• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What could have been.....

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    I was reading TV Tropes when I found this out (This is all true, I'm not making this up):

Apparently, Ash was orriginally going to have a Clefairy instead of a Pikachu (It was the first Pokemon ever made, EVER). Think about it: if successful as a franchise icon as Pikachu is, Brawl players could have been able to play a Clefairy, that could Metronome other fighters' Final Smashes for its own Final Smash... Strange if you ask me, but then again, there's the Mt. Moon episode, which ends with all the Clefairy evolving to Clefable. Imagine how different the series would be if Clefairy was the mascot instead of Pikachu, why the mascot was changed to Pikachu (and why exactly Pikachu) remains unknown to this day.......

The anime was originally going to be only one season, ending with Ash defeating Gary and winning the Pokemon League, but unfortunatly, executive meddling got in the way, along with the production of Gold and Silver (which were originally going to be the last games in the series if not for the fans), as a result: Ash loses the league, with the first place member remaining shiloutted, then the Orange Islands arc was born, it would later happen in Johto, considering that G/S/C was originally going to be the last in the series, but executive meddeling happened again, and Ash lost the league again. If he won, and R/S/E was made either way, R/S/E would have had it's own anime series with Brendan as the main character, but the league losing and executive meddling cycle would repeat of course, leading to what the anime is today,

Knowing the anime was originally to end with that, the controversial concept art for the B/W anime still lingers, meaning clearly, if true, that Ash will lose the league once more (sheesh, at this rate, Ash will never be a Pokemon Master), but at least he's apparently wearing the same outfit as Black

After all, the Anime will have to end at some point, as nothing lasts forever, but what do you think, should Ash have had a Clefairy instead of a Pikachu, and should have the anime ended with Ash becoming the champion?

Years
    why the mascot was changed to Pikachu (and why exactly Pikachu) remains unknown to this day.......
    There was a poll in Japan where players ultimately decided who the mascot would be. There are no results on the internet but the poll featured Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, etc.

The anime was originally going to be only one season, ending with Ash defeating Gary and winning the Pokemon League, but unfortunatly, executive meddling got in the way,
    Unfortunately? It would have made zero sense for a random, idiotic, ten-year-old from the sticks who recently started to just come up and win the Pokemon league with unevolved Pokemon.

It is interesting to think about what really could have happened. I'm positive that the franchise would have been less successful with Clefairy as the mascot.

Last edited:

Masquerainisthajam

Self-Proclaimed Gym Leader
    Years
    Ash? With a Clefairy? Please!! It's impossible to see those two together as traveling buddies! Sure, Metronome would be powerful and a possible winner of the various battles, but how would that really benefit the show?

And what about TR?

Oh, and what about Misty's Bike? If there was that whole Spearow incident and Ash had Clefairy, what would it do? Sing it to sleep? Give it an unsuccessful Metronome attack? Misty would have never put in on Ash to get her a new bike! And she keeps reminding him of it!

Pikachu is the perfect fit for Ash. Enough said. :)

Tiax

It's Show Time
    Years
    Clefairy and Pikachu... Pikachu's more...attractive than Clefairy. It stands out more, I guess. Let's go with that.

Ash and Clefairy? No. Ash and Eevee? Yes. Gary doesn't deserve Eevee.

redbaron2005

Pokemon Discovery Team
    Years
    Thats very amazing, I wonder the possibility on that too, the end is inevitable as I have done some research of my own, for example, take a look at the Sinno region, then look for it as a part of Japan, then find Kento, Jhoto, and Hoen, you will also notice, these 4 regions only take up about %40 of Japan, there is still another %60 to go, meaning just that many more episodes, and pokemon, and areas. Just like the first pokemon movie and the others teased us as kids about... "Just how manny pokemon are out there, we will never know.... .....the number of pokemon continues to grow as more land is discovered, foreshadowing years in the past... that pokemon is the same world, as this... only thing is... (All good things come to an end) just like some time soon, the simpsons will give out... just like disco, peace & love, the perfect america, and the american dream... its just life. But I love pokemon :)

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Heck no, Pikachu is perfect for Ash.
    I'm glad they changed it.
    I'm also glad it never ended.
    I don't care what some fans say on it getting repeative at some parts.
    I will always watch the show, Ash will remain my favorite no matter what.
    I'm excited for him pawning Paul though.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    That would have been really weird if he had Clefairy instead of Pikachu. I mean he wouldn't look strong with a pink puffball on his shoulder :/

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
    Glad that they didn't.

Not that Pickachu is a really masculine pokemon like a Charizard, Rhydon, Golem etc etc, but it's certainly got more clout in that department than Jigglypuff & Clefairy.

Young and teenage boys would have struggled more with associating with the franchise and it may not have taken of as well.

Infernape

fire power!
    Years
    I agree. I may not like Pikachu, but I never would have bothered to watch if he started with a clefairy. So, I guess I'm kinda glad he has a pikachu :O

Back