• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What annoyed you the most in R/B/Y

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2016
    - Wrap, Fire Spin, Clamp etc.

- Sleep because of fact that you can't move on the same turn you wake up and your opponent can make you sleep again on that same turn.

- Limited space in the bag and PC. I like how you can put key items in the PC, but some of them are only used once so you're stuck with them throughout the whole game thus taking up space.

-You can't rematch trainers so if you've beat them all but you still need exp, you have to fight wild Pokemon which makes level grinding long and boring.

All 4 of these.

Also to add:
    -single turn repetitive attacks like fury attack, barrage, etc. Always low damage and always a waste of time to watch. Just get it over with so it can be my turn!

-literally no way to thaw your pokemon in a battle other than items (useless in link battles) or to hope your opponent is dumb enough to use a fire move

-dumb CPU AI. using dream eater when you're awake. using confuse ray when you're already confused. using mirror move at the start of a battle. I always thought the game should have had a harder mode where the AI made smarter decisions.

-safari zone based on steps not time. so i can stand in the same spot and fish for dratini till i run out of safari balls, but walking around trying to find a kangaskhan, scyther/pinsir, or a tauros, i'm probably likely to run out of time without using a single safari ball once i have all the nidorans/paras/rhyhorns and that's all i encounter in the wild.

-that when you closed a menu in Bill's PC, it took you back to the computer main menu instead of to the pokemon in that box. I like/liked checking the stats of my pokemon (especially doing the box trick) without withdrawing them. Once I checked them and hit cancel, I had to load the list of pokemon in that box again all over. Plus if you used the release option, it wouldn't let you see the stats at all. so basically you had to deposit someone just to view stats of pokemon in the computer, even if you didn't plan to take them out.

-lack of endgame material. after you beat the elite 4, went through the unknown dungeon, all you could do was keep battling the elite 4 or wild pokemon. Would have been cool to have the option to battle the other gym leaders too at your whim (with their pokemon leveled up of course).

But all in all they were still great games.

Years
  • 1. Rock Tunnel - My God, this place was the worst. I would be blasting through the game and forget to take Flash. Before I go on, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE FLASH! Don't punish yourself, just get flash from the NPC on Route 2. It will make your life a hell of a lot easier. B-b-but what are you talking about MMH?!?! Why would I really need flash?? Well thanks for asking. You won't be able to see almost anything if you enter without Flash, and you will hit so many walls and walk into so many unexpected trainers that it's ridiculous. . Rock Tunnel was the bane of my Gen 1 days, and luckily enough I remembered to grab the HM on my way through Route 2 (on the VC Release). I suggest you guys go back and do the same if you haven't hit Rock Tunnel yet.

Speedrunners can go through the tunnel without flash, they have to memorise the path and where the required trainers are to progress. Really cool stuff.

I didn't really have many problems with this game but my biggest annoyance was the rival fights. When I first ever played he'd show up unexpectedly.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Just to add to all the things people have already brought up: If your Pokémon was Burned/Poisoned and caught in a multi-turn trapping move, they would take Burn/Poison damage twice per turn--once in the beginning, and again after the trapping move activated. Like... what??

How some Pokeballs can miss Pokemon especially legendaries. Even if they're ultra balls.
    Even the Master Ball has a chance to miss in gen 1.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2016
    Just to add to all the things people have already brought up: If your Pokémon was Burned/Poisoned and caught in a multi-turn trapping move, they would take Burn/Poison damage twice per turn--once in the beginning, and again after the trapping move activated. Like... what??

Toxic + Wrap = Rekt.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    easy. The fact that your pokémon don't auto-heal when you send them to the computer hahaha. It was so incredibly annoying to remember to go to the PC first all the time, just to make sure that the last thing you did before leaving a pokémon center always was to heal up.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Ok, so in FireRed (sorta counts I think) I was using cheat codes and walked through walls, I went to Saffron City and it was all glitchy.

1. The sprites for R/B, Yellow's sprites were way better.

Years
  • -bag is full-
    -encounters awesome Pokémon, PC is full, has to flee because no other choice-

Oh lawdy these things were horrible. The bag especially, since all items you got were lumped into a single section and took up all of your space too quickly.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • My biggest pet peeve was probably string lengths. The fact you had so few characters you could input as Pokemon Names was so annoying at times and limited creativity of pokemon names.

Secondly of course was how overpowered the status conditions were. You're Paralyzed? Hahah Good luck!~ Poisoned? Hahaha! DIE as you walk! Frozen? Nope, you're stuck that way a while! HAHAHA! Burned? Heeeheeeheee your attacks tickle~! Asleep? Heh, let me slap you until you wake up! XD

Years
  • I'd have to say that the item limit was my biggest annoyance.

No running shoes, I almost feel spoiled once the later games introduced the running shoes, and not having them in gen I, made the game feel so much slower than what it actually was.

HAVING TO SWITCH BOXES. AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT ARE SENT TO A BOX YOU HAVE TO ACTIVELY SWITCH IT BEFORE YOU CAN SEND MORE.

How much you had to grind in yellow before fighting Brock, knowing that you'll get rekt unless you just spend hours leveling up your pokemon.

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I agree with some of the others on these, like Flash and Sleep/Wrap spam. Although I cant really stay mad at Wrap specifically because my Dratini helped vs the Insane first Gym Leader in TRE. Glitches are amazing tho, other than the game breaking ones I love learning how it happens and stuff so I cant agree there.

The type chart being weird with the Ghosts and Poisons and Psychics... Ugh I already cant remember most type advantages but Gen I confuses me more.

The Seafoam Islands are optional so I always forget about them and never get to use Dewgong and stuff there that I like because I NEVER REMEMBER TO GET ONE.

The bag being so small means i have to manage it more than normal and it gets difficult to decide what to throw away instead of sell because im in the middle of a cave or something but the other item was an X Battle item and not worth it.

The slooow speed, but thats just me. Gen IV is annoying for that too tbh.

Non-deletable HMs was the worst probably, so if you teach your Charmander Cut good luck....

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Non-deletable HMs were a bit of a pain after you completed the main game (or even during it) yeh haha. I made a point in Yellow of giving charizard Fly, Blastoise Surf and Venusaur Cut. And regretting it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    Non-deletable HMs were a bit of a pain after you completed the main game (or even during it) yeh haha. I made a point in Yellow of giving charizard Fly, Blastoise Surf and Venusaur Cut. And regretting it.
    I would have done that, but not regretted it :/

Years
  • giving Charizard Fly

LIES! Ohohoho! Although you could in Yellow, you couldn't in Blue or Red Versions. That was pretty funny.

I always thought that not being able to delete HMs was frustrating, and using Surf. Using Surf and Strength were by far my least favorite moments in Pokémon Blue Version. This was me: "I USE REPEL ALL THE TIME. AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK"

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I am posting to agree on the Magikarp thing. Yeah, you dont have to, but it could be bad if you werent sure what it was.

Still, Magikarp can be effective if it evolvs! It can take on lots of things easily.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • The encounter rate. I hate running into a Zubat every two steps. I'm convinced they lowered the encounter rate for later games.

User19sq

PC Storage Boxes. The biggest reason why I haven't bought the Virtual Console versions...

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I'm playing Blue on Virtual Console currently and something happened yesterday that I've never experienced before but was really really really REALLY ****ing annoying!

I encountered a wild Jigglypuff and wanted to catch it so I switched my Wartortle out for Spearow because I was worried Wartortle would take it out in one hit, being 11 levels higher. Jigglypuff used Sing and put Spearow to sleep and that was the only move it had so I thought, no worries, it won't do any damage while Spearow's asleep. The problem is, in Pokemon Blue, when your Pokemon is asleep you can't attack in the turn it wakes up. As we are all accustomed to these days, you select your move and then find out if your Pokemon will wake up. But in Blue it doesn't let you select a move. Clicking on "FIGHT" takes you straight to "Spearow is fast asleep", and then the opposing Pokemon moves. So when Spearow finally woke up, Jigglypuff put it straight to sleep again without me being able to get the first move in. This happened 7 times in a row before it finally missed on the waking up turn and I was able to get a Peck in. But then I tried a Poke Ball and it broke free, meaning it put me back to sleep again and I had to wait for Spearow to wake up and then it missed again so I got another Peck in and FINALLY caught it with the next Ball. So it took me about 15 minutes to catch a poxy level 7 Jigglypuff! [insert rage face meme here]

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Going through caves without repels seems much more tedious in the first gen games than later. I can't remember exactly if you're able to get Repels beforehand, but Mt. Moon always irritated me with it being so long winded and full of Geodude/Zubat.

Back