• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Weekly Poll #6] What generation did you start with?

What generation got you into Pokemon?

• Generation I

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Generation II

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Generation III

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Generation IV

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Generation V

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I started Pokémon with generation one. I managed to get a copy of Pokémon Blue and a GameBoy Colour for my 6th birthday and I've enjoyed Pokémon ever since. I'm pretty sure around that time, I also started watching the animé which was around the end of the Johto league.

Sully

advanced trainer
    Years
    First Gen<3

My grandma bought me a green Gameboy Color and a Pokemon Red dual pack and my sister got a purple Color and Pokemon Blue. I had been watching the show for a week or two before and my friends were all playing it d: I've grown up with it so much I can't remember ever not playing Pokemon<3

Gilgαmesh

I've probably started with the third generation. I'm late, I know.

In actuality, I started with the second generation, but the actual copy of the game wasn't mine. I started playing my brother's Silver version just to get a grasp of what pokemon was and stuff like that, and I really liked it. n___n; my first official game was Ruby, and then I got sapphire later on.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Ah, crap, I want to change my vote! T_T Didn't read the first post in its entirety at first glimpse... This is why I dislike polls sometimes; the wrong vote can be etched forever as long as the Internet exists and the only way it can be rectified is in a poor post explanation! :cer_cry:

Pertaining to the videogames, I started Generation III, after witnessing the epicness of Secret Bases. Seriously, that was the first feature to hook me to Sapphire.

As for the franchise as a whole? I started with Generation 1. Watched the anime on UPN beginning with the Original Series, viewing all of the original Pokemon. :) I also remember a relative having a Pikachu-themed Gameboy. Digimon lured me away and I became "pro-Digimon, anti-Pokemon" for a time. I (fondly/strangely) recall the offbeat U.S. commercials of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Versions that showcased Pokemon and people who looked like Pokemon. Oh, how I mocked them. :( (Granted, they're still a little quirky in retrospect compared to the slightly cooler Japanese and European commercials, but the concept was neat).

Anyway, I gradually assumed a "pro-Pokemon, pro-Digimon" stance, realizing that both franchises can coexist and live in harmony. :) I received Pokemon Sapphire along with my first GameBoy... I mean, just look at that amazing, striking, and gorgeous boxart that screams "epic marine-based adventure with uber-powerful Mons":

[Weekly Poll #6] What generation did you start with?

Anyway, I've been playing since then, and I have no plans to stop soon. ;) I anticipate exciting adventures in Black, White, and Gray Version as the dawn of Generation 5 (in the U.S.) is upon us! :cer_boogie:

JeXsus™

I don't need an avatar!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • NY
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    I started on the 1st Gen. And I quickly loved all of the Pokemon games afterward.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I've been playing since gen 1. :P I didn't get into it right away (didn't have a gameboy ;;) but I played Red before Yellow came out so... I'm pretty proud of that. And then I feel lame for feeling proud of something like that, haha. I got into the anime and tcg before I got a Gameboy Colour though.

Totally not reading much of this thread though. I don't want to feel old. :(

Nameless.

I'm an old-timer with a cane ready to show these kiddies how it's done.

I started with Red and Blue. I rented Red from Blockbuster when you could still rent the small games, and played for a whole week straight.
    Then later down the line I bought Blue. I guess they didn't have Red or something cause I know I didn't want Blue. :x

But yeah, OLD. ;_;

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    The video games; I started out with R/S/E, although I had started watching the anime long before that. It was only after the third generation came out that I felt like buying the games. But I'd already borrowed Gold from my friend before, and it was really exhilarating. It was only after R/S/E that I bothered leaping back in time to play the first and second gens. :D

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Generation I :3 I'm glad I've got to see the games evolve over the years.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I started with generation 1 as well. I got cards first and watched the anime too, then got into the games when my birthday/Christmas rolled around and my mom got me a gameboy color and pokemon blue. I was totally into it back in the day and had a lot of toys as well, many of which either got lost when we moved or I donated when I got bored and older in my teenage years. I was also into generation 2 but skipped generation 3 and only since last year got back into the swing of pokemon things with gen 4.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I was hooked on the first and second generation. After that, I sort of died down a little bit as far as being addicted to the games and series is concerned. I remember dying to get Sapphire, though, but I stopped paying attention to the anime after that point. I believe the first generation will always remain superior to the later generations, however, so nothing can compare to RBY days.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    I got into the anime and TCG when Gen I came out but never actually owned a played a game till Ruby and Sapphire so I voted Gen III

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I started with Gen.1 for the show the manga etc. except I'm ashamed to say that i started with gen.4 for the games because i didn't buy a gaming system until then.

Snopes

Veteran Newblette
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    As cliche as it sounds, I started with the 1st Gen. xD

Back