• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What annoyed you the most in R/B/Y

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    The continuous backtracking, like when you finished off Lt. Surge, then had to go through Diglett Cave to get the horribly useless HM Flash, then had to walk back to Cerulean, then through the Rock Tunnel. So much pointless backtracking. So many Zubats.

Bad Egg

An error
    Years
  • Trapping moves... Just hope you have higher speed.
    Waking up takes a turn.
    Item limit. It was a bigger problem in gen 2 though.
    Phychic type being weak only to bug type. And attacking moves of bug type are very rare.
    Opening menu to use HMs. This was more of problem to Twitch plays Pokemon though.
    And also, by the way, Mew is event pokemon and is not required to get with glitch. Unless you missed event, that is.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Let's see I replayed Yellow so...

No inventory space: It sucks and I can have almost nothing in my bag that I want.

No EXP Bar: How the hell am I supposed to know when I reach a level?

Bad AI: No comment here. It just really sucks that it always either chooses stupid moves or is surprisingly on point.

The glitches: Ah. Some of these glitches are wonderful like Missingo and Mew. Others? They can GTFO. Focus Energy that doesn't raise your critical hit ratio, but cuts it? Wrap which traps you forever until it's done? RAGE?!!! Can we talk about how you can easily be locked into this thing if you aren't careful enough? Seriously, even in it's time, issues like this could've been fixed to be better!( or at east, not as annoying)

Psychic and Bug Types: Why? Why does Alakazam have to be so cruel? Why do bugs barely have any good moves? Why do they both have to suck to deal with.

Can't evolve Pikachu to Raichu in Yellow. Nuff said.

Sirfetch’d

The bag limit and not being able to preview TMs were both quite annoying :( Also having to manually change boxes...

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2017
    The fact some of the Flying type Pokemon couldn't be able to learn FLY from the HM until Yellow release (Charizard for instance.)
    Since I now play it on a emulator, I can edit the moves using Rhydon.exe (Even if it's cheating, it makes sense for a winged Pokemon.), but hey, at least it's not fully restricted (Able to trade a Flying Charizard from Yellow Version to Red/Blue Version without any problem on the Gameboys.)

And many slight coding errors including the attack moves and if I'm not mistaken, FOCUS ENERGY is actually worse than SPLASH (Ends up lowering the critical rate?)
    But any of these mistakes is not enough to break our love to this classic.

Love is based of what you know.

pkmin3033

My screen jumping about like crazy and making a sound like a frog being run over every step I took whenever I was poisoned out of battle. I had absolutely no idea what was causing that as a youngster; I freaked right out and thought I'd broken my game somehow. Even older, I find it very annoying.

They smoothed the effect out in later generations, but in the first it was highly disruptive.

Schizii

Always tired.
    Years
  • -Limited space.
    -Most of the "common" pokemon. The rares and uncommons were cool. I hated Rattata, Pidgey, Geodude, etc.
    -Pikachu. Never liked him.
    -Lack of rematch.
    -Exp. share, since it was introduced in Gen 2. Grinding some pokemon were difficult.

Back