• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What about uncommonly used 'mon and their movesets?

Years
    I've seen a lot of movesets for commonly used pokemon. However, I am intrigued by some of the lesser used and likely lesser powered pokemon. What movesets would you use for them? Let's take Mawile and Kecleon as the first examples.
    What moveset would you use with Mawile? What role might it fill (annoyer/staller/pseudohazer/hazer.......)?
    What moveset would you use with Kecleon? What role might it fill?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to seeing what you think..... I would put my own up there, but I'm still quite the newbie and not ashamed to admit it. :laugh:

How 'bout making a real challenge by excluding Egg Moves?! Anyone up to it?

Last edited:

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    I already have two fairly underused monsters in my party. Swalot and Grumpig. I'm actually thinking of adding Mawile for my fifth.

Mawile [Adamant] Atk: 252, Def: 252, HP: 6

Swords Dance
    Brick Break
    Ancientpower
    Poison Fang/Return

His rubbish Special Defence wouldn't have him lasting as a staller/annoyer for very long ;).

Fake Tears could help him become an average Special Attacker too (Ice Beam/Crunch/Flamethrower), but I think that's all a bit too much for the little, err, thing, to handle.

Also, the king of underused/underpowered Pokemon, Nosepass. Some extremely lame Attack stats, abismal Speed/HP and great Defence. I suppose Explosion is all the guy's mainly fit for. That and inflicting paralysis with Thunder Wave.

Nosepass [Calm] Defence: 252, Special Defence: 252, Attack: 6

Thunder Wave
    Explosion
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake

Underuseds own. :cool:

[EDIT] Calm would lower it's Attack even more. Whoops. Whichever nature boosts Sp Def and minuses Sp Atk then.

Last edited:
    Years
    Thanks, Lucifer. I thought about the Fake Tears route and Icebeam/Flamethrower, etc. Especially if Egg Moves are excluded.....

Anyone else have a moveset for Mawile and Kecleon?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Egg moves excluded is quite... weird o.o;
    There are plenty of UU/NU out there... and they'll be needing every single egg move they can possibly get in order to survive.

I'm definitely not good enough to use NU/UU though... I'm afraid I can't help you on this one. I have difficulties winning with some pretty standard Pokemon on NB =/

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Kecleon can? use Trick and get off the choice band, and you can add focus punch if you expect them to switch to dodge it.

Red Storm

The Evil Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I liked under used pokemon myself. Anyone have some moveset ideas for the following Spinda, Roselia, Volbeat/Illumise, and Shiftry? I was thinking about placing Wigglytuff on the team I was working on now. With the ev training now, do you go physical attack or go special attack for Wigglytuff?

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    The problem with getting Egg moves in the age of R/S is that it's so tedious. If you wanted a Mawile with Ancientpower, then you have to keep hatching eggs until you get the right sex, nature and ability. Whereas in G/S you only had to worry about the gender. It usually gets to the point where I'll settle for the next-best nature just to get on with it.

Anyway:

Shiftry [Modest]

Faint Attack
    Giga Drain
    Leech Seed/Toxic
    Extrasensory

Shiftry [Adamant]

Shadow Ball
    Brick Break
    Return/Leech Seed/Toxic
    Explosion

Years
    I'm enjoying this, thank you!

Shiftry was another that intrigues me. I find I'm more interested in non-Uber, non-legendary which seems to be unusual with many of the teams I see posted.

How's this for Mawile(btw, I'm thinking more in-game than NB for these Movesets):
    Swords Dance
    Sludge Bomb
    HP Steel (tricky to get, I'm sure)/Return/Facade
    Sandstorm/Ancient Power

Or: (basically what Lucifer already pointed out)
    Fake Tears
    Icebeam
    Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Crunch

Also: Is it possible to set up Focus Punch for Mawile? I did not see a way....
    And Shiftry, would Shiftry work with a combo of Rest and the ability of Early Bird or is that too unreliable?

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    I suppose. With Early Bird, Rest becomes like a two-turn full recovery move. But bare in mind Shiftry's a part Grass-type, and most Pokemon have a strong move to KO a Grass in a few turns.

Until FR/LG arrive with Substitute, Mawile can only Focus Punch with Attract, which isn't 100% reliable. Or Double Team of course. :cool:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Shiftry is actually a very powerful UU. Both of its nature is an awesome abililty.

Shiftry- [atk + / sp.atk -] @ lum berry (sunny day) / quick claw (non sunny day)
    EV: (depends... very flexible depending on strategy)
    -extrasensory
    -3 of the following: sunny day, swords dance, explosion, brick break, quick attack, rest, aerial ace

Too much stuff to do... and the stats aren't all that bad.

Spinda... Err.... I do have a strategy in mind but the stats won't be agreeing with me...

Spinda- [def or sp.def + / atk-] @ leftovers
    EV: distribute them in any defensive manner you want, in HP/def/sp.def
    -teeter dance
    -protect
    -wish
    -toxic

If extra attack power is needed to take care of natural cure users, use seismic toss somewhere (but have fun against recover o.o; )

Roselia with levle balance is quite strong actually... it's just a weaker version of Sceptile with spike and aromatherapy. Horrid defense and weird stats, with one of the best movepool ever

Roselia @ leftovers/quick claw (Natural Cure)
    EV:
    -leech seed
    -protect/substitute
    -ingrain
    -spike

NOTE: super low defensive stats do not really support this at all... but however I'll imagine that it'll be fun to play. EV and nature are not supported because... you'll be needed some creativity to think of how this thing can ever survive a hit ^_^; You can also go with a sweeping Roselia with mixed abilities (its attack isn't all that bad, just the defense... ;_; )

Volbeat and Illumise both can't do much again due to stats... best to go with annoyer?... Tail Glow is awesome... but it'll take some major luck to survive 2 rounds of attacks after using tail glow (it's really not that fast even though that is the best stat it has)

Volbeat- [spd or sp.def+ / sp.atk -] @ lum berry/quick claw/leftovers
    EV: Spd and Sp.def, some hp
    -thunderwave
    -light screen
    -confuse ray
    -seismic toss/silverwind/signal beam/quick attack

Illumise- [spd or sp.def+ / atk-] @ lum berry/quick claw/leftovers
    -wish
    -attract
    -thunderwave
    -thunderbolt/HP (special)

Hmm it just looks like a weaker version of Plusle/Minun to me, who are a weaker version of Raichu...

Mawile- [def + / sp.atk or atk-] @ leftovers/lum berry/quick claw (Intimidate)
    EV: Hp and Def
    -iron defense/swords dance
    -baton pass
    -fire blast/rock slide
    -counter/toxic

*shrug* With defense boost and iron defense, it may work out to stall physical attacks not too bad (as long as there's no STAB quake/brick break... ahem). Fire blast for anti Skarm/something to do against Wheezing. Baton pass is always helpful.

Vash

I'm fresh in my white tee
    Years
    i need one for TentaCruel lvl 40. Currently:
    Barrier
    Acid
    Surf
    Ice beam

NOTE: I am just at Mosdeep

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I?d give Wiggly counter, but that?s just me~

VanirElf

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    here's what I use for my Corsola, it's not a commonly used pokemon, but
    I think it's pretty cool looking, so I use it whenever I can.

Corsola (female)
    -Brave-
    Toxic
    Attract
    Mirror Coat
    Ancient Power

I've been thinking however of removing Mirror Coat and teaching it
    rest, but it's stats aren't so great so...I don't really know if I should
    but yeah, here's my Corsola Moveset.

lil' jose

what ball do you like?
    Years
    I use Mightyana. Not too oftenly used... I think *looks around self suspicioulsy* ^_^ My Mightyana: Brave Route 101 Blackglasses Crunch, Shadow Ball, Roar, and Poision Fang... So how do you like me now?

Years
    Well Shadow Ball and Crunch together...

And Tentacruel...Another member oof the Blissey/Snorlax group...Sky-High Sp. Defense...

Tentacruel@Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    Surf
    Barrier
    Rest
    Toxic

I prefer him as a Staller...

As for Counter on Wigglytuff, Wiggly cant resist any Physical attack (exept for Blissey's Pound like Frostweaver suggested) so why use Counter (trust me, no more Counter on Wiggly since he got OHKO'd by a Dugtrio's Magnetude 7)?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    If Wiggly is using counter, then max hp and max defense automatic. With 400+ hp at your disposal, it's gurantee doom if counter succeeds (just like how blissey has counter too at times).

Tentacruel is nowhere close to the blissey/snorlax rank. Blissey/Snorlax can stall out physical moves a bit too (provided no STAB fighting moves). Blissey can self heal and armoatherapy, and even thunderwave. Snorlax can sweep easily. Tentacruel just can't do too much as its hp isn't high enough to stall out sp.def (and being weak to psychic and electric doesn't help).

stewie&rupert

the evil Senior Member
    Years
    wat about:
    sableye
    cacturn
    luvdisc
    castform
    linoone
    shedinja

those r 'some' of the underused pkmn in r/s.

i put cacturn and linoone there so i can have 2 powerful shinys.

cacturn-quiet
    sandstorm
    neddle arm
    faint atk
    and wen frlg comes out: revenge

linoone-hardy
    headbutt
    ???
    ???
    ???

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Linoone is actually NOT that underpowered...

Linoone- [spd or atk + / sp.atk -] @ liechi/salac berry
    EV: Atk and Spd max!
    -belly drum
    -extremespeed
    -shadowball
    -HP Ground/Sub

Luvdisc- don't ask me how to use this crappy thing... ask Kairi for this one as she beat a Salamence with Luvdisc *crazy*

Cacturne- [def or sp.def + / sp.atk -] @ leftovers/quick claw?
    EV: defensive EVs
    -destiny bond
    -spike
    -leech seed
    -protect

not sure... GREAT movepool but crappy stats for all those supportive type movepools

Shedinja- [atk + / def -] @ lum berry
    EV: Atk and Spd
    -shadowball
    -aerial ace
    -silver wind
    -protect

As if there are any other sets anyway XD;

Sableye- [def or sp.def + / sp.atk -] @ leftovers
    EV: defensive EVs
    -toxic
    -confuse ray
    -recover
    -shadowball/seismic toss/knock off

*shrug* I don't know...

Castform- [sp.atk + / atk -] @ quick claw?
    EV: (dunno...)
    -weather ball
    -sunny day
    -solarbeam
    -thunderbolt/thunderwave

The attacks are easy to make... just the stats manipulation that's hard...

Back