• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weekly Music Mince 2 [Dish #8]

Years
  • [css-div="background-color: #FFF380; padding: 25px; border: double; border-color: #0000; border-width: 17px; text-align: left; width: 635px;"]
    Weekly Music Mince

Hello guys, it's the end of the week again and that means it's time for the second Music Mince. Once again I'm going to serve you up ten delectable songs that I've loved listening to this week.

These songs tend to be a tiny bit more mellow than the songs from last week's selection, but they're just as good. Dig in!

Number One
    Song: Hold Back the River
    Artist: James Bay

Info: This is a song I only just heard this week, but I've more or less fallen in love with it and I've been listening to it all week. It's got a really nice build up throughout the song, starting very soft but gradually reaching a rather energetic crescendo. The song is quite upbeat and the vocals give me a sort of less-depressing, indie James Blunt feeling similar to When I Find Love Again.

Number Two
    Song: Uneasy Hearts Way the Most
    Artist: Dance Gavin Dance

Info: This is another find from the song rating thread in Forum Games. This song isn't particularly amazing lyrically but the vocals and composition are pretty damn good and I really like the composition of the song. The chorus is excellent and is also a point of improvement in the lyrics.

Number Three
    Song: Dirty Diana
    Artist: Shaman's Harvest

Info: Shaman's Harvest are back on the list this week, this time with their cover of the famous Michael Jackson song, Dirty Diana. The song tells the story of a woman who more or less seduces famous and/or successful men and has always been a good song. I honestly feel though that Shaman's Harvest do this song better than MJ - remembering I'm a huge fan of his. They bring a harder, grittier feel to the song and I think the track greatly benefits from that.

Number Four
    Song: Rebel Beat
    Artist: Goo Goo Dolls

Info: A shoutout to Neckochen for recommending this song to me in Culture and Media. I've never really listened to the Goo Goo Dolls overly much, although I really like Iris. This is a really good quality, upbeat and happy song with great music and vocals and because of it I think I'll have to listen to the Goo Goo Dolls more often.

Number Five
    Song: Kill Somebody
    Artist: LYTS

Info: LYTS (pronounced Lights I believe) are a pretty much unknown Australian band that perform primarily synth pop music. The vocals, instrumentation and lyrics in the majority of their songs are pretty good but this song is one of my favourites. We've all been to a point where we're just angry and frustrated and we want to lash out at the world in cold blood and this song communicates that feeling really well without resorting to heavier sounds.

Number Six
    Song: No Flex Zone
    Artist: Karmin and Watsky

Info: Karmin is one of the few pop acts I tend to enjoy, this song however is primarily rap. I've been listening to it ever since I was reminded of its existence in Forum Games. The rapping in this song is high energy, fast and contains a great flow. It's very catchy and a good listen.

Number Seven
    Song: Audio Barricade
    Artist: Prozak

Info: More rapping for you, in fact Prozak is one of my favourite rappers out there. His songs are almost always very meaningful and are always of fantastic quality. This song is very happy, chill and uplifting and something I recommend to everyone whether you are a lover of rap or not.

Number Eight
    Song: Blow It All Away
    Artist: Sia

Info: Sia is also returning to the Music Mince this week, her song of my choice this time is one of her older ones and is very different to Elastic Heart that I posted last week. This is a very sad song, it seems to me that it is about a person throwing something important away with their actions. Unlike her more recent and well known songs, this one has a very jazzy or bluesy feel to it but it is of the same high standard.

Number Nine
    Song: The Unforgiven
    Artist: Metallica

Info: Ever since hearing this song it has been one of my favourites from this band, I was really pleased when my iPod reminded me of it during a shuffle session. This song has a very emotional and solemn feel to it with powerful vocals and lyrics. I love it when metal bands slow it down a bit and pull at the heartstrings.

Number Ten
    Song: Goliath
    Artist: Karnivool

Info: Karnivool is one of my favourite bands and definitely one of the best artists that the Australian music scene has produced. I love the unique time signature of this song, the well crafted lyrics and the top-notch vocals instrumentation. This is one of Karnivools best songs I think and it's a great listen.

Alright, that wraps up another serve of Music Mince. I'd love to hear what you thought about even one or two of these songs so feel free to leave a comment here sharing your thoughts. - Gimmepie

[/css-div]

Years
  • My comment on one song you listed, James Bay's Hold Back The River. I have seriously been in love with that song lately, and I'm not usually one who's into most mainstream music but I have a good feeling he's going to get big, especially now that he's landed a spot as a support act for Taylor Swift on the European leg of her 1989 World Tour.

Again, nice to see more Sia in there. I wasn't really exposed to her material until We Are Born but it makes me want to see what she sounded like prior to that album.

Years
  • Hikamaru;bt101572 said:
    My comment on one song you listed, James Bay's Hold Back The River. I have seriously been in love with that song lately, and I'm not usually one who's into most mainstream music but I have a good feeling he's going to get big, especially now that he's landed a spot as a support act for Taylor Swift on the European leg of her 1989 World Tour.

Again, nice to see more Sia in there. I wasn't really exposed to her material until We Are Born but it makes me want to see what she sounded like prior to that album.

I'd highly recommend listening to some of Bay's other songs as well. Let It Go, Scars, Wait in Line - take your pick because I'm yet to find a bad song of his.

Before she switched to her more well-known sound her music was a lot more blues or jazz inspired from the sounds of it. Her quirky pop elements are still present in them but they're less pronounced than in her more recent music.

Back