• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What attracted you to pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    As a kid me and my brother saved up our money for a whole year to buy this little 8x8 inch T.V. to watch pokemon in our room on, we were so excited to bring it home even if it was just a tiny T.V., I can't remember a single Pokemon show we missed... I also remember saving up money for all those cards, and making our own pokemon and cards on notecards lol. My first pokemon game was Crystal, and I had a Totodile named Spikey!!!! with all those !'s. Pokemon will probably never leave me even when I am older.. its kind of embarrasing now, so I will hide all of my sprites, and stuff I make in a folder in a folder in a folder, haha.

But probably the thing that REALLY brought me to pokemon was when I was in kindergarten and my reading buddy gave me this present of pokemon cards and the top card was a Rattata (actually a water energy was the top but the second was rattata =P), so that is one of my favorite pokemon even now
    Haha, I used to have an advanced folder hierarchy where I could hide POKEMON stuff too. In case my friend someone saw my files or something. In retrospect I'm not sure who I thought would even be looking e_e;

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Umm, what can I say? :o

I was just watching Cartoon Network on a fine day in 2001. While watching, I saw that a new show named 'Pokemon' is gonna air after somedays. They claimed that it was the 'the national premiere of a world famous series'. I didn't believe it at first. Just out of curiousity, I thought of watching it. But after watching some of its episodes, I really got hooked into it. It was just like an addiction.....Ahh.....Really good old memories....

After some years, I came to know that Pokemon games 'do exsist'.(I used to think that no Pokemon game existed.. xD) I started playing the ROMs and got hooked into it as well.

So, I've reached on the conclusion that I got hooked on Pokemon due to both the anime and the games(but my first addiction was still the anime though. xP).

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Just the whole concept of it, when I saw the commercials for the show I wanted to check it out as a kid then I was just fascinated by it and still am today. Traveling around regions with your friends care free with just one goal to be the best. You battle with monsters and you need to use good strategy for each and you choose what pokemon you want to use. Then when the games came out I was just amazed and loved them ever since. How awesome would it be to live in a world like that? Overall we don't deserve such a peaceful looking world right now but it's always cool to think about.

ExtremeYoshiFan

The Yoshi King
    Years
  • The show. It was something new and different. After that I game the games a shot. It was fun. I wonder what happened to the show. it seems to have gotten worse. They also need to air the old ones again. The Johto ones were awesome. The 3rd gen ones were decent but the new ones aren't that great.

Years
  • TCG. In my school (this was when I was about 9) only a couple of people had gameboys and the games, and we didn't care much for it.

EVERYBODY had the cards though. And I mean everybody. We traded, we battled, we played... At some point after I had transferred to another school, I heard they banned pokémon cards there, because kids were ripping each other off with stupid trades with cards they had paid for XD

So yeah, it was the TCG. And we watched the anime too, of course. I didn't play the game until much later, when the GBA came out. And then I wanted the Yellow game, to get Pikachu, even though Gold and Silver were out.
    ^This. All of it.

What's funny is that I don't give two cents about the TCG now. In fact, the only reason I liked the TCG in the first place is because other people were totally freaked about it, and I had a holographic Zapdos = endless praise in my direction. :D I have no idea where the darn thing is though. :\ We've moved twice since then. Lost my Silver version the second time we moved.

But yeah, I remember wanting the game when a guy in my class showed us the Mewtwo he caught. The same guy ended up being a total football jockie jacka** and would likely deny he ever played pokemon if asked [/irony]. Though I suppose I can't blame him; I'm guilty of being embarrassed when my best friend would talk loudly about pokemon in high school right in front of hot girls..... T_T

But yeah, my friends and I kept playing, we just (or maybe "I just") didn't blab about it to other people. In fact, I had more fun playing pokemon after it became unpopular. G/S/C were the glory days for us. Very fierce competition between my Lugia and my friend's Ho-oh. Good times.

*~Frost Umbreon~*

TURN OFF YOUR ORPHANS.
    Years
  • I was bored one day when I was looking for a video game to play that I never played before. Then, I noticed something I didn't know about:

Pokemon Crystal.

I got the game and basically fell in love with it. I wanted to learn some more about Pokemon, and I became the Pokemon nerd I am right now. XD

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • Well, let's see...
    Pokemon came out when I was in first grade (of course, everyone HAD to be into it ...damn, 11 years ago...) and EVERYONE had cards, except me, because my parents are strict Calvinists and didn't believe in that kind of silliness, and I had no Game Boy either at the time. I did, however, have the Official Pokemon Handbook, and I spent hours tracing most of the Pokemon in it onto paper, especially Cubone, and re-enacted the show and made good use of my imagination.

Around Christmas of either that year or the next year, I got some little starter deck of Pokemon cards from a friend, and a GBC and Pokemon Gold and Silver from my Aunt. I followed the show like every other guy in my class, but the cards were never really a big part of my life. I did play the games religiously until sixth grade, when I 'grew out' of it. I got stricken down with the flu at Christmas the following year, and played a bit of yellow, but nothing ever really came out of it.

Then during my junior year in high school I sat next to a girl in English who was into it, and I gradually got back into the games, then the show. My junior year culminated in me and a friend busting out our old GBCs and link battling in GSC during AP US History, much the amusement of our teacher. And when I started this school year, another person in my English class is into the games.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    The games, mainly Yellow version.

I had known about the games for a while, but I refused to play them. I think I was just tired of everyone talking about it all of the time, so I never gave it a chance. One day, my cousin brought his game boy and Yellow version with him to my house. I saw him playing it. It looked fun, so I asked if I could play. I was hooked from that point on. I always played it when he came over. I finally had the money for it, so I bought Yellow later on. (I didn't have a Game Boy anymore, but I did have my Super Game Boy for SNES.) I now have all of the games except for Pearl (not counting HG/SS, since they aren't released in English yet).

After that, I ended up getting into the TCG and anime. I'm not into the anime as much anymore, but I still like the TCG. I just can't afford to get new cards much.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    hmm.. i donno actually.. :/
    i started watching the animes first, then the first game i played was emerald followed by fire red, then D/P

Goron

Mountain Dweller
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2009
    It all started when i was about 4 and my Aunts Boyfriend had given me and my brother a promotion tape for pokemon. We watched it and instantly fell in love with it and caught the show when it aired.

Good Times!

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
    Years
  • Yo!

Strangely enough, The first time i watched it was when it first came on in Australia. I was flicking through the channels and found it.I just saw it and loved it ever since.

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
  • Well when i was 5 i watched a cartoon movie that it was totally different the others.i neveer knew that it was pokemon then when about 6 our tv channel first aired it in our tv and that is when i saw that this cartoons name was pokemon and then i also became a digimon fan

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Nothing else but the anime got me into the larger franchise we know today as Pokémon. After a few episodes from season one, I was naturally hooked to the whole concept of Pokémon. Then not too long after, I started collecting and playing the TCG with friends who enjoyed it too. It wasn't until my 10th birthay when I got Pokémon Ruby did my likeness to it really grow on. Now, I still find myself keeping interest in Pokémon and I wouldn't doubt it won't continue after the release of the upcoming HeartGold and SoulSilver in the US.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • The unique and not to mention beautiful looks of most pokemon is what matter most to me. The battle style in GameBoy and PS series is very good.

Appulz

gimme applezzz :]
    Years
  • Everything about it since i was little. The show, the cards and the game. We would talk about it in school and on the bus like freaks, I'm still a poke freak today :D, though its so awkward to to talk about it because everyone denies it. I don't think i have ever missed an episode in the first season. (I miss Misty :[ )

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2009
    It all began in 1999. I was 8 and animals fighting each other just seemed cool. I was a weird kid and still am today lol.

It started with the show, then the games, then the TCG(which I don't play anymore but still have a binder of rares on the shelf).

Pokemon becomes more diversified every year. It evolves just like the Pokemon do themselves. And it will always have a loyal fanbase.

Back