• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Weirdly popular HGSS pokemon

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    When I first played HeartGold/SoulSilver, I don't even thnk I used a electric type. XD I used a Heracross though, and it is a really good Pokemon. :D On my second playthrough, I just traded over a Elekid egg and evolved it into Electivire. :P The only time I used Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos is Pokemon XD.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've found Geodude/Graveller/Golem has a special place in my team in Hg/Ss due to the ability to pwn the 1st 3 gym leaders. It did alright against Pryce with rollout. 2 hits for Seel, 1 hit each for Dewgong and Piloswine.

I would say if you have SoulSilver, catching a Skarmory would be useful, resisting Clair's team (Well, not Kingdra's Hydro Pump, but everything else is dragon or physical. I also tend not to use Mareep because I normally get a Slugma egg, then use a Geodude :P

Last edited:

Bear

Fascist baby.
    Years
    Mareep because they're great to have early on, especially against Falkner.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't use it against Falkner.

To me Ampharos was the quintessential GSC Pokemon. It was just one of those reliable favourites. Not so much with HGSS. Don't know why. In a sense Umbreon too, even though I didn't have one until HGSS.

Guess it has to do with the icon thing, like Pikachu.

Last edited:

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years

To me Ampharos was the quintessential GSC Pokemon. It was just one of those reliable favourites. Not so much with HGSS. Don't know why. In a sense Umbreon too, even though I didn't have one until HGSS.

Guess it has to do with the icon thing, like Pikachu.

I can't remember it either, but people here said that you can get Mareep's on route 32.

I could swear the first Mareep you can see is near Lake of Rage...

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2015
    I adore electric and dark types, so the popular ones for me were Pikachu/Zapdos(Red/Yellow), Ampharos/Umbreon (Gold/Silver), Manectric/Mightyena(Sapphire/Emerald), and Luxray/Alamos Darkrai(Diamond/Platinum). So, the fact that I had an ampharos throughout my gold/silver/crystal days was because its type and looks really caught my eye.

Heracross never appealed to me, so I never obtained one. I think the only bug Pokemon that fit my interests was scyther. I don't like scizor, though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010

Two things changed from Gold and Silver: first, in Route 32 they added a patch of grass before the Man who stops you from leaving Violet City, allowing you to catch a wild Mareep.

Second, by talking to Primo and using certain phrases with him (in the Pokecenter) you can get a Mareep, Wooper, and Slugma egg...the Slugma egg being the true prize, as its not otherwise available until MUCH later in the game.

Bear

Fascist baby.
    Years
    Two things changed from Gold and Silver: first, in Route 32 they added a patch of grass before the Man who stops you from leaving Violet City, allowing you to catch a wild Mareep.

Second, by talking to Primo and using certain phrases with him (in the Pokecenter) you can get a Mareep, Wooper, and Slugma egg...the Slugma egg being the true prize, as its not otherwise available until MUCH later in the game.

Wow, I didn't know that. :/ Can't say I agree with that decision, but k.

I never thought much of Heracross during either the GSC reign or currently. But I can understand its popularity, as I remember it featured greatly in the anime for a while.

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years

Wow, I just forgot about the eggs! Also with Primo you can change the backgrounds of boxes on the PC. I just found that after beating Red ¬¬

Anyway, you guys say you got a Heracross and it did great... WHERE did you catch a Heracross? I've been hitting trees all day, and nothing.

About Ampharos popularity: A friend of mine said it's just because it's cute xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    I've always liked Mareep since G/S/C. Because the sheep is so cute and powerful. But I had forgotten about it until HeartGold and SoulSilver, until recently just having bought the game and stumbling upon it. Now my love for Mareep has returned! And she looks even cuter following behind me!

I originally just had the current pokemon I was training to get at higher levels follow behind me, so it was always a different pokemon every while. But now, I find Mareep is always behind me.

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
    I used Mareep on my first playthrough on SS cos I figured Electric types would be useful (Used it till the end of the game too). I never knew you could catch mareep before defeating falkner so I traded a Bellsprout (I think) for Onix (Rocky) in-game lol. never ever used Heracross though..

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    Mareep is somewhat popular because it's one of the only Electric types to get before the Kanto area.
    But I didn't get Heracross, I did just fine.

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
    Years
    Yea I have noticed the Mareep too. I don't see why everyone thinks they are so great; I never used one -__-

Milk

ガットミルク
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Everyone uses Mareep cause its a lot easier to get and not to mention its pretty strong

Years
    I have yet to get a HG or SS, but I remember playing G/S/C and I had an Ampharos on my team. It pretty much kicked butt. Like someone said earlier, it has pretty good defenses, strong special attack, and isn't slow. I think that's a reason some people love having an Ampharos on their team.

And with Heracross, it is a very strong Pokémon. But I'm not going to pretend that I understand. I've never had the desire to have one on my team.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2010
    I had a mareep at first, and I kept it until it was like a level 37 Ampharos. I really liked it at first, but I guess I just got sick of it after a while so I dumped it in a box and haven;t touched it since.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2015
    I have always gone with Ampharos and Heracross. Other pokemon I like to pick up are Krabby and Poliwag.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i actually never caught a heracross till a couple weeks ago and i finshed the gmae months ago

Back