• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What compells you to purchase both?

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    Collection.

A Pokemon game collection isn't complete unless you have all of them. THe same reason people get both Ruby and Sapphire and then get Emerald. Or get FireRed and LeafGreen. So on, so on.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Just for collection and functionality purposes. I'd just like to have the ability to get any Pokemon that is version specific.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    I'd get version-specific Pokemon (I don't have Wi-Fi). Plus, it's more fun to get both and play through them. =3 Even if one of them sometimes gets left behind by you (... Sorry, Pearl... ^^').

:( I don't have WiFi either.

Besides, most the version exclusives are readily available in D/D/P. If I want a version exclusive, I'll borrow my neighbour's DS and trade. Likewise if I want to restart. Failing that I'll go into town and use the WiFi in a café.
    I mean, they are pretty much the same game (wow, Vulpix in one, Growlithe in the other, so worth fifty euro!), it's not like say comparing Pearl and Platinum, and there are some differences. I normally buy one from the first two games and the third game afterwards.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    To be able to play both of the games, and trade games for the version specific Pokemon. Heart Gold will be the one that I won't restart, and Soul Silver just to keep re-playing.

And nostalgia. :3

Ayselipera

Well both games will have pokemon only exclusive to it.
    Also I like having two so I can make different teams without starting the same game over.
    Why wouldn't you buy both? Its more fun that way!

Years
    I may just end up buying Heart Gold, but there's a chance I'll buy Soul Silver as well. The main reason would be the same as several people stated here – one for my "main" game, and one for replaying. Also, I'd like the chance to play as both the male and female main characters – I would use the female character in HeartGold, and the male character in SoulSilver.
    Another reason is because I'd like the chance to choose two different starters. I'd pick Cyndaquil in HeartGold and Chikorita in SoulSilver.

Lastly, the games would be useful for obtaining version exclusives and for evolving Pokemon that can only evolve through a trade. I don't have Wi-Fi and probably won't be getting it any time soon, but I can borrow a DS from one of my sisters so that I can conduct the trades myself using the two games.

Terminator

Destiny is the only motivation
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2014
    im just gunna get soul silver simply cause i prefer lugia over ho-oh and i got silver and crystal back in the day and hopeing they kept the 16 badges and 2 elite four's in I might change my mind and get both so i can reset heart gold when im bored.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2011
    I always get both of the main games. I know that I'm paying more for essentially the same game, but having two Pokemon games allow for me to develop different teams and to trade with myself instead of trying to find people to trade with. That becomes especially hard if you don't have Wi-Fi, can't get a Wi-Fi connection in areas that have it and you kind of nervous to talk to people in general.

Besides that, I've always enjoyed playing the two Pokemon games ever since the original Gold and Silver, even though I got Silver before Gold. I actually rarely restart my Pokemon games so I can see both Soul Silver and Heart Gold being one of those games that I never ever restart. I do think that I'll be playing Soul Silver the most since Silver was the first Pokemon game I got, but I'm going to love playing Heart Gold too.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2009
    Pokemon is great

I'm gonna get both because I got Silver first time round, and I loved it! But now I want to try Heart Gold. Also, by the time it is predicted to come out, I'll have t least $240.

Years
    Well, I'll be getting Heart Gold in japanese to feed my hunger for G/S while I wait to get Soul Silver in english.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I guess because I want to be able to complete the Pokedex easier?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    What compells me to buy both? Simply for the exclusives and the ability to get all starters...xD

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    I've been thinking about this again. If it is true the female character will have more of a role, I'm thinking - seeing all three starters (I don't remember if the battle with Cal counts as seeing third remaining starter in your Pokédex)! Which means with the GTS, it should be possible to trade for one (as you can't trade for something you haven't seen.) elimitating the need for 2 games.
    Or I'm a miser. Yeah, go with that.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I also would like to get both, because to play as the female character as well, and see Gold play the supporting role instead.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2009
    Same as other people have said. I used my old Gold to give my Crystal starters. Same deal, except i'll be giving them to Silver.

splosh

Russian Reversaler
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Because those were my favourite games, and therefore I wouldn't mind playing it twice. :)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I would like to get both so I could have one for wifi battles, and the other one which will be the one I play most.

Back