• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Grammatical errors. Period. They annoy me to no end and it gives me the incentive to make my own hacks.

Another thing that annoys me (and this happens alot) is when someone wants to make a hack, but rather than having the skills necessary, they try to recruit a bunch of other people who do have the skills to do it for them and take credit for creating it. Needless to say they are usualy unsucessful.

Also, bad sprites. I love the addition of new sprites, and heck, I'm okay with the idea of using old sprites for new characters so long as they don't make new ugly ones. This counts for fakemon too, I have seen a number (but not a good number) of quality fakemon. Fakemon are a good idea, but they should at least resemble pokemon. In fact, the sole reason people dislike them so much is because the majority of fakemon look like little to no effort was put into them, and if you didn't know what a hack was, you definitely wouldn't associate them with pokemon, because they don't resemble any pokemon like qualities.

Lack of Scripts. Advance Text is not scripting. Scripts are what gives life to the game and it's story, but far too often have I seen hacks that lack flags, movement, and ooddly enough, simple speech scripts. That said, scripting has been declared the hardest part of hacking (Though for me, it's spriting due to the fact that I can't draw). I myself am a scripter and know how hard you have to work to get a grasp on scripting. But just remember, practice makes perfect.

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
  • Grammatical errors. Period. They annoy me to no end and it gives me the incentive to make my own hacks.

Another thing that annoys me (and this happens alot) is when someone wants to make a hack, but rather than having the skills necessary, they try to recruit a bunch of other people who do have the skills to do it for them and take credit for creating it. Needless to say they are usualy unsucessful.

Also, bad sprites. I love the addition of new sprites, and heck, I'm okay with the idea of using old sprites for new characters so long as they don't make new ugly ones. This counts for fakemon too, I have seen a number (but not a good number) of quality fakemon. Fakemon are a good idea, but they should at least resemble pokemon. In fact, the sole reason people dislike them so much is because the majority of fakemon look like little to no effort was put into them, and if you didn't know what a hack was, you definitely wouldn't associate them with pokemon, because they don't resemble any pokemon like qualities.

Lack of Scripts. Advance Text is not scripting. Scripts are what gives life to the game and it's story, but far too often have I seen hacks that lack flags, movement, and ooddly enough, simple speech scripts. That said, scripting has been declared the hardest part of hacking (Though for me, it's spriting due to the fact that I can't draw). I myself am a scripter and know how hard you have to work to get a grasp on scripting. But just remember, practice makes perfect.

Hey, here's someone whom I really agree with! :D

IMO, scripting is really interesting. There's a lot of ways you can mess up, and once you fix it, you feel really good.

I also hate grammatical errors. If you don't know much English, you should hire someone who does know English as your script person, and you should do something else, like spriting or mapping. It really helps the overall quality of your hack. If it has so many errors, you either look unintelligent(don't know english) or lazy(don't care to have errors).

Yep, Fakemon ARE alright SOMETIMES, but if they look absolutely awkward and nothing like Pokemon, remake them! Make sure they are decently similar in style, unless you're not meaning to treat them as actual Pokemon (Pokemon Touhou I believe? I forget.).

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    1) Maps where they ****ing changed the tileset or scenery and THAT'S IT.
    2) Fakemon. When designing a Pokemon, you have to make a good sprite, give it a good ability, give it good stats, and a good movepool. And they all have to fit together for strategic play. If you don't, they'll either suck or be overpowered.
    3) Bad English: Okay, so you don't speak English and you want to make a game. Go ahead! But please, do it in your native language. And leave the translations to someone who has had 4+ years of English class and can speak fluently.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I hate the old, overused plot of "There's an evil organization that abuses Pokemon. Stop them." or "Figure out who you/your mother/your father/your dog/your rival/Team Rocket/ really is/is trying to do/has done.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    1) Maps where they ****ing changed the tileset or scenery and THAT'S IT.
    2) Fakemon. When designing a Pokemon, you have to make a good sprite, give it a good ability, give it good stats, and a good movepool. And they all have to fit together for strategic play. If you don't, they'll either suck or be overpowered.
    3) Bad English: Okay, so you don't speak English and you want to make a game. Go ahead! But please, do it in your native language. And leave the translations to someone who has had 4+ years of English class and can speak fluently.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I hate the old, overused plot of "There's an evil organization that abuses Pokemon. Stop them." or "Figure out who you/your mother/your father/your dog/your rival/Team Rocket/ really is/is trying to do/has done.
    What I don't understand is how people will continue to tear apart the original plotline (evilt team + legendary) yet when you do something different the hack flops or gets negative reviews for being too over the top. You do realize you can't please everyone. I say adding on to the original evil team plot, with a subplot, is the way to go imo.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • Hey, here's someone whom I really agree with! :D

IMO, scripting is really interesting. There's a lot of ways you can mess up, and once you fix it, you feel really good.

I also hate grammatical errors. If you don't know much English, you should hire someone who does know English as your script person, and you should do something else, like spriting or mapping. It really helps the overall quality of your hack. If it has so many errors, you either look unintelligent(don't know english) or lazy(don't care to have errors).

Yep, Fakemon ARE alright SOMETIMES, but if they look absolutely awkward and nothing like Pokemon, remake them! Make sure they are decently similar in style, unless you're not meaning to treat them as actual Pokemon (Pokemon Touhou I believe? I forget.).

So basically people who don't speak English are stupid? You said they are unintelligent because they don't know English, well maybe they think the same about you because you can't speak their language.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • Coming from someone with no hacking experience whatsoever, the names always seem to bother me the most. I'm not going to mention any in particular, but I really can't stand it when people give their hacks needlessly over-the-top names.

So basically people who don't speak English are stupid? You said they are unintelligent because they don't know English, well maybe they think the same about you because you can't speak their language.
    I don't mean to butt in, but I don't think that's what he was saying at all...
    If you're going to make an English hack, you should know English, or at least work with someone who does. He's right, you would look unintelligent trying to do it any other way.

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
  • Grammatical errors and... too "casual" dialogues. Other than those, I'm fine with the small errors.
    OH, and of course, the long wait for an updated version.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • 1)Anime and Manga refferences.- Especially the ones with Ash as your character. I just don't like blending games with non-canon pokemon sources.
    2) 5 gen. Pokemon- Hate them. We don't have their backsprites and icons,don't know their english names and movesets.
    Gen 4 pokemon are OK if correctly resized and if they are complete with sprites,basprites and icons.
    3)Bugs- Such as ones when you have to use the walk through walls code to get in/out of the area.
    5)Poorly done fakemon.- There are fakemon nicely done,but of course there are also poorly done ugly ones.
    6)Bad tiles and maps- If you can't make tiles,just don't do them.
    Those are the things that annoy me about hacks the most.

Last edited:

timaeus222

Years
  • You're right, Inkpuddle. I know someone who's Arabic, who's making a Mega Man miniseries by hacking, and his english makes it seem obvious that he's not American. Sure, trying is good, but if you don't know much English, ask someone who does to help you with scripting and stuff, and your hack will look much better.

Oh, I think I see what you mean by "Casual". It's no fun when you see people say "lol", "rofl" and other texting language in a game. It's just unprofessional.

Oh man, I just had an idea from your post, Quilava's Master. I'm going to try to make a subplot so you can face Team Rocket Grunts. Then when you get to the end, past all the puzzles, you find Giovanni and *some Pokemon(I'm still thinking about it)* "battling" each other. Then Giovanni notices you, and says "hi, what are you doing here? Oh no, this isn't what you're thinking of. I'm not catching this Pokemon for evil purposes.
    ...Eh, maybe I am." etc. but better and more revised. xD -Work in progress-

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    hacks were you spend hours lv up as the pokemon only lv 4 and the frist gym is lv 15 up i dont know were cant up the wild pokemon to lv8.

timaeus222

Years
  • hacks were you spend hours lv up as the pokemon only lv 4 and the frist gym is lv 15 up i dont know were cant up the wild pokemon to lv8.

I don't like that either. If you want to make it hard, add more Pokemon to the Gym Leader instead, and give him a harder strategy. Don't raise his levels too much.

BlazeGirl12

Just Another Pokemon Player
    Years
  • The things that annoy me are:
    -ANY form of cursing/adult themes...I just can't stand them.
    -Poor grammar and spelling. Text language is NOT for games!
    -When people just do a minor edit of the base game's starting events. Put some thought into it!
    -Tile errors..
    -Fakemon...I just don't like 'em. They don't seem like real Pokemon, just fake monsters.
    -Not changing the music...I know that very few hacks actually do change it, but...
    -Spirtes that have been just slightly altered/recolored from some other sprite in the game.
    Basically if you don't put any effort into the hack. :]

Years
  • Things that annoy me in ROM Hacks are:

-De-capitalized Pokemon names, examples being Sienna and Heroes. They weren't De-capitalized in Game Freak's Pokemon games and it doesn't seem quite right.
    -Add-ons in GSC remakes. Except for SG, LC, and HG/SS even though they are official games. I don't really like it when events, locations, people, etc. are added that weren't in the original GSC. I'd like to see a pure GSC remake that is just a remake with nothing new.
    -New tiles. Exceptions include: Light Platinum, Flora Sky, Marble, Life of Guardians, Dark Violet, and Azure Horizons. It seems that every ROM Hack uses new tiles, I don't see what's so wrong with original tiles. Rijon Adventures and Azure Horizons became Hack of the Year and Identity became Hack of the Month. The only time you need to change tiles might be for gyms so they don't look the same.
    -Team Rocket, again some exceptions, this time it's Brown, rijonAdventures, SG, LC, Miksy91's ROM Hacks, Anime ROM Hacks obviously, Toxic Purple, the original RBY, GSC, FRLG, HGSS, and the TR hack from a member on WAH I forgot the hack's name. It seems that the only evil team you battle/play is Team Rocket. I'd like to see a new evil team or Magma, Aqua, or Galactic. I know there was a hack based on Team Galactic but I'm not sure what happened.
    Diamond and Pearl tiles excluding LP and Flora Sky. I'd rather see Platinum and HGSS sprites since Pt and HGSS are better games, I also mean sprites for Pokemon also since Platinum's seem more like their Suigomori Art.

Things I do like that some people don't like: Fakemon (Quartz, Marble, and the Ruby Destiny series only however), Game Freak Plot as in Gyms, Rival, Team, Eilte Four, Aftergame events etc., hacks edited with tools, it won't change the quality of the hack. I will try hex editing one day but I'll focus in tools right now. HEX EDITING ISN'T THAT HARD!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    The things i Hate most about pokemon games are people just slightly changing the character sprite like in Mythic legends..

Hacks that promote bad behaviour Aka Swearing, Stealing And Murder

Anime Hacks Because they have terrible sprites like Ash Grey.......

I understand that people From Other Countries Translating it can be Hard Cause English is The hardest language to learn

But I do Not put up with people who speak fluent english and Have So Many Typos

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    Overused tiles, glitches, grammatical errors, tile errors, and most of all hacks that aren't continued. XD;

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    The fact that 90% of all the great hacks are NEVER finished...

To tell you the truth I don't think people have the right to complain about something until they make and finish a hack fully. Then when you've done that then you get to complain about all great hacks never finishing.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2011
    The thing I hate the most about hacks: I have no clue which ones are finished! I don't understand why we all can't just make an updated list of finished ones. I think that this would give the people who have made a thorough, completed hack the credit they deserve. Thats because people like me, who love playing new hacks, could easily find the finished ones and their creators. But seriously, I can never find hacks that are 100% done!

I also despise all fakemon. If Nintendo didn't make them, they don't deserve to be in a pokemon game. Just an opinion.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • The thing I hate the most about hacks: I have no clue which ones are finished! I don't understand why we all can't just make an updated list of finished ones. I think that this would give the people who have made a thorough, completed hack the credit they deserve. Thats because people like me, who love playing new hacks, could easily find the finished ones and their creators. But seriously, I can never find hacks that are 100% done!

I also despise all fakemon. If Nintendo didn't make them, they don't deserve to be in a pokemon game. Just an opinion.

You sound like the kind of erson who just wants to play hacks and doesnt care about whats in them etc. because a list of finished ones not being ready available for you everytime you want one isnt something to blame the hacks themselves for. in which case, you yourself try and finish making a hack, like someone above said. It takes a VERY long time. and you should be grateful for the ones that are finished for the hard work that their creators have put in.

On the subject of fakemon. Dont even start me, It annoys me to no end when people dismiss all of them without trying them.
    If Nintendo didn't make them, they don't deserve to be in a pokemon game.
    So going by your theory, no hacks deserve be, because nintendo made the engine and the tiles, altough they didnt make all the various storylines, maps, sripts, OWs, and regions. so does that mean they cant be in a game, NO.
    If you wanna carry on about this, PM or VM me, but it makes my blood boil when people have that mentality. /rant

back OT.
    -Standard Firered Tiles. Thyre so bland. i mean, come on. they also seem to appear only in bad maps. Ive never seen a hacker use them well. If anyone wants to prove me wrong here then show me.
    -Elements within peoples grammar in hacks, where they put question marks and exclaimation marks in groups of 3. Theyre made to only need 1, why over do it? ^^ Also character dialogue thats irrepresentative of their stereotype, Ie an old mad using Text language and things like that... Not that text language is smiled upon in hacks anyway.

/rant2

Back