• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weekly Music Mince [Dish #1]

Years
  • [css-div="background-color: #FFF380; padding: 25px; border: double; border-color: #0000; border-width: 17px; text-align: left; width: 635px;"]
    Weekly Music Mince

Alright guys, not only is this the birth of The Pie Bakery but it is also the birth of a new weekly entry - the Weekly Music Mince. Today, as with all future Music Minces, I'll be serving you up ten songs that I've been particularly enjoying this week.

Dig in and be sure to share your thoughts in the comments!

Number One
    Song: In Chains
    Artist: Shaman's Harvest

Info: To me this song seems to be about relationship gone sour, its lyrics make excellent use of symbolism and conveying feelings. The song itself is really catchy and very well constructed combining rock and country influences with powerful vocals and instrumentation. The chorus feels very AC/DC.

Number Two
    Song: Face to Face
    Artist: Sevendust

Info: Honestly, this song seems to have a similar meaning to that of In Chains but it is still somewhat different, especially in its style. Apart from being more angry than sad, this song is pure rock, perhaps with some metal influence. The heavy instrumentation is done very well and as usual with this band the vocals are insanely good. What really stands out to me here though, is how well done the "screaming" is. Screaming is one of those things that can be great but is often overdone and without musicality, but that is not the case here.

Number Three
    Song: Elastic Heart
    Artist: Sia

Info: I'm going to be totally honest, whilst I have enjoyed Sia's music every time I have heard it, it is only recently with the release of "Chandelier" that I really started listening to her music and I can now say I am a fan. This is probably my favourite Sia song, it combines top-notch vocals with catchy but quirky music and fantastic lyrics (not to mention an extremely artistic music video). I've done a lot of theorising but I still can't determine exactly what I think this song is about, although I certainly have ideas. Maybe you guys have some thoughts?

Number Four
    Song: Sleeps Alone
    Artist: Two Door Cinema Club

Info: This is a song, and a band, that I only recently discovered thanks to the Song Rating Thread in the Forum Games section. When I first saw the title I felt that this would be pretty depressing, but as it turns out it is a very uplifting and inspiring song and rather than being melancholy, the character in the song has independence and strength to be proud of. The music and vocals are of a high calibre and the song is very catchy.

Number Five
    Song: Release - A Tale of Outer Suburbia
    Artist: Hands Like Houses

Info: This song is actually a re-release of their song A Tale of Outer Suburbia with a different arrangement. I have to tell you, I prefer this version which is a bit slower with a more intimate and emotional feel. The lyrics to this song are beautiful and convey a sense of uncertainty or fear to me. The vocals and instrumentation thankfully live up to the vocals.

Number Six
    Song: Ten Million Voices
    Artist: Shaman's Harvest

Info: Okay, I'm going to try and avoid posting too many songs from the same artist each week, but this definitely had to go in today. The feeling in this song is a lot different to In Chains although it is just as powerful. Rather than communicating a feeling of sadness to me, I find this song very inspiring and uplifting.

Number Seven
    Song: Take Me Over
    Artist: Peking Duk ft. SAFIA

Info: Quite frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of either Peking Duk, SAFIA or this genre of music, I'm really enjoying this song though. I can't really describe it but there's something uplifting about it that just makes me feel happy.

Number Eight
    Song: Apocalyptic
    Artist: Halestorm

Info: This song is dirty, gritty (a little hot *ehem) and catchy as hell. The instrumentation is fantastic and Lzzy Hale's vocals are as incredible as ever. Whilst there's nothing particular amazing about the song lyrically, it's a fun listen that I recommend to all lovers of rock.

Number Nine
    Song: What If I Was Nothing
    Artist: All That Remains

Info: This album has been something of a break from the usual style of All That Remains but despite the negative criticism some have given it, I have thoroughly enjoined it - especially this song. It's feeling is something I can really relate to and it is very good vocally and musically. Honestly this is a beautiful song.

Number Ten
    Song: Centuries
    Artist: Fall Out Boy

Info: Honestly this latest Fall Out Boy album has been a disappointment for me. I don't feel they've "sold out" like some people and the songs are decent for the most part, but for some reason I'm just not enjoying it as much as SRaR right now... except for Centuries. I love the catchy intensity in this song; it's fun and empowering to listen to and gives me a feeling reminiscent of Phoenix from the previous album. This song is a top-quality one and I'm looking forward to more like it.

Well, that's a helping of ten songs. I'd love to hear what you guys think of even just one or two of them so go ahead and leave a comment.
    -Gimmepie

Note: These entries will posted at the end of each week.
    [/css-div]​

Years
  • My two seconds on some of these songs:

Elastic Heart is pretty much my new fave Sia song, and while I heard controversy regarding the video it is still a song that gives me happy feels when I hear it because it's a sound I never expected from her. Aside from that, 1000 Forms Of Fear was definitely one of my fave albums of 2014, a year that pretty much delivered very interesting material.

As someone who's into the alternative indie genre, Two Door Cinema Club are one of those acts who are really great. I know I was in love with their debut album Tourist History, but I never heard much of the material from Beacon yet although I heard it didn't quite meet the same expectations as the former. I really do hope they come out of that hiatus and get new material out in the near future.

Now, onto Peking Duk. I support Australian acts myself, but then there's a flaw I'm noticing in their music that it's sorta giving off a mainstream vibe and that makes me question a song's quality because I'm one who prefers substance over style, and that's what can factor into what makes or breaks a song for me. I still do find Take Me Over better than their other hit High imo, but I guess that's because I found the vocals on that one a tad bit annoying.

Then there's Fall Out Boy... I did hear that particular song, but I have heard their newest material isn't as good as their older stuff.

Years
  • Hikamaru;bt101446 said:
    My two seconds on some of these songs:

Elastic Heart is pretty much my new fave Sia song, and while I heard controversy regarding the video it is still a song that gives me happy feels when I hear it because it's a sound I never expected from her. Aside from that, 1000 Forms Of Fear was definitely one of my fave albums of 2014, a year that pretty much delivered very interesting material.

As someone who's into the alternative indie genre, Two Door Cinema Club are one of those acts who are really great. I know I was in love with their debut album Tourist History, but I never heard much of the material from Beacon yet although I heard it didn't quite meet the same expectations as the former. I really do hope they come out of that hiatus and get new material out in the near future.

Now, onto Peking Duk. I support Australian acts myself, but then there's a flaw I'm noticing in their music that it's sorta giving off a mainstream vibe and that makes me question a song's quality because I'm one who prefers substance over style, and that's what can factor into what makes or breaks a song for me. I still do find Take Me Over better than their other hit High imo, but I guess that's because I found the vocals on that one a tad bit annoying.

Then there's Fall Out Boy... I did hear that particular song, but I have heard their newest material isn't as good as their older stuff.

The controversy over the music video is absolutely ridiculous, it's because it's a young girl and an adult man dancing together and what they're wearing. The stupid thing is that there's absolutely no sexual connotations in the choreography and they'd wear the same amount of clothes at a public beach. People need to just chill out and enjoy the amazing music and creativity of the video.

I can't say much about Two Door Cinema club since I'm new to them, but I did splurge on their music after discovering them and I have to say I hope whatever hiatus they're on ends soon because I've enjoyed everything I've heard. I'm not sure what songs are from which albums, however they all seem to be of a similarly high standard to me.

I pretty much agree with everything you said about the other two as well xD

Back