• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What could make you to stop being a pokemon trainer?

Years
    Maybe this seems like a very inusual questions, but I think that somethings could couse someone to stop batteling (and it doesn't include changeing your mind-for exemple that you just simply do not wish to do that any more or that you come to conclution that you want to be something else). I meant things like if in a battle one of your pokemon would die or just get really injured. Or maybe if you one day become a pokemon master or simply that strong that you would think that you achieved enough. Would you then stop fighting? What about if you would be a very lousy trainer and you really wouldn't be doing that good in battles? Could that kill your will for going on and standing up after badly loseing? Of course, like allways, you can have your own reasons that I didn't mention. So, write whatever you think (if anything could) could make you to stop following your dream or things that could make others do so.
    I am certain that things I mantion before wouldn't stop me from trying harder and living my dream. Eventhough I am sure things could and would get hard sometimes, making me sad, feelling tottaly chrashed or so, I would allways keep going. My passion and love for pokemon would just be to strong ( of course I love pokemon now too, but I have to live my life the way it is and not get drowned in dreams I can't acomplish), stronger even then death of my pokemon (which it wouldn't be so likely to happen, cuz I would never force my pokemon to give its life for winning (neither I would let it to do so)

Years
    What could make a trainer quit? Basically any event that greatly impacts the way they look at pokemon, trainers, pokemon battles, e.t.c

There are infinite reasons why a trainer would want to put down the pokeballs.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    This is a very complex question and quite confusing, but i would have to say that constant loosing and faillure would certainly not make me quit as a trainer but instead make me even more determined to work at bein the best. If anything i guess if something drastic was to happen to my pokemon then i would have no option to quit but any other thing which potentially could get in the way would not stop me from being a trainer.

~Kipper~

Poké King

A Mixed Bag...
    Years
    • MD
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    Just like to say something before answering your question. That though it make sense that your Pokémon could die it never has been truly addressed in the Anime whether they could die, maybe because its a basic assumption that they could die or maybe as its a show for kids they thought they shouldn't bring the subject up that much. The only example I can think of that somewhat goes there is that its been said if the flame on a Charmander goes out then they will die so it can be assumed that the same be for its evolutions though I have seen Ash's Charizard's tail submerged in water so maybe only Charmanders fire is to weak to withstand water as it be put out where as its evolutions are strong enough to make the fire produced from there tail intense enough to be fine.

Well, onto the actual question lol.
    What could make me stop being a Pokémon Trainer, nothing I can think of short of dying myself because even if a Pokémon or Pokémon of mine died if that is possible which it should be I still go on fighting in there memory though I probably never capture a Pokémon that was the same Species as them so if my poor Charmander some how died I could never have the heart to train another one or its evolutions at least a good while. Because even if I achieved greatness and became a quote on quote Pokémon Master even if I know longer traveled battling/capturing & raising Pokémon I still on a daily basis raise the Pokémon I did capture and I believe as long as you train/raise Pokémon you can be considered a Pokémon Trainer like Breeders & Coordinations are by default considered Pokémon Trainers even if they don't do the whole traveling thing. Plus even if I grew old and no longer enjoyed the thrill of traveling I probably get into teaching young Trainers and aid them with all the knowledge of Pokémon I gained over the years, maybe even get into Pokémon Research. I probably envision myself in life if Pokémon existed that I start off as a Trainer, become a bit of a Breeder and become a Coordinator after winning at least one Tournament. Eventually I achieve as much greatness I could in the world of Pokémon, maybe become a Gym Leader and if so then I leave the Gym to my children when I am a ripe old age and finally just live the rest of my days at my home helping young Trainers out with my vast knowledge of Pokémon.

Last edited:
    Years
    If one of my pokemon got so badly hurt and I felt it was my fault, I would quit.
    Maybe if I got i injured from an attack from a poke.
    As I'd get older I would stop.
    Or maybe because my pokes got out of control.

There is alot of reasons.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Just like to say something before answering your question. That though it make sense that your Pokémon could die it never has been truly addressed in the Anime whether they could die, maybe because its a basic assumption that they could die or maybe as its a show for kids they thought they shouldn't bring the subject up that much. The only example I can think of that somewhat goes there is that its been said if the flame on a Charmander goes out then they will die so it can be assumed that the same be for its evolutions though I have seen Ash's Charizard's tail submerged in water so maybe only Charmanders fire is to weak to withstand water as it be put out where as its evolutions are strong enough to make the fire produced from there tail intense enough to be fine.

Well, onto the actual question lol.
    What could make me stop being a Pokémon Trainer, nothing I can think of short of dying myself because even if a Pokémon or Pokémon of mine died if that is possible which it should be I still go on fighting in there memory though I probably never capture a Pokémon that was the same Species as them so if my poor Charmander some how died I could never have the heart to train another one or its evolutions at least a good while. Because even if I achieved greatness and became a quote on quote Pokémon Master even if I know longer traveled battling/capturing & raising Pokémon I still on a daily basis raise the Pokémon I did capture and I believe as long as you train/raise Pokémon you can be considered a Pokémon Trainer like Breeders & Coordinations are by default considered Pokémon Trainers even if they don't do the whole traveling thing. Plus even if I grew old and no longer enjoyed the thrill of traveling I probably get into teaching young Trainers and aid them with all the knowledge of Pokémon I gained over the years, maybe even get into Pokémon Research. I probably envision myself in life if Pokémon existed that I start off as a Trainer, become a bit of a Breeder and become a Coordinator after winning at least one Tournament. Eventually I achieve as much greatness I could in the world of Pokémon, maybe become a Gym Leader and if so then I leave the Gym to my children when I am a ripe old age and finally just live the rest of my days at my home helping young Trainers out with my vast knowledge of Pokémon.

What about the Ghost Tower? The graves of dead Pokemon...

I would only quit being a trainer if i got married or something..

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
    Years
    Well some time ago I considered to quit being a pokemon trainer if my training wouldn't gain any major achievements.. but now I really think this wouldn't stop me. I don't know eventhough I am older than I was then and I don't dream as much as used to, I still want to have adventures.. to travell.. to see so many different places and with all thos magnificent pokemon! I think this really is something worth wild :D!!! Also if there came a case (which I so hope it wouldn't) that one of mine pokemon died, that wouldn't stop me. I would be sad and I would probably need some time to move on but I later I would still carry on. But I'm certain that I wouldn't find myself in any battles where there would be a chance for my pokemon to die, except for the case of rescuing somebody.. Oh and if one day I would accomplis my dreams and become a pokemon master I would carry on and work togheter with my pokemon as a Pokemon Coordinator, because I like that it is also a kind of a challenge and I would get to see if my pokemon did good on contests as well as in battles.

Years
    If I became seriously injured or ill might prompt me to stop being a trainer. But if I could still interact with Pokemon, it wouldn't be too bad.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Interesting. Probably the amount of stress that you have to undergo. I mean, seeing you're Pokémon getting injured nearly all the time, I probably can't handle that.

Other than just quitting being a trainer, I'd look for some alternative way to still be associated with Pokémon.

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    I know what could stop people from continuing to be a Pokemon trainer.
    Me stealing all there money and Pokemon, Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, now walk the plank!!!!!
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Well, I guess if my pokemon got seriously injured because I pushed them to hard then that would impel me to stop. Or if they didn't want to have a trainer, and be free. Then I'd stop.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I would only stop if my Pokemon wern't cute anymore. Well actually I wouldn't stop because I'd just want to be the best, and then when I get the best, People will look up to my cute Pokemon so I'd never stop. XD

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    This is a very complex question and quite confusing, but i would have to say that constant loosing and faillure would certainly not make me quit as a trainer but instead make me even more determined to work at bein the best.
    ~Kipper~

No kidding. If losing constantly made Trainers quit, Ash would've been out of the Anime a long time ago.

I'd say that if a Trainer was forced to really examine the morals of Pokemon Training (the general concept, basically), they might think of quitting. But that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Fortunately, the Anime is too simple for anyone in it to think of things like that.

Back