• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    FireRed hacks.
    End of. I hate everything about FireRed. I hate everything about the fanboys who hack firered because everyone else and their mum is doing it.

Im also out to prove that not ALL fakemon are bad.

Everyone doesn't hack Fire Red because everyone else is doing it. Some people legitamitely like Fire Red better. For example the support for at least two regions, VS Seeker (over that God awful Trainer Eyes nonsesne.), the item pictures, the fact that it has ALL the trainer sprites from r/s and many other goodies. Ruby has very few advantages over Fire Red. Emerald has some too but not many. Overall Fire Red is just a better engine to some.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Everyone doesn't hack Fire Red because everyone else is doing it. Some people legitamitely like Fire Red better. For example the support for at least two regions, VS Seeker (over that God awful Trainer Eyes nonsesne.), the item pictures, the fact that it has ALL the trainer sprites from r/s and many other goodies. Ruby has very few advantages over Fire Red. Emerald has some too but not many. Overall Fire Red is just a better engine to some.
    FireRed has:
    *Up to 4 regions possible
    *Vs Seeker
    *137 Trainer Sprites
    *Only 9 OW palettes
    *Trainer Tower
    *Fame Checker
    *Item pictures
    *You don't have to press A to exit a message, you could just walk away
    *Less block space (but more actual 8x8 tiles than R/S/E)
    *A slow bike that sucks
    *Probably some other stuff...

Emerald has:
    *Only 1 region
    *Match Call
    *92 Trainer Sprites
    *About 24 OW palettes
    *Trainer Tower
    *Battle Frontier
    *Sprite Animations
    *When you battle an enemy Team member, the logo of their team appears before the battle, which is kinda cool, and it's possible to hack that logo to a custom team
    *You don't need ASM to make your evil Team have different battle music
    *More battle music
    *The entire soundtrack of Ruby/Sapphire AND FireRed/LeafGreen, meaning A LOT more songs
    *RTC
    *Underwater
    *More items
    *Item pictures
    *A LOT more map names
    *Contests
    *More block space (but less actual 8x8 tiles than FR/LG)
    *A slow bike that sucks
    *A fast bike that doesn't suck
    *Probably some other stuff...

Now on-topic, another thing that bugs me about hacks is unchanged music. Yeah, that could be easily argued, since a lot of hackers don't even bother with that, IMO, if your hack doesn't take place in the Kanto or Hoenn regions, then there's no need for Kanto/Hoenn music.

Also I don't like it when people re-use existing enemy teams from the official games (Team Rocket, Magma, Aqua, and Galactic, and in the future, probably Plasma), without explaining why they're even there.

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
    Tools used

AdvanceMap
    A-Starter (seriously...)
    A-Text
    A-Trainer
    Some other random tools

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Tools used

AdvanceMap
    A-Starter (seriously...)
    A-Text
    A-Trainer
    Some other random tools
    XSE (I don't think it's a bad thing to use this one, just make sure you know how to edit scripts without it too)

Mapping takes hours without advance map, I've tried and gave up after, like, 3 rows lol.

I hate people using advance text and advance starter though :|

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
    Hacks that are made by just using tools with no effort whatsoever.

Basically, 95% of GBA hacks.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
    Ok, you could argue that Hex editors are tools, and that mapping is incredibley time consuming and boring without a visual editor. But apart from those tools, you aren't technically hacking if you use other's tools.

I quote from CBM: "The real hackers are the ones who created the tools"

Peace.

Years
    Ok, you could argue that Hex editors are tools, and that mapping is incredibley time consuming and boring without a visual editor. But apart from those tools, you aren't technically hacking if you use other's tools.

I quote from CBM: "The real hackers are the ones who created the tools"

Peace.

And people have had this arguement countless times before, and it will never change.
    Hacking with tools, is easier. Simple as. Yes, it means the people who use them are lazy and so on. It doesn't mean all hacks made with tools are bad or anything. That's life, some people are lazy, it sucks, but tough shizz.

Anyway, to all those dissing Fakemon... Generalising (word?) is bad. Look at Sienna, that has some smashing Fakemon. And yes, the Fakemon of Quartz left a lot to be desired, but damn, 386 new Pokemon is nothing to be sniffed at. Sure, they could have been better, but effort went into them.

To actually get on topic here, the things I dislike about hacks are:
    1. The lack of English-language RSE hacks. Not saying that because I'm doing a Ruby hack, just in general.
    2. Hacks with silly names. "Pokemon- Search for the missing Lunatone" or "Pokemon- Wrath of the evil Darkrai that you'll see within the first two minutes". Short and sweet is often the way to go, IMO. Exceptions here are Destinedjagold's hacks, because the names apply to a decent story.
    3. Stories that stray too far from the original formula. Of course, some hacks do this, and are epic because of it, but others try to bring certain real-life elements to the story without making an effort to adjust it to a Pokemon universe. I'd give an example, but I've said alot already, lol.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    My pet-peeves are:

When a hack makes no attempt to do anything innovative.
    Like you look in the features section and the most innovative thing is "new region!". I mean there are somethings you can add to the hack to make it more unique.

Also I dislike lazy map edits, though I have not seen too many of those since the demise of the scrapbox.

This is more for the fans:
    I dislike when there are a trillion post asking for a release date.
    It'll get there when it gets there.

I dislike when people generalize that spritemon instantly suck.
    Like really just because we had a few games with TERRIBLE spirtemon doesn't mean they ALL suck.

Also going with what I don't like about fans:
    Are when people instantly casts away a hack because of its base (like the current backlash on Fire Red or the shunning of GBC Hacks)
    It's called personal preference folks. To be honest some of the best hacks are of GBC games (-> Prism <-).

I believe that is all for now...

PS: I hate with a burning passion when a hack uses 123billion tools when A-Map, XSE, and UNLZ are really all that are necessary. Though one could argue the importance of NSE.

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
    The first page could be classified as a Quartz-haters group...

O.K. The things that annoy me in hacks:

1. BAD Fakemon.
    If the fakes are made well (Ex. Ruby Destiny Series), then they are acceptable. If it looks like MissingNo. got hit by a speeding semi and then got painted, then it needs to be removed from the internet.
    2. GRAMMAR ERRORS.
    Is it really so hard to open MS Word, write the script, spell check it, and then copy/paste into XSE/[insert script editor here]? I think that people that put tokin' liek dis!!1! in their hacks would fall under this category, right after falling on their heads.
    3. Bad Storyline.
    I don't want to play Fire Red (or FireRed as I've seen before) with some new pretty colors and tile errors (see section 4 - Tile Errors) in them. Find some originality, and then come back.
    4. Tile Errors.
    Isn't it nice to be walking around a dirt road, and the dirt comes to a solid line stop - No. If you're mapping (see section 5 - Bad Maps) and you don't have the decency to make sure the tiles look right, then you need some mapping tutorial time.
    5. Bad Mapping.
    I don't like seeing an orchard on the side of every route I go on. Trees DO NOT grow in straight lines naturally. I have never in my life (14 years and counting) seen a square lake or pond.
    6. Unneeded swearing.
    This one has been spoken for itself. "F***in' kids!" is completely unnecessary. However, maybe a few times, in one-time only scripts preferably, a damn would be acceptable. I have no problem with hell, but under the same rules as damn. It only decreases professionalism by having everybody cuss every twelfth word like we do in real life. These games are based off of kids games, and there needs to be some things that stay the same.
    7. Bad tiles.
    I don't want the classic grass to look like it's been trampled to a square shape. It doesn't take much to look out a window, and see how grass naturally looks.
    8. Unnecessary errors by laziness.
    If you don't have enough care in you to make sure that beating [insert trainer name here] returns you to the route with a bunch of psychedelic colors all over the place, or the accursed black-screen. Then you need to either pass the project, or stop.
    9. Theft
    It's illegal, why not in ROM hacking? I don't want to see Shiny Gold remade with crappy changes.
    That's all I can think of for now about the hacks themselves.
    Now for the awaiting beta-testers/players/stalkers

1. Repetitive "When is da beta be releesed?"
    Don't call us, we'll call you. (Credit: alvinartwork)
    2. Destructive criticism. (Ex. "This hack sucks and you should quit now")
    Haven't you been told to help others and build, not destroy?
    And that's all I can think of at this moment.

[/rant]

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Heh, Coolboyman made a great thread about this. I agree with him.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=211307
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125815

This is a great thread- https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132094 (Deserves HotY)

I am remaking "Ripped Universe" in Gold for a reason. (I never got far, anyway) Because I want to learn HEX. Heck, I use GoldMap, Tile Layer Pro, and HEX Workshop. Maybe Translhextion and, if I get really lazy, I'll write a town-map editor. I even use GoldFinger at times, when I don't want more features but simplicity.

Last edited by a moderator:

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
    Things that annoy me... hm.

- Errors(unless a fix patch is imminent).
    - Too easy to progress.
    - No purpose for it being made.
    - Progression of the hack was stopped with barely any changes.
    - If there are Fakemon, TAKE THEM OUT! The more ideas are thought about, the more they suck. Originality starts failing after too many ideas. Let Gamefreak make Pokemon. That is, unless, your spriting skills and originality are impeccable.

etc.

Also, would anyone be interested in a FireRed hard mode hack? I'm in the process of making one.

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Things that annoy me... hm.

- Errors(unless a fix patch is imminent).
    - Too easy to progress.
    - No purpose for it being made.
    - Progression of the hack was stopped with barely any changes.
    - If there are Fakemon, TAKE THEM OUT! The more ideas are thought about, the more they suck. Originality starts failing after too many ideas. Let Gamefreak make Pokemon. That is, unless, your spriting skills and originality are impeccable.

etc.

Also, would anyone be interested in a FireRed hard mode hack? I'm in the process of making one.

what influenced your decision about that? Topaz, Quartz maybe?
    Well heres a suggestion, play other hacks.
    Hacks shouldnt be shunned for including fakemon, based off opinions on 2 hacks with poor quality ones.
    Fakemon are sometimes what makes a good hack.

i find it disgusting and insulting that you categoricly dismiss a hack which shows creativity by including fakemon.

just... no.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    what influenced your decision about that? Topaz, Quartz maybe?
    Well heres a suggestion, play other hacks.
    Hacks shouldnt be shunned for including fakemon, based off opinions on 2 hacks with poor quality ones.
    Fakemon are sometimes what makes a good hack.

i find it disgusting and insulting that you categoricly dismiss a hack which shows creativity by including fakemon.

just... no.

I don't hate hacks with Fakemon, I see it as a plus, but most of the times- the sprites are horrible. Quartz is just... sad. I think EB Games sold a used one for a short while and took it off.

Either way, there are way better hacks, as he said. We're free to our opinion, this is a FORUM.

timaeus222

Years
    Yes, I've seen other hacks being played on YouTube videos. Through them I know what to expect. Some are good, and some I wish were better. EX: Pokemon Naranja. It's great, but it's in Spanish. :( ShinyGold is well done.

-------

You guys don't seem to understand; Fakemon CAN be good, but if they aren't creative or original enough, don't add them. That is, unless you actually want to. Think about it before adding it. "Would people like it?" etc.

-------

eh, FireRed Omega made me want to do a hard mode. I figured I could make a different hard mode with some new stuff. If you guys think I should do more, then can you tell me what you think I should add?

-------

I don't purposely diss people. I simply give my opinion.

Heart's Soul said:
    We're free to our opinion, this is a FORUM.

Q.E.D: Thus it is proved.

Questioning my opinion is okay, but being critical about it is overdoing it.

-------

I understand that hacking with tools that you don't need means you're lazy. I see a lot of people do that in The Rockman EXE Zone, where MegaMan Battle Network hacks are made. THAT'S different. They teach REAL hex editing, while pokecommunity has the experts create tools and let people use those tools instead of actual hex editing; therefore believing that tool usage is lazy, really doesn't make sense; if you guys taught hex editing in the first place, then opinions would be different. Not that I'm complaining; just trying to explain.

If I offended anyone, sorry about that. I'm only trying to be helpful. =/

-------

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    it doesnt annoy me that you dont like them, just that you categorically dismissed them.
    they need to be given a chance; how can people decide if theyre good enough to be put in without leting people test them?

if you think im being harsh then sorry, but i feel really strongly on ignorance.

id add a host of new rivals, and/or minigames to separate it from firered.

timaeus222

Years
    I just don't want people's fakemon to get put down because their spriting skills are sub-par or mediocre. Sure, testing makes good sense, but those kinds of people who make fakemon should ask many people to test, to give a "poll" of who liked them or not, and which ones were liked, etc. And then just take those out and remake them and try again. It really helps reduce the hate comments about them when their patch(es) is/are shared.

What kind of mini-games?

Last edited:

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    Y'know, I actually liked most of Quartz' fakemon.

Granted Babos/Osoe need to be purged but the rest all cool in some way. Like a boxing tree.

Back