• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Voice acting and cutscenes?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I would enjoy a Pokedex voice thing, because I have a weird thing about computerized voice thingys, but I can't see any other thing included. Like everything else cool it will probably be implemented on 6th Gen.
I like this idea a lot. I don't know how much cartridge space or memory or whatever it would take up, and it's not 'necessary' in any sense of the word, but it could be a really nice touch.

The sheer amount of text and exposition that goes into every Pokemon game would mean that hearing all of it would get really tedious, really quickly. At least from my point of view. Especially because the sound capabilities of a DS aren't up to standard with that of a console-game, so the voices would probably end up sounding quite tinny as a result.

Cut scenes, I actually try and skip if I can. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'd rather just get on and play the game.

Years
If voice acting is implemented then, like Aquarius1997 said, it needs to be only for the main characters. Otherwise we might run into situations like Nurse Joy, as Xulek said.
Though I would like voice acting in battles. Imagine battling Elesa with voice acting... you'd like that won't you... DON'T LIE TO ME NOW.
Maybe the generic characters such as Youngster Joey could have their own battle cry-"MY SHORTS ARE AWESOME!" or (All epic sounding with perfectly timed music) "Dare to challenge me, THE GREAT Gym Leader ______!? Then prepare yourself!"

Would the Protagonist actually need to be silent? It could work out... though for us old timers it might ruin it. Or the Protagonist could be silent then at the end of the game they could give this whole speech on why Pokemon mean a lot to her/him.
HEY! WAIT JUST A MINUTE NOW! Who could possibly be the voice actors? I don't want a Japanese accent (NO OFFENSE) in my American game (even though the Japs made it).

Last edited:

Joshawott

Banned
Years
I highly doubt voice acting will be added into Black and White 2, but cutscenes for sure considering... there has always been cutscenes? I'm all for seeing more, though. One thing I would actually like seeing are more skits like those of Black and White. As for voice acting, I'm all for it being added granted the voices don't drive me completely haywire.

Last edited:

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
It is POSSIBLE for a ds or 3ds game card to hold multiple audio file I think that the creators have never done for
1) it would piss off the older players
2)the sheer # of audio files found and the games
3)according to this source http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_memory_can_a_DS_game_card_hold
I think the cost would get higher(didnt FULLY understand the source)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
HEY! WAIT JUST A MINUTE NOW! Who could possibly be the voice actors? I don't want a Japanese accent (NO OFFENSE) in my American game (even though the Japs made it).
I agree actually :( I'd love an Australian accent but I think because of sooo many different accents it probably wouldn't happen plus it'd be annoying.

Cutscenes plz though! /need more

Cid

Years
I don't think they will add voice-acting into the games. Judging from the first few in game footage they have released, and from tradition. I guess it would be awesome, but it's just very unlikely in my opinion. Cutscenes however, are quite different. We have seen a few cutscenes in the past, and this thing became more prevalent in the fifth generation. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they increase the number of cutscenes they place in the game. I just hope it would prove to be a good approach and wouldn't be intrusive or dragging.

I do hope that if they include voices, they pick the right voice actors for the job. No annoying voices, please. And I wouldn't like the main protagonist to talk, personally, unless they really pull it off well. They never had the main character speak after all. And silent protagonists give way to emulating yourself into the character, and that's always a good approach for something like Pokémon that offers you pet-like party members that you grow with throughout the game.

Maybe grunts and reaction voices would be alright for the main hero. And like some of you guys mentioned, I actually have no qualms with rivals and important characters to get good voices.

Years
Well, the cutscenes are a given. The first cutscene I remember seeing in one of the mainstream Pokemon games was in Emerald, and from then on the games have had more and more. In Black and White there were a fair few (mostly involving the legendaries) but I've no doubt there'll be even more in B2W2, just because they can.
Voice acting, however, is never gonna happen, if you ask me. I can't really think of many reasons why they wouldn't have voice acting in a Pokemon game; aside from the fact that it'd be extremely out of place in a game where the characters are still sprites, rather than 3D models.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I can see more cutscenes such as the one in the trailer with Kyurem. I can also see a cutscene dealing with the final battle against the antagonist/legends like with the weather trio in E, The arrival of the lake trio in Pt, and the rising of N's castle and the revival of the dragon in B/W.
I wish there was some voice acting but I don't see it happening this time around :(

Mr. Magius

  
Years
I would actually enjoy voice acting and cutscenes. Although it would be very different from previous games, it definitely wouldn't take anything away from the experience. These features would be neat.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
I would love voice acting added
The ony thing that troubles me is which cutscene will they us : the ferris wheel cutscene( its technically a cutscene) or the reshiram/zekrom appearance(my personal one
I think that they would assign different forms of cutscenes for the given situation

Back