• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Watch out for Ghosts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

I thought about it for Moon - I went through with bird Pokemon - but I figured it'd be enough of a struggle to even play it, and I didn't want to make things unnecessarily tedious for myself with additional grinding...which would have been even worse due to the diminishing returns of EXP making a return in the games.

Years

I absolutely hated the return of 5th Gen EXP mechanics. Especially when you know what a requirement for Hyper Training is...

pkmin3033

Sun and Moon were a step backwards in many ways...removing Super Training and changing the EXP mechanics were two such ways. It didn't make the games more difficult, just more time-consuming and, thereby, boring. Hyper Training was a nice touch, but it was poorly implemented and kinda a slap in the face in the absence of Super Training...

pkmin3033

They do? I wasn't aware of this...although I don't pay a huge amount of attention to who likes what, haha. Pokemon is all the same to me; there are no differentiating factors between generations worth fighting over. The franchise hasn't changed in any significant way since RBY in core gameplay, and that's all that really matters.

pkmin3033

I'm not sure I'd use that as a reliable source of information...although that's mostly because it labels Madoka as a deconstruction when it isn't, and that immediately sets me off when I see people do that >.>

But eh, I'll take your word for it. xD

Years

It does have trivia, but sometimes it likes to list something for a comedic purpose or something that would make you go into a ragefest, like difficult stuff in a video game.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

So Cynthia's Pokemon are in their high 70s. If I get to the Elite Four it will be significant grinding in Victory Road. On the experience of my Grass Monotype the game gets a lot easier once Fantina is defeated.

So far one badge and 1 death. A Bidoof.

pkmin3033

TVTropes' video game pages often make me laugh; it's rare I find something that is just so unfathomably wrong in every conceivable way that I just have to close the page, although I've never used it as a reference tool before...just a comparison index, of sorts.

Years

Cynthia is without a doubt contested for hardest Champion, with that final story battle against Kukui definitely up there. Doesn't help they have all those flawless IVs on their teams, along with Sun & Moon's tendency to put EV investment on NPCs as well.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

Cynthia's DP team is in the high 70s meaning lots of grinding in Victory Road if/when I get there.

In my Grass Monotype of Pearl any semblance of challenge disappeared once I defeated Fantina until the Elite 4 Level Spike. The last three Sinnoh leaders were outrageously easy.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years

to be fair, Cynthia is actually really difficult, level-difference aside. It's so balanced. You couldn't find a chink anywhere.

Years

I'll never look back on how Marriland's only survivors from that Cynthia fight in the Platinum Nuzlocke were of all things, a Leafeon and Pachirisu.

Years

Seeing him lose the Sun Nuzlocke to Kukui was so sad, since the only two Pokemon he had left at that point were a Decidueye and Oricorio. The poor Decidueye was finished in one hit by the Inferno Overdrive Z-Move by that Incineroar, losing the challenge. He lost an Alolan Muk and Mudsdale to Acerola, then lost his Wishiwashi to Kahili and then his Passimian died to Hala. Only Olivia wasn't a murderer.

Ever since that loss, I have developed a burning hatred for Kukui and Incineroar in general. Sadly Incineroar made it to the "love it" camp in the current Great Pokemon Battle.

pkmin3033

Kukui is pretty terrible as a character anyway...like the rest of Sun/Moon's painfully threadbare and undeveloped cast. That there was nobody else better suited to be the final battle in the game speaks for just how badly the whole league in general was handled. But then, Island Trials were just Gyms with a different name, so...

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    But then, Island Trials were just Gyms with a different name, so...

This. It was a nice thing but the gyms were formulaic and it worked. Good. There's no problem in that and I will have no qualms if they bring it back.

pkmin3033

It was a pretty thinly veiled attempt to disguise it, too. Do the puzzle, beat the sub-bosses, beat the boss, get a reward, progress. Just because you weren't in a building and you were battling Pokemon directly instead of trainers does not make everything suddenly different...or, in gameplay terms, anything different. I'm not saying Island Trials were bad - I have plenty of other things in SM to pick holes in - but I am saying that they didn't change a single thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back