album had more electronic influences in it I think, but their albums consist of some heavy metal, rock, and piano. He/she also uses Luka a lot.

Sakura Rain said:
    As for CDs...hmm. I got wowaka's Unhappy Refrain and Deco's Aimai Elegy off iTunes not too long ago. I don't think either one of them has released anything recently :/

I don't think wowaka's released anything new lately, but I think DECO*27 recently released his new Miku single, Yume Yume.

So did anyone catch the VOCALOID performance at the Nico Nico Super Party? To be honest, I had no idea about this until 8#Prince was mentioning something about it on his Twitter (or at least I think he was, Google Translate doesn't give the best results). I think you had to buy tickets to see the stream anyways, so even if I had known about the concert beforehand I wouldn't have been able to watch it.

Here's a small portion of the VOCALOID performance:

Apparently a few others were there like CUL and Lily. But here's another question: Have you ever been to a VOCALOID concert? If so, what was it like and did you enjoy yourself? If you've never been to one, would you like to go?

Sakura Rain

Years
  • Looked Yume Yume up, and it was spectacular! Thanks for letting me know about that XD

Jesus Christ. That was spectacular. I love technology XD AND KAITO AND GAKUPO -glomps-

Have you ever been to a VOCALOID concert? If so, what was it like and did you enjoy yourself? If you've never been to one, would you like to go?

I know there was a VOCALOID concert in L.A. but unfortunately it's rather hard to get to California from Tennessee so yeah. Didn't get to go to that one. And yeah, it'd be nice to go to one, as long as I could bring all my friends XD

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    When and how did you discover VOCALOID?

Hmm that's a good question it was so long ago I really don't remember anymore... It may have been the Servant of Evil/Daughter of Evil series that first introduced me.

My favorite voice-wise is definitely GUMI, as she gets the best usage out of all the VOCALOID in my opinion. After GUMI I'd say IA is a close second, but design-wise I like Kaito and Lily the most.

I love scop-- scop just has some of the most fabulous tunes, like yubikiri, top secret, and domino taoshi AH so fantastic. DECO*27 is a natural of course, never heard a song from him I didn't like, and I'm also particular to Manbou, because his songs are always so full of meaning yet so silly and hilarious at the same time. Not to mention Manbou no Ane is like, my favorite artist in the entire world, so I love watching the PV's that go with his songs.

Also I'm going to shameless plug my good friend Prince Syo who is a fabulous SeeU producer. (And fantastic Utaite btw)

This is a SeeWu original, but my favorite of his:

As for the Vocaloid concerts, I haven't been to one, but my friends went last year and they said it was less impressive than they'd been expecting-- but I'd love to get the chance to check one out, even if I know they wouldn't play any of my favorite songs. /crey

Last edited:

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • Sakura Rain said:
    Looked Yume Yume up, and it was spectacular! Thanks for letting me know about that XD

No problem! To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I first heard it, but now that I've listened to it a few more times I like it a lot.

Loki said:
    I love scop-- scop just has some of the most fabulous tunes, like yubikiri, top secret, and domino taoshi AH so fantastic. DECO*27 is a natural of course, never heard a song from him I didn't like, and I'm also particular to Manbou, because his songs are always so full of meaning yet so silly and hilarious at the same time. Not to mention Manbou no Ane is like, my favorite artist in the entire world, so I love watching the PV's that go with his songs.

I have Scop's albums but I haven't really listened to them yet. But from what I've heard from little snippets of his songs, they seem quite nice. And by Manbou, I take it you mean Manbo-Dead-Behind-The-HouseP? If so then I've only heard of a couple of songs by him (the one with the handsome fire extinguisher and the one where GUMI is a cheapskate God) but they were really good! I think he has an album coming out next month.

And that was a nice song! It seems like your friend is really good at tuning SeeU/SeeWu.

As for me, I have never been to a VOCALOID concert and probably never will. I would love to go to one though, the atmosphere must be amazing.

Sakura Rain

Years
  • No problem! To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I first heard it, but now that I've listened to it a few more times I like it a lot.

Well, it sort of reminded me of Once Upon a Me, which is another 'cutesy' song by Deco so I was already used to the style of the song XD

has no idea who scop is thus rushes off to youtube

I like that top secret XD I'm more into Vocarock, though which explains my obsession with wowaka, lol

SPEAKING OF WOWAKA~
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM3tyulpxJA

is it bad that I like this more than the original ohgod

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    When I was doing research on various things, I first heard Miku and Luka's magnet (by the well-known Ryuusei-P / minato). That was the song that led me into Vocaloid, I suppose, since I listened to the rest of the songs in the album 【minato/流星P】magnet -favorites plus-, and it went on from there.

• Who is your favourite VOCALOID?
    Megurine Luka. ... =[ I secretly wish I had a less (relatively) well-known Vocaloid as my favourite, but I cannot honestly say that I like any other Vocaloid more.

fatman-P - his songs carry a distinctive flavor that I really like - Haru Koi Uta and Beautiful World were the songs that drew me to him, as well as Last Song; the top comment of the last actually describes my reason for liking Luka very well, so I'll quote it:

"This is the attractiveness of Megurine: regardless of whether she is passionately in love or mourning a love lost, she is a blend of both maturity and innocence."

Uta-P - although perhaps not very well-known (... I might be grossly wrong on this, of course, but I don't think he has many works with very many views : x), Uta-P also has extraordinary characteristics attached to his / her compositions that I find to be excellent: there is a mythical and folklore-esque feeling attached to many (if not all) of them. Some examples of work are regeneration, Pygmalion (Len / Luka duet)and Imitator.

Last edited:

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
    fatman-P - his songs carry a distinctive flavor that I really like - Haru Koi Uta and Beautiful World were the songs that drew me to him, as well as Last Song; the top comment of the last actually describes my reason for liking Luka very well, so I'll quote it:

"This is the attractiveness of Megurine: regardless of whether she is passionately in love or mourning a love lost, she is a blend of both maturity and innocence."

I love fatmanP's works too, my favourite song by him would have to be Simply Alone in the World or Dancer in the Dark. I wonder what happened to him though; it almost seems as if he disappeared off the face of the earth. His Twitter account or website haven't been updated in a year, and I don't think he's uploaded anything new to his Nico Nico Douga account (although I haven't checked). And as far as I know, he isn't producing VOCALOID music under another name. I sincerely hope nothing bad has happened to him, but it seems very strange that he disappeared all of a sudden, especially when he just released his first album.

Also I'm just gonna post my current favourite VOCALOID song:

Sooo catchy! I hope mikumix produces more music videos, the animation is so clean and smooth.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
    Years
  • Me . . . I discovered Vocaloid when I saw a Pokemon parody of Triple Baka. And then my friend showed me Servant of Evil a couple of years later, and I started getting into it from there.

And my favorite Vocaloid? It's Piko. I think he's kinda underrated, though. Seems like people only use him to ship him with Miki or Len (who I think is the Vocaloid version of Justin Beiber).

My favorite producer has to be Wowaka-p or Jin.

Years
  • I found out about Vocaloid while watching a PV of the song Melt, and Watching a PV of Triple Baka with Keroro Gunso.
    I have to say that my favorite VOCALOID is KAITO!!I cannot wait for his append to come out!
    Some of my favorite Vocaloid Producers are CircusP, wowaka, Dixie Flatline, DECO*27, CosMo.
    My favorite Utaite's are Piko, Sekihan, and 96Neko.

ゆりあき

"The Nature-Loving Gynoid!"
    Years
    I discovered VOCALOID in 2008 while searching for a character to represent an OC I had created for an RP. I found a really nice picture of Miku wearing red-rimmed glasses and decided she was a perfect fit. Inevitably, I did some research to find out where Miku had originated from. I discovered VOCALOID shortly thereafter, but I didn't really like the songs uploaded to NicoNico and YouTube. It wasn't until I began downloading doujin albums and such that I really fell in love with VOCALOID.

Vocal-wise, Gumi was my favorite VOCALOID for awhile. I remember hearing a song in which the producer made Gumi sound as if she were taking breaths, and I was in absolute awe. Gumi was my number one fave; I was also quite impressed by Kaai Yuki, my second favorite. However, after Miku's append was released, I'm not sure where everyone stands in rankings since I quite like Miku as well now. She was okay before, but after the upgrade I thought she was perfect.

Design-wise my faves are: Nekomura Iroha, Yuzuki Yukari, Luo Tianyi, Tone Rion, and Append Miku,

Now this is a tough question... I generally gravitate towards producers who make electronic music, like the circles CueB and electro planet. livetune needs an honorable mention for being the first producer I really loved. I think P∴Rhythmatiq is great. And 8#Prince, (∵)キョトンP, きくお, 古墳P, すけっちP, and treow just to name a few.

And as expected of a fan of Perfume, Hagumi, you have good tastes in VOCALOID producers.

What albums are you looking forward to from THE VOC@LOID M@STER20?
    VOM@S20, eh? Since that event has passed I can't answer the original question, so I'll just share what I listened to, or plan to listen to. I actually can't remember everything I downloaded because some of it was put on my backlog of things to listen to. I can probably make a comprehensive list of everything I got from taggleburr, though. That seems simple enough.

「残らずの森」 ウサギトネコ
    「io」 L75-3
    「Avalanche」 CueB
    「emonloid4」 emon
    「Night Groove」 Sukimono
    「photon」 Pulse
    「United」 イママP
    「Dearest」 ゆーきー
    「HeartsCapsule」 Colate
    「symphonia」 P∴Rhythmatiq
    「P」 PHASMA
    「Arkhe」Lemm
    「Cute'n Cute'n Pop」ATZ records
    「DOLCE」 Dolcherry Records
    「electric love collection」 Plug8
    「EVE」 アウトプットP
    「刹那プラス+」 みきとP

I got more album from MikuDB so the list isn't complete, but I guess this simply shows how much time I put into listening to this stuff...

VOM@S22 is coming up...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back