• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    last, it really annoys most of all when I see everyone always hacking on FR because I really don't like these versions, my prefered version is emerald (in fact all 3 R/S/E) so when I see everyone hacking on FR I just don't want to play the hack, even if it is completely new done I know that it is FR and there is the ugly bag, the uly pokegear, I really hate them!
    if you like them ok you can like what you want but when everyone loves FR over all that everyone hacks on it it annoys me because then I got myself no hack I can play -_-'.....^^

It annoys me too, how everyone uses FireRed as a ROM base for some reason and never Ruby or Emerald (I use those two when hacking), I never really liked FireRed myself, I always found it too brightly colored for one, and two, it's way too much like original Red (the story has no edits at all, it's mearly Red with GBA graphics and a female player character, and nothing else)

Oh I forgot, what I also really hate is not really about the hack but about the hacker, when he starts and then just gives up, I also don't like people who do temselves nearly nothing for their hack and asks only help from other...........me I also ask help but till now I still do nearly everything alone that's why I ask help, alone it is difficut and if we aren't talented at everything there is less chances of a really graet hack^^

Do you know of Melash, who was making a devamp of R/S/E in Gold called "AncientEmerald", well, he just quit ROM hacking, AND RIGHT BEFORE HE COULD RELEASE THE FIRST BETA TOO!!!!!!

Then there was Sergio, who never finished Naranja mainly because he was too lazy, and Jeremy, oh god Jeremy, when you try to mention Pokemon Ice to him, he acts like he has no idea what you are talking about, seriously, I tried asking him "Is Pokemon Ice cancelled or completed yet?" and he responded "I don't recall doing that sweetie" WITH A HEART MARK AT THE END!!!!! Is he like, gay or something, cause it's not normal for a guy to say something like "sweetie" at the end of every sentence......

And we had to wait 2 years, 2 FREAKING YEARS for Koolboyman to release beta 3, which is coming the first of next month out now, no longer can we wait, as it is coming very soon.....

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    It annoys me too, how everyone uses FireRed as a ROM base for some reason and never Ruby or Emerald (I use those two when hacking), I never really liked FireRed myself, I always found it too brightly colored for one, and two, it's way too much like original Red (the story has no edits at all, it's mearly Red with GBA graphics and a female player character, and nothing else)

Do you know of Melash, who was making a devamp of R/S/E in Gold called "AncientEmerald", well, he just quit ROM hacking, AND RIGHT BEFORE HE COULD RELEASE THE FIRST BETA TOO!!!!!!

Then there was Sergio, who never finished Naranja mainly because he was too lazy, and Jeremy, oh god Jeremy, when you try to mention Pokemon Ice to him, he acts like he has no idea what you are talking about, seriously, I tried asking him "Is Pokemon Ice cancelled or completed yet?" and he responded "I don't recall doing that sweetie" WITH A HEART MARK AT THE END!!!!! Is he like, gay or something, cause it's not normal for a guy to say something like "sweetie" at the end of every sentence......

And we had to wait 2 years, 2 FREAKING YEARS for Koolboyman to release beta 3, which is coming the first of next month, no longer can we wait, as it is coming very soon.....
    Looks like somebody is too impatient.
    People have lives, you know.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Looks like somebody is too impatient.
    People have lives, you know.

I know, but I am not impatient, I was to Prism, but I am more impatient for B/W currently, and the fact that Beta 3 comes July 1st.

While people do have lives outside of hacking, they sometimes make a really excellent hack, then just forget all about it because of either sheer laziness, or something involving school/work, and then forget about the hack entirely, but if they do remember the hack, but stopped working on it even if it's school/work or lazieness (like Jeremy), they then act like they never worked on it, or never heard of it.... like Jeremy acts like he never heard of Pokemon Ice every time you mention it, really, try asking him......

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    Game breaking glitches.

I found a Red hack 'Neo' or something, and it looked really cool. There was a Red and Blue Version, one where you play as some guy called Neo, and the other the rival.

Brock's Geodude was level 200+. How? How do screw that up so damn bad? Cheat past that and there's a bunch of screwed up trainers...

Oh, and there was 2 new Pokemon in them. A Magmar and Electabuzz Evo. How do you get them? Use a cheat to change your Pokemon into them. Like those 'Pokegod' cheats.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I know, but I am not impatient, I was to Prism, but I am more impatient for B/W currently, and the fact that Beta 3 comes July 1st.

While people do have lives outside of hacking, they sometimes make a really excellent hack, then just forget all about it because of either sheer laziness, or something involving school/work, and then forget about the hack entirely, but if they do remember the hack, but stopped working on it even if it's school/work or lazieness (like Jeremy), they then act like they never worked on it, or never heard of it.... like Jeremy acts like he never heard of Pokemon Ice every time you mention it, really, try asking him......
    You are very impatient, and are only seeming to rant. (And I'm sure what you said has insulted a couple people, because you can't put your words very nicely :(

Anyways, scripting and mapping for me. So many lackluster mappers, and pretty bad scripting... they don't even know that it is even lackluster. There's room for improvement, and constructive criticism but the criticism bit is never accepted. Usually it's because they think too highly of themselves.

There's a difference between editting a ROM, and recreating a ROM.
    An example of editting a ROM... you'll see plenty in Progressing Hacks (I'm including my hack). There's nothing completely wrong with this... but like I mentioned above, there's room for improvements.

Recreating a ROM... just look at Prism as a prime example. I'm sure there are more that I'm just not thinking of right now.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    There's nothing inherently wrong with poorly edited maps, edited ROMs, crappy fakemon, poor scripts, etc when it is part of the learning process and the creator plans to improve on it, they just currently lack the skills to do so.

What does annoy me is when such edits or hacks are released and advertised as being "complete" or "awesome" when they are really, really not. Prototypes at best, but definitely not good or complete. Okay, releasing incomplete hacks to show the progression fair enough, but at least make it presentable. If you really can't make it presentable: practice, ask for help, maybe ask a few friends to give you advice and try it out for you before you start advertising it.

PocketPika

Quiet Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2011
    The only thing I don't really like is the whole "evil team is trying to get the legendary!!" storyline.
    I really don't even like it in main games either.

Of course another thing that I don't like (which cannot be helped and is in both hacks and the main series) is that people don't ever GO TO F****ING SLEEP.

Poke_M0

(Hidden)
    Years
    Mere edited map..boring storyline...repetitive gameplay....poor script...tile errors...wrong palette..stolen hack...

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I'll tell you what annoys me about hacks. Their creators. :/

Well, only some have successfully created fully working, playable, fun, and worth-of-my-time hacks. Most of the hacks I now see are not that fun to play, and that's because of the creators. :|

No offense to anyone, I just said my opinion.

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    Oh yeah, another thing that annoys me is stupidly hard game play.

Apparently, savestates make it okay to make hacks where you're required to grind your starter to the twenties to reach the next route (slight exaggeration).
    Made even worse when the hack is just a slight alteration of maps and encounters otherwise.

DJ. Yabup 99

This is my old account.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    The insane amount of G/S remakes! There are sooo many and yet people decide they're going to start yet another one, we already have shiny gold, shiny gold X and heartgold which are all perfectly good remakes. Also, when people complain about storyline being too generic, as long as it has cool events that flow properly then why does it need to have a good story? Sure a good story makes it better but just because a hack has a generic storyline that doesn't suddenly make it a bad hack.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    OMG why didn't I come up with this thread? This is soo me.

Lemme see here...

-No windows on houses

-"This is my first hack, it sucks and I'm totally unaware of it, I also can't take criticism, YAY!"

-"Hi I'm new to this, can I just make a team and do nothing while you guys work on my dream?"

-Anything Johto-esque. Even more points if it's a remake with bad grammar and a "new rival" just to put in a twist. Listen, we had ShinyGold, which wasn't that great, now we have HG/SS. Give it a rest, please.

-"You put Oak's Parcel in the Key Items Pocket." "WTF? I could've swore I was in [insert poorly made region here]. And I thought the local Professor's name was [tree]!"

-Well, this looks a lot like Pallet Town. Oh look, there's that "Technology is incredible" guy! And the new Professor is taking the same path as Oak! Bleh.

-Yes, Shadow Lugia's cool. Your crappy storyline involving it, a new Team Rocket, and a frozen hamburger is not. Either let it die or be a little more creative/realistic.

-I'm pretty sure that the laws of physics state I can't walk through that rock. Or that house. And maybe that tree shouldn't have a shadow right there.

-I entered this cave from a regular entrance, and emerged on a ladder. C'mon people, it's not hard to find out that one of those extra plain ground tiles in that tileset is the key to using regular cave exits.

-Oh look, my starter choice is Arceus, Mewtwo, and a crappy legendary Fakemon! I'm sooo glad that Moltres is in the first routes grass. I had no idea it'd be so common.

-If you can't learn to do a decent map. Quit. Now. It's pretty much the easiest major part of hacking. If your map looks like a bleeding tentacle monster who's had too much caffeine, well, there are no words.

-The whole "first hacks" thing in the first place. Y'know my first hack? It never saw the light of day. I have more than 20 or so unfinished hacks that I practiced on. Note that word: practiced. First hacks are not meant to be shown to the general public. In this world of instant gratification, newbies, no, that's too nice, n00bs don't realize that downloading AdvanceMap doesn't make them good at hacking, practice does.

-Grammar. I myself sometimes take creative leeway with my own grammar so things flow better or express how I really feel while being read. And imo, that's fine. If you decide to use some extra commas to get your point across, or a run on to indicate an emotion or something, go for it. "Wellcum o teh weorlf of POKEYMANS!!!!1!" Is unacceptable. So is... wait... lemme find the thread... Found it, the textbox is literally arranged like this:
    It's dangerous to go out - - - - - - - -l
    Without a pokemon
    ^Yeah, 'nuff said. (That line and series of dashes is the end of the textbox and the amount of space left over btw.) Credits to Omega Zero's Corroded Silver hack for this laughable non-attempt at grammar, which was done for him if he cared to download a ROM or pop in his Silver Version.

-That default blue house in tileset 0 that everyone seems to use for everything. Moreover, apparently the general population hasn't discovered that that house comes with windows. Or perhaps they're one of the "No Window...ers".

-Vulgar language and incredibly mature themes, of a sexual nature or otherwise. I mean seriously, you're not cool for doing it. Grow up. You're not writing [unrealistic] erotica in game form (and I'm almost certain that those who try to in this manner have never experienced anything like it), or doing an episode from South Park, or a Pokemon depiction of graphic violence. The f-word is not an appropriate adjective, though adding -ing to it does make it appear to be so. The player does not need to know of the "f-ing Pokemon" or that they are "f-ing kids" for beating a Trainer. Nor do expletives need to be put in-between every word in every sentence. The English language did not evolve into the complex and beautiful form it is today to be marred by such vulgarity in such intense forms. And that goes for bad grammar as well.

Y'know, maybe my post would be shorter if the thread was about things I see in hacks that I really like. And this list is hardly exhaustive. : /

P.S. On an unrelated note, I'm also not a fan of that sideways look smiley I just used. Go figure.

Laras Boyfriend

Neo Trainer
    Years
    I hate it when a hack has bugs.Better remove some of the features to fix that bug than let it glitchy.also i dont like when people make new regions from scratch and near the end are the same towns nearly unchanged.if you do a thing then do it right!

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    I don't like seeing hacks loaded with fakemon because to make one, you have to sacrifice a real Pokemon slot. Another thing I hate is seeing is a hack that is made in about a week or so and filled with thousands of glitches because no one bothered to test it. I also hate hacks that contain maps are almost completely identical to the Nintendo maps. I am also sick of seeing legendaries put in as starters and as random pokemon encounters in the grass on every route. I also pay a lot of attention to the story and you can bet that I will quit playing if it starts to completely derail, If I detect mary sues, or if it contains a ton of holes.

Last edited:

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    What annoys me most, is one thing, the original storyline still kept in a hack. It is the same do this, battle a gym, move on routine. It just gets boring.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    Here's a quick list of a few things that annoy me:

1. How so many are made by males. It's a trend that's not at all unexpected, considering we're a culture that still perpetuates the nonsense that technology is somehow the exclusive domain of men; but it's still a little disheartening to see just how much of a sausage-fest it is around these parts. :( Nothing against all you fellows here, of course! ^^' I just think it would be nice to see more gals making hacks...

2. Johto remakes. How many more do we need? Unless you're bringing something genuinely new and exciting to the table with your remake concept; there's no point to this. The creators of Shiny Gold, Liquid Crystal, Oro Sole, and POKEMON ITSELF have already beat you to the punch. Let it rest already and find a new idea, please...

3. Similar to this, hacks based on Isshu or including Isshu Pokemon. This won't bother me much at all once the games are actually released; but right now it just seems impulsive and pointless. We don't really know much about Zorua or Zoroark; and know next to nothing about any other revealed Pokemon so far. Yes, new Pokemon are exciting, but seeing hacks that give you Isshu starters (when we don't even know what they'll evolve into or what their movesets are like or really ANYTHING), or have plots that involve you catching a Zoroark or whatever....it's insane ^^' They'll be out in September; a little patience won't hurt you, will it? :)

4. Ones that get abandoned the moment the creators get less-than-positive reviews; even if the reviews are being delivered in a kind and helpful manner. If you can't take criticism, then why are you posting unpolished work to the internet? Heck, even a gorgeous, refined hack is going to get feedback and suggestions on what the creator could do better. It's inspiration to improve yourself - not to throw in the towel and decide you have to drop your hack like a hot potato!

5. Being "darker and edgier" for the sheer sake of it; without any deeper purpose. I have nothing against ROM hackers who want to explore concepts and themes that Game Freak would never touch themselves. There's a lot of potential behind darker or more "mature" concepts, and stuff like swearing; blood; sexual themes; and even, I dunno, a philosophical discourse on nihilism all potentially have their place if integrated well and believably into the world you created. But a hack that includes these sorts of themes seemingly for no other reason than to show the world how edgy or ~*~daring~*~ its creator is would be, in my opinion, a failure. For example, a well placed F-bomb can speak volumes - but using them flippantly in every other sentence makes you look like a twelve-year-old who's just discovered how to rebel against the status quo.

There are other things, of course, but for once I don't want to write a wall of text ^^'

x Necromorph x

Super Saiyan 4
    Years
    Here's a quick list of a few things that annoy me:

1. How so many are made by males. It's a trend that's not at all unexpected, considering we're a culture that still perpetuates the nonsense that technology is somehow the exclusive domain of men; but it's still a little disheartening to see just how much of a sausage-fest it is around these parts. :( Nothing against all you fellows here, of course! ^^' I just think it would be nice to see more gals making hacks...

2. Johto remakes. How many more do we need? Unless you're bringing something genuinely new and exciting to the table with your remake concept; there's no point to this. The creators of Shiny Gold, Liquid Crystal, Oro Sole, and POKEMON ITSELF have already beat you to the punch. Let it rest already and find a new idea, please...

3. Similar to this, hacks based on Isshu or including Isshu Pokemon. This won't bother me much at all once the games are actually released; but right now it just seems impulsive and pointless. We don't really know much about Zorua or Zoroark; and know next to nothing about any other revealed Pokemon so far. Yes, new Pokemon are exciting, but seeing hacks that give you Isshu starters (when we don't even know what they'll evolve into or what their movesets are like or really ANYTHING), or have plots that involve you catching a Zoroark or whatever....it's insane ^^' They'll be out in September; a little patience won't hurt you, will it? :)

4. Ones that get abandoned the moment the creators get less-than-positive reviews; even if the reviews are being delivered in a kind and helpful manner. If you can't take criticism, then why are you posting unpolished work to the internet? Heck, even a gorgeous, refined hack is going to get feedback and suggestions on what the creator could do better. It's inspiration to improve yourself - not to throw in the towel and decide you have to drop your hack like a hot potato!

5. Being "darker and edgier" for the sheer sake of it; without any deeper purpose. I have nothing against ROM hackers who want to explore concepts and themes that Game Freak would never touch themselves. There's a lot of potential behind darker or more "mature" concepts, and stuff like swearing; blood; sexual themes; and even, I dunno, a philosophical discourse on nihilism all potentially have their place if integrated well and believably into the world you created. But a hack that includes these sorts of themes seemingly for no other reason than to show the world how edgy or ~*~daring~*~ its creator is would be, in my opinion, a failure. For example, a well placed F-bomb can speak volumes - but using them flippantly in every other sentence makes you look like a twelve-year-old who's just discovered how to rebel against the status quo.

There are other things, of course, but for once I don't want to write a wall of text ^^'

I could not agree with you more!

I honestly don't like new tilesets.. Some new tiles are cool, like clear water and stuff. But I think the tiles are good as they are.

As stated above^^ The remakes are pointless, creativity and new, different games are much better.

Back