• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What compells you to purchase both?

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
    Just out of curiosity -

For those of you who are going to be buying both HG and SS, why do you do it?

You can easily get the additional, game specific Pokémon from members on the Forum if that's what you wanted.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    I always get both versions.

My main one will be SoulSilver, which I won't ever restart and will use for my competitive team.

My secondary one will be HeartGold, which I'll just use to keep replaying.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I am buying both because Heart Gold is for myself and Soul Silver is for my brother.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Why?

Well it's easier if I just do things myself rather than asking someone to "help" me with it. Or begging someone to trade me a specific Pokémon. Why don't I just cut out the middleman? Plus I like seeing the differences for myself, not off some Youtube, or from a wall of text. Plus I ave one for my main and one as a side, just incase I ever want to start one over to play the adventure again. (:

Sigura

The biggest ****ing ***** here
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    IT makes it easier to have one full version, and one version to replay over and over. That way I don't get bored. I always buy each one.

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
    In my case I plan to import Soul Silver (the US version) because the games come out too late in europe.. Then I though I could buy Heart Gold in german when in comes out here later.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    As it has been mentioned, I get two for the purpose of one (in this case, Heart Gold) that will never get a restart and the other (soul silver) getting replayed over and over for the joy of it or other purposes.

I did the same thing with Pearl and Diamond; Diamond being my lock-down game and Pearl being my start over.

That's why I'll be getting both. If my sister ever gets into Pocket Monsters again, she can play Soul~

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I never played the whole 2nd gen game before,or ever pass a gym because my Crystal doesn't save anymore... =[[ Besides I want to see and compare the game differences and advances.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Heart Gold will be bought for me, while Soul Silver will be enjoyed by my younger brother, who got into the Pokemon craze shortly after Emerald got released. So, he will realize the awesomeness of the second generation.

I have done that with Diamond and Pearl. With Platinum, we just bought two copies. XD

Cham

Cool Trainer
    Years
    I bought the old versions back in the days before wifi, but now I will probably only get Heart Gold, since Gold was my favourite version. No need to get both versions now in my opinion, and if I do I will probably just get the opposite version on my R4.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Buying Heart Gold for me and Soul Silver for my brother allows me to trade back and forth without asking for a pokemon in the Quick Trade Center, which is another reason.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    If I can of course, I'll get both because they'll one day serve as a great piece of nostalgia for when I'm older. Plus, it's two times the fun!

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
    I'm getting both so I can use one for my main game that I'll never restart and put all my good teams on and the other one I'll use for more carefree gaming and can restart whenever I want.

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
    Years
    I have a compulsory need to have both versions. Every main game must be in my possession. I like having options. And I always have one that I can play through and one I can have as my main game.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I'll probably do what I usually do and buy one version (Soul Silver) first, and complete it as much as I possibly can. Then, when I've gotten so far that resetting will be out of the question, I'll buy Heart Gold. I already own two DSes, trading between the two will be extremely easy.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I always have a 'base game' concept. I have one main game, which I fill the PokeDex in, and the other games are just used to serve the base game. I don't want to rely on WiFi trading and that, so I'll be getting both.

Years
    Lugia and Ho-oh. Those two are the only things I can see from getting either HG or SS. Oh, and the possibility of Celebi being an event pokemon.

If it turns out I'm lucky enough to get a Mystic Ticket, I won't bother buying them and stick to Platinum. Or I might just buy it for the nostalgia.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Because of all the version exclusives; because I've never gotten both versions in a set before (it's always been one for me and one for my brother), and because I feel like it.

Back