• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Were you a Pokémon fan before GO?

Were you a Pokémon fan before GO?

• Yes, I love Pokémon!

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • No, what's a Pokémon?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    There have been a lot of new members joining the forum recently because of Pokémon GO and many of them have been talking about how they don't have any experience with the Pokémon main series games and have only just joined the franchise because of GO. This made me curious of just how many GO players were Pokémon fans before playing GO and whether this game is enough to make them want to try out the main series games. As this is a Pokémon forum the ratio of fans to non-fans will obviously not be a good representation of the population but I'm mostly interested in hearing opinions from both sides about how well GO represents the fandom and how appealing Pokémon as a whole appears based on GO. So the question is simple:

Were you a Pokémon fan before playing Pokémon GO? If so, how do you feel GO represents the franchise? If not, what are your impressions of Pokémon and has GO gotten you into the main series games yet?

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I was definitely a fan before GO came out, and I'll still be a fan when the hype dies down.

While I think the game is really more of just the trendy thing to do right now, I think it represents the franchise just fine. It's brought a lot of excitement and joy that I remember from being a Pokémon fan as a kid. It's like reliving my childhood, really. While some things in the game might not currently be adhering to canon, such as no evolution stones and leveling by candy... I think the game does the franchise justice enough.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Yes, but I was somewhat falling out of love with the franchise again.

Initially I lost interest after Generation III, then I got back into it with the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver. Having not played them for a while, and with the release of Go, i'm now right back into the swing of things.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Yes, but I was somewhat falling out of love with the franchise again.

Initially I lost interest after Generation III, then I got back into it with the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver. Having not played them for a while, and with the release of Go, i'm now right back into the swing of things.
    The situation is pretty much the same for me - I was losing interest in Pokémon quite severely to the point where I hadn't picked up a game in many months but now I'm straight back into it all because of GO. I've started up with competitive battling again and obviously discussing Pokémon on forums and it's pretty much all because of GO rekindling that interest. Feels like it's back stronger than ever this time haha.

jimmy.

jimmy
    Years
  • I think the majority of Pokemon players that were introduced to the franchise because of GO don't have the passion to go on Pokemon forums. Therefore, this poll will likely be inaccurate.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I think the majority of Pokemon players that were introduced to the franchise because of GO don't have the passion to go on Pokemon forums. Therefore, this poll will likely be inaccurate.
    Mm I'm aware but like I said in the first post the idea isn't to get an accurate poll, I'm just interested in each side's thoughts on the topic. What I do find interesting is that around the GO section of this website I've seen several new members saying they've never played Pokémon games before and don't know anything about the mechanics/typings/etc so I'm curious to see how many of these people are around here and what they think about the franchise from GO.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2016
    There have been a lot of new members joining the forum recently because of Pokémon GO and many of them have been talking about how they don't have any experience with the Pokémon main series games and have only just joined the franchise because of GO. This made me curious of just how many GO players were Pokémon fans before playing GO and whether this game is enough to make them want to try out the main series games. As this is a Pokémon forum the ratio of fans to non-fans will obviously not be a good representation of the population but I'm mostly interested in hearing opinions from both sides about how well GO represents the fandom and how appealing Pokémon as a whole appears based on GO. So the question is simple:

Were you a Pokémon fan before playing Pokémon GO? If so, how do you feel GO represents the franchise? If not, what are your impressions of Pokémon and has GO gotten you into the main series games yet?

pokemon go reignited my interest in pokemon but i was a fan b4

notecard

please kill me
    Years
  • Same here, I stopped caring about Pokemon for a while but Pokemon Go made me interested again. Now I'm literally dedicating 100% of my free time to Pokemon-related stuff lol

Last edited:

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
  • I was the ultimate pokemon nerd, when I was introduced/given my first pokemon game. My cousin and I battled each other, and we payed fantasy pokemon. I wasn't fortunate enough to have all the collectibles he had, but he was nice enough to shard his hats cloths, pokeballs and charms. That's how we made pokemon real when we were little.

Now 12 years later, I'm still the same person with Pokemon Go making it easier to catch them all. <3

Years
  • I've been a fan since generation 1 :D

I must say that Pokemon Go is pretty cool and different in a good way from the main games. The biggest audience is probably the 20+ year olds with nostalgia :D

I think they should have gone more with the original combat system from the games and maybe they'll add something like that later, cause the current combat is kinda meh for me... I'm not a huge strategist on what comes to my pokemon playing, but the gym battles doesn't require any kind on planning or skill IMO. Also new players would get a better feel of what the main games are that way.

I've been focusing more on collecting pokemon and getting my pokemons stronger and evolved. With about 60 pokemons registered to pokedex I think I'm doing quite well. I don't have as much time and energy to play GO as I'd want :D

The thing I like the most about Pokemon Go is how it makes people go outside and connect with each other. Many players will gather at pokestops and put a lure and chat while playing making new friends and having a good time. I think that's the most awesome thing about Pokemon Go :)

Back