• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Was Emerald really necessary?

Years
  • It's definately worth it, Battle Frontier, of course!
    Even after you've completed the Pokedex, Battle Frontier won't be completed so easily, and gives you something to do long after you've run out of things to do.
    xD

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Ive been playing on an emulator since i don't own a GBA , game looks more alive than artworks, you can catch more legendaries (used gameshark, mew as first pokemon ftw!)
    i played sapphire and i enjoyed emerald more.. i'm now playing my 7th game and its just awesome..

i recommand it.. but what you do from here, is your call

and say, what 3rd game there was not a major improvement?
    yellow : a cute pikachu following you (one improvement that nowdays games LACK while no sign of a remake)
    crystal : animated spirites, play as girl, some more i dont remember..
    platinum : legendary birds, graphic improvement (some say that) new spirites for every pokemon

For the Japanese Crystal they had a cell phone feature. I cannot bleieve NOA omitted that feature from our version. Also why didn't Gamefreak bring it back in the RSE generation ,because it would've been cool to use your cell phone to battle and trade with other trainers.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    i don't know why. it is cool. but getting celebi is much cooler.

Jameseh

Hmm.
    Years
  • I was very excited for Emerald, and then when I got it and it was just R/S I was very dissapointed. But after I have played through it, I would never play R/S again. Its just better. I don't know how it just is.

Strange. :S

Ayesha

惚け
    Years
  • It's pretty cool. First off, a few differences, it has the Battle Tower, a different legendary, and well, different enemies. It's pretty much the same, I agree, but it's fun to work with new Pokemon and a different legendary to catch.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • So I never played emerald because someone told me it would be like my sapphire. But was it really necessary to play or to buy because i am thinking of giving it a try. I mean I heard that there is the battle tower and you can get rayquaza before the elite 4. But is it worth me trying?
    It's almost EXACTLY the same, but there are still some differences. And if you're like me, and think the beginning of the game is the best part, you might as well play emerald through.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Even though it's pretty much the same, you can get a couple more Jhoto Pokémons from it.

That, and the game's more focused on Rayquaza. It actually showed why it was involved in Kyogre's and Grouldon's fued.

Years
  • Eh, I thought Emerald was a bit pointless. >.>
    I hated how they didn't stick with the FRLG style OW. The R/S ones look ugly, while the FRLG ones were nice and cute. c:

Sloofish

★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn
    Years
  • There's always a Special Edition. Like Platinum to Diamond and Pearl or Blue to Red and Green, or Yellow to Red and Blue-- Crystal to Gold and Silver. Along with Crystal ushered in the `fad' of moving Pokemon on all of the Special Edition games.

I personally like Emerald better because it had better moving Pokemon than shown in Crystal. Platinum has better animation than in Diamond and Pearl. Etc. Emerald also kind of had really cool pictures for all the items. Which always irked me when I was littler. I never got to see any of the cool items......

Kayin

Local Champion
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    I didn't know that Saphire was even around until a year after it came out. o_O

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
  • I think it's necessary. I love the fact that the Gym leaders' Pokemon improve level every time...it's really good training. The Battle Frontier is another good challenge - I have three Silver symbols and am working on getting the rest of the Silver and Gold symbols. I've had the game for a year and a half, I believe, now, and it hasn't gotten that old.

So yeah, get it.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 12, 2016
    I don't know if any of you noticed, but hello? It's a video game. Since when did any sort of video game become "necessary"?

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
  • *sigh*

Not necessary for life, obviously. Otherwise we would have said that. All we're trying to figure out is: if you have R/S, is it really necessary to get Emerald? If you're just going to harp about our wording, then get out of the thread.

And if you don't enjoy Pokemon and are only going to talk about how it's just a video game and we shouldn't be talking about it like this, why did you join the forum?

Because, you know, it's just a video game.

[/tryingnottolosetemper]

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Emerald was the only one of the third gen that I got, and Im happy that I got it rather then the others( although I'd already beaten my friends ruby, sapphire and fire red)

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    I don't know if any of you noticed, but hello? It's a video game. Since when did any sort of video game become "necessary"?
    its also an addon after ruby and sapphire that is why i asked.

Years
  • If you ask if Emerald was really worth it you have to ask if any other third installment was worth it. They never really tend to differ from the main two too much. A couple of minor things here and there, no big deal. I think they are worth it though; it's something new to do, so why not.

Back