• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird Glitches you have come across?

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
    Years
    What kind of weird/out there glitches have you come across playing the games? Maybe something that you haven't seen discussed before?

Just the other week, I was playing Pokemon Red version on my Gameboy SP. I was using a level 43 Beedrill in battle, and it leveled up. However, the problem was it leveled "up" to 41. At first I thought I was going crazy, but then I checked the stats menu and noticed the max HP was below 100 (98 I think?), when I explicitly remembered it being 103 at the start of the battle. I was a bit freaked out so I decided to reset my game. When I started the game back up, my Beedrill was back to level 43, and the next level up worked like normal.

This is the first time I've come across such a "major" glitch in any Pokemon game, so I'm interested to see what other people have come across that aren't as "common".

Cid

Years
    I've never come across any unique glitches on my playthroughs. At least from what I can remember.

I have done the Mew on Nugget Bridge glitch deliberately on the first gen games, though! It's fun.

edit: Oh oh, and to complete my dex in Gold, I did the alchemy thing to turn my Exeggcute into a Celebi using a specific set of items in the PC as well as the Coin Case.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    When I played Red (Japanese cartridge) if my Pokémon was burned/poisoned and then afflicted with a multi-turn move (like Wrap) it would take the burn/poison damage twice in one turn, in addition to the damage from the multi-turn move.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    the first time i played sapphire, i was able to teach my pelipper the HM for dive. however, it's not supposed to be able to learn it. so for like 15 years, i still have it in the back of my mind that pelipper can learn dive lmfao. imagine my surprise the next playthrough and i couldn't teach it dive. another glitch i ran into was in ruby, and i think this one is fairly well known now, but there's an aroma lady to the right of mauville city below a cliff, but if she catches your line of sight, she'll see you and walk up the cliff to battle you.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    A couple of times in PMD, Pokemon transformed into other Pokemon and were really weird different colors. Example: I once fought a Togepi that glitched itself into a Ratata! And in a later PMD game, in Mt. Travail, two Heracross? were glitching into Hitmonchan, or maybe it was the other way around. The glitch ended when I defeated one of them, but needless to say I was bamboozled, and turned off the game.

One time, in Pokemon Platinum, when I was watching TV, gibberish symbols I had never seen before took over the dialogue box for two strings.

My Pokemon Pearl is honestly a scary glitch fest. I swear, it's possessed by some sort of evil spirit or something, specifically in the Veilstone City area. One time, while I was playing in the underground (this was a new save file) when I was reading the explorer kit note, the letter s looped for awhile until the dialogue finished. The next part of the dialogue had missing letters, too. Needless to say, it was really creepy. The game froze, obviously, it had become pretty confused, I'm sure.

...Also in a battle once time, Machop was buffeted by the --! But there was no weather effects on the field! Again, this froze the game. And by the way, these weren't normal types of game freezes. The music loops instead of becoming silent, so these glitches obviously confused my game.

I also randomly got the Acid Rain Glitch in Pokemon Platinum during a Double Battle in that Fog Tower I forget the name of.

These are all the ones I can honestly remember that happened randomly.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
    That one tile of Opelucid Gym in the original Black where your character can step off the black path and stand on nothing. Other people have reported this, but I still remember finding it myself by complete accident.

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
    Once when I was a kid, I was playing silver and had traveled to to the route south of goldenrod to catch Pokémon for the dex. I came across a ditto, which I needed, and it transformed into my bedrill. The first weird thing was that it retained its original color palette instead of copying beedrill's. This just made me want it more because after seeing the anime who wouldn't want a quirky ditto that transforms in an odd way?

After weakening it enough I started throwing pokeballs at it, like one does. I don't remember how many I threw it at, I just know that it broke out of every single poke, great, ultra, and apricorn ball I threw at it. Seeing as it broke out of everything I assumed it was an abnormally strong ditto, seein as how it's health was in the red and no ultra ball could even contain the beast. So, between blind child rage and the urge to capture the world's most powerful ditto, I pulled out my master ball. I threw the master ball, watched it wiggle a few times, and then poof. Master ball breaks. I'm pretty sure that's the only time I've ever thrown my gameboy across a room.

I restarted the game and searched for hours trying to find the elder god ditto to no avail. As a kid that angered me so much, but looking back now I'm glad that I got to see such a bizarre and rare glitch. And I'm also disappointed by the lack of purple-pink beedrill in the Pokémon world.

AbsoluteZeroGravity

Bug Catcher Zero
    Years
    One time I did a playthrough of Pokemon Yellow where I deliberately activated as many known glitches as possible, called it a "glitchthrough". Beat the game with a team of glitch pokemon. It was a lot of fun!

Back