• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What annoyed you the most in R/B/Y

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
  • Mt. Moon on the first visit was a nightmare, Zubats were everywhere and a pain to battle. Most of the time I could never run away and supersonic.
    Wrap was so broken back then.
    Limited bag space

Years
  • I have always hated Navigating through Mt Moon without repels because of all the annoying wild zubat appeared messages that just poped up all of the time

Oh and the limited bag space is a rather annoying thing Always running out of room when i find the item i want.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • The lack of moves.
    Tbh you won't feel that way when you first play RBY decades back, but having played the downloaded one, I feel the serious lack of good moves-- It started making me dislike Charizard in Pokemon Yellow. It was much easier training Vulpix to learn higher level Fire-type moves than Charizard.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    For me, the most annoying thing of RBY was that Psychic types were immune to Ghost type moves due to some kind of bug, so the only way to hit them super effectively was with Bug type moves. And even so, your best bets were Beedrill, which dies to Psychic type moves anyway, and Jolteon, which has Pin Missile, which is so weak that you're better off not bothering with it.

Also the limit of items you can store in the PC. Limited bag space is kinda understandable even though it's annoying, but if you can't store anything in the PC anymore, then there's a huge problem.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • I never find Rock Tunnel too difficult without flash, I guess years of playing the games have got me used to knowing where to go

I mainly dislike broken moves, and bad movesets (through lack of an extensive Gen1 movepool)

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • I'm sure many in the thread already pointed out the limited space and certain moves. I would like to add another, although it's completely biased.

I was first introduced to Yellow with an emulator, so I had the godly power to speed up the game to insane amounts. That became the norm for me, so playing the original games without that power really annoyed me.

Years
  • It takes constant vigilance to avoid being locked into moves you don't want.

When I am pressured to decide whether or not to delete an old move in order to make room for a new one I bite my nails in gen 1, petrified with indecision, knowing my choice is going to be final in many cases. There is no move reminder to help your pokemon get back a move that you miss.

This can also spell trouble for wild Pokemon if they were obtained at a higher level and have forgotten a move from an earlier level that was important.

Even leaving your Pokemon at day care can be a nerve racking affair because you have no way to prioritize moves, leaving you with no control over which move the instructor deletes if they gain enough levels to acquire a new one while you are gone. Meanwhile I have to breathlessly race back to Cerulean City praying that its not too late.

The permanence of Hms moves is just sadistic. Has anyone ever taught a Pokemon in their party an Hm move for convenience? Say you were at an unexpected area where you needed strength to get by. Or instead perhaps you had a low level Pokemon without any good moves who could benefit from a generic him move like fly until their good stuff came in many levels later... yeah don't do it unless you are sure that you would be happy with this move from now until doomsday.

Years
  • I think what brothers me the most about gen 1 is the item management. The limited bag is sort of a given knowing how old this game is but the PC isn't much better. I even skip useless key items such as the Map, the Old and Good rods to levitate this issue.

Even older RPGs like the NES versions of Dragon Quest 3 and 4 have a storage system that can carry an unlimited amount of items(which helps a lot since you can only carry 8 items pre party member). I'm not so sure why the PC is so limited in comparison expect for the fact that Game Freak were very inexperience with programming at the time. Unlike most Dragon Quest games, at least you can top off items such as Potions and Poke Balls ect. It makes gen 1's clunky item management a little more manageable to say at least.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • The Encounter rates were really tedious in the original games. Try going 5 steps, even on a Bike, without encountering a wild Zubat or something like that, ugh. Oh, another thing was the cave's darkness. Without flash, it's basically pitch black in caves like the Rock Tunnel. No joke. D;

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
    1. No EXP bar.
    2. Tunnels are really long with ridiculous Zubat / Geodude encounter rates.
    3. Bag is crapola, hold almost nothing and there is no organization (one of the best improvements to the later gens IMO).
    4. Storage box sucks.

Back