• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Was Emerald really necessary?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    So I never played emerald because someone told me it would be like my sapphire. But was it really necessary to play or to buy because i am thinking of giving it a try. I mean I heard that there is the battle tower and you can get rayquaza before the elite 4. But is it worth me trying?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    There's not really much difference between them. No, you can't get all legendaries. You can only get all the legendaries in a game by trading. There's a new phone you can use to ask for rematches, including Gym Leaders. You can also get Rayquaza before the Elite 4. It's all up to you if you want to try.

. R e ð e m p † i o n

•You got a piece of meh!•
    Years
    Yes, it is worth playing. You'll find it extremely enjoyable. There are special and unique features in Pokemon Emerald that aren't in the other AGG. The storyline is what, I assume will get you playing on and on. There are amazing plot-twists, the battle animations and new unlockable places such as The Battle Frontier and the Battle Tents. The legendaries though... you can't obtain some of the few special legendaries such as Mew, Deoxys, Lati@s, Ho-Oh, Lugia by ordinary means, YOU CAN HOWEVER use the Myster Event to obtain them. The three weather-related legndaries can be captured in-game unlike Ruby and Sapphire.

Trust me, Emerald is a game worth playing. OR MAYBE BEYOND THAT

Years
    Emerald is pretty fun. It's like Platinum in a way. Two games are made, then 1 game is made after the two and it's like them, but with improvements. But I don't think you should buy it...Save up your money for future Pokemon games :)

Formula380

Supersonic
    Years
    I find emerald way worth what I payed for. I bought it when it came out but I now saw on Amazon that emerald is $100 dollers or so. THAT IS A LOT. Its fun but I dont know if its worth $100. But if money isn't an issue then yeah I say get it.

The Red Chain

Emerald is pretty fun. It's like Platinum in a way. Two games are made, then 1 game is made after the two and it's like them, but with improvements.

All the typical battle style handheld Pokemon games have two that are similar, then a third that is better than the other two.
    Has happened since generation one. :3

• Red/Blue - Yellow
    • Gold/Silver - Crystal
    • Sapphire/Ruby - Emerald
    • Diamond/Pearl - Platinum

[LG/FR didn't have a third game, but they were just remakes anyway.]

Emerald is very similar to Ruby and Sapphire as the third games usually are. I never got very far in my Emerald, so I'm not sure about the improvements. But if you want the Weather Trio for capture all in one game, Battle Frontier, and some slight animation improvements, Emerald is for you. ^.^

Last edited:
    Years
    I think it's worth a purchase (a reasonable one), as it's a pretty fun game with some new challanges, and cool extra features at the end of the game. Replay value is pretty good in that regard.

I find emerald way worth what I payed for. I bought it when it came out but I now saw on Amazon that emerald is $100 dollers or so. THAT IS A LOT. Its fun but I dont know if its worth $100. But if money isn't an issue then yeah I say get it.
    Ouch. I found a brand-new sealed copy of Emerald at Sears the other day for $15. Since I lost my original copy of the game a few years ago, I had to pounce on this deal. Also bought a new sealed copy of LeafGreen as well for the same price.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Sell your Sapphire and buy Emerald. I am not joking. There is no comparison between Emerald and Ruby/Sapphire. Emerald has everything RS has, and A LOT more. Here are a few of the changes that I can remember off the top of my head:

- All Pokemon sprites are now animated
    - Some Abilities can now be used outside of battle. (i.e. Arena Trap increases encounter rate, Sychronize increases the chance a wild Pokemon will have the same nature, Flame Body decreases (almost in half) the amount of steps needed to hatch an egg, etc.)
    - The Pick Up Ability now changes items you get depending on the level of the Pokemon (i.e. Lv91 Pokemon has a 5% chance of getting TM26 Earthquake)
    - PokeNav now has Match Call, where trainers (including Gym Leaders) will call you for a rematch, their Pokemon improving each time
    - You will find opportunities to do double battles againsts two other trainers at the same time.
    - You can also do 2v2 battles with computer partner against two other trainers.
    - You can catch Ditto in the Desert Underpass.
    - If a female or Ditto is holding an Everstone and you breed it, there is a 50% chance its nature will be passed on to the baby Pokemon.
    - The path from Verdanturf through Mauville and to Route 118 has been straightened, which makes it a great path for breeding purposes.
    - If you breed two Pikachu/Raichu and one is holding the Light Ball, the baby Pichu will know Volt Tackle.
    - You are able to get both the Claw Fossil and Root Fossil instead of having to choose one.
    - The Safari Zone has a new section that is full of Johto Pokemon.
    - Once you fill the Hoenn PokeDex (not counting Jirachi and Deoxys), if you visit Prof. Birch he will allow you to pick one of the Johto starters.
    - Move Tutors are scattered throughout the region.
    - The Contest houses in Slateport, Vendarturf, and Fallarbor have been replaced with Battle Tents. These tents provide different skill games.
    - All contests are now located in Lilycove.
    - You can now choose either Latias or Latios.
    - Rayquaza can be caught prior to the "elite" 4, although that is incredibly cheap.
    - Both Kyogre and Groudon can be caught. Both are Lv70 (same as Rayquaza).
    - You can catch Mew, Deoxys, Ho-oh, and Lugia, if the get the proper ticket from a Nintendo Event.
    - Berries #21-26 now not only lower EVs by 10, but they also increase Happiness.
    - The biggest addition is the Battle Frontier. It provides you seven different challenges that offers improved AI strategy (somewhat), including the ability to double battle either with or against a friend.
    - More Johto Pokemon can be found in the Battle Frontier (i.e. Smeargle and Soodowoodo).
    - Move Tutor moves can be purchased in the Battle Frontier.
    - Vitamins can be purchased in the Battle Frontier for 1 Battle Point.

I am sure I am forgetting some things, but the above items alone make Emerald the best Pokemon game available.

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
    Years
    emerald is really worth it, since there are loads of changes, like:
    - Battle frontier
    - New animations
    - New design location pop-ups
    - Rayquaza,Kyogre and Groudon all lv.70
    - Gym changes
    - Both criminal teams
    - Union room
    - New elite four champion
    - Other minor chanegs to the elite four
    - Other minor changes in general

The gyms and gym layouts are much better, and much harder. but watch out, ever since emerald came out, the emerald-revamped mossdeep gym is the HARDEST gym i've ever come across, to me it's SOOO hard, and even though i've beaten them so many times anyway, i still find it really hard and usually on beat them by traading strong pokemon anyway, but that keeps you hooked in a good way! =D

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    Of corse its nessary. Emerald just wraps up Sapphire and Ruby. It has a lot of improvements but my favorite part is getting Rayquaza. I love that pokemon.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I would say it is, yeah. It just feels more... stream-lined to me, I don't know. It was a lot easier to really get into then Sapphire or Ruby was, and it wrapped up the story and all that other stuff the posts above me said XD; But, if you have the money to spare then I'd say you should give it a go. It was my favourite from that generation, sooo :[

Years
    Well, things you can get you can't get in Ruby/Sapphire are:
    New Pokenav Phone
    One Johto Satrter
    Battle Frontier
    Rayquaza, Groudon and Kyoger at once
    Ho-Oh (Special Event)
    Lugia (Special Event)
    Mew (Special Event)
    Sudowoodo
    Smeargle
    Aipom
    Gligar
    Sunkern
    Mareep
    Houndour
    Miltank
    Pinecho
    And lots of other stuff!

darkflagrance

Boxquick
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2010
    The key to pokemon games is to buy the third because it has the most complete experience of the three. That said, I actually preferred Sapphire's limited selection of pokemon, because it meant my team of Metagross, Latios, and Gengar completely sweep the battle tower. I'm on battle 250 or so but gave up due to boredom.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Was Pokemon Blue necessary when we had Pokemon Red? Was Pokemon Gold necessary when we had Pokemon SIlver? Was Pokemon Ruby necessary wehn we had Sapphire? Was Pokemon Diamond necessary when we had Pokemon Pearl? Anyway, now that is over with, here are thye differences between Sapphire and Emerald:
    The TrainerEyes feature has been changed to the Match Call. Sure, you may think its just a name change, but now you get rung by the registered trainers!
    Sure its only minor, but the Pokemon Sprites are now animated! (Like they were in Crystal)
    You can get both Kyogre and Groudon (and they are both at level 70!)
    Storyline is longer and (in myopinion) more epic!
    You can get Rayquaza before beating the elite four. (Yes, he is still at level 70...)
    You fight Team Aqua and Team Magma!
    Rayquaza is the main Pokemon.
    New Gym Leader.
    New Champion.
    You can still fight Steven (and he has quite high Pokemon too. Shame you can only fight him once...)
    Some new Johto Pokemon!
    If you complete the Hoenn dex, you can get one Johto Starter!
    The Safari Zone is larger once certain reuirements are met
    You get the national dex once you beat the Elite Four. That is the only requirement...
    Battle Frontier (Battle Tower and more facilities.)
    More Base stuff.
    Wireless adapter compatible
    Minigames (same as FR/LG)
    Sows route names (not sure if it does this in Ruby. Even so, they have pretty cool graphics.)
    Protoganists have new outfits.
    You can catch a limited Sudowoodo!
    You can get both fossils!
    New places: Mirage Tower (notm island) and Underground Pass (I cant remember what it's called. :S You can find the fossil you didn't choose and Ditto here! :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Once (if) you get into IV breeding, Emerald also has a broken RNG to exploit. Even if IVs aren't your thing, it's not hard to net yourself a few shiny legendaries on it either.

Also (off-topic): darkflagrance, love the avatar and sig. Wyverii's design should have won :(

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I found Emerald enjoyable when I got it. Much, much more better than R/S espeically because they added the Battle Frontier which makes the game even harder to 'beat'.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Of course it wasn't necessary. None of the tertiary additions were necessary, but they were much cooler to play. Emerald was no exception. It had the Battle Tower, a cooler storyline and it explains what Rayquaza is. Definitely worth a purchase.

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    Emerald was worth it. I enjoyed the battle frontier. I'm still probably going to keep working on getting all the golden symbols. Last week I got my last silver symbol. It would be a lot easier if the game didn't use hax like double team, quick claw, and focus band, 3 critical hits in a row, 100% accurate sheer cold, ect. That and it is possible to get all the 3rd gen legendaries in one game (well, if you count all the event stuff).

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    I like all of the third releases :) They're always just fun because you know the original story well enough to prevent any major confusion, but all of the new features make the games exciting enough to be worth it.

Back