• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    Yes title errors and just bugs in general...

I especially hate lags.

Oh and also messed up colors.

M.L

Invisible
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2017
    hmm well i have to say when no effort is put in a game like when they say we mapped route 1 and all they did is add a few trees and stuff like that its pointless and stupid so a well made game i say

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    Actually, I like quartz the best of all Pokemon games but I cant stand the swearing. Team Ambar swears every 5 lines or so.
    And whatever you say I HATE no Fakemon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what annoys me? using advancedmap.
    What annoys you about that!!!! How do you even know peopla have used
    the easiest and best map editing program!!!

Last edited:

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    Bad Grammar and Bad language.
    And also, bad spriting: I've played a few hacks where sprites are just... terrible, like a black outline filled with one solid colour and solid white eyes.

Jean LaFlame

French chic ♪
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2012
    Ouch... There are a few things that make me get annoyed.

1) The use of Dark Lugia (or dark stuff anyway) in the hacks.
    2) Typical things: the professor tells you that YOU must catch some Pokemon to complete dex and then HIS work will be done. YOU catch Pokemon to do HIS work. Are you serious?

Well, that's all.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Bad Grammar (Grammer; lol xD)
    Bland maps.
    Unimaginative story lines.
    WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER JOHTO REMAKE THAT ISN'T THE OFFICIAL ONE?
    When peoples' ideas of increasing the difficulty mean bumping up every trainer's pokemon by 10 levels.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Even they have fakemons but still using the same power style ... why not different power names and effects?

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • 1. Fakemon: Why? I understand that the creator wants to be more original, but some fakemon are just... uglier than the "ugly" official pokemon.

2. Bad English and Grammar: I understand that for some of us, English isn't our first language - in which case, hire a translator. But for those who live in countries where English is the official or primary language, there is no excuse for half of the text to be in leet/1337 or to be unprofessional and have random profanity when your plot isn't mature.

3. "Mature" plots: Sex jokes, swearing every 2 lines, internet memes, and pop culture references does not make a mature game. A game is "mature" when it has sufficient character development (yes, even our silent protagonist), and a solid plot (it doesn't need to be Final Fantasy Tactics/7 proportions but there should be more to the game than the same beat 8 gyms, beat E4, roll credits).

4. Game breaking glitches and events: One particular hack for the anime (AshGray?) is very specific about the order of what you do and when. My first play through, I did an event wrong and I couldn't continue and this was in the beginning of the game. No game should be that specific and picky about how you play it to the point that you can't progress due to minor errors.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2011
    I think the only thing that irritates me about Hacks is when they're all in Spanish :P
    Other than that, Hacks are cool, except for the ones in the DS cuz the Emulators Sux, like really bad. I might as well wait for the DS Emulators to become fast like the VBA.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Bad Grammar (Grammer; lol xD)
    WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER JOHTO REMAKE THAT ISN'T THE OFFICIAL ONE?
    Because the official one sucked? I was hoping with HG/SS they would remove the flaws of the original, but I guess I was expecting too much.

Why the hell does Executive Archer, the final boss of Team Rocket in HG/SS before the Elite 4, use a Lv35 Houndour? Is that a joke or something?

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years

• Other than that, Hacks are cool, except for the ones in the DS cuz the Emulators Sux, like really bad. I might as well wait for the DS Emulators to become fast like the VBA.
    DeSmuME 0.9.7 with 3D renderer set to OpenGL can run HeartGold, SoulSilver and Platinum almost perfectly fine for me, I haven't tried Diamond and Pearl yet.

On topic: What I don't like most about the hacks is that so many people create their own Fakemons and they usually look so ugly.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Because the official one sucked? I was hoping with HG/SS they would remove the flaws of the original, but I guess I was expecting too much.

Why the hell does Executive Archer, the final boss of Team Rocket in HG/SS before the Elite 4, use a Lv35 Houndour? Is that a joke or something?

Why the hell does Executive Archer, the final boss of Team Rocket in G/S/C before the Elite 4, use a Lv33 Houndour? Is that a joke or something?

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • DeSmuME 0.9.7 with 3D renderer set to OpenGL can run HeartGold, SoulSilver and Platinum almost perfectly fine for me, I haven't tried Diamond and Pearl yet.

The speed of your game also depends on:
    how many services and processes you have running (MZ Game Accelerator is very helpful at turning off those things. Don't expect things to run smoothly when you have Chrome, a DAW, and Photoshop running at the same time as your game).

the emulator itself (As great as desmume is, it's very slow because it's designed to emulate the DS as close as possible. Even though No$gba hasn't been updated in forever, it's still best when it comes to speed).

have you cleaned out the junk? (defragging your HDD, cleaning up your registry, getting rid of dead shortcuts, temporary files, etc. speeds up your computer and therefore speeds up the game)

Last edited:

AngelxAntagonist

Heavy Metal FTW \m/
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2014
    Hmm. The things that get me are bad grammar/spelling and a total lack of originality.

Now I've got a question. If I were to make a hack, and I completely redid the plot and scripts, how many people would instantly be turned off if characters swear? Let me explain - one thing that bugs me in every game is how corny and childish they are. Yes, Pokemon are 'children's games,' but I think they should do one aimed at a slightly more mature audience, since we've all been playing these games for 10 years. So there will be romance (not sex, but the fact that they never developed the subplot in Ranger bugged the living hell out of me). There will be death (not on-screen blood and gore). And there will be occasional swearing, but not mindlessly dropping the f-bomb every sentence, but only in a VERY few instances. Would this immediately turn you off? Just looking for opinions.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Things I don't like about hacks...when people post about them in Advance Generation. That annoys me. As for playing/watching hacks, grammar is an issue, but it mainly happens in hacks that are made by people whose native tongue isn't English. Or so I hope...cause I mean, if English is their primary language, then there's no excuse for that.

Years
  • Made a list about what frustrates me about hacks in general... I'm not going to sugar-coat anything since this thread's whole purpose is to say what annoys you about them.

1) When the hero or heroine you play as actually talks. I'd prefer they didn't say a word like in the actual games, since people have different personalities and such so you can't really add text to the playable character.
    2) Too many different wild Pokemon being available early on. I don't want to be seeing 15+ different species before I even hit the first gym. It becomes too much to handle, nor can we afford many Pokeballs so early on.
    3) Spelling/grammar mistakes.
    4) Bad spriting. Gotta accept that it's very hard to find talented spriters though, especially since most aren't willing to work for free.
    5) When a really good hack never finishes/its thread gets locked and is never heard about again.
    6) When hack threads open in 2007 and there is no beta/a beta that isn't even halfway into the game released by 2011. I know hacking is hard work and people have way more important things to do outside of that, but four years? There's gotta be at least some level of dedication somewhere in there.

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2014
    I don't really like hacks w/ fake pokemon, and I hate it when a hack is going really well, and I like it, and then it just stops. -COUGHTOXICPURPLECOUGH-

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
    Years
  • @DarkDurandal

I don't believe I was being rude just stating an opinion, it's difficult to bring things across in the right tone using a collection faceless alphanumeric characters. Secondly I don't whine, I haven't whined in years.

Okay, seriously? I don't think that DarkDurandal's post was even aimed at you. [Might of been but only like 12% chance of it]

Dark was probably just posting what the title thread says. 'What annoys you about hacks?'

Please don't jump to conclusions and stop using words and grammatical sentences that do not make sense in attempt to sound smart.

Also, I hate it when you can never store Pokemon in a hack without the hack asploding all over the place. :P

Back