• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Was Emerald really necessary?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Sell your Sapphire and buy Emerald. I am not joking. There is no comparison between Emerald and Ruby/Sapphire. Emerald has everything RS has, and A LOT more. Here are a few of the changes that I can remember off the top of my head:

- All Pokemon sprites are now animated
    - Some Abilities can now be used outside of battle. (i.e. Arena Trap increases encounter rate, Sychronize increases the chance a wild Pokemon will have the same nature, Flame Body decreases (almost in half) the amount of steps needed to hatch an egg, etc.)
    - The Pick Up Ability now changes items you get depending on the level of the Pokemon (i.e. Lv91 Pokemon has a 5% chance of getting TM26 Earthquake)
    - PokeNav now has Match Call, where trainers (including Gym Leaders) will call you for a rematch, their Pokemon improving each time
    - You will find opportunities to do double battles againsts two other trainers at the same time.
    - You can also do 2v2 battles with computer partner against two other trainers.
    - You can catch Ditto in the Desert Underpass.
    - If a female or Ditto is holding an Everstone and you breed it, there is a 50% chance its nature will be passed on to the baby Pokemon.
    - The path from Verdanturf through Mauville and to Route 118 has been straightened, which makes it a great path for breeding purposes.
    - If you breed two Pikachu/Raichu and one is holding the Light Ball, the baby Pichu will know Volt Tackle.
    - You are able to get both the Claw Fossil and Root Fossil instead of having to choose one.
    - The Safari Zone has a new section that is full of Johto Pokemon.
    - Once you fill the Hoenn PokeDex (not counting Jirachi and Deoxys), if you visit Prof. Birch he will allow you to pick one of the Johto starters.
    - Move Tutors are scattered throughout the region.
    - The Contest houses in Slateport, Vendarturf, and Fallarbor have been replaced with Battle Tents. These tents provide different skill games.
    - All contests are now located in Lilycove.
    - You can now choose either Latias or Latios.
    - Rayquaza can be caught prior to the "elite" 4, although that is incredibly cheap.
    - Both Kyogre and Groudon can be caught. Both are Lv70 (same as Rayquaza).
    - You can catch Mew, Deoxys, Ho-oh, and Lugia, if the get the proper ticket from a Nintendo Event.
    - Berries #21-26 now not only lower EVs by 10, but they also increase Happiness.
    - The biggest addition is the Battle Frontier. It provides you seven different challenges that offers improved AI strategy (somewhat), including the ability to double battle either with or against a friend.
    - More Johto Pokemon can be found in the Battle Frontier (i.e. Smeargle and Soodowoodo).
    - Move Tutor moves can be purchased in the Battle Frontier.
    - Vitamins can be purchased in the Battle Frontier for 1 Battle Point.

I am sure I am forgetting some things, but the above items alone make Emerald the best Pokemon game available.
    thanks bro I might go out and get a copy right now as a warm up for platinum lol.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Ya, im guessing. Im not sure, but I think you can only get Regigigas if you had a Emerald (I forgot about that) but Emerald introduced a lot of new stuff, including PKMN moving! XD But i say it was nessesary, because it seems to have more drama in a way thats hard to explain! XD

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    None of the third versions are necessary, just money makers. I still end up getting them all. :(
    That's pretty much the reason for the third game of a series. Although the new features and tweaks seem appealing.

Years
    Yes but every game is made for money like anything else but the third games have much better improvements and they complete the story about the legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    hmm I mean everything sounds cool about it but they could have just kept with ruby and sapphire and i think they would have been fine but thats just me.

Years
    Emerald

It wasn't realy necessary, but they made a few changes that made it cool and actually necessary.

It also makes a pattern though. There was Red and Blue then Yellow came along. Gold and Silver then Crystal. Ruby, Sappire then Emerald. Pearl and Diamond then Platinum. There is the twins then a better remake (fire red and leaf green dont count).

Last edited:

Lil' Schu

never an honest word... ♫
    Years
    Well, to complete the first two+one series, yes, it was necessary.

I haven't played it, but my friend has and absolutely loves it (much more then his Sapphire version). He likes how you can get both legendaries and the greenness of it (it's his favorite color xD).

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    hmm I mean everything sounds cool about it but they could have just kept with ruby and sapphire and i think they would have been fine but thats just me.
    Play Emerald and you will see exactly what a silly comment that is. That is similar to driving around a Volkswagon when you have a Ferrari sitting in your garage. Give it a shot and you will see that difference.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    ya I would give it a shot of I could find it in a store. I am not planning on paying $95 for a copy on amazon. If you don't believe me check for yourself

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Yeah, stay away from that. I got a used Emerald cart for my son at Game Stop for $15 just a month or so ago.

Ultra Ball X

Certified Ultra Ball
    Years
    Get it dude I spent like 300 hours playing that game. and the Battle Frontier will keep you busy for hours.

Years
    Well, to me, it was, cuz it ment more Poke Special. xD
    Uh...I've played it once, but I never got to the Battle Frontier, even so, there were still many differences from Sapphire.
    Well, everyone has their own opinions, if you think it was neccassary, fine, if you don't, fine.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    That's like asking was Yellow or Crystal or Platinum nessasary. It was, because it had new ways to explore and battle in Hoenn.

It isn't that similar with pokemon saphire or ruby. The story mode is a little more interesting, you can find rayquaza before the E4, and catch groudon and kyogre after it. The battle tower is fun too, and beating is hard. It takes like one week after you've finished the story. The pokemon are animated (they move in-battle). Humm, some new pokemons from other regions. Is worth buying.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Ive been playing on an emulator since i don't own a GBA , game looks more alive than artworks, you can catch more legendaries (used gameshark, mew as first pokemon ftw!)
    i played sapphire and i enjoyed emerald more.. i'm now playing my 7th game and its just awesome..

i recommand it.. but what you do from here, is your call

and say, what 3rd game there was not a major improvement?
    yellow : a cute pikachu following you (one improvement that nowdays games LACK while no sign of a remake)
    crystal : animated spirites, play as girl, some more i dont remember..
    platinum : legendary birds, graphic improvement (some say that) new spirites for every pokemon

Last edited:

Shine Austin

But we gamble with desire.
    Years
    I love Pokemon Emerald, my favorite part of it is Battle Frontier since it gives you something to do after you beat the Elite Four. So in my opinion, yes, Pokemon Emerald was most deffinitly necessary.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    ya I want to play the battle frontier I feel like I missed out on that and I want to taste the original before I hit platinum.

Back